Game-Labs Forum

What are the three most important personal OW/battle skills?

One simple question:

Name your personal three most important OW/Battle skills.

Please use this format:

1. Tagging
  2. Manual sailing
  3. Knowledge about ship differences

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

Would add ...

1. spatial awareness and ...

2. timing to that.

Meaning e.g. the knowledge if you have enough space to tack, if you have the right angle and are slow enough to get a good rake or if you have enough time to load double shot before you pass your enemy.

Edited by Navalus Magnus
  • Like 1

1) not caring who the enemy captain is-If you start a battle vs a vet which you fear alone from reading the name, you put yourself at a disadvantage, because that "fear" or respect doesnt allow you to make full use of your knowledge. 

2) situational awareness

3) angling!

• Like 2

1. Confidence/Competence (knowing yourself, your enemy, your ability and your limitations)

2. Knowing when to fight (from tagging on OW to when to send yourself into the fray)

3. Knowing when to run (When to fall back on OW and how not to throw your ship away)

• Like 1

1. situational awareness

2. Tagging (a good tag is half battle won)

3. Knowledge about ship differences (you must know what you and your enemy can do during battle and plan accordingly to that)

• Like 1

1) The  ability to anticipate where an opponent will be.

2) Knowing what you are able to do and what your opponent(s) can do.

3) Forcing your foe to react.

I'm not sure how to express the above more simply.  Number 1) is the most important -- If you lack the skill to find a player to attack, there is no PvP. 

Not sure if I understand the question.  Does the 'OW' refer to the skills needed BEFORE you enter a combat instance, or does it distinguish between NA-OW and NA-Legends?

3 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

1) The  ability to anticipate where an opponent will be.

2) Knowing what you are able to do and what your opponent(s) can do.

3) Forcing your foe to react.

I'm not sure how to express the above more simply.  Number 1) is the most important -- If you lack the skill to find a player to attack, there is no PvP. 

Not sure if I understand the question.  Does the 'OW' refer to the skills needed BEFORE you enter a combat instance, or does it distinguish between NA-OW and NA-Legends?

OW/battle means before the battle starts and during the battle.

4. how to properly encircle a battle instance in prep to revenge gank

5. how to click multiple times before tagging to get everyone in the zone for the pull

6. how to bring more repairs than the enemy

All essential skills for a captain

Edited by Slim McSauce

1. Bigger ship isnt the best, the best ship is the ship ye know to sail; know when ye have to flee, know when ye have to fight...

2. Know the wind

3. Stay out of range of your enemy's cannons

(4. Dont be so hurry)

Edit: 5: Drink all the rum before to sink...

Edited by Nick the cursed
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

1. Know your ship. Very, very well.

2. Be unpredictable. I've charged headlong into several enemies as a solo player and watched them smash I to each other trying to maneuver because they had NO idea wtf I was up to.

3. Always, always keep an escape option open. If you are down to the last two tricks in your bag, time to bail. Personal rule that has kept me alive in otherwise unsurviveable situations.

4. Be bold and clever.... sail in OW inside AI fleets, hide in cays and inlets, etc. I've joined an enemy convoy in OW before and sailed with them for a good ten minutes giving position reports without anyone even noticing.

5. HAVE FUN! Congratulate your enemy when they win. They might just let you slide next time they catch you with your pants down.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...