Game-Labs Forum

Anti-climatic Endings

mrm5117

I had finished a Union campaign previously and last night unexpectedly completed a Confederate campaign. I had played through the Battle of Washington but lost the southern half of that battle at the end (couldn't hold the city itself). I was just playing around last night from a mid-point save and realized it wasn't early enough to try to deploy one of my stronger corps to the southern portion of the battle instead but kept playing anyway. Apparently I held out just long enough that the battle ended and I won the campaign. I was moments away from losing the city with only one brigade left and had only one artillery battery defending one of the forts so it felt kind of cheap, but it worked. 

That plus the fact that once you win the campaign for either side you get a quick summary screen and then simply back to the main menu made it feel underwhelming/anti-climatic. Because of the monumental achievement (or failure if you lose), shouldn't there me a bit more pomp and circumstance at the end? A short video? A montage of newspaper headlines and music? A chance to view your entire army on parade? A chance to ride up and down your dress-parade assembled division lines with your corps commanders and get a hurrah from your troops as you pass by? Something to reflect the final pride you should feel after a win? After a campaign loss, maybe you get to play through a surrender formality and see your divisions lay down their arms and march behind enemy lines for capture and have your corps commanders relinquish their swords. Something to add more drama and finality to it all.

Sounds good to me.

If I ever get there. Would be a good idea at least to be able to see in detail the ups and downs of the Campaign. Be good to see number of casualties suffered, Generals lost/promoted. Those that survived. See if any units went through to the end. Be ideal to be able to print it out to examine and look back on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...