Game-Labs Forum

Proposition for French Ranks

Since I play Naval Action, I am somehow disappointed with the French Ranking in Naval Action.

I made some checks to confirm or refute my intuitions. Now, I can propose something. I know this is a detail, but this may be important for immersion in the timeline.

Please, refer to

Wikipedia - Grades de la Marine nationale française

Google translation is your friend, but I can be too if some further clarification is necessary.

First remark, for determination of the highest rank, ranks above “Lieutenant Général des Armées Navales” are honorific ranks only (limited to old fat guys like I am more and more). I would have preferred to limit the highest rank in Naval Action to something lower than that (the Lieutenant General du Ponant was in fact commanding the French Fleet in Mediterranean Sea), but there are not enough ranks below this, as commanding officers, even of tiny boats.

Taking into account the ranks used from Colbert (minister of Louis XIV) to 1786, I propose the french ranking to be:

1. Garde de la Marine
  2. Capitaine de Flûte
  3. Lieutenant de Frégate
  4. Enseigne de Vaisseau
  5. Capitaine de Brûlot
  6. Lieutenant de Vaisseau
  7. Capitaine de Frégate
  8. Capitaine de Vaisseau
  9. Chef d’Escadre
  10. Lieutenant Général
  • Like 1

Current ranks are a mix for consistency with other nations. Maybe they could be updated for something more historical later.

27 minutes ago, Eleazar de Damas said:

I would have preferred to limit the highest rank in Naval Action to something lower than that (the Lieutenant General du Ponant was in fact commanding the French Fleet in Mediterranean Sea), but there are not enough ranks below this, as commanding officers, even of tiny boats.

There is either

• tough older, 'Capitaine de Galiote' after the 'Lieutenant de Vaisseau'
  • though titles, 'Brigadier des Armées Navales' (1782) or 'Chef de Division' (1786) after 'Capitaine de Vaisseau'

Although I think that later in the 18th century there were more Lieutenant-Généraux than just for the Ponant & Levant: https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=-WBAAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=fr&pg=GBS.RA2-PA3

9 minutes ago, Barberouge said:

You can propose new ones here.

Thanks for the link.  I looked over the suggestions and they are all terrible for me.  I'm a military guy and all of those "fun" Pirate ranks drive me crazy.  As Pirates can be from any nation, I would love their ranks to be a mix of all the other Nation's military ranks.  I suspect its a battle I will never win. What's wrong with the current day French naval ranks?  they are:

Aspirant

Enseigne de vaisseau de deuxieme classe

Enseigne de vaisseau de premiere classe

Lieutenant de vaisseau

Capitaine de corvette

Capitaine de fregate

Capitaine de vaisseau

Contre Amiral

Vice Amiral

4 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

Thanks for the link.  I looked over the suggestions and they are all terrible for me.  I'm a military guy and all of those "fun" Pirate ranks drive me crazy.  As Pirates can be from any nation, I would love their ranks to be a mix of all the other Nation's military ranks.  I suspect its a battle I will never win. What's wrong with the current day French naval ranks?  they are:

Aspirant

Enseigne de vaisseau de deuxieme classe

Enseigne de vaisseau de premiere classe

Lieutenant de vaisseau

Capitaine de corvette

Capitaine de fregate

Capitaine de vaisseau

Contre Amiral

Vice Amiral

Casue exactly what you said, it's today's french naval ranks, all the ranks except for Pirates are based off the time period Ranks.  Like US does not have a Commodore rank any more as the ranks changed from using Traditional British ranks to what we have now.  Remember folks that they are talking about adding 5 more ranks when the game release so if your military had more ranks/grades they might get in there.  

And I agree the Pirates are kinda silly and kinda wish they had better names after having played pirate for so long, but hard to give them a structure military rank when that was not what they where meant to be.  Maybe we will see that get changed if they ever get to pirate mechanics in game.