Game-Labs Forum

Games dying, as a communtity lets band together to change it...

Devs and Captains,

I totally agree with Norfolk.

The PVE server is an awesome resource that is being wasted. It's best use, aside from providing play for those that simply don't want to PVP, is to train the new comers up till they are ready to go PVP and be the asset that makes the PVP server throb with the excitement of a busy city. We want them schooled in the social norms that will make the server work but also realize that this server is where the BIG BOYS play and that you simply cannot be a snowflake or you really need to go back and play on the PVE server. I was in high school in Texas in the '60s and I was in the US Coast Guard, all years sea duty. If I were to have gotten upset every time someone called me a name, bullied me or bested me I'd be dead by now from angst. Rough locker room type of talk and behavior is to be expected and if they can't stand it they need to go back to the PVE server. We need to toughen these recruits for the PVP server and that is where mentoring and teaching by the elders from the PVP server shines. And in no way, shape or form do I advocate meanness, cheating or any other unsportsmanlike bad behavior. 

I like the tutorial, I haven't finished yet, the AI is fun to practice with. You simply CANNOT have a better instructor than a human. NOTHING else can properly prepare a Noob for truly enjoying and integrating into the PVP server. To accomplish this we must have the ability to PVP on the PVE server (I duck quickly for the incoming rotten tomato. "Stand steady Seadog Wade.") with mutual consent. We must also have green on green, with mutual consent, on both servers. There really is no better way to train newcomers or the people in your clan. Or on the PVP server the solos. 

It is late and I must go.

Fair sailing good night all.      

Edited by EdWatchmaker

@EdWatchmaker

The one thing I do disagree with your comment is allowing PvP on the PvE server. The PvE server must and always remain PvE. Practice dueling, or mutual consent or Green on Green is all PvP and should always remain so.

This is one way how the EvE players trick the new guys into getting ganked in High-Sec. It’s a slippery slope....

Co-Op however is a key cornerstone to game play whether doing Missions, Crafting or the EPICs on either server. Its an MMO and the game should encourage group play besides just the clans. Solo players coming together are harder to take out than a solo trader...

Norfolk.

• Like 1

Capt Norfolk,

That's why I told Seadog Wade to stand steady before I put in the Mutual Consent clause. I didn't think of the word dueling. It is after midnight here and I'm not at my best. HAHAHAHA, Just try thinking coherently when you have a 3 yo 36 kilo yellow lab/golden retriever nose bumping you to play. The reason I'm replying is if someone else misses that their'e going to think I want to turn the PVE server into Dante's Inferno. 

You have a great and wonderful day and fair sailing.     

• Like 1

The PVE and PVP community are at complete odds I can't ever see them "banding together". Until they do away with the ship building meta I don't see anything changing as the time investment is just too steep for any casuals. I gave up on PVP when I realized I just don't have the time to put into the game to be remotely competitive as I would need:
1. To stay current on shipbuilding meta (which ship build + upgrades are considered best for PvP and what suits my playstyle)
2. To stay supplied so if I lose a ship I won't be stuck building/gathering resources for a new one for two weeks or waiting on clan mates to build one for me (they all left anyways for the exact same reasons)
3. To keep my PvP skills honed through hunting/defending 

I'm now of the opinion there needs to be a separate forum for PVE as PVP is making the most noise and any PVE'er who raises their head seems to get shouted down anyways. 

2 hours ago, Bjerg Bjergsson said:

The PVE and PVP community are at complete odds I can't ever see them "banding together". Until they do away with the ship building meta I don't see anything changing as the time investment is just too steep for any casuals. I gave up on PVP when I realized I just don't have the time to put into the game to be remotely competitive as I would need:
1. To stay current on shipbuilding meta (which ship build + upgrades are considered best for PvP and what suits my playstyle)
2. To stay supplied so if I lose a ship I won't be stuck building/gathering resources for a new one for two weeks or waiting on clan mates to build one for me (they all left anyways for the exact same reasons)
3. To keep my PvP skills honed through hunting/defending 

I'm now of the opinion there needs to be a separate forum for PVE as PVP is making the most noise and any PVE'er who raises their head seems to get shouted down anyways. 

My PvP ships cost 1.5 mill (on average) fully upgraded. One 5th rate kill = 1.5 mill in PvP marks. So as long as I get 1 kill before I die, my replacement costs are covered. I use cheap upgrades and purchase ships from shipbuilders so I don't have to worry about crafting or gathering resources. This is how I manage to live a 100% PvP lifestyle while working 40-50 hr work weeks irl. The game doesn't have to be a time sink if you don't want it to be.

I can find common ground with PvEers and casual players as they are the key to a healthy population (i am a casual player myself). But I think that many of the suggestions coming from that crowd have better solutions or the ideas are too one-sided for me to get behind. Its hard to find a balance for both playstyles, this is why the devs still haven't gotten it right after 3 years. 

@Bjerg Bjergsson

I must strongly disagree the PvE and PvP community are NOT at complete odds with each other. You want a completely separate forum, utter madness man. I Will agree that there is closed minded players from both PvE and PvP and like all closed-minded people they never come with closed mouths...

The concepts been discussed revolve around a totally safe PvE zone for new players to [PvP Caribbean] this to help them transcend to long term Captains. Which is not happening at the moment for whatever reasons.

I took a different view, based on my EvE Online experience. We all start as PvE players and at a certain rank and craft level the game would allow for a second Player Character to be created on PvP.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25951-idea-norfolk-nnoob-goes-gank-ing/?tab=comments#comment-553556

This if my idea was adopted would lead to a more formulaic starting structure that through tutorials, mission unlocks and tasks gives the new player a more rounded view of all aspects of NA-OW. This would include Co-Op mission PvE Chat but NO duels or pvp of any kind.

This starting structure gives a lot more polish to the final product that’s deeper and richer than the current tutorial and we all need to complete it. At which point the PC may decide to open a new character on [PvP Carribbean] and at which point he will be introduced to AGONY. Or basic PvP work.

When PvP is introduced now, the player will be able to handle the different playstyle much more easily as he’s got a good grounding of the game. This as opposed to dropping the current Norfolk nNoob in the preferable deep end...

The problem of ship crafting is all part of the process whether PvP or PvE. There is no issue in my eyes from either world. I just have no problems it, but that's just me.

“PVP is making the most noise and any PVE'er who raises their head seems to get shouted down anyways.”

This is complete nonsense sorry. From an over weighted community in favor of a complete server merge just a handful of PvE’er managed to change our great leaders mind not that long ago...

My idea gives a polish to the in-game start for the first few days or longer. This I believe is vital for a successful launch of Naval Action Open Word that will retain the rookie and getting him hooked. We all must come together to help this game through its final stages of development rather than moving it apart...

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

• Like 1