Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion:

Radial chat menu with pre-set phrases during the battle instance.

Details:

It could look like

ld3b20P.jpg.161a899e05f32b4dc6ac8611ed7401fa.jpg

or this

post-66801-0-95801700-1416947962.jpg

But ofc more nautical like ...

Chart-of-signal-flags.jpg0527d2652b51fbb12500ae4bf27a887e.jpg?wid

Would be used for teamchat only.

Commands I could imagine:

• engage more closely
  • reduce sails
  • hoist more sails
  • prepare tack
  • retreat
  • concentrate fire
  • get into formation
  • break formation
  • everyone for himself
  • Need assistance
  • Attack A,B,C
  • Defend A,B,C

Pros:

• less typing in battle
  • clear and easy to understand (especially with localization in mind - english speaking player uses "engage more closely" and the german player will read "näher ran an den Feind")
  • reduces impact of voice chat
  • helps deaf people

Cons:

• Battle chat spam

9 minutes ago, Liq said:

Warthunder solved that by having a forced cooldown between the messages, excessive spamming was punished with chat bans

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 14

Good idea.

Examples are "micromanagement".

Keep orders in 3 groups - Van, Center, Rear.

Forget signals for individual ships.

You should find plenty of examples, and a few can be adapted to NA simple reality, in here

http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/age-of-sail/the-elements-and-practice-of-rigging-and-seamanship/naval-tactics-part-the-second-the-system-of-m-bourde-de-villehuet/

http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/age-of-sail/the-elements-and-practice-of-rigging-and-seamanship/naval-tactics-vol-ii/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Good idea.

Examples are "micromanagement".

Keep orders in 3 groups - Van, Center, Rear.

Forget signals for individual ships.

This implies that your group is organised enough to have a van, centre, rear.  Any Capitol Defence battles I have seen can only be described as "furballs", with 3 or 4 self appointed leaders hurling invective at everyone....got a signal flag for that?  In Subs we had "The Dolphin Code" (too big to print here but worth your while to google)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oberon74 said:

I have seen can only be described as "furballs", with 3 or 4 self appointed leaders hurling invective at everyone

True. I come to think of Z suggestion as an option, not something you need to use.

We did have the split during Sea Trials and well into EA, with fleets being organized like that. 

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

True. I come to think of Z suggestion as an option, not something you need to use.

Think of the immersion if we got rid of Comms, appointed an Admiral and had everybody learn their signal book! No chance unfortunately.  Might as well wish for a sextant and slate.

Edited by Oberon74
Sp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

We did have the split during Sea Trials and well into EA, with fleets being organized like that. 

There have been some great old battles posted in the past with very organized and displined fleets.  I think for my own clan the lines went out when the old flag system left cause we used it to circle as the circle of doom cloased in.  Other wise smashing into to none PvPers with a "Pirate Ball." Tends to work better cause it all goes to chaos when you smash into each other in big fleets lo.  Sadly the only time we see these any more is shall battles cause to many ports have way to low of a BR.  Half the ports on the US coast is around 2500-5K mark.  Would be nice to actually use a nations/clans numbers in PB more than just one port or two.  They really need to look at some of the BR's I think that is another reason a lot of folks won't attack ports.  They are limited to ELITE small 6-10 man groups where a mistake can quickly throw a fight and not be able to bring in numbers where you can make up for a few weak players.

As for the topic though wouldn't be bad to have a few quick response commands in game, but that means coding and we won't see anything like that added until after release prob.

• Like 1

you may also require:

Affimative

acknowledged 

astern

beam

bow

conform to leaders movements

enemy in sight 

form line astern/abeam/ echelon left/right

negative

not under control (meaning rudder jammed)

port

starboard

quarter

Most terms should be well known or make sense to most people,  and can be transmitted using 1 or 2 letter or numerical codes or a combination of both making it a very fast means of communication. for example:

a port turn could be port + course desired,

manoeuvres could be form line astern or form line abeam port,

sighting report could be enemy in sight starboard bow

easily entered into chat with at most 2 letters and 3 numbers for course changes, i.e. Port numerical 270.  19th century flag signals were generally that simple

I believe the radial chat has to be simple (not a hole summery of all english words), easy to understand (so no numbers) and only grp orders (no personal orders)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

There have been some great old battles posted in the past with very organized and displined fleets.  I think for my own clan the lines went out when the old flag system left cause we used it to circle as the circle of doom cloased in.  Other wise smashing into to none PvPers with a "Pirate Ball." Tends to work better cause it all goes to chaos when you smash into each other in big fleets lo.  Sadly the only time we see these any more is shall battles cause to many ports have way to low of a BR.  Half the ports on the US coast is around 2500-5K mark.  Would be nice to actually use a nations/clans numbers in PB more than just one port or two.  They really need to look at some of the BR's I think that is another reason a lot of folks won't attack ports.  They are limited to ELITE small 6-10 man groups where a mistake can quickly throw a fight and not be able to bring in numbers where you can make up for a few weak players.

As for the topic though wouldn't be bad to have a few quick response commands in game, but that means coding and we won't see anything like that added until after release prob.

It's mostly off-topic.... Needs to be adressed though. Low BR is good, as even with low BR its hard to get a full fleet to participate with current population.

Some mod should probably move this thread to another discussion though.

4 minutes ago, z4ys said:

pls post some example pictures

By simple selection of keys 1, 2, 3 one can select elements to command ( wingman, 2nd element, high cover flight, wtc ), then commands are available for the one selected at first.

post-66801-0-95801700-1416947962.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Add the possibility of drawing on the battle map by the group commander.

that should be part of an additional suggestion regarding pb (for example) to assign 1 or 2 battle commanders with additional tools. But irl the battle plan was done the day before not during the battle.

8 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

With the voice program as discord and TS, this thing is not really needed.

Is everyone in voice when doing random battles in capital waters for example?

Deaf people play the game as well and it could be an awesome tool  for them.

Edited by z4ys

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

Just imagine 15 randoms playing with this commands.

i added it already as con. But shittalk is already happening during the battle.

2 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Do you usually see 15 guys making the effort to shittalk while a battle is on? I really dont think so.

Warthunder solved that by having a forced cooldown between the messages, excessive spamming was punished with chat bans

Edited by Liq
  • Like 2