Game-Labs Forum

v1.10 Shiloh as Confeds

Playing with v1.10, twice (as the Confeds), I have secured and held Pittsburg Landing at Shiloh on the 1st Day with the Victory Condition verified, yet it proceeded to the next day anyhow!

Is this WAD or did the "timer" fix for Shiloh in the v1.10 Hotfix break something?

The way it is now, I will have to deliberately play for a draw and forego attempting Pittsburg Landing at all.

Edited by Gray_Lensman

The first time it might have been (contested), which is why I played it through a second time. The second time it was definitely secured before the time ran out. I dont't remember a  "finish" button at that point, it just pops up the next day message which totally surprised me since I had just checked and verified the Victory condition(s).

Edit> I won this battle on the first day, using v1.09, (Pittsburg Landing) just last week, but decided to start the campaign over with the "ammo perk" fixed in v1.10 so I know it worked taking Pitttsburg Landing the first day before v1.10.

'

Edited by Gray_Lensman

Played Shiloh on MG, took Pittsburgh Landing and held it (with timer run out and a check in the victory condition at the top right). Ended in victory and returned to Camp.

Not sure what problem you are encountering but it works as advertised for me.

Tried it again last night and it worked that time. There was a difference however. The first two times cited above, I was using the U.I. and A.I. Customization Mod, (which claimed it was updated for game v1.10). As I understood, It supposedly wasn't supposed to make any modifications to the units or battles, so I hesitated to suspect it when I first posted. Now, I don't know. Since I won the battle, I moved on, so I can't test it again. Others will have to note if there is something at odds with the Confederate Shiloh battle using the U.I. and A.I. Customization Mod.

If you encounter a bug while running any of the mods, please report them in the mod threads first. Even if it doesn't seem like the mod changes would be related. In this case it's possible that I made a mistake when updating dll.

I'd never encountered the bug fixed in the patch, but I will try and recreate with the mod installed.

Edited by pandakraut

35 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

If you encounter a bug while running any of the mods, please report them in the mod threads first. Even if it doesn't seem like the mod changes would be related. In this case it's possible that I made a mistake when updating dll.

I'd never encountered the bug fixed in the patch, but I will try and recreate with the mod installed.

The reason I posted here was the fact that v1.10 patch made a change to the Shiloh timer so I didn't think it had anything to do with your mod. Only after playing it a third time with the mod removed did I find it rather coincidental and not definitive that it had anything at all to do with it.

edit> I liked the mod enough to put it back in after I moved on from Shiloh. 🙂

Edited by Gray_Lensman
  • Like 1

Understandable, just recommending that you check with mod makers first in the future. The devs have enough to deal with without adding the variance of modded files :) 

Using a 1.09 camp save with the customizations mod installed, I started a new battle and was able to get a first day victory at CSA Shiloh. Flag was not contested. The customizations mod only touches the assembly-csharp.dll, so if the Shiloh fix was not made in there then the 1.10 changes should definitely be in use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, pandakraut said:

Understandable, just recommending that you check with mod makers first in the future. The devs have enough to deal with without adding the variance of modded files :) 

Using a 1.09 camp save with the customizations mod installed, I started a new battle and was able to get a first day victory at CSA Shiloh. Flag was not contested. The customizations mod only touches the assembly-csharp.dll, so if the Shiloh fix was not made in there then the 1.10 changes should definitely be in use.

Ah, it looks as if the developer(s) did find a timer error in the Shiloh battle after all, and fixed it in the v1.11 Hotfix, so I was correct in assuming it was in the earlier official game patch and not your mod. (Due to the nature of the bug it was just a coincidence that the game worked the 3rd time with your mod removed as posted above.).

For sure, however, if i encounter other wrong behavior NOT mentioned in patch notes as being altered, the first thing I will look at is if it's a MOD issue. Still continuing to use your U.I. and A.I. Customization MOD and I thank you for testing and reposting it for compatibility with the new v1.11 hotfix patch. :)

On 9 June 2018 at 7:37 PM, Gray_Lensman said:

Ah, it looks as if the developer(s) did find a timer error in the Shiloh battle after all, and fixed it in the v1.11 Hotfix, so I was correct in assuming it was in the earlier official game patch and not your mod. (Due to the nature of the bug it was just a coincidence that the game worked the 3rd time with your mod removed as posted above.).

For sure, however, if i encounter other wrong behavior NOT mentioned in patch notes as being altered, the first thing I will look at is if it's a MOD issue. Still continuing to use your U.I. and A.I. Customization MOD and I thank you for testing and reposting it for compatibility with the new v1.11 hotfix patch. :)

Yup the Hotfix should have fixed this. If you have any further issues always remember to remove the Mod to isolate the issue. Be wary that if any unexpected patches and hotfixes are released (and unnoticed) this could conflict with the mod files, and therefore cause issues leading you to believe there is an issue with the game when in fact it's just an incompatibility/conflict issue caused by a mod.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sanny said:

Yup the Hotfix should have fixed this. If you have any further issues always remember to remove the Mod to isolate the issue. Be wary that if any unexpected patches and hotfixes are released (and unnoticed) this could conflict with the mod files, and therefore cause issues leading you to believe there is an issue with the game when in fact it's just an incompatibility/conflict issue caused by a mod.

I debated not replying to this, but decided you might like to know where I'm coming from and why I posted this thread here first.

The key to my earlier statement was encountering odd behavior NOT mentioned in patch notes. I am not a full fledged tester, preferring to just PLAY computer games, especially now since I'm retired, but with 20+ years modding games earlier in my life, and 40+ years troubleshooting control circuitry in my lifelong employment, the first thing you look at when a new problem is introduced, is what was the most known recent change that MOST likely would have had an effect on it. In this case, it was most likely the v1.10 patch since it SPECIFICALLY mentioned messing with the Shiloh timers. I considered it very unlikely that the U.I. and A.I. Customization Mod had anything to do with those, BUT in the interest of giving all the troubleshooting information I could, a lifelong habit that my fellow design engineers loved, I mentioned it anyhow AFTER I played the battle through a 3rd time a few days AFTER the original post. Turns out I was right and I'm pretty sure the programmer(s) looked at it for the same reason and came to the same conclusion and dug into it and found the issue, hence the v1.11 patch.

Incidentally, had this Shiloh timer issue NOT been mentioned as being worked on in the v1.10 patch notes, I would have been more suspicious of the U.I and A.I. Customization MOD before I made the Original starting post and I would have mentioned it in that thread first. That, my friend, is how 40+ years intuitive experience of troubleshooting works, and 9 times out of 10, it leads to much quicker isolation of error(s) in programming code, or logic control circuitry and it allowed me to retire with a substantial nest egg and play great computer games 24/7/365 except for sleeping of course. LOL.

• 1 month later...

I would like to report again the Shiloh victory conditions on first day are not working properly. I have played the scenario on 3rd of July, took as confederate Pittsburg Landing, kept Union units away from contesting the victory point and then after timer expired went into Day Two with Union occupying Victory point that i had to take again. I have a save game as a proof, and i didnt use any mods, only latest version 1.11

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bjesomar said:

I would like to report again the Shiloh victory conditions on first day are not working properly. I have played the scenario on 3rd of July, took as confederate Pittsburg Landing, kept Union units away from contesting the victory point and then after timer expired went into Day Two with Union occupying Victory point that i had to take again. I have a save game as a proof, and i didnt use any mods, only latest version 1.11

Though I thoroughly enjoyed and admired the combat mechanics of this game, the shifting of units in multiple day battles ruined the immersion for me and over the last several weeks this game has become shelfware for me. I won't buy another game from Game-Labs before observing plenty of You-Tube videos to see if they get rid of this stupid/ridiculous programming decision/behavior of rearranging units between days in multiple day battles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gray_Lensman said:

Though I thoroughly enjoyed and admired the combat mechanics of this game, the shifting of units in multiple day battles ruined the immersion for me and over the last several weeks this game has become shelfware for me. I won't buy another game from Game-Labs before observing plenty of You-Tube videos to see if they get rid of this stupid/ridiculous programming decision/behavior of rearranging units between days in multiple day battles.

Hi,

Having just finished Chancellorsville as the CSA on BG level. I understand what you are saying. It’s even worse when this is followed by Salem Church without a return to Barracks.

I was looking for a draw. The best could achieve with the size of my army. I managed it. Eventually. But your then sent straight into Salem Church. No return to Barracks.Ten brigades maximum are used. But chosen by the AL. After Chancellorsville some of my brigades were down to 150. The AL choose these. I had to face Union brigades of up to 2000. All the effort/time spent on Chancellorsville was lost in a skirmish. The only thing I could do was to hold my troops on the edge of the map and not contest this battle. Which saved me 3000 troops. But still had to take a big hit deduction in points !

So I settled for the points hit. Not best pleased.

But for me despite the failures with UG. I still find it better than any other ACW have played.

Being my first campaign I am not expecting to finish. More of a learning process of the Barracks system. This has caused me to now enter battles understrengh. But I know why and where I went wrong when first using the Barracks. So should mean My next campaign will be more successful.

So despite its shortcomings. I will continue.

But I totally understand where your coming from.

Best wishes

• 3 months later...