Game-Labs Forum

New Player Retention: Noobs & Seal Clubbing vs Seasoned PVPers

Just now, jointventure said:

hethwill still sailing 4 xebecs with unlimited chain?

didn't use chain on them, always free mode ( due to their exceptional and unique way with the wind ) or destroy :) 

carry on or need to breathe a bit more stale air ?

PvP players already have the patrol zones if they want quick PvP. I believe that if the amount of patrol zones were increased and more than one active in a day that it would help satisfy the players thirst for other players blood. (Except the jerks that are just looking for easy kills.)

The real problem is player retention. Make a safe zone for every Nation to do combat missions and it will go a long way toward the player retention. I am 53 years old and love the age of sail. I am not good at PvP, just not coordinated enough I guess and younger players fair better against me. I accept this because I am also able to learn and with my years of wisdom can out think some of these younger players. I have even bought my first Wasa. I love participating in Port battles. 

All Countries should have a starting port that has a big safe zone that will allow for experienced players to train new players, or new players to figure out things themselves. 

The PvP combat in this game is better than in any other game that I have played. It requires more skill and cooperation between team mates. Give new players a safe place to train without having to go to the boredom of the PvE server to learn and then having to start all over again on the PvP server.

My only other thought would be to give a player PvP marks for just participating in a PvP battle so that even the Seal being clubbed can be rewarded for participating.

Old Crusty 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2018 at 5:10 PM, Old Crusty said:

PvP players already have the patrol zones if they want quick PvP. I believe that if the amount of patrol zones were increased and more than one active in a day that it would help satisfy the players thirst for other players blood. (Except the jerks that are just looking for easy kills.)

The real problem is player retention. Make a safe zone for every Nation to do combat missions and it will go a long way toward the player retention. I am 53 years old and love the age of sail. I am not good at PvP, just not coordinated enough I guess and younger players fair better against me. I accept this because I am also able to learn and with my years of wisdom can out think some of these younger players. I have even bought my first Wasa. I love participating in Port battles. 

All Countries should have a starting port that has a big safe zone that will allow for experienced players to train new players, or new players to figure out things themselves. 

The PvP combat in this game is better than in any other game that I have played. It requires more skill and cooperation between team mates. Give new players a safe place to train without having to go to the boredom of the PvE server to learn and then having to start all over again on the PvP server.

My only other thought would be to give a player PvP marks for just participating in a PvP battle so that even the Seal being clubbed can be rewarded for participating.

Old Crusty 

^This here ^ 

You must have a no pvp zone if you want new players to progress and stay.

The only reason veterans disagree with this?? because they want to fight new players who have no chance of beating them.

Want PVP, Go to the patrol zones or hang around free-ports.......oh wait......you might lose.

1 hour ago, Crow said:

^This here ^ 

You must have a no pvp zone if you want new players to progress and stay.

The only reason veterans disagree with this?? because they want to fight new players who have no chance of beating them.

Want PVP, Go to the patrol zones or hang around free-ports.......oh wait......you might lose.

remove the reinforcement zones and replace with no pvp zones around non capturable ports, there is no real reason to have any other nation hanging around your nations starting ports other then to club the smaller less experienced players out of the game, as crow said nations can engage each other in the open sea, around free ports and contestable ports along with the patrol zones, not around nation capital ports, being around nation capital ports shows intent to club new players out of the game or to farm easy pvp marks from new players. if this cant be resolved restore the ability for the massive 25 ships fleets that roam ur countries starting ports to engage other nation players without a tag timer and apply area control to the npc's in that fleet. this will deteer other nations for going after starting ports.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:29 PM, Norfolk nChance said:

Zones don’t really seem to do the job whether The Rookie Shallows or Safe zones. They all suffer the same problem on the initial 5 to 10 days steep learning curve. The idea of all new players starting on PvE first I think goes along way to solve the starter problems. The Pop-Up spawn would lead to more ALT farming than you could believe and is none starter in my opinion.

There's probably a couple ways to go at this but there's definitely something to the idea.

I started on the PvE server.  This is my first MMO, first sandbox, first PvP environment, and probably a few other firsts, having mostly played Civ III, IV, V and VI (which probably explains my attraction to the Econ mechanics.  I already knew I was way, way over my head.  Spent quite a bit of time on PvE just sorting out how stuff worked.

My observation on some of the new players in my most recent clan is, yes, they passed the exam, but they seemed to lack a basic tactical sense and situational awareness that comes from merely being comfortable in the operating environment.  Defaulting ALL new players to the PvE server is probably a good idea, coupled with some sort of "are you sure" override to go directly to PvP.

What might make this actually work is to allow a PvE player below a certain rank (presumbably below what the final exam confers) to move to the PvP server with their experience and money.  The money would need to be capped at some reasonable amount.  But nothing else.  You are still fresh off the boat.  But with a bit of money in your pocket and some sense of what you might actually like to do.

PvE becomes an orientation environment.  Some folks will stay there, and that's fine.  But the ones that come over might be a bit better prepared.

• Like 1