Game-Labs Forum

50 minutes ago, koltes said:

Manual sailing was off few times especially during the tack. Trinc is not a very maneuverable ship (unless it was completely revamped in the past year)

I think last time you played there was no leeway, which changes the game completely for all the ships :) It's now impossible to make a tack with 6+ speed in the end in an unmodded Trinc.

55 minutes ago, koltes said:

If you choose to sink him and work on one side then select the leeward side and try to maintain same overall course when you disengage.

To my understanding a skilled enemy, especially with a tougher ship, won't let you do this -  he will out-dps you even when you're on the leeward side. That's why in such cases I try to use my extra maneuverability to go for demast or rake. I guess I would have to see what you mean though.

58 minutes ago, koltes said:

I don't know if you got stuck in irons and game him an opportunity to board

There's a determined defender perk now, it prevents you from boarding when you don't have more crew (at time of the duel, when you don't have 30% more crew than enemy). My goal was to use him to help me turn, or for him to try to break off - in which case I would have wind advantage again.

1 hour ago, koltes said:

When both of you moving in the same direction and you just gave him a broadside, then you tried to turn away to make a circle so you could unload again into the same side, its very easy for him to control the positioning. He just needs to sail brake and maintain on your six and stern camp you.

Which moment do you mean?

1 hour ago, koltes said:

With 4 bow cannons its not a very hard task to take out your rudder and therefore win positioning.

Right now those bow chasers are much more deadly, as with chain you can lower enemy sails by 15% with one salvo. Chains are limited though.

1 hour ago, koltes said:

1. The entire fight consists of mini engagements (when you line up for a broadside) and disengagements (when you are protecting your weak or angling). Think of Messerschmitt Bf 109 air combat when they would drop down from the sky and engage while building up kinetic energy during the dive and then disengage using built up energy to go back to the high altitude where they cannot be reached again. Trinc does is brilliantly with its long hull and decent speed inertia. Your fight was more like a dogfight circling each other, which is a pretty hard thing to do in a Trinc and is really not utilizing his strength fully;

That's an interesting approach which eg. Hachi uses. It's great for 2vs2+, however I'm not sure whether it gives results in 1vs1. I would gladly duel you though to see what you mean exactly :) What's your in-game nick?

Hey bud,

1 hour ago, vazco said:

I think last time you played there was no leeway, which changes the game completely for all the ships :) It's now impossible to make a tack with 6+ speed in the end in an unmodded Trinc.
Hmm, does that mean that leeway drift prevents you from using back yard from at 90° onwards to the wind? If that is the case then I don't think its the right game mechanic, but of course no point to argue about that. Heavier ships used to tack much faster if you flip back yards early at 90°. This way you will apply extra force to push your bow in the same direction helping with overall tacking speed. I must try that and see if this is still the case though. It should be else it wont make any sense.

To my understanding a skilled enemy, especially with a tougher ship, won't let you do this -  he will out-dps you even when you're on the leeward side. That's why in such cases I try to use my extra maneuverability to go for demast or rake. I guess I would have to see what you mean though.
General rule is that you want to be on his windward side right? You know that and the enemy knows that too. So what usually happens is that for the most part people will compete over the windward positioning. What I'm saying is that you can give it to him and instead go to his leeward side so long if you keep the distance and circle into him rather than away. This will make you heel much less even on the trinc.

There's a determined defender perk now, it prevents you from boarding when you don't have more crew (at time of the duel, when you don't have 30% more crew than enemy). My goal was to use him to help me turn, or for him to try to break off - in which case I would have wind advantage again.
You mean that you had determined defender and knew he could not board? That's all good. I wasn't sure if you have done it on purpose or not. Just pointed out.

Which moment do you mean?
Its a bit hard to explain. Your fighting style is to be very close and circle close to the enemy which is a very hard thing to do in a trinc unless they have buffed its turn rate significantly. Generally long hull ships are an ass to turn. You were against another trinc so didnt matter it was only a competition at who is better at manual sailing.
@9:35 for example you are very close (I know you just came out from camping his stern so not a criticism of your action, just an example) and gave him a broadside. Because you were so close all you could do is to turn away from him. Imagine adjusting your fighting style so you could generally keep greater distance (about 60-100 meters tops). After giving him a broadside you could circle counter clockwise instead (into him).

That's an interesting approach which eg. Hachi uses. It's great for 2vs2+, however I'm not sure whether it gives results in 1vs1. I would gladly duel you though to see what you mean exactly :) What's your in-game nick?
Trust me 1n1 it also works like a charm :) Especially when you are to take on a bigger targets.

• Like 1