Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hethwill the Red Duke

[suggestion] Trade hostile take-over

Recommended Posts

To mimic catastrophic change of authority upon a colony, I suggest that a Port goes under the following when it is conquered.

1. all ships being sold in the port are removed from the lists. They are not "stolen", they simply removed. Original owner can retrieve them. Kind of a "ship impounded" situation.

2. all Contracts are automatically removed from the lists with correspondent partial item quantities being "fulfilled". Example, a contract for 1000 Bananas that is yet at 300 out of 1000 will be removed from the lists and the contractor will be informed his contract has been partially fulfilled with the 300 units. These must be claimed, same as a fulfilled contract.

Pros

- new owners of the port hostile trade "take over" 

- more fierce defence of clan holdings

Cons

- ship business away from Safe Zones and Free Ports

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, to be completely opposite:

1. All ships being sold in the port immediately become the property of the conqueror.  To the Victor comes the spoils.

2. All contracts are removed and any "filled" portions become the property of the conqueror.  To the Victor etc.

 

Additionally, all warehouses (ALL) are looted by the Victor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oberon74 said:

Or, to be completely opposite:

1. All ships being sold in the port immediately become the property of the conqueror.  To the Victor comes the spoils.

2. All contracts are removed and any "filled" portions become the property of the conqueror.  To the Victor etc.

I thought about that :) but disregarded that due to several factors, in importance order - gameplay, RL examples, competitivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Or, to be completely opposite:

1. All ships being sold in the port immediately become the property of the conqueror.  To the Victor comes the spoils.

2. All contracts are removed and any "filled" portions become the property of the conqueror.  To the Victor etc.

i would say all property gets claimed and sold to base price the conqueror receives the cash into clan warehouse or maybe with the new currency system has to transport the cash back into their clan warehouse.

But i am against conqueror gets items

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I thought about that :) but disregarded that due to several factors, in importance order - gameplay, RL examples, competitivity.

Good points all.  My thinking is that the port becomes much more valuable and worthy of taking.  It also becomes more important to defend it.  How many of us still have outposts and warehouses in ports that an enemy has taken?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

 I dont see how it will make a port more valuable in that most people will remove goods/ships contracts when they know a port is in danger of being lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Headless Parrot said:

 I dont see how it will make a port more valuable in that most people will remove goods/ships contracts when they know a port is in danger of being lost. 

A port changed hands a short time ago when I was offline for a few days.  My outpost and warehouse are still there.  Business as usual for me, except its now an enemy port.  Don't even need a smugglers flag as they opened it for all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Headless Parrot said:

 I dont see how it will make a port more valuable in that most people will remove goods/ships contracts when they know a port is in danger of being lost. 

Sure. We've seen it. And raiding was good that day !

And it is not about making the port more valuable. It is about making the port important and not simply a depot for contracts and tax inflation, as one of the subsidiary factors of the mechanic.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you should add "meaningful" to sell it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

To mimic catastrophic change of authority upon a colony, I suggest that a Port goes under the following when it is conquered.

1. all ships being sold in the port are removed from the lists. They are not "stolen", they simply removed. Original owner can retrieve them. Kind of a "ship impounded" situation.

2. all Contracts are automatically removed from the lists with correspondent partial item quantities being "fulfilled". Example, a contract for 1000 Bananas that is yet at 300 out of 1000 will be removed from the lists and the contractor will be informed his contract has been partially fulfilled with the 300 units. These must be claimed, same as a fulfilled contract.

 

 

In principle I would agree with this.  The nationality of contract and ship sales should be restricted unless a clan chooses to open a port.  Seems consistent with the mercantilism of the period.

But it might put a ship seller in a bit of a fix.  Would the impounded ships count against dock slots?  If it did you might find your self on the other side of the map with highly restricted movement.  It appears to be possible to craft one more ship than I have dock space for which seems to turn off the teleport.  Only happened once and I haven't tried replicating that.

Incidentally I would also support outright seizure.  Provided it were accompanied by some sort of national alliance / peace / state of war mechanic.  Otherwise the risk for a merchant skyrockets.  You might find your stuff gone courtesy of an incompetent clan.

Edited by Marcus Corvus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marcus Corvus said:

But it might put a ship seller in a bit of a fix.  Would the impounded ships count against dock slots?

No. Same as now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×