Game-Labs Forum

Screening fleets

1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

Another Set Piece battle ? I mean, the defender PB fleet would simply be the one joining that battle, and that would be the PB.

that's like saying the greek troops stationed inside the town center are moved to the outer walls, and that would be the siege. It's the same thing

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Another Set Piece battle ? I mean, the defender PB fleet would simply be the one joining that battle, and that would be the PB.

There will be no screeners.

Set piece? no, but if a screening fleet locates and brings the enemy pb fleet to battle then they have done their job, when attacking a port there is always a risk that you will be found and brought to battle, it is a risk every battle commander has to accept.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

that's like saying the greek troops stationed inside the town center are moved to the outer walls, and that would be the siege. It's the same thing

That's the rulebook we have :) it is all set piece battles.

Unless all the mish mash will want to make a "baby PB" versus the enemy main PB fleet and call it screening.

All good, I don't mind. 

Just trying to work my mind around the way the Conquest campaigns are ruled and the screening is OW engagements, not really connected to anything but simple tactical disposition and delay tactics, or not if you bring a proper grand fleet to engage the enemy in the high seas.

In that case every captain will have pvp marks, xp, cash and denial of the enemy plans... or die trying.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Instead of forcing players to take time out to do such things, why not just reward screening and make it a part of the game?

Isn't sinking people rewarded? Am I missing something? Why add reward ontop of a reward? Or is it just about the VM? 

Why screeners don't do their own on? 

Why they still come to screen if there are currently no rewards?

Kiting should never be rewarded and that seems to be what is asked for. Free VM for denying Pb entrance.

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

To whom ? Only the Nations involved in that specific Conquest event or everyone that comes to the picnic ?

Good point.....If I show up to screen another Nation's PB, they may pay me (in Rum), but yeah...I think I want something.  Maybe we need a Battle Honours board.  "Battle of Jutland 31 May 1916"

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

That's the rulebook we have :) it is all set piece battles.

Unless all the mish mash will want to make a "baby PB" versus the enemy main PB fleet and call it screening.

All good, I don't mind. 

Just trying to work my mind around the way the Conquest campaigns are ruled and the screening is OW engagements, not really connected to anything but simple tactical disposition and delay tactics, or not if you bring a proper grand fleet to engage the enemy in the high seas.

In that case every captain will have pvp marks, xp, cash and denial of the enemy plans... or die trying.

Indeed PB's are set piece, and rightly so, Screenings however are chance encounters or the result of good recon or intelligence, so yes one is set piece the other ow. The concept of using small ships to delay bigger ships until more powerful ships can take over is timeless, even the Greeks had that concept mastered to the degree that at Salamis the much smaller and inferior Greek fleet decimated the Persian fleet. 

Let me find something...

.. here it is

Maybe there's something for screeners... ( however the machine interprets that given a PB fleet is a normal Ow fleet with no special status :)

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Paint !

What about medals? Arggh, that brings me to another suggestion topic, but I have already the impression I get on your nerves with each day another pee in the pond. :)

Yeah medals...

imagine every player would have a medal box which every other player (including enemy) could have a look at. Medals for won PB battles, won screen battles, unselfish sacrifice against all odds in epic defeats... medals for having reached a x score of sunk enemies on one day... etc... the list of memorable honors is long...

Perhaps then Palatinose would act more like a civilized being in game, when he gets his ego boost already served by a full medal box. Honorary swords. Honorary titles.

8 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Let me find something...

.. here it is

Maybe there's something for screeners... ( however the machine interprets that given a PB fleet is a normal Ow fleet with no special status :)

Yes something like that, although if there were a way to name ships battle honours could become hereditary from name to name as they are in real navy's. 

Edited by Sir Lancelot Holland
Perhaps such battle honours could be awarded for all battles?

Yeah doesn't need anymore rewards its fine as it is. If your going to screen out a port the reward is keeping the port.

IF you want rewards like PVP marks for fighting fight over the port or engage in a proper screening battle. Its up the players to find there rewards in the game.

Kiting deserves no rewards ever. As it currently stands.

The problem is that RVR is pointless at the moment and the community doesn't want to engage in battles because of the grind required to get there.

Edited by Capt Jubal Early

32 minutes ago, Capt Jubal Early said:

Yeah doesn't need anymore rewards its fine as it is. If your going to screen out a port the reward is keeping the port.

IF you want rewards like PVP marks for fighting fight over the port or engage in a proper screening battle. Its up the players to find there rewards in the game.

Kiting deserves no rewards ever. As it currently stands.

The problem is that RVR is pointless at the moment and the community doesn't want to engage in battles because of the grind required to get there.

Why doesn't the community wan't to engage in RVR? Because we aren't getting anything for our time doing the chore of RVR? Or because screening isn't a true part of the game and we're expected to do lobby battles for the end of time. Maybe both?

screening=/=kiting. Screening is like the walls of a castle. It's a natural part of the game that is treated extraordinarily bad. If you don't like getting denied a PB it probably has something to do with you not getting rewards/screening not being developed enough to have fun doing.

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

To screen one must love the fight. Sink teeth and live with the decision.

Same as any other aspect.

Sail, fight, sink or be sunk, buy new ship, rinse and repeat.

what if.....and hear me out here. What if that loop alone wasn't enough to keep the game up?

What if you get bored of sailing to x spot, roaming around a bit, sink and get sunk, buy a new ship rinse and repeat. Waht do you do then?

hardmode:no global chat

Edited by Slim McSauce

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Hard to answer that one without sounding factious  🙉

More content. Patrols expanded the amount of OW pvp content by 2x without even trying. Do that for RVR by making screening/pre-PB fights an official thing

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

Let's review the "turn" sequence

1. Declaration of intention - Hostility Missions or PvP around the port ( player made blockade )

- enemy has to bring ships to area, OW PvP possible

2. Invasion Plan go ahead - PB is set for a day and time

- enemy has to sail PB fleet plus support fleet to enemy port, OW PvP possible

3. Port Battle

- set piece battle PvP

Pre-PB actions, where do they fit ? Whom will they fight ? At what day/time ?