Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Dens around the map

Hi all,
Its been a while lol

Question-suggestion Re: hunting. 
Understand capital zones are now not possible to hunt due to safe zones or whatever they are called.

I have a suggestion to give some loving to pirates (long due, no?) give us pirate dens or hideouts all around the map. Lots of them (20-30 maybe).

Can't build ships there. No shop, nothing. All we need is a warehouse and space to store ships. That's it.

I see pirates have become what you always wanted - they are not an organized force anymore (like it was with BLACK on Global) and do not invest time or resources into conquest.

So why not remove pirates ability to capture ports altogether and instead give us the hideouts that can only be entered by pirates. This will allow us to be just pirates and hunt.

It just makes no sense when I'm hunting and there is no free ports to store my supplies. In normal pirate's life I would just anchor anywhere even on Jamaica's coast and make a hideout myself or make a stash. Who cold stop me?

This simple "mechanic" also has other benefits too:

Pirate nation WILL become unique as the whole purpose will be to hunt and be hunted.
It removes pirates need to own SOLs. They can still have them, but they can't use it in conquest, because there is no conquest there for them.

Your thoughts?

P.S. is it just me or Global chat have become less toxic? :P 

• Like 8

oh my, he's back.

I agree, pirates should have little hideouts similar to the secret island. I suppose one could argue that the current free towns are those hide outs, but pirates should be a more unique faction to encourage a privateer lifestyle.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

oh my, he's back.

I agree, pirates should have little hideouts similar to the secret island. I suppose one could argue that the current free towns are those hide outs, but pirates should be a more unique faction to encourage a privateer lifestyle.

Didnt say im back :P

Just checking on you ya know :D

• Like 1

According to @admin and he can correct me as I'm not going to dig for the post where he made the comment.  Pirates might get some love after release, but until than there are more important things to work on.   So maybe some day they will take all the great ideals and some stupid ones we have posted and come up with something for the pirates.

Oh and Pirates are in RvR, the EU pirates have took some ports down south.  It just seems there is zero US prime time pirates in the game other than a few souls @Privateer and a few others.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, koltes said:

Nice to see you around again, and nope you must of logged on in an off period 😂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, koltes said:

Hi all,
Its been a while lol

Question-suggestion Re: hunting. 
Understand capital zones are now not possible to hunt due to safe zones or whatever they are called.

I have a suggestion to give some loving to pirates (long due, no?) give us pirate dens or hideouts all around the map. Lots of them (20-30 maybe).

Can't build ships there. No shop, nothing. All we need is a warehouse and space to store ships. That's it.

I see pirates have become what you always wanted - they are not an organized force anymore (like it was with BLACK on Global) and do not invest time or resources into conquest.

So why not remove pirates ability to capture ports altogether and instead give us the hideouts that can only be entered by pirates. This will allow us to be just pirates and hunt.

It just makes no sense when I'm hunting and there is no free ports to store my supplies. In normal pirate's life I would just anchor anywhere even on Jamaica's coast and make a hideout myself or make a stash. Who cold stop me?

This simple "mechanic" also has other benefits too:

Pirate nation WILL become unique as the whole purpose will be to hunt and be hunted.
It removes pirates need to own SOLs. They can still have them, but they can't use it in conquest, because there is no conquest there for them.

Your thoughts?

Capitals are attacked all of the time, even with safe zones.

4 hours ago, seanjo said:

Capitals are attacked all of the time, even with safe zones.

Out of lack of better option, not because anything worth while actually awaits inside the zone. That's how it's always been.

Edited by Slim McSauce

On 5/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, Hellmuth von Mücke said:

many questions left...

a) maintenance?
No, as these hideouts provide no shipyard or buildings. Merely a hideout, that after UI has been completed could be visually presented as a cave or a tiny hidden harbor.

b) the base are vulnerable?
No. It should be "invisible" to the nation players and like an enemy port no ability to enter. No reason for a smuggler to enter anyway as there will be no shop. Cant trade. All it is a warehouse.

c) establish a den cost money?
This could cost some money to establish. Something like a first upgrade of a warehouse, same sort of money.

I do agree !

However,

* Pirates are hardcore, you have to start in other nations, after some point starting from M&C, you can choose to become pirate. You loose your progress ! , you are given set amount of money and some resources according to your rank, and a ship of your choice, a 6th rate :)

* Pirates at maximum level should have around 500 crew at max. So, they can only command a 4th rate efficiently, yes they can undercrew big ships. They can only build up to 6th rate. They have to capture or buy, bigger ships.

* Pirates can not capture any port, but they can own it for1-3 days, loot it.

* They should have dens around, if other nations sail just very close like hitting the coast, "the hideout" can be discovered. So it can be attacked. If enemy player is not there to defend, his max. number of 2 ships AI controlled defends the hideout. The hideout revealed for 1 hour, it can be attacked at that period, after that it is invisible again need to be evacuated in set amount of time, 1day ? If it is not evacuated, it is destroyed, some loot remaining for anyone to loot, or it is destroyed by players, it can be looted.

* Pirates already can access freetowns, all around the map. A pirate has 8 outpost slots, he can put the hideouts in these slots, freetowns, or Mortimer, or Free for All towns.

* There should be bounty on the pirates, showing who got most loot, most victories, most ships captured. Sinking a famous pirate, you will be awarded a reward from Admirality. This is great feature, so best players can go pirate, show us how good they are, a super pvp incentive.

* And yes pirates can attack anyone, including pirates. Their clan can make allience with others, so who are not in allience are red.

* I am not sure about, if they should have any greenzone, shrinked greenzone or just greenzone around mortimer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AeRoTR said:

Pirates at maximum level should have around 500 crew at max

Makes no sense for Pirates :)

The more plunder a pirate captains brings back to port the more crew will want to sail under his/her command.

No ranks, just plunder. This isn't the navy.

@Hethwill you are right but have you ever heard a pirate captain to command 1400 crew ? That is my point. So you will never have 1400 crew with splitting your plunder to pay them. That 500 or whatever is a number to represent that aspect and prevent them using big ships.

5 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

@Hethwill you are right but have you ever heard a pirate captain to command 1400 crew ? That is my point. So you will never have 1400 crew with splitting your plunder to pay them. That 500 or whatever is a number to represent that aspect and prevent them using big ships.

No we haven't :)  But that simple mechanic ( crazy coding maybe ) would not lock anything while keeping the "pirate life for me" appropriate and not a navy copycat.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:41 AM, koltes said:

It removes pirates need to own SOLs.

Delete pirate 'nation' altogether, as there never was one. Pirates are individuals fighting for profit and maybe grouping with others, that makes a clan. So Pirates can offer what some have been demanding for all nations in this forum: a clan based conflict and not RvR. All 'other' nations of course stay nations.

And seeing Pirates move around in fleets the size of a national navy is just ridiculous. Impede them in crew command, so they can barely use a 4th rate.

Other mechanics, like the proposed dens and secret hideouts, are given to them as unique feature in compensation of the lost status and battle ships of a real nation. I think that will bring them even more players...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

As Hethwill said, crews will flock to successful Captains, so make crews free to Pirates.  Yes to the 500 crew limit, but perhaps its a per ship limit, allowing a fleet?

1 minute ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Delete pirate 'nation' altogether, as there never was one.

Buccaneer "republics", especially francophone one, and then the anglo saxon privateers turned pirates late federations were a reality. Just not a "nation" as established by... the nations. :)

They all lacked logistics innate to a nation.

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Buccaneer "republics", especially francophone one, and then the anglo saxon privateers turned pirates late federations were a reality. Just not a "nation" as established by... the nations. :)

They all lacked logistics innate to a nation.

That fits into the clan structure picture, doesn't it? Those loose groups never had a full size battle ship fleet, crew came and went with their plans and success, low grade of organization, people deciding to become Pirates have to face legal problems outside of these groups and thus have to think twice before joining Pirates  -- all that must be the major difference to a real nation.

• Like 1

Just now, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Those loose groups never had a full size battle ship fleet

In the Caribbean no. Was not their intent at all :) although they had some serious battle fleets that effectively raided a lot of major ports. But let's not divert back to that.

The idea behind the OP, of having the havens like Treasure Island - unmarked - is a good one. Always was. 

• Like 2

If you go with the concept of hard core Pirates, operating out of secret ports and having limited crews (VERY cool!), perhaps you would need a "legitimize" option (per Henry Morgan?).  After a successful and lucrative career pyrating, a Captain could purchase legitimacy and return to a nation (with his loot).

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Delete pirate 'nation' altogether, as there never was one. Pirates are individuals fighting for profit and maybe grouping with others, that makes a clan. So Pirates can offer what some have been demanding for all nations in this forum: a clan based conflict and not RvR. All 'other' nations of course stay nations.
No thanks. There are people like myself who just like their Black flag. I've played this game for quite sometime and as far as I remember it was NOT pirates who demanded pirates to be different... like you said - take away from them this and that. But this post is not to poke anyone and start an old argument. You just controverting yourself. On one hand you are saying "delete" the nation (I read make them same as everyone else). But we ARE the same as everyone else. On the other hand you are saying make them different - take their ability to sail anything bigger than 4th rate.

And seeing Pirates move around in fleets the size of a national navy is just ridiculous. Impede them in crew command, so they can barely use a 4th rate.
That maybe so, but don't you think that right now pirates ARE just another cut/paste nation like everyone else? If you are going to remove their ability to compete (which is what you are essentially doing by suggesting to strip them from sailing SOLs) then you have to balance them out and make competitive against other player factions somehow. I know for a fact that there are lots of players in pirate nation who likes their 1st rates. Stripping those players from those ships will greatly upset them and rightfully so. My suggestion to remove pirates ability to capture ports (which is the main purpose of 1st rate in the first place) should make most of national players happy as this will remove pirates from RvR without taking pirates ability to sail 1st rates. They can still use them to screen or to level and do missions. Not doing RvR would greatly cripple pirate faction as then we cant even hunt properly without having Free Towns and can't have production going. This is just a simple question about logistics. Giving pirates the hideouts sorts this out in a good balanced manner without making them OP. Not sure whats there to be opposed of.

Other mechanics, like the proposed dens and secret hideouts, are given to them as unique feature in compensation of the lost status and battle ships of a real nation. I think that will bring them even more players...
Isn't that a good thing? 

27 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

That fits into the clan structure picture, doesn't it? Those loose groups never had a full size battle ship fleet, crew came and went with their plans and success, low grade of organization, people deciding to become Pirates have to face legal problems outside of these groups and thus have to think twice before joining Pirates  -- all that must be the major difference to a real nation.

You are correct, however while implying the negative consequences for being a pirate you are not giving an incentives that made people to made a decision to become a pirate in the first place. If there wouldn't be any benefits to them to become a pirate and risk their lives taking criminal path then there would never be any pirates in the history all together.

Ideally NA should make pirates what they were - solo privateers  or pirates who COULD get hired by a nation to join their side in a struggle against other nation. I have long ago proposed to remove Pirate nationality. All pirates were of some nationality like British, Spanish, French etc. But they were an outlaw faction according to their way of living not their nationality. Thus, would remove pirate nation altogether, Instead you would have KPR that have their "British" pirates. You would have French pirates who lived on La Tortue and so on. Then pirates could do what they like (outlaws attack all nations and privateers attack only those nations that allowed by their letter of marque). There you have it. On one hand there is no pirate nation. On the other you have pirates who are able to join PB and fight along side nation as "hired" privateers. Everyone happy. This has been proposed many times, but for some reason not considered or put aside as low priority. At the low cost of development and little time involved it would have had a great "return on investment". But ok, maybe too hard too complicated. Thats why OP was about making a very simple adjustment that literally requires very little coding and time investment and that gives pirates ability to do what they like doing - hunting, while surviving the current game play mechanic that in reality does everything to prevent them from hunting.

Edited by koltes