Game-Labs Forum

Issue with chain?

NethrosDefectus

It helps prevent full battles of just running and chaining. If you get a decent tag chain is devastating if you take a bad tag and are slower you wont catch them. Also I would say it makes ganking "harder" as your large squad of ships cant just chain someone down from range.

Edited by Aster

1 minute ago, Aster said:

If the other ship is faster then yours if you get a good tag+chain you can get them otherwise the faster ship is... faster

Yes I get that if my ship was faster than his or if he actually came to KPR to FIGHT then I wouldn't have needed chain, (but let's leave playing "state the obvious" for another time) and that would be great if for example I only left port if I had 3 or 4 other ships with me but a majority of the time I sail by myself and build my ships for combat not running. But it seems yet again the changes are forcing people into only going for fast builds.

2 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

So we should all just be sailing fir/fir ships and running from an actual fight?

Well yeah. Although you probably don't have to go to the fir-fir extreme. But if you're going to play open sea raider solo or in a very small group you're going to have to be fast and avoid decisive engagements.

I guess it all goes down to how far one wants to pursue their role-play or play style. We've seen posts from Captains who sail light fast ships and pride themselves in pulling off the kills and staying alive: Knowing when to fight and when to run away. They want to keep that ship and crew just as a real life captain would have to. Others are out there pursuing the engagement. They want the fight and hope to have a positive kill to die ratio but know they will be sunk sooner or later. Neither idea is correct. They're just different.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

"Fought" a Spanish frigate earlier today, could not slow him down because his sails would not go below 98% depsite 80+ sail hits whith my chasers (9lb). Am I missing something?

fellow nation member had a battle against a surprise and his sail where also not going under 98 %

f 11 was sent i believe, but it was not normal..we thought he used cheats 

when i see here that more people have issues with it it, is not working as it should be

58 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

There seems no logical reason why they would be less effective at range.

Sure there is. 2 balls connected by a chain means very poor ballistics. Extremely inaccurate and poor aerodynamics 

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan

Every time a gamemechanic means a disadvantage, people complains about what shouldn't be or discussing cheating.

This forum and global chat is full of posts that only have one intenion: "it's impossible that I cannot win".

In this case christendom hits the nail on the head - a good preparation is the first step to win in PVP.

I'm surely only an average player (sometimes more noob than anything other) and don't drive totaly pimped ships, but in 9 of 10 pvp battles near or in enemy safezoens people are not able to win against my teak/teak conny with cotton sails and basic upgrades for hull and penetration. First reason - the tag of them is totaly rubbish.  

Chain is very effective from 0 to 500 meters
Then damage falls off fast to less than 20% and goes down to 0 at 1km. 

If the target is far you can only gain on the target if you have a significant speed advantage (slowly but surely). If you do not have speed advantage it is almost impossible to stop a target that is already 750 m away. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, admin said:

Chain is very effective from 0 to 500 meters

Это в Вашей игре. В нашей чины на 500 метров не работают. 200 норм дистанция. 

/me мечтает о трубе с рисочками и атласе с размерами. 

Under 250m. Over that distance the spread comes into play.

Obvisouly a 6 chaser guns ship has more chance at 500m than a 2 chaser guns vessel of course.

In a fight against the odds there's no difference now to 2 years ago when opposition spammed chain from 1200m. So trying to justify a "running engagement" is a hard one.

The closure speed / speed extending to distance is a factor now with Control if no chasers equipped.

That is way more effective than having the chasers and blasting chain.

OW tag if half battle won, always was, always will be.

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Under 250m. Over that distance the spread comes into play.

Obvisouly a 6 chaser guns ship has more chance at 500m than a 2 chaser guns vessel of course.

In a fight against the odds there's no difference now to 2 years ago when opposition spammed chain from 1200m. So trying to justify a "running engagement" is a hard one.

The closure speed / speed extending to distance is a factor now with Control if no chasers equipped.

That is way more effective than having the chasers and blasting chain.

OW tag if half battle won, always was, always will be.

Except we still have laser guided stern chasers which really need to be removed. I seen 2-4 stern chasers out shoot several ships that keep missing most of there bow shots when they couldn't hit with chain only ball the chased ship was still able to hit with chain and slow them down and escape.  

Another issue the repairs we really need to limit something on them and I still think forcing folks to go battle sails to do repairs would be that way.  We where in a fight early tonight and it was a Santi vs a Wasa and L'ocean.   Well myself in a Cerberus (no repairs I bought off the store) and a Connie jumped in to help the fellow clan mate in the Santi.  As soon as we join the L'ocean split.  We had a fun game of tag the Sails on the Wasa until all three of us ran out of chain, got him down to 60 and than 70, but he was able to repair back up to 100% and finaly just pull on us.  All while going full sails.   If it was real life he tried to repair a sail he would have to bring it down to do so, while that would be a death sentence in game to completely stop I don't see how it's not unreal to require a ship to slow down to say Battle Sales to be able to do repairs.  IT's pretty silly one ship can just wait repair and than run when your all out of chain.