Game-Labs Forum

One of the issues we have now is that ports are useless - once you capture a port, you proffit of it for 1-2 days, until alts which sat there change nation.

A solution to this issue, and a few others, is for a clan to have monopoly for buying part of resources from the port. Example shown below:

na_mockup.png.1102d398028e20b1f2f0949a78047bd7.png.ad40ad40d38b2d02588d32245c81b615.png

In this case, smuggler of every nation can bid for 250 resources daily, Prussians can bid for 750 (their 500 plus 250 that smugglers can access), and clan can bid for 1k (their 250, plus 500 of prussia and 250 of smugglers). This will create different prices for nation, clan and smugglers, giving advantage to clan. It would probably set prices for clan at 150, for nation at 540 and for smugglers at 2740.

It also fixes a few other issues and creates a few benefits:

• weaker nations are not completely locked out of strategic resources. We avoid snowballing effect, which made eg. Commonwealth die (due to lack of PvP marks for 1st rates, needed for training people to start winning in battle to get PvP marks)
  • alts are no longer critical - they give you only a bit of advantage. This gives chance to new players, who don't have alts.
  • it creates additional traffic around those ports (as without alt you can't teleport there)

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

@admin in case it's too hard to implement, you could eg. simply allow for clan to have monopoly for contracts for resources and then drop some of those resources to harbour's store now and then, where everyone can buy them, eg. for a price of the highest contract. It's much worse solution, however better than a complete lockdown, and still better than the current solution in which owning a port is meaningless.

Edited by vazco

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I take the "reserve" %% will need cash advance ? That's how wholesale priority was dealt with in the age of sail :) 

Sure, I believe it's how it works now with contracts :)

1 minute ago, vazco said:

Sure, I believe it's how it works now with contracts :)

Correct. But they can be surpassed by higher bidder, individually.

In this case the wholesale would be automatically paid by Treasury ( clan ) until quota is met.

Idea is nice combined with what is written on the other thread.

5 hours ago, vazco said:

One of the issues we have now is that ports are useless - once you capture a port, you proffit of it for 1-2 days, until alts which sat there change nation.

A solution to this issue, and a few others, is for a clan to have monopoly for buying part of resources from the port. Example shown below:

In this case, smuggler of every nation can bid for 250 resources daily, Prussians can bid for 750 (their 500 plus 250 that smugglers can access), and clan can bid for 1k (their 250, plus 500 of prussia and 250 of smugglers). This will create different prices for nation, clan and smugglers, giving advantage to clan. It would probably set prices for clan at 150, for nation at 540 and for smugglers at 2740.

There might be something here.

So here is my question.  What happens if the approach is moved down one layer in the economy?

As in, a port is allowed a fixed number of production buildings in a particular location and those are fractioned out with this kind of allocation.

For instance - six buildings allowed with three for the clan, two for the nation, and one for the bootleggers.  Or something like that.  The actual building total might need some mechanism to push it up as the player count rises in the game.  Otherwise nobody else could ever get up into the treehouse.

Clan gets first crack, then nation.  There could even be a provision for allowing an allied clan to build.  And if they aren't interested anybody can build.  But if the controlling clan / nation wants real estate that is already occupied they get to seize the asset.

Using buildings instead of drops puts at least some constraint on the alts and the bootleg operation prevents a complete seal like is currently the case in the copper ports.

What this might do is allow mercantilist economic activity to flow on top of realistic resource constraints, rather than attempting to control it directly.

Edited by Marcus Corvus
duplicate text

Alt farming of resources is a big Problem at the Moment. I personally have sat in a port for about 8 hours at a time just to stop alts bidding on rare Woods, every 30 to 40 minutes having to alter my contracted bid, because they are outbidding every time. Why did we bother capturing the port if all they have to do is sail an alt in just to disrupt a nations economy.

I have no Problems when an alt bids once or twice for goods, but when the same guy sits there for months, never increasing in rank, and all it does is regularly up the Prices to get first dibs on the goods, I find it a bit unfair.

A System where the owning clan could guarantee a percentage of These goods for themselves would really help.

• Like 1