Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KalTaron

Why can't you buy the game directly on Steam?

Hi there,

I've gotten interested in this game and was trying to buy into the Alpha but the process of going over Paypal and then linking the game to Steam is something I try to avoid.

So could someone please tell me why the game isn't available on Steam directly and maybe when it will be.

Best regards and hope to meet you on the seas soon.

I have no idea what the criteria for Early Access are on Steam but from the looks of it the game should be able to fullfill them. Would open it up to a far larger audience.

I think the developers have said they wanted open world to be live before opening on Steam. There may be other issues as well.

Its simple.

2 reasons

1. Steam store has no limited access state. Its either open for everyone - or it is closed for everyone. Open for everyone - means we can get swamped by 10,000 users when we are not ready - there is only 1 chance to make a good first impression.
  2. Another problem is that steam does not allow pre-orders for small companies (like us) yet. We are trying to arrange this. 

Steam pre-orders will come soon - price and yacht offer will stay the same.

We are aware that some people avoid paypal at all costs and we will extend the gunboat offer for them as well. 

Hope it explains it. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your reply. I hope you can come to an agreement with Steam.

As to your first point, in theory you could get swamped by 10k users as well now but the "risk" is of course not as large as with a direct Steam sale. (I mean it's pretty much: "Hand over money, get key next Friday" now, right?)

Hope they let you sell on Steam soon and will see you then.

Good luck with the game, looking good on youtube so far.

It's good to control your growth early on. Getting too many players too early only makes for lots of youtube videos with issues in them that never get taken down.

Far as I can tell, you guys are running this dev cycle quite well. Kudos.

• Like 1

Hm, it seems game-labs want to avoid not only 'some' mistakes many other dev-crews are making....

p.e. first want to much and many and then not be able to afford and support only fewest.

Step by step with a well-thought masterplan is surely best, so i like the way of the naval-action team. 

In german there exist a saw "weniger ist manchmal mehr" (fewer is sometimes more) that fits to those politics.