Game-Labs Forum

Partial materials wipe - advanced warning

3 hours ago, adriancairns said:

if you have problems talk to us we can understand problems but not silence...…….

There are no problems only the time needed to complete the work needed to release a completed patch.

I don't understand the need to be spoonfed.

• Like 1

Dear developpers,

I think you were write the crafting needs a refactoring, but on my opinion this is the wrong direction.

For people who want to sail a ship after a 3 clicks - therefore their is a shop !

The huge richness of details belonging to ship crafting was the charme of this game and makes it comfortable not only for doom- but also for anno-players. If you remove the intermediate materials there is no longer any challenge in managing the crafting and every 7-year-old midshipman could handle crafting a Victory.

When I walk through the shipyard I could smell the teak planks and see the reflection of my petroleum lamp in the gold of the furnishings.

I fear in the future I only smell the the plastic of my keypad and my mouse.

A pity, just another software whith a bunch of missed chances.

What will be next, a 'Kill-Button' which appears after 1 minute of NPC-battles to decrease the mouse-clicks at sea ?

Edited by Schwabbel
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Schwabbel said:

Dear developpers,

I think you were write the crafting needs a refactoring, but on my opinion this is the wrong direction.

For people who want to sail a ship after a 3 clicks - therefore their is a shop !

The huge richness of details belonging to ship crafting was the charme of this game and makes it comfortable not only for doom- but also for anno-players. If you remove the intermediate materials there is no longer any challenge in managing the crafting and every 7-year-old midshipman could handle crafting a Victory.

When I walk through the shipyard I could smell the teak planks and see the reflection of my petroleum lamp in the gold of the furnishings.

I fear in the future I only smell the the plastic of my keypad and my mouse.

A pity, just another software whith a bunch of missed chances.

What will be next, a 'Kill-Button' which appears after 1 minute of NPC-battles to decrease the mouse-clicks at sea ?

You sir are the only person who I've seen vocally announce there love for the amount of stupid stupid items in the game. Majority rule on the subject is crafting involves far to much pointless micro.

From my point of view the game is focused on combat and the time spent dividing up stacks of matts to build your ships is wasted combat time. Removing the middle step is an incredibly necessary step to streamlining wasted areas of the game and bring them forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schwabbel said:

Dear developpers,

Captain, unfortunately intermediate crafting provided no challenge but only clicks. You still will need to gather all resources (from buildings or NPC stores) but amount of intermediate clicks will be reduced.

As we have said earlier, the patch is delayed, it will be released this month (June), more information about date will follow this week.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ink said:

Captain, unfortunately intermediate crafting provided no challenge but only clicks. You still will need to gather all resources (from buildings or NPC stores) but amount of intermediate clicks will be reduced.

As we have said earlier, the patch is delayed, it will be released this month (June), more information about date will follow this week.

Ink you are wrong.   People who 100% PVP may see it as a waste of time, but those of us who play a more balanced style of PVP, trading and crafting DO enjoy the stacks of logs and intermediate materials.  It’s adds a level of depth to the game that you are about to totally gut.   It’s not that bad to click a few extra times.   If anything just reduce SOME of the earlier processes but gutting the intermediate while may seem like a good idea to some, isn’t really a feature add or value to me.  We want the intermediate materials and thousands of logs.  It makes you feel like you own something.  

ive been dying to say this.  I think this patch is misguided while good in its intention you’re about to remove an important part of the game to save a certain niche a few clicks.   The point about buying NPC or precrafted ships by others if you don’t want to click whole a lot when crafting is VALID! 

Edited by Tsizzle
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tsizzle said:

Ink you are wrong.   People who 100% PVP may see it as a waste of time, but those of us who play a more balanced style of PVP, trading and crafting DO enjoy the stacks of logs and intermediate materials.  It’s adds a level of depth to the game that you are about to totally gut.   It’s not that bad to click a few extra times.   If anything just reduce SOME of the earlier processes but gutting the intermediate while may seem like a good idea to some, isn’t really a feature add or value to me.  We want the intermediate materials and thousands of logs.  It makes you feel like you own something.  

ive been dying to say this.  I think this patch is misguided while good in its intention you’re about to remove an important part of the game to save a certain niche a few clicks.   The point about buying NPC or precrafted ships by others if you don’t want to click whole a lot when crafting is VALID! 

I see your point but since we can only have one or the other I would rather not waste my time with clicking buttons needlessly and cluttering my already limited storage only so hardcore roleplaying dudes like you get their extra layer of immersion with crafting...

5 minutes ago, Tsizzle said:

It’s not that bad to click a few extra times.   If anything just reduce SOME of the earlier processes but gutting the intermediate while may seem like a good idea to some, isn’t really a feature add or value to me.  We want the intermediate materials and thousands of logs.  It makes you feel like you own something.  

I recommend you playing some clicker games like clicker heroes or http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/ . For all the others out there every unnecessary click is a waste of gametime that decreases the amount of time you could do some more fun stuff... like playing in naval battles or be on OW. Only because we might get rid of intermediate materials does not mean that ships will become less worthy.

It was also a bit like ship crafting history lesson, in what's needed in quantities. For dedicated ship crafters, it cannot be 'complicated' or 'micro-management' enough. And when I imagine how this could have evolved if we steered into the opposite direction, by making each category of ship parts dependent on quality - all summing up in a unique ship at the end - I am even close to feeling very sorry for 'simplification' in terms of 'fewer clicks'...

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

Those sportsmen type gamers who don't care a bit about sailing ships and whom you could also give cars, tanks, planes or extraterrestial dust if it only served for making 'marks' and 'points' and prevailing over some other sportsmen types on leadership rankings - those are the click-happy supporters of such simplification. But how long are they going to stay faithful to this game?

And isn't there a ship shop in every port to give them on one click what they want?

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

I heard that admin mentioned on stream comments that something with patch work was messed up causing the delay, so it's hard saying there are no problems lol

It's a manner of speaking. I merely point at things may pop up and they need to be fixed, it's part of the normal. No need to get our panties in a bunch.

This morning I made 15 Pirate Rig refits.

I had to craft the fir first - just a couple of clicks...  Then make Rigging Parts - the game only allows 64 rigging parts at a time.  I needed 450, so a couple of clicks each time taking 7 or 8 seconds for each attempt - 1 wasted minute...   Then I crafted 15 pirate rig refits - the game only allows me to make 1 at a time - so  30 clicks and several more wasted minutes.  All to make 15 pirate rig refits.  Yawn....  crafting is tedious and wasteful of time.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

carry

9 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Naval Action is not a click hero type game, click 1000 times "craft" button and win. Crafting could be more advanced, I have no issues with that but:

1. What difference it makes if you have all resources ready and you need to click 50 times craft or 1 time craft? All resources are ready in port

2. So many materials and resources take too much window space in private and clan warehouse. You need to sort 20-30 items, you keep losing them, can't find one particular one, no window space on ship to carry all of them

3. More simple crafting & ship building is more newbie player friendly. Crafting does not require any skill at the moment. Step 1 Gather resources in one port. Step 2 Click craft. New players will love it for sure. Dozens of materials is just confusing.

All of these issues I don’t have and I’m a level 30 crafter and have been playing the game 1.5 months.  You know why?   Because I play the game in a balanced fashion.  

Make millions trading so I can invest in outports, materials and warehouse expansion. I never run out of space, I can move things into ships if need be.  

To answer each point the difference:

1. It makes a difference because it takes work to craft each item and get your materials together.   This increases the value of a crafted ship because if you don’t have it all together, no ship or out of hours ect   It adds challenge.

2. It’s not that many materials   It totals about 35-40 different types.   Planks of every wood type, etc   It’s really not that hard to keep track off, it’s really simple, plus we have sort tools such as “Resources” “Materials” which by gosh makes it super easy to find them.   The devs must of thought of this feature for searching for materials it’s really easy. ;)

3.  Crafting does take some skill and knowledge right now.   First where to get the goods and crafting the right quantities efficiently with no waste so you can maximize your daily production.  By making it easy we are taking the value out of being a craftsmen and shipbuilder.   Might as well not call it crafting anymore after the change to be honest.  Just “ship generating.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsizzle said:

All of these issues I don’t have and I’m a level 30 crafter and have been playing the game 1.5 months.  You know why?   Because I play the game in a balanced fashion.  

Make millions trading so I can invest in outports, materials and warehouse expansion. I never run out of space, I can move things into ships if need be.  

To answer each point the difference:

1. It makes a difference because it takes work to craft each item and get your materials together.   This increases the value of a crafted ship because if you don’t have it all together, no ship or out of hours ect   It adds challenge.

2. It’s not that many materials   It totals about 35-40 different types.   Planks of every wood type, etc   It’s really not that hard to keep track off, it’s really simple, plus we have sort tools such as “Resources” “Materials” which by gosh makes it super easy to find them.   The devs must of thought of this feature for searching for materials it’s really easy. ;)

3.  Crafting does take some skill and knowledge right now.   First where to get the goods and crafting the right quantities efficiently with no waste so you can maximize your daily production.  By making it easy we are taking the value out of being a craftsmen and shipbuilder.   Might as well not call it crafting anymore after the change to be honest.  Just “ship generating.”

you have barely played the game yet.  Many of us have 1,000's of hours in the game (I have over 9,200 hours on my main character) - and much of it is just wasted 'wait' time.  Having crafted hundreds of ship and made countless materials, the crafting is a boring chore.  I don't dislike trading and acquiring resources, but the crafting itself adds next to nothing to the playing experience.

Edited by ElricTheTwo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Naval Action is not a click hero type game, click 1000 times "craft" button and win. Crafting could be more advanced, I have no issues with that but:

1. What difference it makes if you have all resources ready and you need to click 50 times craft or 1 time craft? All resources are ready in port

2. So many materials and resources take too much window space in private and clan warehouse. You need to sort 20-30 items, you keep losing them, can't find one particular one, no window space on ship to carry all of them

3. More simple crafting & ship building is more newbie player friendly. Crafting does not require any skill at the moment. Step 1 Gather resources in one port. Step 2 Click craft. New players will love it for sure. Dozens of materials is just confusing.

Strange, I never found the procedure tedious. Not at all. And it raises anticipation while you go through the list and manufacture them - will it be a purple ship? Will it be cramped, agile, very fast? How boring to decide all this just on one click - booom - voila, your ship is ready, out of the Star Trek replicator...

Someone before me wrote about having that feeling of actually browsing through heaps of materials, knees, blocks, frames etc and smell the tar... that's how it is supposed to be for the right feeling of this game, besides the fighting stuff.

How else you would come across and learn expressions like "howsers and cables" or "oakum" - too bad when all this is away and you press one button. Pffffff.

As I said, if we had influence on the quality of each of those parts, it would even be more interesting, as you could fine-tune the ship altogether...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

But how long are they going to stay faithful to this game?

Maybe we are more faithful than you "it's never enough content" guys?

I've stayed with wot since 2011 and I've been here since 2015.

A good competitive PvP game is endless content.

• Like 2

The button "craft ship" should be press-able if all ressources and / or materials are in the warehouse, to instantly turn them into mats required and the ship aswell in one click. That way the ones liking doing every single click manually get their share, and others just interested in just the outcome (the ship) get theirs.

But thats most likely not gonna happen now with the new crafting units system. We'll see what it brings.

Edited by Liq

4 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

you have barely played the game yet.  Many of us have 1,000's of hours in the game (I have over 9,200 hours on my main character) - and much of it is just wasted 'wait' time.  Having crafted hundreds of ship and made countless materials, the crafting is a boring chore.  I don't dislike trading and acquiring resources, but the crafting itself adds next to nothing to the playing experience.

Actually I've been a little obsessed and can't play enough of it.... 411 hours, which I admit is way too much, but I'm still going to the gym everyday, full time dad, job, and do it before bed/when kids are napping/wife at the store.... So not thousands yet, but I've seen enough to say I like it.  I think that reducing clicks while keeping the intermediate materials is the way to go, not destroying a really cool part of the whole MMO.  There is so much depth to this game you can play any way you like.  Some enjoy sinking others 24/7 and that's cool....

On the other hand some do enjoy moving cargo around, the satisfaction of avoiding the hunters with a high degree of success while carrying 2.5 million in gold into port, adds a lot of the experience from a different point of view.  Then the epic experience of building a big ship and getting all your materials together like in real life to create something that is really special and yours with your screen name on the "Crafted by."  It gives some of us a sense of pride.  There are many ways to play the game, the more features we leave in and the more options we have, the bigger the game is as a result.

And to those who are bored by "the same port, same materials, same this, same that" well guess what in real life shipping both military and civil, it's kind of the same thing, you go to the same ports over and over, do the same things, ect, I don't see what more there could be as sailing involves either militarily controlling an area or most profitably moving goods and as many of them as you can between the same ports over and over.  Kind of how it works lol.

As always, opinions are what they are, take what you'd like from it or not :D

21 hours ago, Capt Jubal Early said:

... for the amount of stupid stupid items in the game!

The items are not stupid! They are things! But players who don't love the details of ship building and the necessary parts used to are stupid and not worth to own a ship bigger than a basic cutter.
Ship building needs very experiencend experts! This is an Open World - no pure pvp arena. That means there must be speciallist expert players who like to invest a lot of time in crafting to be able to build excellent vessels. If someone who likes to be for 100% in battles there may NO possibility to build his own ships!  And between buying a ship in shop and using it should be at least a real time week of delivery time. In History there haven't been Captains who just build a First Rate so just by the way between sailing in, go 5 seconds to workshop, and sail out.
An Open world is dying a more and more.
Ship building should be a simulation game in the game. Ships must be rare stuff, especially first rates! Now they are going to be easy to get like a bubblegum from an automat. The game is loosing! PvP'es won again over the Devs threatning with and speaking about loosing players base if they don't jump through their burning tire ...

This video shows, why i love the ship bulding and hoped it will be more detailled in the future. Now we get the oposit ...

Edited by Peter Peacemaker
  • Like 3

Sounds like you need more stuff, not less.  There are a multitude of items needed to build a ship and many separate industries which contribute to it (too much to list!).  Frankly I'd be all for it if it meant more ships at sea (outside of reinforcement zone).

3 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Sounds like you need more stuff, not less.  There are a multitude of items needed to build a ship and many separate industries which contribute to it (too much to list!).  Frankly I'd be all for it if it meant more ships at sea (outside of reinforcement zone).

Imagine this server one future day would have the population it is build for (2000 i guess). There will be an inflation of ships and you won't see a drop of water between Havanna and Kingston. U will cross the Gulf by walking from deck to deck in dry shoes.

That's not the case now.  I built my first ship the other day and I found it tedious.  I would far rather own a shipbuilder in my shipyard who tells me what raw materials I need and then supplies me with a finished ship. I don't want to have to craft raw iron into an ingot, then a fitting then something else. THEN take a log and .....

3 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

That's not the case now.  I built my first ship the other day and I found it tedious.  I would far rather own a shipbuilder in my shipyard who tells me what raw materials I need and then supplies me with a finished ship. I don't want to have to craft raw iron into an ingot, then a fitting then something else. THEN take a log and .....

You will get what you want ... be happy!

• Like 1