Game-Labs Forum

UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2

I verified my files to remove all modded ones and then ran a quick recording of potomac fort. You can see that I received $41300 and 2900 men compared to your $46600, 3300 men.

https://youtu.be/Ibz8laIs_W4

I don't know exactly what causes the values to be different. But this variance is 100% present in the base game and whatever that functionality is, it's inherited by the mod. Every single legendary campaign that has been recorded using 1.09 or later shows slightly different rewards, even accounting for politics.

The overall variance for Newport News appears to be roughly +/- $5k and +/- 500 men from the default value. Apparently, I had good luck when I started my recorded campaign, and I have worse luck than you do currently.

I have tried to be very clear about where the mod affects the base game balance. Multiple configuration options have been provided specifically to allow players to revert the majority of balance changes while keeping the bug fixes if they choose.

That's weird.

I was always under the impression that the rewards were fixed based on the game difficulty and politics.

I remember when I was posting one of my campaigns at the same time as Mukremin Gul, there was a point where we had the same amount of Politics, playing the very same next battle, and both of us had the exact same rewards.

• Like 1

I didn't realize they varied either until you pointed it out. I had a feeling something was off but I never put together exactly what was happening. I always looked at the AI numbers and casualties other players were getting rather than the rewards themselves. Presumably the RNG can line up sometimes and you'll end up with the same number.

I have a theory that the rewards on BG might always be the same. But when the difficulty factor is applied that is what causes the randomness. Only the BG numbers are actually stored in the game files, the % increase or decrease from the difficulty just gets applied to those.

If you're looking for the latest and greatest check out Hibob Warbob's videos. He's got a max size infantry strategy that you might enjoy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, KeithD said:

Hi Panda, I don't seem to be able to get the dragging and dropping merging units to work.  Same perks, same weapons, and inside the total unit limit.  Is there a trick to it?

Are the units also in the same division?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have been watching your and Something Compasses videos, having just bought the game, and he waxes lyrical about the update, albeit 1.8 as it was then.

I have downloaded it to Dropbox, extracted the files and then put th 'AI etc' into my Data file where it shows as 'Mod' file. I was not asked to overwrite the Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets, and I notice I am not getting the firing ranges. Do they only work on the artillery, or do they show for other units? I am not seeing any.

Any ideas of what I have not done properly?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi pandakraut,

I am playing UGCV with great pleasure, especially with your UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2.

After Chancellorsville onwards wounded officers aren't shown in the battle report and not disabled for one major battle. They are immediately healed and present for duty.

Could you have a look on this?

Many thanks

MR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt Bean said:

Hi pandakraut,

I am playing UGCV with great pleasure, especially with your UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2.

After Chancellorsville onwards wounded officers aren't shown in the battle report and not disabled for one major battle. They are immediately healed and present for duty.

Could you have a look on this?

Many thanks

MR

Just to double check, you have the Customizations mod installed and not the J&P Rebalance mod? The J&P mod's recent versions had an issue around wounded officers(fixed in the latest version), but that functionality has never been changed for the Customizations mod.

On 3/17/2021 at 4:50 PM, Hornet81 said:

Hi

I have been watching your and Something Compasses videos, having just bought the game, and he waxes lyrical about the update, albeit 1.8 as it was then.

I have downloaded it to Dropbox, extracted the files and then put th 'AI etc' into my Data file where it shows as 'Mod' file. I was not asked to overwrite the Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets, and I notice I am not getting the firing ranges. Do they only work on the artillery, or do they show for other units? I am not seeing any.

Any ideas of what I have not done properly?

Sorry for missing your question until now. 

This sounds like the files didn't end up in the right place. The default steam path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\ 

This is commonly confused with Ultimate General Civil War\UGCWReporter_Data

10 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Just to double check, you have the Customizations mod installed and not the J&P Rebalance mod? The J&P mod's recent versions had an issue around wounded officers(fixed in the latest version), but that functionality has never been changed for the Customizations mod.

Hi Pandakraut,

I have UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2. installed. I am quite sure that with 1.9.1, there was not such a problem. Currently, I am playing on the Union side.

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt Bean said:

Hi Pandakraut,

I have UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2. installed. I am quite sure that with 1.9.1, there was not such a problem. Currently, I am playing on the Union side.

Thanks a lot.

Ok, will take a look.

Was the officer that was wounded and not displayed in the post battle report leading a unit that was shattered?

Also, was the officer wounded on an earlier day on a multi-day battle? If an officer is wounded on day 1, and you play day 2, the days count as two separate major battles so officers will heal.

When I had an officer wounded in a side battle on a unit that shattered they were not listed on the report but they did show up in the reserve as wounded. The not showing up on the battle report was probably introduced in 1.8 when shattered units started being returned to camp. Will fix it show they show up in the report when I have the chance, but as far as I can tell wounded officers are staying wounded as expected.

16 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Was the officer that was wounded and not displayed in the post battle report leading a unit that was shattered?

Also, was the officer wounded on an earlier day on a multi-day battle? If an officer is wounded on day 1, and you play day 2, the days count as two separate major battles so officers will heal.

When I had an officer wounded in a side battle on a unit that shattered they were not listed on the report but they did show up in the reserve as wounded. The not showing up on the battle report was probably introduced in 1.8 when shattered units started being returned to camp. Will fix it show they show up in the report when I have the chance, but as far as I can tell wounded officers are staying wounded as expected.

First of all, many thanks for your outstanding fast feedback. Your "customer" service is top on class!

No units were shattered. But it could be that all officers were wounded day 1 and then healed. But can't check that.

As I understand, these officers wouldn't be displayed as wounded in the battle report? But in the new army overview, the officer positions of the divisons and regiments these officers leaded are empty. Is this also normal? I can't imagine that I had no wounded officers in the battle report but empty officer slots in the upcoming army overview.

The wounded and healed officers are Maurice Miles, Evander Gregg, Brain Vaughan, Wiliam Brooks and Carl Gibson.

20210718_110847_resized.jpg

20210718_110856_resized.jpg

20210718_110908_resized.jpg

20210718_110948_resized.jpg

Assuming that the officers were wounded prior to the last day of a multiday battle then what you are describing is normal.

Presumably you replaced the officers that were wounded in camp between days. This places the wounded officer into the reserve pool where it will get healed when the major battle ends. The officer wounded list is only compiled at the very end of the battle when each unit is looked at. The unit no longer has a wounded officer, so it doesn't make it into the list.

I might have the details slightly off, if you go into camp the wounded officers might get moved to reserve even if you don't replace them manually. But generally that is what is going on.

• 2 months later...

CSA, Malvern Hill

3 corps with org 5.

III Corps came as reinforcement at last, placed in 1st reinf-slot = 15/20

During the battle, I received all units of division 1 & 2, but only the last unit of five from div 3 (all artillery). I moved div 1 & 2 units quickly down, so shouldn't be an issue of no space to deploy there.

Can this be fixed?

Btw, it can actually happen that units get lost on the map edges. I've noticed in this battle in the 1st phase in the lower-left corner. Either a cavalry unit was gone for good when ordering it too close to the edge or corner, or funnier, they somehow slipped past the border and could still only move along the outter border.

Weird things can also happen with save-reloads, like AI artillery unit in the fog-of-war suddenly placed somewhere else. It's also annoying that the game can't save hold-fire commands or painted move-orders, what can easily provoke another reload if something undesired happens then. Yeah, bad generals like me get punished severely.

Edited by Bark
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 10:53 AM, Bark said:

CSA, Malvern Hill

3 corps with org 5.

III Corps came as reinforcement at last, placed in 1st reinf-slot = 15/20

During the battle, I received all units of division 1 & 2, but only the last unit of five from div 3 (all artillery). I moved div 1 & 2 units quickly down, so shouldn't be an issue of no space to deploy there.

The reason this occurred is that the 0/20 is actually showing you the total number of brigades from the two reinforcing corps. So it would be more accurate if each slot displayed 0/10. You ended up with 11 instead of only 10 because of some stuff around how supply wagons are handled. 
I can only change the existing numbers on the deploy screen so there isn't a good way for me to make this more clear unfortunately.

Btw, it can actually happen that units get lost on the map edges. I've noticed in this battle in the 1st phase in the lower-left corner. Either a cavalry unit was gone for good when ordering it too close to the edge or corner, or funnier, they somehow slipped past the border and could still only move along the outter border.

There are various exploits around crossing borders and impassable terrain. Trying to prevent these tends to end up causing even more problems that affect units that aren't intentionally using the exploit.

Weird things can also happen with save-reloads, like AI artillery unit in the fog-of-war suddenly placed somewhere else. It's also annoying that the game can't save hold-fire commands or painted move-orders, what can easily provoke another reload if something undesired happens then. Yeah, bad generals like me get punished severely.

Units are recentered on load which can lead to weird issues if the save was made when the sprites were out of sync with the unit center. Adding more information to the save binaries causes all kinds of problems, so this isn't something that I can easily adjust.

Personally, I try to avoid saving and loading at all in battles. Just causes fewer issues, though it is very understandable if you prefer to use them. Saving in camp between days is pretty safe though, so I do use that.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, pandakraut said:

The reason this occurred is that the 0/20 is actually showing you the total number of brigades from the two reinforcing corps. So it would be more accurate if each slot displayed 0/10. You ended up with 11 instead of only 10 because of some stuff around how supply wagons are handled. 
I can only change the existing numbers on the deploy screen so there isn't a good way for me to make this more clear unfortunately.

Yeah, that's quite misleading. I forgot to add supply to III Corps, so another unit was possibly picked as eleventh.

CSA Gaines's Mill is also very unclear how many and especially which units still arrive when. At least my III Corps as flank-right with twelve units was complete in the end. If someone has 15 units in a corps here, 2-3 would have been left out then? 13/12 = 25?

Edit#123: good that I still have at least a day time to edit my posts hundred times in this forum thanks to the ongoing, annoying moderator-approval.

What I like to have customizable is the real-game time conversion. Originally, it's about 5-6s realtime progresses one game-minute. I'd like to slow it down a bit what should be more compatible than messing with timer settings. I've already checked out the assembly file, but there are so many time and speed settings and variables that I have no clue where.

And here are my campaign overviews with corps max-sizes, also showing the required Army Organization level what is theoretically needed to fully fill the slots. The background colors represent the blocks with their slots. Not sure about the red numbers there.

Union-Campaign.jpg

CSA-Campaign.jpg

Edited by Bark

• 2 months later...

I just upgraded my GeForce video driver and I seem to have lost the clear yellow lines for units' ranges.  It's back to the original black lines that are hard to see.  I reloaded in the UI mod and still get the black lines.

Not only is that annoying, but I'm wondering whether other aspects of this mod (which I love) have been disabled.

Any thoughts on this?

15 hours ago, holes573 said:

I just upgraded my GeForce video driver and I seem to have lost the clear yellow lines for units' ranges.  It's back to the original black lines that are hard to see.  I reloaded in the UI mod and still get the black lines.

Not only is that annoying, but I'm wondering whether other aspects of this mod (which I love) have been disabled.

Any thoughts on this?

It sounds like the mod files are no longer in place and the default files are being used again. I would recommend double checking where you extracted the mod files to. They should be in the Ultimate General Civil War_DATA folder. Link to a video install guide(steps are basically the same between this and the J&P mod) in case that helps 

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2020 at 3:58 AM, MOMO said:

Thank you very much for your work!

May I ask What is the original setting number for "fireAtWillMin" and "fireAtWillMax"? Because I prefer the original balance(To be honest, I don't konw what are the meaning for these two setting as a beginner).  Also I would like to know the original setting number for "moraleMeleeRouting" and "moraleMeleeWavering". Thank you!

pandakraut, you probably didn't notice this question, I have the same one, can you comment?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello. Questions.

1. In regards to these files for infantry rifles and artillery cannons:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adm7wm62aja9g53/Infantry Weapon Curves.xlsx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk0fm8e86m9olh4/Artillery Weapons Analysis.xlsx?dl=0

Are there comparable files for the skirmisher and cavalry weapons? I have seen broken/deleted links for them. I really would like to observe the peculiar damage falloff of the J.F. Brown sniper rifle in particular.

2. Brigades change with unit size in several aspects aside from volley damage. The size of their firing lines increase, they rotate more slowly, reorganize firing lines more slowly, they have more difficulty moving through city buildings and across bridges, and I suspect some other differences. I notice that their physical size increases have thresholds, such as infantry splitting into two lines at somewhere over 1500. Is there specific data on how these all these values change? Is there a list of all the differences? Interactions with terrain?

3. Is there a chart for that lists the specific reload speed times/percentages for each weapon? Is fire rate simply reload speed?

4. How does enemy weapon scaling work in campaign? Do they only scale from your equipped weapons? Do they scale from weapons equipped on corps that are not deployed? How much do they scale? Are there thresholds? Is there a list of the weapons they can scale to by each grand battle? Why does their armory quality percentage even exist if they scale to what the player has already?

5. Do brigades gain a small amount of defense for each veterancy star?

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 2:32 PM, GFletcher said:

pandakraut, you probably didn't notice this question, I have the same one, can you comment?

Apologies for missing this as well. Probably far too late but in case anyone else has the same question. The values from the base game for these config options are as follows:

fireAtWillMin, 5.1

fireAtWillMax, 97

These two values apply to how long a volley takes for a unit with wavering morale. When a wavering unit attempts to fire the volley can take anywhere from 5 times to 97 times as long as normal. This is why you will see units getting stuck in place with a flashing shield icon while an occasional man fires every once in a while.

moralemeleewavering, .7

moralemeleerouting, .7

On 2/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, UG CW Enjoyer said:

Are there comparable files for the skirmisher and cavalry weapons? I have seen broken/deleted links for them. I really would like to observe the peculiar damage falloff of the J.F. Brown sniper rifle in particular.

This thread should still have working links to skirmisher and cavalry spreadsheets https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

Brigades change with unit size in several aspects aside from volley damage. The size of their firing lines increase, they rotate more slowly, reorganize firing lines more slowly, they have more difficulty moving through city buildings and across bridges, and I suspect some other differences. I notice that their physical size increases have thresholds, such as infantry splitting into two lines at somewhere over 1500. Is there specific data on how these all these values change? Is there a list of all the differences? Interactions with terrain?

The rotation rate value doesn't actually decrease, just more sprites that have to travel further. Same with crossing terrain, just more sprites that have to cross. Every sprite of a unit in contact with a specific type of terrain applies a percentage of that terrains effects on the unit. This is why you can see a unit that is half in water, half in heavy forest with a relatively decent cover value.

These values are all in the game code and assets, but I don't have them listed out anywhere. 

• Is there a chart for that lists the specific reload speed times/percentages for each weapon? Is fire rate simply reload speed?

•  

The reload speed is just the fire rate stat. The displayed value isn't the same as the actual value in the hex if you go looking, but all weapons receive the same modifier to convert them into display values so there isn't really anything hidden there.

Basically 100 fire rate = 1 round per minute. 50 fire rate = .5 rounds per minute. I think, I always get the fire rate formula confused. Higher value = better.

In the thread I linked above some other players have done some analysis that links average damage with fire rate. I don't think that leads to useful data myself though as it makes high fire rate weapons look much better than they actually tend to be in game. Though it does somewhat depend on playstyle.

How does enemy weapon scaling work in campaign? Do they only scale from your equipped weapons? Do they scale from weapons equipped on corps that are not deployed? How much do they scale? Are there thresholds? Is there a list of the weapons they can scale to by each grand battle? Why does their armory quality percentage even exist if they scale to what the player has already?

There is no AI weapon scaling based on the player weapons in game anymore. That used to exist in previous versions but was removed. I wasn't playing when that existed, so I don't have any details on how it used to work beyond various horror stories about play patterns and exploits it lead to.

Each AI unit has a default weapon assigned to it for each battle. This is then modified by the armory quality percentage and the cross battle modifier if the battle happens to have one. The modified value is then checked against a list of weapons to see if it should be upgraded or downgraded. This list is considerably smaller than the full list shown in the store.

So if you keep the weapons value down(lots of kills and captures) you can reduce the quality of the AI weapons to some extent. If you don't, or if they get multiple veteran reinforcements or a weapons delivery, you can see a spike in the AI weapons quality. This tends to happen more on MG or Legendary where the armory quality percentage goes a lot higher than other difficulties. You'll see a higher progression on those difficulties even if you full clear every map for example.

• Like 1