Game-Labs Forum

UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

There isn't actually a prisoner exchange. The player is just capped at the amount of recruits they get for captures for balance reasons, any AI men that are captured are fully removed from the manpower pool.

I did not know that.  Now I think I'll try harder for captures than I have to-date.  I had assumed there was an actual exchange because the Battle Rewards box says there is.

Panda- ai scaling seems different, at Gaines mill and equal to enemy size (legendary obviously because why else play). Secondly, ref perks, updated info and non working perks to avoid (T1 artillery Ammo is one) can you confirm what is what in this mod? Running v1.8 but don’t see the orange detail you mentioned in the perks

3 hours ago, Cameronb said:

Panda- ai scaling seems different, at Gaines mill and equal to enemy size (legendary obviously because why else play). Secondly, ref perks, updated info and non working perks to avoid (T1 artillery Ammo is one) can you confirm what is what in this mod? Running v1.8 but don’t see the orange detail you mentioned in the perks

Scaling has definitely not been touched unless you enable two config settings. The scaling factors can vary quite a bit from campaign to campaign. Can you share your gaines mill numbers(also which side)?

I'm not sure what you are referring to with orange detail. The +ammo perks are the only ones that don't work. Everything else works as displayed in the tooltips.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, pandakraut said:

The +ammo perks are the only ones that don't work. Everything else works as displayed in the tooltips.

Do you mean that NONE of them work?  How can you tell since the Supply line on any unit does not offer a tooltip for how much is available?  I'm not doubting you, I just don't understand how you can tell.

3 hours ago, Sir Galahadn't said:

Do you mean that NONE of them work?  How can you tell since the Supply line on any unit does not offer a tooltip for how much is available?  I'm not doubting you, I just don't understand how you can tell.

Realizing that the +ammo bonus of perks does not work is fairly difficult if not debugging the game code, I suspect this is why the issue was never fully resolved by the devs despite them getting very close in the last patch to the game. After that patch several players including myself thought it was working but as I'll go on to explain we were incorrect.

What you can do to test it in game is put two units of artillery next to each other, one with the perk and one without. Then you need to let them fire, hold fire until they are reloaded(due to randomized aiming, reload, and volley times), let them fire again, repeat. This lets you count the total number of shots while checking the amount the supply bar drops per shot. If working correctly an artillery unit with the +ammo perk should still be at 50% ammo remaining when the non-perked unit is out of ammo. 1st Franklin is a convenient csa battle for these tests.

What you will find if you try to replicate this is that the perks work, under very specific conditions. If you assign the perk to a unit and then go immediately into a battle, no restart, no load, etc. then the perk works as expected. But a reload of the game of any kind breaks it. The issue appears to be with the save/load system as the numbers all look fine when debugging up until that black box does whatever it does.

So to be more precise the perks do work under very specific circumstances, but break under any normal use of the game. Technically, if you're using a full disband army and are very careful you could make new artillery units for every battle, give them the perk, and then disband them after the battle. Then you'd make them again and assign the perk. If at any point you have to reload, start the entire process over. I did not check to see if the perk survives phase changes or multiday battles, but I suspect it does not. 

While not entirely accurate, for the majority of players the perks effectively do not work due to how easily they break. So I've shortened my explanation to they don't work. +ammo from the logistics career points do work though.

• 2 months later...

I installed version  1.81 (which still shows version 1.8 on the startup screen) for the GOG version of the game.  However, after the first battle as the CSA my general (actually he starts out as a colonel) doesn't get any perks.  Was that changed?

Also, just to clarify, has the Logistics perk been fixed?  Does the unit get more ammo?  Or should we still avoid that?

Thanks for all your hard work fixing these issues.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, abrucewebb said:

I installed version  1.81 (which still shows version 1.8 on the startup screen) for the GOG version of the game.  However, after the first battle as the CSA my general (actually he starts out as a colonel) doesn't get any perks.  Was that changed?

I forgot to update the version number from 1.8 to 1.8.1 so you're set there. What should happen with the general is that they get promoted to BG after the first battle. This allows the player to select their starting perk.

15 hours ago, abrucewebb said:

Also, just to clarify, has the Logistics perk been fixed?  Does the unit get more ammo?  Or should we still avoid that?

+ammo perks for artillery and generals still does not work. I've tried fixing it, but the issue is tied up with the save system and I haven't been able to figure it out. The +ammo from the career point does work however.

Okay, good to know about the ammo perk.

My general didn't get promoted after the first battle. He's still a colonel so I didn't get to choose a perk.  Any ideas why?

Any ideas why?  I actually reinstalled the mod prior to starting a new campaign just in case there was an issue from my first installation. 

I also see that to uninstall it says to verify the files.  I'm assuming this is the Steam version as I don't see a way to verify the files in the GOG version.  I did, however, copy the original files to a folder.

Again, thank you for all of your hard work on modding this game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 6:04 AM, lonelydestroyer said:

I installed the mod in Directory stated, but it did not work ( there was no change to the game )

How do i fix this?

Usually this means that the mod files didn't end up in the right place. The default steam install path is 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data

There is also an Ultimate General Civil War\UGCWReporter_Data folder that tends to trip people up as it contains similar files as what would be overwritten in the correct install directory.

In case you're having issues with zip extraction here are the paths to all the files used by the mod

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\resources.assets

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\UIAICustomizations\ConfigFile.csv

Hope this helps. If you're still having trouble, or are not using a PC or a steam install let me know and we can try to figure it out from there.

• 2 months later...

Updated to 1.9

Major changes include making the two starting battles easier, replacing the +ammo perk bonuses that don't work, and adding the ability to turn off or adjust scaling. 

No scaling mode is not balanced by default, some battles may be far too easy or far too difficult. This is intended to be used in combination with AISizeMultiplier to adjust difficulty as desired. My recommendation would really be to leave scaling on and just adjust AI sizing from there, but the option has been provided as is if you want to use it.

UI Changes
- Units can be merged by dragging and dropping. Unit type and weapons have to match and the sum of both units hp must be less than the unit types max hp. Merged units stats will be averaged as normal. The dragged unit will be destroyed and its officer returned to the pool. Credit to Adishee.
- Cavalry can now hold position.
- Highlighted penalties to reload speed in perk descriptions.

Perk Changes
- Artillery tier 1 Logistics perk now gives +speed in place of +ammo. This is due to the +ammo stat being bugged.
- General tier 1 Strategy perk now gives +spotting. This is due to the +ammo stat being bugged.

Fixes to Union Deployments
- Crossroads, Rendezvous, Crampton's Gap, and Harrison's Creek deployment slots now match total units that can be deployed.
- Stones River, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and Cold Harbor deploys fixed so that all deployed units now show up on the field.
- Stones River supply wagons now appear on day 2.

Configuration Changes
- modifyTutorialBattle added into ConfigFile, enabled by default. Reduce the difficulty of the the first battle in each campaign by removing the random sizing adjustments to AI units and increasing the size of player units slightly. 
- disableScaling added into ConfigFile, disabled by default. Enabling this turns off all scaling based on the players army. AI sizing is determined by difficulty and a random factor. 
- improveArtilleryTargetting, now disabled by default. Requires far to much focus on enemy artillery given the options the player has available to keep smoothbore artillery close enough to be effective.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just got a weird bug after shiloh, I did not receive Forrests cav a reward. It looks like the rewards bugged out, every time I enter a prebattle screen for one of the available battles and then return to camp I seem to get the men and money rewards, I also keep getting more Johnstons, but I never see the reward screen and no Forrest. When I removed the mod files and reloaded everything worked fine, got Forrest and all rewards. 

Thanks for any help you can give me! 

Edited by Gero

On 10/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, pandakraut said:

Usually this means that the mod files didn't end up in the right place. The default steam install path is 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data

There is also an Ultimate General Civil War\UGCWReporter_Data folder that tends to trip people up as it contains similar files as what would be overwritten in the correct install directory.

In case you're having issues with zip extraction here are the paths to all the files used by the mod

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\resources.assets

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\UIAICustomizations\ConfigFile.csv

Hope this helps. If you're still having trouble, or are not using a PC or a steam install let me know and we can try to figure it out from there.

Same problem as the OP, manually placed the mod files into correct spot, and it is still not working. Uninstalled the game, re-installed it, and tried again, still won't work. I am basing it on the fact the display of the artillery arc is the default light gray without the range denotations, and I've tested it on an active campaign battle and a freshly started historical battle, to make sure it wasn't a load issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did you increase the award amounts (money and men) in your mod for winning battles on legendary?

For example, for the battle of Newport News (with 0 Politics) in your legendary confederate campaign you received 49,200 dollars and 3,500 men. In my vanilla campaign (with 0 Politics), I received 46,600 dollars and 3,300 men. For 1st Bull Run, you received 147,000 dollars and 9,900 men, while in my campaign I received 138,000 dollars and 9,200 men. So just for those two battles you received 196,000 dollars to my 184,600. That is a difference of 11,400 dollars (or 90 Whitworths or four 24pdr Howitzers) in your favor. In men you received 13,400 men to my 12,500 men. That is a difference of 900 men in your favor.

In fact, a person will receive less award dollars and men playing on very hard Major General (47,900 and 3,400 men for Newport News) with the vanilla game compared to your mod (49,000 and 3,500) on Legendary.

Given the change in rewards... legendary isn't quite so legendary with your mod, it would seem. Awards wise it is even more generous then Very Hard.

Or perhaps I'm missing something here...

2 hours ago, LAVA said:

Why did you increase the award amounts (money and men) in your mod for winning battles on legendary?

For example, for the battle of Newport News (with 0 Politics) in your legendary confederate campaign you received 49,200 dollars and 3,500 men. In my vanilla campaign (with 0 Politics), I received 46,600 dollars and 3,300 men. For 1st Bull Run, you received 147,000 dollars and 9,900 men, while in my campaign I received 138,000 dollars and 9,200 men. So just for those two battles you received 196,000 dollars to my 184,600. That is a difference of 11,400 dollars (or 90 Whitworths or four 24pdr Howitzers) in your favor. In men you received 13,400 men to my 12,500 men. That is a difference of 900 men in your favor.

In fact, a person will receive less award dollars and men playing on very hard Major General (47,900 and 3,400 men for Newport News) with the vanilla game compared to your mod (49,000 and 3,500) on Legendary.

Given the change in rewards... legendary isn't quite so legendary with your mod, it would seem. Awards wise it is even more generous then Very Hard.

Or perhaps I'm missing something here...

The mod makes no changes to the reward amounts for any battle. If it did I certainly would have noted those changes in the changelog.

This is easy to check by verifying local files through steam to revert the mod and loading up your saves again. The reward values displayed pre battle are updated every time a save is loaded, so you can see them changing when doing something like switching to the J&P mod where reward values have been changed.

I did some checking around found that the rewards for legendary Newport News in unmodded playthroughs do have a random element to them. This specifically is not due to captures of men or supplies as those values are not included in the displayed reward popup when returning to camp and the pre battle and post battle reward numbers line up as well when captures are excluded.

Some examples:

https://youtu.be/3kTRGZv_h28?list=PL6-2WZCqywMUvVOalOdQuzcQBxEASq-mp&t=1134 $52900, 3700 men, 3 pol

https://youtu.be/1ht13kYXAos?list=PL6-2WZCqywMWNyI4imucF1tSJjyaqs2qx&t=1199 $47800, 3400 men. 0 pol

https://youtu.be/sRq5PPKQyAo?list=PLWGIUDB4ZZsbvSh049eR4mvIay3z9kgIF&t=723 $48400, 3400 men, 4 pol
https://youtu.be/249MTBYb5Ek?list=PLt-JAMmvyAGkJLwjA3jEj8SGelO2CAeAg&t=941 $49000, 3500 men, 3 pol

Then I started comparing my old saves from various campaigns. These were generally all made at least several months apart.

$49200, 3500. 0 pol

$45400, 3200. 0 pol

$44400, 3200. 3 pol 

Next I restored back to vanilla game, started multiple campaigns in a row and received 41300 and 2900 every time. Switched back to 1.9.2 and started a new campaign and received the exact same reward. So whatever is going on seems to be tied to a random seed that gives the same result fairly consistently to the same user in a given timeframe.

Given all the examples available, it appears to be more common than not for the rewards not to match exactly for each player. While this could add up over time, presumably some values will be higher and some lower and it will even out in the long run. The same variance exists in battles due to the sizeRandomization scaling factor, no two campaigns will be exactly alike.   

While no rewards were changed, some of the other changes and bug fixes do change the campaign balance a bit. Some of them will make it a bit easier, some will make it a bit harder. The majority of the balance affecting changes can be disabled in the config. For example, the latest version does make the tutorial battles a bit easier as the majority of the community is clearly on the side of them being harder than they need to be. This can of course be disabled if you prefer. I would highly recommend reviewing the changelog and the config file so you can adjust to your own taste.

4 hours ago, pandakraut said:

I did some checking around found that the rewards for legendary Newport News in unmodded playthroughs do have a random element to them. This specifically is not due to captures of men or supplies as those values are not included in the displayed reward popup when returning to camp and the pre battle and post battle reward numbers line up as well when captures are excluded.

I am referring to the strategic map, and the quantity of money, men and prestige points that is displayed for fighting the next battle when you click on the battle icon. The only modifier of this amount is Politics. Given that you have 0 politics, and I have 0 politics and we are both playing Legendary, the awards shown in the box at the upper right of the screen when you click on the next battle on the strategic map should be the same.

Thus, after fighting Potomac Fort, with 0 points in Politics, the amount of money, men and prestige points shown on the strategic map as awards for the next battle, Newport News, should be the same for both of us.

For Newport News, mine (vanilla) shows 46600 dollars, 3300 men and 4 points.  Yours (with the mod) shows 49200 dollars, 3500 men and 4 points.

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

I am referring to the strategic map, and the quantity of money, men and prestige points that is displayed for fighting the next battle when you click on the battle icon. The only modifier of this amount is Politics. Given that you have 0 politics, and I have 0 politics and we are both playing Legendary, the awards shown in the box at the upper right of the screen when you click on the next battle on the strategic map should be the same.

Thus, after fighting Potomac Fort, with 0 points in Politics, the amount of money, men and prestige points shown on the strategic map as awards for the next battle, Newport News, should be the same for both of us.

For Newport News, mine (vanilla) shows 46600 dollars, 3300 men and 4 points.  Yours (with the mod) shows 49200 dollars, 3500 men and 4 points.

The numbers on the strategic map and those displayed as a reward after the battle are the same. Here are the time stamps for the prebattle numbers from the same examples above.

https://youtu.be/zVgUEuppl9M?list=PL6-2WZCqywMUvVOalOdQuzcQBxEASq-mp&t=2315 $52900, 3700 men, 3 pol

https://youtu.be/g8pugYF-7mw?list=PL6-2WZCqywMWNyI4imucF1tSJjyaqs2qx&t=2560 $47800, 3400 men. 0 pol

https://youtu.be/uav4nqktxN8?list=PLt-JAMmvyAGkJLwjA3jEj8SGelO2CAeAg&t=360 $49000, 3500 men, 3 pol

No link to Mukremin Gul's video as he doesn't show the pre battle numbers.

You can compare against your own campaigns to confirm. If the values matched exactly then the rewards should differ by 7.5% since you invested in politics in the second one.

47800 * 0.075 = 3585

3585 + 47800 = 51385 which is not equal to 52900

Comparing multiple different vanilla campaigns from different players I could not find numbers matching exactly. I found the same thing when comparing against vanilla saves. I'm not sure what else I can test to try to prove this point.

Edit: toned down some frustration from a long day

Edited by pandakraut

Here is my video (awful as it is) of Potomac Fort on Legendary with no mods. At the beginning you will see I have properly chosen Legendary and if you go to minute 48:30 I then bring up the Strategic Map where it shows that the victory rewards for Newport News are 46600 dollars, 3300 men and 4 points. At 48:45 you see my career points and Politics is 0.

Now look at your video at the beginning of Newport News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrqIeFoNYfc&t=95s

At the beginning of your video (minute 1:30) while viewing the Strategic Map you can clearly see the rewards for victory at Newport News are 49200 dollars, 3500 men and 4 points.

That is a difference of an additional 2600 dollars and 200 men in favor of using the mod.

Oh, just to be clear. It really doesn't bother me that the mod gives additional money and men for winning battles when playing Legendary.

In fact, I was following a lot of your advice on my campaign as it is pretty obvious how good a player you are. I accidentally stumbled on the fact that in your campaign you were getting more rewards than I. It does not obviate the fact that you are an awesome player, but as the rewards are always a bit more than I receive, it does, in the long term provide quite a substantial bonus for playing with the mod in the long term.