Game-Labs Forum

UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2

Just fought Fredricksberg, 105 thousand CSA vs 175 thousand Union.  Dear god what a slaughter.  I made the mistake of advancing my center when I thought the Yankees where on the run only to run into another 15,000 reinforcements with 72 guns, it was a mess, and I ended up retreating back to my start line through awful terrain.

I noticed the AI was able to launch full scale attacks, then still have the strength to redeploy and attack another part of the line.  They also had a lot of artillery, a lot of 10p and 10 ord, which I didnt have the ability to suppress.  I lost a lot of cav disabling union battery's. 

The union lost 105 thousand men and 200 guns.  I lost 17 thousand and 50 guns (mostly 12H and napoleons which I used right on the front lines). My two sniper units got 9000 kills between them at Marys Heights.  Apart from a few wagons I got not captures, so those were all kills...

Most fun I've had in the game in a long time.

I set the multiplier to 3, I think you would make the game a bit crazy if you left it at that.  I think 1.5 to 2.0 would work better at BG over a campaign. On the other hand I captured 20000 harpers ferrys, 39 10 parrots, 37 10 ord.

• Like 1

Another player was testing something similar a while back where the AI units were always max size no matter what. I can't recall if they were on MG or Legendary but they made it through Antietam at least. So it's possible at least, but probably not recommended for most players. Good to hear it's having the effect you were hoping for.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TechnoSarge said:

Do you have any idea of why, on certain maps, you can chase the other side out of their entrenchments, but then you can't use them yourself? I've been chafed that I have to absorb counterattacks without the bonus my enemies enjoyed!

Some fortifications are just not enabled for the player. They could probably be enabled but that would also open up some weird exploits in terms of occupying fortifications without being in them.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, pandakraut said:

Another player was testing something similar a while back where the AI units were always max size no matter what. I can't recall if they were on MG or Legendary but they made it through Antietam at least. So it's possible at least, but probably not recommended for most players. Good to hear it's having the effect you were hoping for.

It was Legendary. I didn't play the campaign through completion, but it was doable. Washington probably would of been ugly.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all!  I installed the UI/AI customization mod, and it's great (especially the weapons arcs and AI behavior).

However, when I attempted to edit Ultimate General Civil War_Data/Mod/UIAICustomizations/ConfigFile.csv to change the following:

replaceSizeDegradationCurves, true

to "false", using OpenOffice Spreadsheet, it broke the game (freezes on opening screen).

I even used the same format ('false) as the 'true cells, but it didn't work.

Is there some formatting weirdness going on that I can't see?  What program should I use to edit that cell? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raymond said:

Hello all!  I installed the UI/AI customization mod, and it's great (especially the weapons arcs and AI behavior).

However, when I attempted to edit Ultimate General Civil War_Data/Mod/UIAICustomizations/ConfigFile.csv to change the following:

replaceSizeDegradationCurves, true

to "false", using OpenOffice Spreadsheet, it broke the game (freezes on opening screen).

I even used the same format ('false) as the 'true cells, but it didn't work.

Is there some formatting weirdness going on that I can't see?  What program should I use to edit that cell? 

Probably a formatting issue. I usually just edit them in notepad or some equivalent to avoid the possibility. I should probably just change them to .txt at this point.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your work!

May I ask What is the original setting number for "fireAtWillMin" and "fireAtWillMax"? Because I prefer the original balance(To be honest, I don't konw what are the meaning for these two setting as a beginner).  Also I would like to know the original setting number for "moraleMeleeRouting" and "moraleMeleeWavering". Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2019 at 11:22 AM, pandakraut said:

This is an issue from the base game that I'm unable to fix. The perk works if you create a new unit and immediately start a battle. It stops working as soon as you restart a battle, go back to camp, load a save, etc. I considered replacing the perk entirely since it's not reliable, but there isn't an obvious bonus to replace it with, so I left it as is. Unfortunately just not picking the perk is the solution at the moment.

Maybe I should just update the description with a big does not work warning message...

Hi pandakraut, thank you for all your amazing contribution to this wonderful game!

Is the T1 artillery perk still broken as you describe here?  I thought I read/heard somewhere (youtube/reddit/steam) that is was fixed, but I can't for the life of me find it.  Thanks again for your great work! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dkman82 said:

Is the T1 artillery perk still broken as you describe here?  I thought I read/heard somewhere (youtube/reddit/steam) that is was fixed, but I can't for the life of me find it.  Thanks again for your great work! 

Yes, unfortunately that perk does not work reliably enough to be usable. The latest official patch did appear to fix it, but it wasn't until much latter that I figured out that there was still a problem. The perk works when initially selected, but any kind of load or battle restart will break it again. Same for the t1 supply perk for generals. Career points in logistics do work though.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:53 PM, pandakraut said:

Probably a formatting issue. I usually just edit them in notepad or some equivalent to avoid the possibility. I should probably just change them to .txt at this point.

Noo! CSV is so much easier to work with, especially if you take a formulaic approach to changing a number of related values. Not relevant here, but for Rebalance and modding in general, being able to mess around in Excel beats the hell out of a text editor.

Question: if you disable scaling by setting the multiplier to (for instance) 1, do you lose the dynamic campaign AI force pool / troop strength entirely (and enemy unit sizes just track the Custom Battles # x the multiplier) or does that setting only impact the final calculation of unit sizes based on the player's averages?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BHunterSEAL said:

Noo! CSV is so much easier to work with, especially if you take a formulaic approach to changing a number of related values. Not relevant here, but for Rebalance and modding in general, being able to mess around in Excel beats the hell out of a text editor.

Question: if you disable scaling by setting the multiplier to (for instance) 1, do you lose the dynamic campaign AI force pool / troop strength entirely (and enemy unit sizes just track the Custom Battles # x the multiplier) or does that setting only impact the final calculation of unit sizes based on the player's averages?

You're in luck, between my being lazy and not having time in general they'll probably remain named as is :)

That setting applies post all normal scaling calculations. The only battles that have all scaling factors turned off outside of the difficulty modifier are the allied unit only battles. I could add an option to disable scaling entirely for every battle, but having seen the default unit sizes you'd be looking at an easier version of colonel.

6 minutes ago, BHunterSEAL said:

Got it. And for my own sanity (I've been playing around with mods and thus constantly restarting), does changing the scaling setting work with in-progress campaigns?

Yes, as long as you restart the game and then start a new battle the changes will apply.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I haven't been playing UGCW for a while and recently returned to it. I love the idea of the mod. I'm on a Mac and have followed pandakraut's installation procedure to the letter, but it just will not work. I assume I'd know if the install has worked by the version in the bottom left corner. It does not show the new version number. The only clue I have that the install may not be working is that it does not ask if I want to overwrite the original files. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Majordave said:

Hi Guys,

I haven't been playing UGCW for a while and recently returned to it. I love the idea of the mod. I'm on a Mac and have followed pandakraut's installation procedure to the letter, but it just will not work. I assume I'd know if the install has worked by the version in the bottom left corner. It does not show the new version number. The only clue I have that the install may not be working is that it does not ask if I want to overwrite the original files. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you aren't getting the overwrite notifications then you are probably in the wrong directory. I don't have a mac to test the install myself, but from some screenshots someone sent me there are several very similarly named folders in the areas described in the instructions. Do the folders you are trying to move the files into contain the respective assembly-csharp.dll and resources.assets files? Sorry I can't provide more exact details.

• 4 weeks later...

Some questions about this mod:

- Shattered units return to camp. Configurable using returnShatteredUnits.  Does this mean that the surviving manpower from shattered units goes back into the manpower pool for both sides?  If not, what exactly is its effect?

- Artillery counter battery will now only activate if nearest target is not within 700 range.  Will artillery automatically return to counter-battery fire once any other target has moved past 700 range?  Will it stay on counter-battery fire even if another target is within 700 range if I direct it to?

1 hour ago, Sir Galahadn't said:

- Shattered units return to camp. Configurable using returnShatteredUnits.  Does this mean that the surviving manpower from shattered units goes back into the manpower pool for both sides?  If not, what exactly is its effect?

In the base game if a player unit shatters, the officer, men, and weapons all disappear. With this setting enabled in the mod, the shattered unit will show up as an active unit in camp like any other unit that survives the battle. Medicine will return units as normal.

- Artillery counter battery will now only activate if nearest target is not within 700 range.  Will artillery automatically return to counter-battery fire once any other target has moved past 700 range?  Will it stay on counter-battery fire even if another target is within 700 range if I direct it to?

Player targeting commands override all unit target selection logic. If the unit is idle(has lost a target, finished moving to a location, etc) it will attempt to select the nearest valid target. In the mod, instead of just choosing the nearest target, rifled artillery will attempt to find a valid artillery target and fire at it. This logic is overriding if any enemy unit gets within 700 range.

8 hours ago, pandakraut said:

In the base game if a player unit shatters, the officer, men, and weapons all disappear. With this setting enabled in the mod, the shattered unit will show up as an active unit in camp like any other unit that survives the battle. Medicine will return units as normal.

Does this apply to the AI, too?  I don't want the AI's shattered units returning to its army and manpower pool.

3 hours ago, Sir Galahadn't said:

Does this apply to the AI, too?  I don't want the AI's shattered units returning to its army and manpower pool.

The mod made no changes to how shattered units affect the AI, which is to say that the men remaining in the unit when it shatters effectively return to the AI manpower pool. The only way to completely remove them is to capture the unit.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

The mod made no changes to how shattered units affect the AI, which is to say that the men remaining in the unit when it shatters effectively return to the AI manpower pool. The only way to completely remove them is to capture the unit.

Bummer!  Doesn't the AI get them back anyway in a prisoner exchange?  And, is there any way to refuse the exchange?  I really don't like exchanging 13K prisoners for 1K recruits.  I would rather the AI have 13K less in its manpower pool than have the 1K recruits.

Bummer!  Doesn't the AI get them back anyway in a prisoner exchange?  And, is there any way to refuse the exchange?  I really don't like exchanging 13K prisoners for 1K recruits.  I would rather the AI have 13K less in its manpower pool than have the 1K recruits.

There isn't actually a prisoner exchange. The player is just capped at the amount of recruits they get for captures for balance reasons, any AI men that are captured are fully removed from the manpower pool.