Game-Labs Forum

UI and AI Customizations Mod V1.9.2

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/NmHUGvq

This mod is not compatible with any other mod that changes the Assembly-CSharp.dll. Permission was granted by the developer to modify game files. Thanks to Jonny for saving me from hex editing.

Updates for V1.9.2:
Fixed a bug that was causing rewards to be given multiple times after CSA Shiloh and Union Antietam.

Updates for V1.9.1:
Fixed a bug that was causing the AI units to be larger in the starting battles.

Updates for V1.9:
Major changes include making the two starting battles easier, replacing the +ammo perk bonuses that don't work, and adding the ability to turn off or adjust scaling. 

No scaling mode is not balanced by default, some battles may be far too easy or far too difficult. This is intended to be used in combination with AISizeMultiplier to adjust difficulty as desired. My recommendation would really be to leave scaling on and just adjust AI sizing from there, but the option has been provided as is if you want to use it.

UI Changes
- Units can be merged by dragging and dropping. Unit type and weapons have to match and the sum of both units hp must be less than the unit types max hp. Merged units stats will be averaged as normal. The dragged unit will be destroyed and its officer returned to the pool. Credit to Adishee.
- Cavalry can now hold position.
- Highlighted penalties to reload speed in perk descriptions.

Perk Changes
- Artillery tier 1 Logistics perk now gives +speed in place of +ammo. This is due to the +ammo stat being bugged.
- General tier 1 Strategy perk now gives +spotting. This is due to the +ammo stat being bugged.

Fixes to Union Deployments
- Crossroads, Rendezvous, Crampton's Gap, and Harrison's Creek deployment slots now match total units that can be deployed.
- Stones River, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and Cold Harbor deploys fixed so that all deployed units now show up on the field.
- Stones River supply wagons now appear on day 2.

Configuration Changes
- modifyTutorialBattle added into ConfigFile, enabled by default. Reduce the difficulty of the the first battle in each campaign by removing the random sizing adjustments to AI units and increasing the size of player units slightly. 
- disableScaling added into ConfigFile, disabled by default. Enabling this turns off all scaling based on the players army. AI sizing is determined by difficulty and a random factor. 
- improveArtilleryTargetting, now disabled by default. Requires far to much focus on enemy artillery given the options the player has available to keep smoothbore artillery close enough to be effective.

Previous changes:

Optional Balance Changes

- Reattaching skirmishers is now on a cooldown. When skirmishers are detached, the reattach button will be disabled for approximately 10 in game minutes. Unfortunately I am unable to add a visual cooldown indicator beyond graying out the icon.
- Shattered units return to camp. Configurable using returnShatteredUnits.
- Infantry units no longer have a damage penalty in fortifications(now matches all other unit types). Configurable using removeInfantryFortificationPenalty.
- Artillery counter battery logic now configurable using improveArtilleryTargetting.
- Artillery counter battery will now only activate if nearest target is not within 700 range.
- Allied units will now return a percentage(varies by difficulty) of weapons for men alive at the end of the battle. 
- Allied units will now return a lower percentage(varies by difficulty) of weapons for men killed.
- Allied unit weapon recovery changes are configurable using enableSurvivingAlliesWeaponReturn.
- Weapon return rate from captured units reduced slightly for all difficulties.
- Skirmisher melee strength reduced slightly.
- AI Charge logic updated to better account for efficiency, firearms, and accuracy perks when determining melee and fire power.
- Surrender chance now increases when an officer is wounded or the unit has low condition. 
- Units can now make surrender checks when allied units are nearby.
- Surrender logic changes are configurable using enableSurrenderLogicUpdates.
- Fire at will volley time when a unit is wavering has been significantly shortened. This will result in units spending less time standing in place firing sporadically. This is configurable using fireAtWillMin and fireAtWillMax.
- Melee damage penalty when engaging multiple units has been changed from 25% to 45%. Setting up 2v1 melee engagements is still beneficial but it should be less possible for two smaller units to beat a larger unit under normal circumstances. This is configurable using meleeMultiplePenalty.
- Melee penalty when routing or wavering increased. Routing units will now inflict less damage in melee. This is configurable using moraleMeleeRouting and moraleMeleeWavering.

UI
- The tooltip in the top left of camp will now display Difficulty: Legendary when appropriate.
- Perk tooltips now properly display all bonuses the perk provides.
- Several perks had missing perk bonuses. Since additional bonuses cannot be added, minor stat increases have been replaced with the missing unique bonus.
- Endurance Course(all), Tactical Training, Short Range Training, Long Range Training, Sharpshooter(skirmishers), Horseback Riding, Cavalry Training, Reconnaissance Course(cavalry), Shock Cavalry are affected.
- Horseback Riding had it's unique bonus changed to Accuracy since the Endurance Training speed bonus applies to both mounted and unmounted units.
- Weapon tooltips have been updated to show a damage range instead of accuracy low, hi, and base damage.
- Weapon tooltips updated to display collateral radius and ammunition cost.
- All weapon tooltips now have a Range Damage Multiplier section which shows the modifier applied at short, medium, long, and max range. Cannon will also display the modifier at 100 range. These provide snapshots of how effective a given weapon is at various ranges. Short, medium, long, and max correspond to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and maximum effective range for each given weapon. So short range for rifles is 75, while for the 20pdrs its 500.
- Weapon range arc color changed to white to increase visibility.
- Artillery range arcs will now display canister and shell shot ranges.
- Artillery descriptions updated with some context on how effective cannons are at various ranges to provide insight into how the damageDegradation curve affects the base stats.
- Weapon tooltips updated to show actual weapon range for rifles. The better the rifle the more effective it is at longer ranges with the exception of repeating rifles which are more effective at medium ranges. For more details see http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/
- When a division commander is wounded or killed the popup message will notify you of the affected division.
- Updated terrain tooltips to show modded damage modifiers. These do not apply if in a fortification.
- Display a warning message when issuing an attack order that forces your artillery to move to be able to hit the target.

AI
- Player Skirmisher and Infantry AI has been updated. If their target is blocked by a friendly unit they will not move and wait for their target to clear and then resume firing. If their target is blocked by an enemy unit they will not move and attempt to lock onto a new target. This is intended to prevent snipers or infantry units from charging enemy units when their sight line is blocked after a direct attack order. Units will still sometimes acquire a target and not fire as before. If units with a direct attack order are charged they will not attempt to retreat so attention is still needed.
- The player's idle skirmishers will now fire at units in range when hidden without a direct fire order.
- The player's skirmishers on hold position will now fire at units in range when hidden without a direct fire order.
- Idle artillery will now prioritize targeting artillery if enemy units are not to close. This affects both the player and AI units.

Bug Fixes
- Ammo count can no longer go negative.
- Update logic that prevented idle units from firing when out of ammunition and unable to charge.    
- Reinforcing supply units no longer take up a deploy slot.
- Fixed terrain damage modifiers to apply to ranged damage.
- Updated all CSA battles so that deployment screen brigade numbers match the actual number of units that will show up on the field.
- Updated all CSA battles so that percentage deploys always deploy a full corps when possible. It is no longer necessary to overfill corps to get the maximum amount of units.
- The previous two changes primarily affect Gaines Mill, Stones River day 1, Gettysburg, Chickamauga day 1 and 2, and Cold Harbor.

Customizations
- Enabled recovery of weapons from captured units. Rates vary by difficulty. Colonel: .5 BG: .375 MG/Leg: .25
- The player's starting general will now have all perks selectable after the initial battle.
- Implemented new damage degradation curves so that adding more men or cannon to a unit will always result in higher damage. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ch6DvD0zcV3tvMMKedHO0h39YSaclS-y
- Added a configuration file at Ultimate General Civil War_Data/Mod/UIAICustomizations/ConfigFile.csv.
- Added config setting timerMultiplier. Decimal value can be updated to increase all in game timers. Defaults to no change.
- Added config setting endOfDayMultiplier. Decimal value can be updated to push back each battles hard end time. Defaults to no change.
- Added config setting replaceSizeDegradationCurves. Boolean value to enable the new damage curves. Defaults to enabled. 

The changes to damage degradation will result in larger artillery and skirmisher units doing significantly more damage. 
Since the intent of this mod is to provide quality of life improvements and fix minor bugs without changing game balance this change is able to be disabled.

The timer and end of day settings are intended for players who dislike how the game timers work. 
If you would like less pressure from the timers I would recommend a setting of timerMultipler, 1.3 and an endOfDayMultiplier of 1.1.
This will make defensive battles harder as it will take longer for reinforcements to arrive. 

Install Instructions: 

Download CustomizationsModV1.8.zip and extract the zip folder into your Ultimate General Civil War_Data directory.  You will be prompted to overwrite Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets

Uninstall Instructions:

Verify game files to restore the Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets

Mac Install Instructions:

1) In Steam, right click UGCW and select Properties. 

2) Click local files, then select browse local files

3) right click 'Ultimate General Civil War' and select 'show package contents'

4) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/

a) Place the 'Mod' folder in Contents/

5) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/Resources/Data/

a) Copy the resources.assets file into /Data/

b) Copy the /Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll file from the mod release into the /Managed/ folder, overwriting the existing file

Get the Mod Here(depending on browser you may get a warning that the file can be harmful to your computer, you will have to override this): 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x68wwibusg4k8w2/CustomizationsModV1.9.2.zip?dl=0

GoG version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/krp8m620z9e9j90/CustomizationsModGoGV1.9.2.zip?dl=0

Edited by pandakraut
Updated Version
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

This mod and the rebalance mod cannot be installed together. All the changes here will also be going into the rebalance mod, that one just takes more time to update and test. It's being tested currently, so it will be updated 'soon' 

Artillery range arcs will now display canister and shell shot ranges.

Is this in the rebalance mod already? I haven't noticed any difference in the range arcs. Is it something subtle?
____
Not sure if possible but would be good AI improvements for the AI
-Withdraw from a pocket when encircled (use fallback button)
-No charges with an infantry unit if it has less than 750 unit strength or 50% of the original unit max, whichever is higher (prevents an entire unit from shattering/suicide behavior)
-Fallback any infantry unit that is under 500 unit strength or 35% of the original unit max, whichever is higher (prevents an entire unit from shattering), if a unit encounters melee at this value it should surrender.
-Tweak campaign to not generate melee cavalry (AI is incompetent with it, it's very good with skirmisher cav) for the AI, or increase flanking and aggressiveness of enemy cavalry AI (I've seen the infantry skirmisher AI being more aggressive in some cases)
-Fix AI supply convoys running into your lines

Edited by limith

4 hours ago, limith said:

Is this in the rebalance mod already? I haven't noticed any difference in the range arcs. Is it something subtle?

Rebalance mod hasn't been updated with this yet. A lot of balance changes were made and it's in testing. The arc changes will be included whenever it is released and should be very noticeable.

Tweak campaign to not generate melee cavalry

Changing unit types is outside the scope of this mod though you will see some of it occur in the J&P mod. AI melee cavalry can be very dangerous in that mod. Though once battles get bigger and battle lines thicker they are more of a deterrence for the player sneaking around into the AIs rear than anything else.

-Fix AI supply convoys running into your lines

This has to do with sight lines and unit locations. Supply units will always go straight to a unit that needs resupply, and they only respond to enemy units within their sight radius. So if the AI has units split up across the map the supply unit can go towards your lines to get to them. Increasing their sight radius results in your wagons constantly running away from everything.

-Withdraw from a pocket when encircled (use fallback button)
-No charges with an infantry unit if it has less than 750 unit strength or 50% of the original unit max, whichever is higher (prevents an entire unit from shattering/suicide behavior)
-Fallback any infantry unit that is under 500 unit strength or 35% of the original unit max, whichever is higher (prevents an entire unit from shattering), if a unit encounters melee at this value it should surrender.

Most of these more or less exist already. When the AI detects it's at a disadvantage it will try to fallback. Charges will only happen if the AI thinks it has an advantage. The thing is that the AI has no context beyond the numbers visible to it. So what may appear a terrible situation to the player may actually look sound to the AI. If I find a reliable way to change this kind of thing I will, but accurate testing is very difficult.

Surrender chances increase at low percentages of unit size and morale but also check the status of surrounding allied units. Surrender rates cold be increased, but this has a lot of side effects on the campaign due to how things work behind the scenes with surrendering units. There is another mod that is working on that style of play on the Steam forums. 

I wonder if there is a bug with AI vision then since I don't see the AI withdrawing from pockets even when it has full vision on my units. Maybe it is related to my units being in forest? I do see it withdrawing if my units are in open field. But none of my units have the hidden icon.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's not a lack of spotting. If you give the AI a huge spotting bonus it tends to just get more aggressive and attack you where you are. This part is pure speculation, but given that most maps are fairly small and the AI is generally trying to hold objectives it might be prioritizing the objective over unit safety.

The AI should probably prioritize unit safety a bit more then, cause on too many maps the player can just hole up in forests winning attrition wars while the AI tries to dislodge the player from the forest, rather than say, flanking, or pulling back and letting artillery kill the player. Given the player has less artillery than AI if the AI just held back under forest cover and relied on their artillery to shell the player, then the player would be forced to be on the offensive. On Fredericksburg for example, once the Union AI stops charging blindly at the CSA, trying to kill the union artillery is a major challenge since they have so many batteries surrounding one another that they can just canister one another and cause severe losses. If the AI didn't charge and used its artillery advantage to pound my units into smithereens it would've done much better.

Edited by limith

37 minutes ago, madmatg said:

Any chance the topo map can be brought back?

As far as I know in UGG the lines were manually drawn. So if someone figures out how to export the UGCW maps into an editor, and then spend the necessary time to figure out what the lines should be and draw them in, maybe it could be done. If it's possible at all it would take a considerable time investment.

If you reinstall the previous version it will still work. The hotfix changes weren't really to the files touched by the customizations mod so there almost isn't any need for an update. There is another change I want to make though, so I will be releasing a new version fairly soon that is also updated for 1.11.

I found what I would consider a bug in the weapon recovery rate for units that surrender. Currently when you capture a unit you only get the weapons from the men killed in the unit prior to it being captured. Shattering a unit will get you more weapons than capturing it. It could be that the current functionality is intended to prevent farming weapons from capturing units, I hear this was a problem back in beta, but I don't think shattering units to capture more weapons makes sense.

I'll be allowing weapons to be recovered from captured units, though at half the rate that is defined in the base game. Col: 0.5, BG: 0.375, MG+: 0.25. This gives more incentive to try and capture units without affecting the economy as much as the full rate would.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Updated to version 1.3

- Artillery descriptions updated with some context on how effective cannons are at various ranges to provide insight into how the damageDegradation curve affects the base stats.
- Weapon tooltips updated to show actual weapon range for rifles. In general the better the rifle the more effective it is  out to the maximum range with the exception of repeating rifles which are more effective at medium ranges.

For more details see http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

On 5/2/2018 at 4:55 AM, pandakraut said:

Here are just the UI and AI updates of the J&P Rebalance Mod without the balance changes. This mod is not compatible with any other mod that changes the Assembly-CSharp.dll. Permission was granted by the developer to modify game files.

Updates for V1.3:

- Weapon tooltips updated to show actual weapon range for rifles. The better the rifle the more effective it is at longer ranges with the exception of repeating rifles which are more effective at medium ranges. For more details see http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

Previous changes:

UI
- Weapon tooltips updated in camp and in battle to to display Accuracy high value. Simplified, the starting point of the damage calculation is a random value between Accuracy Low and Accuracy High * Weapon Damage.
- Weapon tooltips updated to display collateral radius and ammunition cost.
- Weapon range arc color changed to white to increase visibility.
- Artillery range arcs will now display canister and shell shot ranges.

AI
- Player Skirmisher and Infantry AI has been updated. If their target is blocked by a friendly unit they will not move and wait for their target to clear and then resume firing. If their target is blocked by an enemy unit they will not move and attempt to lock onto a new target. This is intended to prevent snipers or infantry units from charging enemy units when their sight line is blocked after a direct attack order. Units will still sometimes acquire a target and not fire as before. If units with a direct attack order are charged they will not attempt to retreat so attention is still needed.

Customizations

- Starting general xp modified so that after the tutorial battle you will start with a perk available to select. At Major General or above only the level 2 perk will be selectable. First perk will still be random.
- Enabled recovery of weapons from captured units. Rates vary by difficulty. Colonel: .5 BG: .375 MG/Leg: .25

Install Instructions: 

Download RebalanceModV1.3 and extract the zip folder into your Ultimate General Civil War_Data directory.  You will be prompted to overwrite Assembly-CSharp.dll

Uninstall Instructions:

Verify game files to restore the Assembly-CSharp.dll

Get the Mod Here: 

CustomizationsModV1.3.zip

Hi,

May I ask if this works on Apple iMac or will it be available vi Apple store as an up please.

Many thanks

29 minutes ago, contact said:

May I ask if this works on Apple iMac or will it be available vi Apple store as an up please.

Mod should work on a mac though the install instructions are a bit different.

4) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/Resources/Data/

5) Copy the /Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll file from the mod release into the /Managed/ folder, overwriting the existing file

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Mod should work on a mac though the install instructions are a bit different.

4) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/Resources/Data/

5) Copy the /Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll file from the mod release into the /Managed/ folder, overwriting the existing file

Hi

Thank you 👍

Panda, having tried this Mod out, I genuinely don't think I can go back to playing without it.

One day I'll try the Rebalance too, but for now even just the visual and Tool Tip elements make this indispensable to me.  

Great work!

FG

PS I'll be doing a show-case vid on my channel and post it either here or on reddit.

Edited by Fiasco
Addendums.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the work Pandakraut!  

I'm having an issue with the mod though...I followed the install instructions but now when I try to launch the game it just opens up steam (despite me having purchased the game on gog.com).  Any ideas?  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan4GS said:

'm having an issue with the mod though...I followed the install instructions but now when I try to launch the game it just opens up steam (despite me having purchased the game on gog.com).

This is the first I've heard of anyone trying it with a gog version. The gog install has an Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Managed folder with an Assembly-CSharp.dll in it?

The dll I have from steam does have references to steam in it, so it's possible that the gog version is using a different dll. The changes probably have to be redone for gog.