Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

4 minutes ago, BCH said:

Question on Supply wagon commanders:

I noticed that Hoke, who is the 1st division supply commander) received a promotion after the 1st Bull Run.

Does this do anything in regards to that unit?

I don't think so. As far as I know those commanders are just generated at the start of each battle.

9 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

I don't think so. As far as I know those commanders are just generated at the start of each battle.

I was just surprised about the promotion, not sure I ever noticed it before in the after battle report. Hoke just happened to stand out this time.

4 minutes ago, BCH said:

I was just surprised about the promotion, not sure I ever noticed it before in the after battle report. Hoke just happened to stand out this time.

Yeah, every now and again it'll happen. You can also get that officer wounded/killed if you are baiting with the supply wagon but it also has no effect that I'm aware of.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

Yeah, every now and again it'll happen. You can also get that officer wounded/killed if you are baiting with the supply wagon but it also has no effect that I'm aware of.

I was hoping it would give me the Civil War equivalent of the US Red Ball Express of WWII in Europe..

• Like 1

1.25 Mod - MG level @ Logan's Crossing:

Odd ball withdraw direction

I had the CSA cavalry unit 'trapped' in the Southwest corner with a 500 man skirmisher unit; and a 250 man mounted infantry attacking their flank. The CSA cavalry charged the skirmishers, when I hit withdraw, the skirmishers withdrew  in the direction they were firing..  the out come was not game changing; the CSA cavalry unit routed.

26 minutes ago, BCH said:

1.25 Mod - MG level @ Logan's Crossing:

Odd ball withdraw direction

I had the CSA cavalry unit 'trapped' in the Southwest corner with a 500 man skirmisher unit; and a 250 man mounted infantry attacking their flank. The CSA cavalry charged the skirmishers, when I hit withdraw, the skirmishers withdrew  in the direction they were firing..  the out come was not game changing; the CSA cavalry unit routed.

Sounds like ghost cav may have triggered.

1.25 Mod - MG level Logan's Crossing

Collateral artillery damage

Rather impressive..

I used the strategy of placing the Union brigades in the woods Southeast of the VP, and kept the Infantry brigades hidden at first and let the Union batteries (6 total) ,which were hidden, pound the CSA brigades milling around in the center.

Since none of the Union brigades in the woods were spotted, with the exception of my skirmisher unit and mounted infantry unit who were trying to finish off the CSA cavalry, I put the game on max speed. I had focused all batteries on a single CSA brigade closes to the woods; close behind that brigade were 3 more CSA brigades. All four CSA brigades took damage..

The numbers rolled down like a gas pump dollar gauge spun up when gas was less than a $1.00 per gallon.

The thing to remember is that AI batteries can do the same to your own units if they are stacked close behind each other.

• Like 1

1.25 Mod - MG level Shiloh

Not sure I can pull this off with my present army; I can only field 10,300 infantry between two Corp, 5 divisions total for 30 brigades.

Two tries have been a complete disaster; I am unable to significantly delay the CSA advance. I believe I need that additional division.

I am guessing that early investment in BGs for 2 division commanders was not worth the cost.

update:

I went back and checked, the cost for two early Brigadiers as division commanders was over 50,000 dollars; definitely not worth the cost in the early campaign in my opinion... back to Distress Call

Edited by BCH

20 minutes ago, BCH said:

1.25 Mod - MG level Shiloh

Not sure I can pull this off with my present army; I can only field 10,300 infantry between two Corp, 5 divisions total for 30 brigades.

Two tries have been a complete disaster; I am unable to significantly delay the CSA advance. I believe I need that additional division.

I am guessing that early investment in BGs for 2 division commanders was not worth the cost.

If you're going to buy the early BGs you really want to try and get them to MG pre Shiloh. If you can get the MGs for Shiloh it will be a big boost for all your units and should probably make things easier. To get them there you want them either deployed in corps command or assigned to rookie units who are going to get a lot of kills. I usually use artillery for my playstyle. Rookie units will gain stats faster so the officer will gain more xp.

I don't think going above AO 5 is worth it for Shiloh anymore. 18 units gives you the maximum deployment in the first phase and you probably aren't going to be able to field 48 units anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

If you're going to buy the early BGs you really want to try and get them to MG pre Shiloh. If you can get the MGs for Shiloh it will be a big boost for all your units and should probably make things easier. To get them there you want them either deployed in corps command or assigned to rookie units who are going to get a lot of kills. I usually use artillery for my playstyle. Rookie units will gain stats faster so the officer will gain more xp.

I don't think going above AO 5 is worth it for Shiloh anymore. 18 units gives you the maximum deployment in the first phase and you probably aren't going to be able to field 48 units anyways.

Interesting.. I have my early saves, I will give it a try.

23 hours ago, BCH said:

To get them there you want them either deployed in corps command or assigned to rookie units who are going to get a lot of kills. I usually use artillery for my playstyle. Rookie units will gain stats faster so the officer will gain more xp.

Rather slick way to promote BGs to MGs; I only had access to one BG this run through,  I put them in command of a 10pdr Ordinance Battery for Distress Call, and they came out of Bull Run as a Major General.

I am going to see if I can get another to MG status before Shiloh; I have River Crossing and Logan's Crossroads, which for me are artillery dominance battles.

Nice tip Panda... :)

• Like 1

1.25 Mod - Logan's Crossroads

I note that the Union can now bring 13 brigades instead of the 11 indicated in pre-battle screen. Was that part of the update, or had I just not noticed it previously?

1 hour ago, BCH said:

1.25 Mod - Logan's Crossroads

I note that the Union can now bring 13 brigades instead of the 11 indicated in pre-battle screen. Was that part of the update, or had I just not noticed it previously?

In certain cases the brigade number fixes from the Customizations mod mean that you can now bring an additional extra unit in some battles. The only way I could get all the numbers to line up in this mod would be to hard code every single deploy and reinforcement number and that just isn't likely to happen. Bringing that many units tends to drive up scaling quite a bit, so if you can get away with it feel free, but it's definitely not necessary to bring that many units either.

Hi! Thanks for all the work you've done on this mod. I have recently (yesterday) installed the newest version, and a couple of issues have arisen. Firstly, I can no longer detach skirmishers. Second, everything in-game seems to be slower: the units, the gunfire, everything. Any idea what the problem might be on my end?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Bringing that many units tends to drive up scaling quite a bit, so if you can get away with it feel free, but it's definitely not necessary to bring that many units either.

Yep.. the first time on my BG to MG test; they swarmed the Union trying to set up in the Southwest corner, and it was not pretty. The second time, the Union returned the favor; not a single CSA brigade was left on the field.

The BG was just short of a promotion to MG at the end.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, pandakraut said:

Detached skirmishers have been disabled for several versions. Perhaps you re-enabled them if you previously had 1.24 installed? 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance\ConfigFile.csv. Edit with notepad and set disableSkirmishers to false if you would like to turn them back on.

The mod is balanced around them being disabled and bringing dedicated skirmisher units armed with infantry weapons in the extra deploy slots provided. But if you'd prefer to play with them on go for it.

randomname..see above

• Like 1

6 hours ago, randomname said:

Hi! Thanks for all the work you've done on this mod. I have recently (yesterday) installed the newest version, and a couple of issues have arisen. Firstly, I can no longer detach skirmishers. Second, everything in-game seems to be slower: the units, the gunfire, everything. Any idea what the problem might be on my end?

These are both intended changes. The mod default speed is slightly less than half the speed of the normal game. This change take a bit of time to adjust to and frequent use of 2x and 3x speeds are recommended. Detached skirmishers were disabled due to the numerous exploits associated with them and extra deploy slots added so you can field dedicated skirmisher units armed with infantry weapons instead.

The game speed can be changed in ConfigFile.csv if you really don't like that modification. gameSpeed set to 5 and fastForward set to 3 to have the same speeds as the base game. File location is the same as shown in the post above that BCH quoted.

Weapon descriptions are all stored in a text file now, so more detailed descriptions can be added. If that kind of thing is anyone's specialty and you would like to offer suggestions. Let us know. Preferably nothing longer than a few sentences though.

13 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Weapon descriptions are all stored in a text file now, so more detailed descriptions can be added. If that kind of thing is anyone's specialty and you would like to offer suggestions. Let us know. Preferably nothing longer than a few sentences though.

I have some very good resources on weapons of that period.. for what type of descriptions are you looking?

1 hour ago, BCH said:

I have some very good resources on weapons of that period.. for what type of descriptions are you looking?

Would need to be similar in length to the current descriptions or the descriptions used by the base game. There really isn't room in the tooltips for more than a sentence or two.

3 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Would need to be similar in length to the current descriptions or the descriptions used by the base game. There really isn't room in the tooltips for more than a sentence or two.

I will put together a couple of samples for you to review over the weekend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCH said:

Maybe you'd be someone to ask this of then. I've been doing a lot of Civil War reading over the last few months and I need a recommendation on good books on weapons from the war. Something that gives small arms and artillery would be amazing, but anything you know of would likely be helpful. I've only just realized in the last few days that I need such a book, as I'm nearly done with my standard history tomes 😁. Websites with good info is also great if you know any. I have yet to start my search for this.