Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

2 hours ago, derekwfrazier said:

The load screen never comes up with the 1.25 mod installed over the game files that you have indicated. I see the tab for steam come up right before the games loads , but no text, just a pixelated smudge, and lots of HD access.

If the game doesn't load correctly it's usually because the configuration files are not being found. Can you confirm what operating system you are using and which launcher(steam, GOG, etc) you are using?

Hi Pandakraut, thanks for the game updates..Im on Win10 using steam. Installed the latest zip in data folder, overwrote the 2 files needed and booted. 2 large colored dots on each side of the screen then the cursor on a subsequent reboot, never goes on to see anything but black. went ahead and verified over again in steam.

thanks alot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derekwfrazier said:

Hi Pandakraut, thanks for the game updates..Im on Win10 using steam. Installed the latest zip in data folder, overwrote the 2 files needed and booted. 2 large colored dots on each side of the screen then the cursor on a subsequent reboot, never goes on to see anything but black. went ahead and verified over again in steam.

thanks alot!

Overwriting the 2 files is a good sign. Did you also update the contents of this folder? C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance

If this was your first time installing this mod then the mod folder needs to be copied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\ assuming a default steam install path.

Hello together

can me someone explain what is what in the modded artellery curves 

what number is for what standing.

(Panda: Extremgeiler Job!!!

habe die Kampagne als Konföderierter auf mittel bereits durch gespielt. Hammer Extrem gute Arbeit.

Nur der Verbrauch der munition zum ende der Kampagne wurde ein Problem.

Hatte zu viele Kanonen und zu wenig Nachschub)

Panda: Extremely god job !!! I've already played the campaign as  confederate on medium.  Extremely good work. Only the consumption of ammunition at the end of the campaign became a problem. Had too many guns and not enough supply.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sirwaldi said:

Hello together

can me someone explain what is what in the modded artellery curves 

what number is for what standing.

(Panda: Extremgeiler Job!!!

habe die Kampagne als Konföderierter auf mittel bereits durch gespielt. Hammer Extrem gute Arbeit.

Nur der Verbrauch der munition zum ende der Kampagne wurde ein Problem.

Hatte zu viele Kanonen und zu wenig Nachschub)

Panda: Extremely god job !!! I've already played the campaign as  confederate on medium.  Extremely good work. Only the consumption of ammunition at the end of the campaign became a problem. Had too many guns and not enough supply.

Vielen Dank! Es ist immer gut zu hören, dass andere Spaß damit haben. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut genug, um technische Antworten zu geben. Aber kein Problem mit Fragen auf Deutsch.

The artillery weapon curves in the mod are the same as in the normal game. The weapon curve takes the range to the targeted unit and applies multiplier to weapon damage. In the weapon tooltips for artillery I show what the multiplier is at 100 range, 1/4 range(short), 1/2 range(medium), 3/4 range(long), and at maximum range(max) or longer. This lets you see that the 10pdr parrot is more effective at max range than long range. While the 24pdr Howitzer is better at closer ranges than it is at max range. Unfortunately, I have very little space in the UI to be more precise and I can't easily support multiple languages either.

If you are running out of supply at the end of the game I would guess that you are using very large(40+gun units)? We didn't realize how much supply those would drain and are looking to come up with a fix in the next version of the mod.

Ok that with: at 100 range, 1/4 range(short), 1/2 range(medium), 3/4 range(long), and at maximum range(max) or longer i understand.

I wanna know what number of what kind off arty is the best.

In the last game all my arty is maxed out ( 50 cannons per Unit )

i have problems because i have too much arty units.

Mich interessiert es wie viele Artillerie Kanonen  pro Einheit sinn machen. Ich habe hier gelesen das 14 Kanonen das Optimum sind, deshalb wollte ich die Tabelle verstehen...

Dachte in der Tabelle sind die Anzahl der Männer und eine Zahl mit 0,9885632 dahinter für deren Effektivität.

Beispiel: wenn 10 Kanonen einer Gattung (Napoleon) 500 Schaden machen und 50 Kanonen nur 550 Schaden machen, dann macht es für mich keinen Sinn die teuren Kanonen immer bis auf 50 Stück pro Einheit aufzufüllen.

Ist irgendwo genau ersichtlich wie viele Kanonen einer Art Optimal wären???

Danke 

• Like 1

Sirwaldi,

Von was ich verstehe ist 14 am Besten, obwohl 12 auch sehr gut sind, egal welche Gattung man benutzt.  Ich stimme dir zu, dass es keinen Sinn macht, aber das sind die Tabellen.  Es ist auch gut zu wissen, dass mehrere Kanonen schwerer zu zerstören sind, auch wenn sie weniger Schaden tun.  Ich glaube, dass es dahinter ingendwo irgendeine Formel gibt.  Ich kann dir aber nicht sagen, dass ich sowas selbst von der Tabelle verstehe, sondern vom Forumlesen.

Gut zu sehen, dass Deutsche sich für den amerikanischen Bürgerkrieg interessieren.

• Like 1

Below is an example of damage vs number of cannon. The lower set of data is the result of using the base game formulas. The upper set of data is what the mod will use in 1.3 but it's not yet implemented. I assume the base game curve was supposed to apply diminishing returns, but at some point the cannon damage changed and the curve didn't get updated. This is the same for every type of cannon. 

Currently you need 45 cannon in a unit to do as much damage as 14 and you have to pay 3 times as much to resupply the unit. Jonny and I still need to come up with some kind of solution so that enough supply is available when using 50 cannon units but you don't have infinite supply when using 14 cannon units.

image.thumb.png.1b0d6c77d64e65e73d16f6456e294daa.png

I've got a bit of a problem, as the Union on Middle Difficulty I'm at chancellorville and I think I've broken the difficulty. At Shiloh I was extremely pressed but the past few major battles have been cakewalks other than Fredericks burg with my artillery and calvary just annihilating confederate troops till I'm getting minor battles done with casualties of about 500-1300 to 10,000 and individual 20 pndr parrots are racking up 10,000 kills in major battles. Is there a way to change the difficulty or do I need to restart. (And do Shiloh again....)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mosshadow95 said:

I've got a bit of a problem, as the Union on Middle Difficulty I'm at chancellorville and I think I've broken the difficulty. At Shiloh I was extremely pressed but the past few major battles have been cakewalks other than Fredericks burg with my artillery and calvary just annihilating confederate troops till I'm getting minor battles done with casualties of about 500-1300 to 10,000 and individual 20 pndr parrots are racking up 10,000 kills in major battles. Is there a way to change the difficulty or do I need to restart. (And do Shiloh again....)

It is not possible to change the difficulty mid campaign. Shiloh is going to be rather more difficult, but if you're winning with those kind of kill ratios moving up in difficulty is pretty much a necessity. There is a decent amount of advice on the battle throughout the thread and a few videos on youtube that should help as well.

Some of the balance issues are things we're looking at for 1.3 but there is no ETA for when that will be ready at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

It's definitely possible, just need to experiment some more.

Yes Panda is right

i have finished  the mossion on difficulty hard.

in my eyes the key is the arty close behind  a simply brigade, every time when the enemy will charge you the arty shoot him at close range to pieces.

and a new Information that is saving my wins on hard difficulty  ist that you only have to use 14 guns per unit ( i use 16 but NOT MORE)

with more arty units you can deal very big damage at close Range ( my favorite is the 6 Pounder for 1200 Dollar and the wiard long range 900 arty)

routing units you can also overrun slowly with cavalery

I wish good fight and more winns

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sirwaldi said:

Yes Panda is right

i have finished  the mossion on difficulty hard.

in my eyes the key is the arty close behind  a simply brigade, every time when the enemy will charge you the arty shoot him at close range to pieces.

and a new Information that is saving my wins on hard difficulty  ist that you only have to use 14 guns per unit ( i use 16 but NOT MORE)

with more arty units you can deal very big damage at close Range ( my favorite is the 6 Pounder for 1200 Dollar and the wiard long range 900 arty)

routing units you can also overrun slowly with cavalery

I wish good fight and more winns

Thanks I'm going to try it now.

Have you tried things like splitting brigades into regiments for more realistic feel of the game, like in older Sid Meier's Gettysburg?It could be really useful in small battles, like where enemy  has more units than you,or to enable things like being able to arm brigade with several different types of muskets,although it could create problem with historical battles

5 minutes ago, NikolaKaleKonj said:

Have you tried things like splitting brigades into regiments for more realistic feel of the game, like in older Sid Meier's Gettysburg?It could be really useful in small battles, like where enemy  has more units than you,or to enable things like being able to arm brigade with several different types of muskets,although it could create problem with historical battles

Mechanics wise I would say that Brigades work the same way as Regiments in this game. The really useful things from SM Gettysburg were VP based control points, roads that worked like roads and division based formations. Oh and amazing music.

@sirwaldi It worked! I beat the supply battle although it was horrible and involved much breaking of the game engine.

Come to think of it the Supply battle mission is the only one with wooden palisades that can't be crossed. Theres a few other fort battles later in the game but I suppose they found that this mission was so horribly weird fortification wise.

Edited by mosshadow95

9 minutes ago, NikolaKaleKonj said:

The surrender mod splits all AI units down into regiments. Similar to the unit splitting that can happen in this mod. Our issue with that approach is that it makes all of the units small enough that they are pretty easy to roll over.

In terms of the player units, the main issue with splitting them up more is that combining them into larger units is very limited. The combined units don't get perks and have other issues that I haven't been able to get around. Having more units is why I tend to play with smaller brigades so that I can bring as many as possible to any given battle.

6 minutes ago, mosshadow95 said:

Come to think of it the Supply battle mission is the only one with wooden palisades that can't be crossed. Theres a few other fort battles later in the game but I suppose they found that this mission was so horribly weird fortification wise.

Distress Call is one of my least favorite battles due to the way pathing works around the palisades. To many flashbacks to the horrible siege pathing in the older total war games.

Exploiting the game's rules is pretty much the starting point for the harder difficulties in my opinion. There are a few that I don't like to use(and some are disabled in the mod) but otherwise take every advantage you can get.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

The surrender mod splits all AI units down into regiments. Similar to the unit splitting that can happen in this mod. Our issue with that approach is that it makes all of the units small enough that they are pretty easy to roll over.

In terms of the player units, the main issue with splitting them up more is that combining them into larger units is very limited. The combined units don't get perks and have other issues that I haven't been able to get around. Having more units is why I tend to play with smaller brigades so that I can bring as many as possible to any given battle.

Distress Call is one of my least favorite battles due to the way pathing works around the palisades. To many flashbacks to the horrible siege pathing in the older total war games.

Exploiting the game's rules is pretty much the starting point for the harder difficulties in my opinion. There are a few that I don't like to use(and some are disabled in the mod) but otherwise take every advantage you can get.

Yeah, I'm half certain Palisade barriers and armored Trains were supposed to be part of the game outside the first missions but were cut on account of being horrible/useless. Fortifications in general tend to be less useful than trees. Especially in vanilla. Chancellorville in particular kills new players by having fence fortifications infront of trees. Thus tricking you into getting 67% cover while the enemy has 90% cover. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mosshadow95 said:

Yeah, I'm half certain Palisade barriers and armored Trains were supposed to be part of the game outside the first missions but were cut on account of being horrible/useless. Fortifications in general tend to be less useful than trees. Especially in vanilla. Chancellorville in particular kills new players by having fence fortifications infront of trees. Thus tricking you into getting 67% cover while the enemy has 90% cover. 

Part of the problem is that the damage penalties that are supposed to apply to cover currently don't. And those fortifications penalties did apply. In 1.3 the cover penalties will be there and fortifications won't have them so that might balance things out a bit.

• Like 1

RIP shiloh, 22k vs 48k. Is it possible to add a withdraw function where I can give up an area and head to the next section of the battle?

Falling back to the edge of the map and waiting for the timer to run out doesn't work all the time.

Edited by mosshadow95

43 minutes ago, mosshadow95 said:

RIP shiloh, 22k vs 48k. Is it possible to add a withdraw function where I can give up an area and head to the next section of the battle?

Falling back to the edge of the map and waiting for the timer to run out doesn't work all the time.

Is 22k including your allied units? 48k is on the low end for MG Union Shiloh, but 22k is extremely low if that's your total force. While 22k v 48k would normally be winnable, the 14k you get from the AI comes in so late you'll probably have trouble retreating in good order.

At Shiloh the map transitions basically happen when the VP's are captured. At least up to the landing VP the phases should change once the contested timer hits zero.

For Union Shiloh on higher difficulties I tend to do the following:

I can hold the first area with the church well enough with just infantry and 1 arty brigade (12 guns usually 10 pounders) then fall back in good enough order as that area opens up in later stages. I find that holding this area in first phase is mostly about holding the very south line, 1 brigade can usually hold the west side with one swinging back and forth helping either side. You got tree cover, they have to cross a creek and up a small hill.

Phase 2 with the two fields I will fall back to the back wall, abandoning both points. It will take a while before the enemy confronts me here, the timers will be mostly run down by then. They tend to hit very piecemeal and with all my brigades together they can support each other easily and inflict many casualties.

It then opens to phase 3, Hornets Nest. I pull back forces from the church to behind the nest, pull back forces from the fields to around the same area and fight delaying actions with the reinforcements.

When the Pitts Landing phase opens my troops should all be quite near it at this point and can take up good defensive positions and hold off the assault. Rotating the late reinforcements in to the front line to save as many of my men as possible.

That is roughly how I do manage to do it. This is not the prettiest strategy but it's been working. I sometimes lose the arty brigade from the church during the long withdrawal, gotta be careful about that.

I can then let them batter against me a little on the next day before using allied troops to sweep and clear the map.

Edited by Jorlaan

1 hour ago, Jorlaan said:

For Union Shiloh on higher difficulties I tend to do the following:

I can hold the first area with the church well enough with just infantry and 1 arty brigade (12 guns usually 10 pounders) then fall back in good enough order as that area opens up in later stages. I find that holding this area in first phase is mostly about holding the very south line, 1 brigade can usually hold the west side with one swinging back and forth helping either side. You got tree cover, they have to cross a creek and up a small hill.

Phase 2 with the two fields I will fall back to the back wall, abandoning both points. It will take a while before the enemy confronts me here, the timers will be mostly run down by then. They tend to hit very piecemeal and with all my brigades together they can support each other easily and inflict many casualties.

It then opens to phase 3, Hornets Nest. I pull back forces from the church to behind the nest, pull back forces from the fields to around the same area and fight delaying actions with the reinforcements.

When the Pitts Landing phase opens my troops should all be quite near it at this point and can take up good defensive positions and hold off the assault. Rotating the late reinforcements in to the front line to save as many of my men as possible.

That is roughly how I do manage to do it. This is not the prettiest strategy but it's been working. I sometimes lose the arty brigade from the church during the long withdrawal, gotta be careful about that.

I can then let them batter against me a little on the next day before using allied troops to sweep and clear the map. 

Hallo Joorlan.

Shiloh  on difficulty hard is the only fight that i could not win.

with phase 1 and  3 you are right, i try this the next time when panda Finish the mod V 1.3 

Nanesmond River a mission that dont bring enough back, you must more invest then came back

have you here some good helping informations

Thank you

Hello together,

my best cannons in UG CW in the 6 Pounder-Wiard  (Problem: i cant buy more then 2 every Main mission, and cant capture them)

on second place are the 6 Pounder-Field (Make very big damage at short and mid range, can buy 12 every Main mission, and can capture sometimes additional cannons.) 

the 12 pounder Whitworth ist very nice:  but buying  1 every Main mission is hard

the 14 pounder James has the same problem buying  1 every Main mission is possible.

Can me some tell his experience with his favorite cannons 

Thanks