Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

Well pandakraut, I'm really sorry, I did try again and again, but I can not get officers to be replaced by any juniors upon death or WIA, I have played at least three separate battles with each of the CSA campaign Brigadier General and a new MG Union Campaign. I have verified files at least twice, used only the 1.21 file you sent me, and all new restart campaigns 

I don't know what to say or do next, I really don't

I didn't realize the copy I sent you was a pre-release version which needed the dll renamed. Check your Ultimate General Civil War_data/Managed folder. From the zip file you should have an Assembly-CsharpRelease1.21.tmp file. That file needs to be renamed to Assembly-CSharp.dll for the mod to work. You will probably have to delete the existing file before you can rename it. You may need to enable displaying file extensions in your folder options to complete this step if you don't already have it on.

6 hours ago, pandakraut said:

There have been problems in the past with modded files not working with older versions of the game(steam is on 1.11). Hard to say if it's the version difference or something else with the file structure of the App Store install.

One thing you can try is downloading the GoG version and installing that instead. The steam dll has some steam specific code that fails if you don't have it installed, so it might work for you.

Wow can't believe I didn't think about trying the gog one, and you were right!  It worked perfectly! 

Thanks so much, I can't wait to give it a go, again thanks.

Well that was easy, thank you Mate. So the tmp file, is that the way to work on dll files? In one of my previous modding life, I remember creating or remodeling dll file but for the life of me, I can't remember how or what with. 

May have been Company of Heros, that was a painful game to mod

Edited by Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

11 hours ago, Pirates said:

I am having troubles in installing this mod. Ive extracted the zip files into the civil war data folder but i wasnt prompted to change the dll files and when i launch the game it the mod does not run. can some one help me?

Also can you let us know what you are running the game on? Steam, GoG, Mac, etc?

51 minutes ago, Pirates said:

I got it to work!! for the steam version you have to extract the file and then cut the contents of the mod into the data folder replacing the old files.

You should be able to extract and overwrite directly, but that method will definitely work as well. Glad you were able to resolve the issue and hope you enjoy the mod.

union shiloh is dumb. swarmed by 3k+brigades and outnumbered 3:1 gl with that. I'm sure theres some way to cheese it but I was hoping for more.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:52 PM, pandakraut said:

Here is the result of my playing up through Shiloh on MG. Video below. First half or so will hopefully be useful in terms of charge management. The AI wasn't terribly aggressive so pulling back to the hornets nest was much easier than on legendary. The battle was basically over by the time the landing opened and I got real lazy, so don't put to much stock in the second half. You can watch me suicide half a cav unit and chase routing units all over the map if you like though. My cavalry play in general was not great.
Edit: I didn't take the time, but for maximum benefit leave something alive and go to day 2 so you can kill forest as well.

On legendary I would have started with 2 more skirmishers in phase 1, but the extra cannon worked so well while I was working out deployment slots that I didn't change it. If you only care about maxing the units you get in phase 1 you can choose to only go up to 5 AO. But 6 gives you an extra unit in phase 2. I played distress call with 8 units and Bull Run with 10. Starting with 2 logistics/2 medicine would have allowed me to field a unit of whitworths, 20pdrs, and siege units but I'm not sure if it's worth what you lose in econ and training. The biggest benefit to having those cannon is that you would have enough counter battery units to easily clear out the mass of CSA artillery in the later phases. Would have saved me several hundred casualties as I ended up having to shoot them out of the woods. Still, only 4k casualties from my own units and a good chunk of them are on the skirmishers with 1842s which will be getting disbanded anyways.

The AI has muskets or terrible rifles all the way through Shiloh which makes it really easy to beat them with firepower as long as you avoid getting charged. This does mean that melee usually ends badly for me and it felt much harder to force surrenders. Oddly legendary is easier in terms of AI equipment since better rifles have lower melee values. It's much harder in terms of size, rewards, and far more 3 star units. 

@BCH Some of your earlier screenshots showed the AI with over 70k troops. That's more like what I normally see on legendary. Are your kill ratios around the same as me and @lightningg? Or are you just getting incredibly unlucky with the variance stuff?

V1.22_MGpt1.thumb.png.30d6f519a82aadea28ccd59aac1a1ee5.png

V1.22_MGpt2.thumb.png.2e64a825e2aa622a2c0c26ebdcb77402.png

prebattle says union 37.5k 78 guns vs 52k 152 guns mine is 37k 57 guns vs 61k 150 guns after wiping them out at multiple battles including bull run

Edited by fffff
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fffff said:

prebattle says union 37.5k 78 guns vs 52k 152 guns mine is 37k 57 guns vs 61k 150 guns after wiping them out at multiple battles including bull run

Is this MG or Legendary? Union Shiloh is one of the hardest battles in the mod. Finishing it on Legendary in good shape is very possible though. Since the above video was released the size of the CSA units in phase 1 have been reduced slightly and ironclad cannon will do significant damage which should make things a bit easier.

2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Is this MG or Legendary? Union Shiloh is one of the hardest battles in the mod. Finishing it on Legendary in good shape is very possible though. Since the above video was released the size of the CSA units in phase 1 have been reduced slightly and ironclad cannon will do significant damage which should make things a bit easier.

MG, i meant what's going on with the scaling if I'm bringing less men/guns yet facing significantly more? My loss screen shows I have 25k infantry/1k cav and 52 guns vs 70.5k infantry 2.6k cav and 167 guns. the vid linked has it at 26k/1k/73 vs 56k/2k/190

I'm sure it's possible to beat if you start preparing for it at Phillipi but this is a tall order when I have 100% condition high morale men manning fortifications with cannons and another line of infantry right behind them+a general aura and they get completely swamped by 3-5k veteran brigades

Edited by fffff
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, fffff said:

MG, i meant what's going on with the scaling if I'm bringing less men/guns yet facing significantly more? My loss screen shows I have 25k infantry/1k cav and 52 guns vs 70.5k infantry 2.6k cav and 167 guns. the vid linked has it at 26k/1k/73 vs 56k/2k/190

Ok, I think I understand the question better now. Scaling is a complicated topic, but the main thing at Shiloh is that both the allied units and the CSA units default to max size. Since the mod increases the scaling cap those defaults of 2950 can scale up much larger. 

Regarding the difference between the video and your numbers there are a few things you want to look at. 

1) How are your kill counts in the battles prior to Shiloh? If they are lower this can cause the AI Size to start snowballing a bit and you will end up facing more men at Shiloh.

2) Related to #1. On the battle map screen, where you select the battle, what are the intelligence reported size, training, and weapons values compared to those in the video. If they are noticeably higher but your results in #1 are similar you may have just gotten very unlucky with some of the random campaign elements. The reinforcement numbers and types as well as the battle sizing have random factors involved. This can result in facing 10-15k more men and significantly more 2-3 stars. On an older version of the mod I ran into this on  Legendary and that Shiloh attempt was probably the hardest battle I've ever played in this game.

3) Are you bringing considerably more infantry than I did in the video? I use a lot of skirmishers with 1842s since the CSA brings no skirmishers and thus the extra men don't impact scaling as much. 

6 hours ago, fffff said:

I'm sure it's possible to beat if you start preparing for it at Phillipi but this is a tall order when I have 100% condition high morale men manning fortifications with cannons and another line of infantry right behind them+a general aura and they get completely swamped by 3-5k veteran brigades

Arguably yes, you need to be preparing for Shiloh from the very first battle. Some advice to help out with those 3-5k brigades. Fortifications can still be good in the mod but the charge bonus has a very large benefit as well. If the charging unit has multiple charge perks and is higher ranked than your unit it will usually win even through fortifications. What I usually try to do is put a unit in the fortification and if they get charged I try to counter charge immediately with 1 or 2 extra brigades. This equalizes the numbers a lot if you time it right. The skirmishers with 1842s are very useful for this. The more damage you can do to those large brigades before and as they charge in the more likely they are to stop or break before they hit melee.

My entire play style is focused around avoid melee if possible. Others play very melee focused but I've never been much good at that. Hope some of the above rambling is helpful.

I killed 13.8k infantry/21 guns at Train Station, 9.7k/15 at Distress call, 15.8k/44 at Bull Run, 5.1k at River Crossing and 9.1k at Crossroads. This resulted in 42-47k Pool, 42-47% training 15-20% armory going into Shiloh which is close to the same as the video.

I replayed the battle a few times and got a victory by putting in a bunch of artillery instead of infantry. I kept the same number of brigades but this resulted in the AI having 4k less infantry and 10 less guns to the first day. Not too huge of a difference but the thing is that instead of having their max brigade size be 5.2k it was a massively reduced 3.3k as a result I was able to contain their breakthroughs at the Landing and get a day2 win.

One of my attempts used about 1k skirmishers but that didnt seem to affect the enemy army size much

edit: reading some of the previous comments this may be related to me having relatively large brigade sizes. I haven't put many points into army org so my average infantry brigades are closer to 2k men instead of the ~1k in the previously discussed video

Edited by fffff

56 minutes ago, fffff said:

I killed 13.8k infantry/21 guns at Train Station, 9.7k/15 at Distress call, 15.8k/44 at Bull Run, 5.1k at River Crossing and 9.1k at Crossroads. This resulted in 42-47k Pool, 42-47% training 15-20% armory going into Shiloh which is close to the same as the video.

Definitely sounds like you just had bad RNG then.

56 minutes ago, fffff said:

I replayed the battle a few times and got a victory by putting in a bunch of artillery instead of infantry. I kept the same number of brigades but this resulted in the AI having 4k less infantry and 10 less guns to the first day. Not too huge of a difference but the thing is that instead of having their max brigade size be 5.2k it was a massively reduced 3.3k as a result I was able to contain their breakthroughs at the Landing and get a day2 win.

Scaling can be that way sometimes. Sounds like you found a solution though.

57 minutes ago, fffff said:

edit: reading some of the previous comments this may be related to me having relatively large brigade sizes. I haven't put many points into army org so my average infantry brigades are closer to 2k men instead of the ~1k in the previously discussed video

That will definitely drive up scaling a bit. The 1k is definitely an extreme though. Many people use larger units and have had success as well.

35 minutes ago, fffff said:

Okay thank you for the quick replies, I apologize if my original post was too hostile, I had spent the previous 4 hours wiping on Shiloh lol.

No worries, you are far from the first to run straight into that wall and get frustrated :) 

The rest of the campaign should be comparatively easy though it really depends on how you build your army. As a heads up several of the allied units only battles are currently extremely difficult if not impossible to win on Legendary. MG you have a few more options but will have similar issues. Supply Raid, Battle of Salem Church, etc. Cheese them if you can. Take the draw, loss, or skip if you have to. It's on our long term list to fix.

Remember me? Well, I'm back. Been busy, but finally had time to fight through the Battle of Gettysburg. I experienced 5 or 6 CTDs during the Battle of Gettysburg, they seemed related to when reinforcements arrived, but I can't say I know how to replicate them. I eventually got through by saving every 10 minutes or so, very odd. Noticed another small issue, that capturing and holding the rebel position on the 3rd day of battle doesn't result in victory. It's not a big deal, since I can just end the battle at the start of day 4, but it was a minor annoyance. Honestly, this is likely more the fault of the developers implementing false objectives than a bug on your part.

2 hours ago, Dauntless07 said:

I experienced 5 or 6 CTDs during the Battle of Gettysburg, they seemed related to when reinforcements arrived, but I can't say I know how to replicate them.

Do you still have any of the in battle saves you made? If you do and can send them to me I can take a look and see what is causing it.

4 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Do you still have any of the in battle saves you made? If you do and can send them to me I can take a look and see what is causing it.

I don't actually, I was saving every 10 minutes or so, and almost all of the crashes happened on Day 2. A similar crash occurred in the follow-up battle of Bayou Fourche. This time, it happened after I captured a unit of skirmishers with some cavalry. Anyway, I suspect it'll probably occur in Chickamauga, so I'll follow-up with the save file if it does.