Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

5 hours ago, The Soldier said:

The thing I'm concerned about is that, if you select multiple units of artillery (and only artillery) they move at a slightly slower pace than if you moved each piece of artillery individually (which, in the case of artillery, is incredibly important).  I'm afraid something like that happens with other units, nullifying any sort of speed bonus.

The speed bonus will always apply. If you want to check it, load any save where you can apply a speed bonus to one unit but not others of the same type, enter a battle, and order them to group move. The ones with the bonus will get to the destination first. :)

Here is a video of the Bull Run test.  It is a bit more refined than the screen shot though it still could be better.  What do you think?  

FYI It is not 300k CSA vs 90k USA but 300k CSA vs 270k USA.   

Quality should be good now...

Perk values are currently edited in the assets file rather than the dll. Only the perk tooltips and names are being updated in the dll.

Finding what to edit in the assets is largely trial and error. I'll see if we can get at least a basic example posted.

7 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Perk values are currently edited in the assets file rather than the dll. Only the perk tooltips and names are being updated in the dll.

Finding what to edit in the assets is largely trial and error. I'll see if we can get at least a basic example posted.

I'd be really interested to see how that works - it looks intuitively like all the perk values are so generic as to be impossible to find (+10% experience? So that's... 10, somewhere in the file? Wonderful!) but you've clearly cracked the code somehow.

If you use a program like HxD it will translate what it can into text. So you can search for the perk names as a starting point. It's still not that easy since often you only find the technical names instead of the descriptive names. I wouldn't recommend starting with experience, there are a lot of things that have the word training in them. Strategic might be easier to find the +20% ammo. Once you've figured out what area in the hex the perk is in, there are usually a few blocks below the name that you can manipulate and then see what changed in game to figure out what is what. Things are usually somewhat in the same area as well, so once you find one finding the rest gets easier.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

If you use a program like HxD it will translate what it can into text. So you can search for the perk names as a starting point. It's still not that easy since often you only find the technical names instead of the descriptive names. I wouldn't recommend starting with experience, there are a lot of things that have the word training in them. Strategic might be easier to find the +20% ammo. Once you've figured out what area in the hex the perk is in, there are usually a few blocks below the name that you can manipulate and then see what changed in game to figure out what is what. Things are usually somewhat in the same area as well, so once you find one finding the rest gets easier.

Any chance you could post an exemple? Say how do you add the bonus speed for the horse artillery perk, since this property isn't there initially so you have to add it somehow in the code.

11 minutes ago, Gyrvendal said:

Any chance you could post an exemple?

Providing a visual example of a perk and which hex values correspond to what is something we will be working on. This is Jonny's area, but you can mix and match different perk bonuses by copying from various other perks that have the bonuses you want. There are definitely some limits but I don't know enough to comment on those in any detail.

35 minutes ago, Fkfjakfjdafja said:

I've seen most of my officers dowgraded

Was this from a new campaign or an old save? I've seen this reported before on another mod and it seems like it happens more frequently on historical battles, but I've never been able to reproduce it myself.

Okay as Union on BG: Have got up to Antietam my impressions again so far:-

From the changes you've made I deduce that Artillery isn't OP but the perks are. My Main battery only 14guns- it has done some work. 14 battles 36,000 kills. And from those battles the 5 major battles they got 22,000 kills (5500 in Shiloh :O)

The issue is I've switched the guns from Napoleons to 20pdrs and it isn't the cannons it's the accuracy and the perks that make them into beasts - I would recommend making the 50% shot/shell damage to the last perk to at least delay the ultimate cannon brigade as that's when I noticed the spike in kills rising. That said it could also be how the 150% accuracy from the commander+150% accuracy from the perks work out.

Don't get me wrong they aren't as OP as the old Whitworth's - but they are still too good in my eyes.

Enjoying the fact that skirmishers have infantry weapons - still only use 1 per corp but it's an improvement from 0

Have noticed that it certainly is harder to "wipe out" their manpower pool - I hope to see if this effects anything later on in the campaign.

• Like 1

If you're using the extra deployment slots for non-skirmishers you'll definitely see some scaling push back from that.

I would agree that the perks are the cause of the damage spikes. Combine the 150% accuracy general with the accuracy and range perks on the 1200 range guns, add a 2 star spotting sniper unit and you can win battles with only artillery units.

We're having trouble finding a balance that keeps small units dealing reasonable damage without making large units immune to damage. We recently figured out how to mod the damage drop off from unit size, so that should help.

54 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Was this from a new campaign or an old save? I've seen this reported before on another mod and it seems like it happens more frequently on historical battles, but I've never been able to reproduce it myself.

It was a recent save (after 1.10 adapted mod version).

I reinstalled the mod (i haven't read your instructions yet), refought the battle and there was no more downgrades.

Although no historical battle, I think high casualties on my army had to do with dowgrades

Thank you

Edited by Fkfjakfjdafja
I forgot final comment
  • Like 1

Officer xp is based on increases in unit stats. As far as I know unit stats only go up as more men are killed. There must be something in the post battle code that is breaking. You don't happen to have a mid battle save by any chance?

I will wait for everything to get updated, was just curious if achievements will still work in general. Not sure how it works with Steam and mods, except that I know in general achievements get disabled. But does it check for modified files to disable achievements, or is it a workshop thing, or whatever? Anyway. 

I've noticed for weapons that the text tooltip stats for fire rate is not matching what the 'Reloading' bar displays. I think it's since the 1.11 update happened. I'm not sure if I want to trust the text tooltip or the ingame bar.

Also eg Lorenz rifle on skirmishers has half of the reloading bar maxed out in the army composition screen but only 1/5 of the bar maxed out in the armory.

I figured out how to install on Mac, however, the mod doesn't seem to work. The game goes to the loading screen and just freezes. 

To navigate to the right folder, at least:

1) In Steam, right click UGCW and select Properties. 

2) Click local files, then select browse local files

3) right click 'Ultimate General Civil War' and select 'show package contents'

4) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/Resources/Data/

This is where you should copy the files from the mod release, as far as I can tell. However, as I said, upon starting the game, it freezes at the initial loading screen and won't continue loading. 

• Like 1