Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

In vanilla and the mod, career points in Training gives recruits better starting stats.

This is only true in the mod. In vanilla training only reduces veteran cost.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:02 PM, Superbobrik said:

is experience working the same way as in vanilla? Meaning do i have to destroy all my units before every battle and reassemble them to have more experience? I love roleplaying and having brigades through the campain but this does not work in vanilla 

While disbanding your units to spread out your xp can be very effective in vanilla, I'm not sure where the idea that it is required came from. I don't use it at all in my legendary playthrough, you can get more than enough XP without it

Disbanding can still be done in the mod, though as mentioned by PaulD the battles led mechanic means you are incentivized to not do it all the time. Similarly to the base game you can do just fine without doing it at all.

The mod also adds the ability to merge units by drag and dropping in camp. So you can somewhat even out XP that way as well.

Whichever way you decide to go, I hope you have fun with the mod :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

1) Obviously you can name your brigades or corps whatever you want. Is there a way to reset brigade name to display whichever officer is in command after you've changed it once? Or, once you've changed it manually, you can only change it manually.

there is currently no way to reset a unit to autoname. I've thought about adding this before, but have never gotten around to it.

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

2) I've done searches for this but haven't been able to find it - how much damage is required to affect morale changes?  Is it a flat 10% or something like that, or is it more complicated?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. By morale change do you perhaps mean the displayed morale level on units? Heroic, steady, wavering, etc? If so, those correspond to specific morale bar percentages. So for example if your morale drops below x% the unit has a corresponding descriptive name for that morale level.

I don't have the exact numbers for the thresholds on hand, but they are not consistent between thresholds. Exactly how much damage you need to push a unit to the next threshold depends on a side variety of factors that affect how much damage the unit receives and how large a morale impact that damage has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

I don't have the exact numbers for the thresholds on hand, but they are not consistent between thresholds. Exactly how much damage you need to push a unit to the next threshold depends on a side variety of factors that affect how much damage the unit receives and how large a morale impact that damage has.

Got it.  I was just wondering if there was a set percentage of losses involved.  Like, if the AI has a 4,000 INF unit, does 10% (400 killed) cause enough damage to root? So, they root, recover, and come back with 3,600, and another 10% is 360 casualties to root them again.  I know I'm using round numbers and simplifying. 

In my Shiloh narration I am trying to cover some of the reasons that the battle is such a challenge, and many people likely have built up a false sense of their forces capabilities since in every battle prior to Shiloh, the player either outnumbers or has equal forces to the AI (Distress Call, Logans, and River Crossing), or the AI forces enter the battle piece meal so the player can take them out in phases (Philippi and  1st Bull Run).  At Shiloh it is completely reversed, with the player having smaller units entering the battle in smaller groups with the AI having all of it's forces early on. Plus the AI units can be so massive (4k to 5k in some cases) that doing enough damage to make them root is a real challenge. Just stopping charges feels like a victory - those big AI units seem like they can tank forever.  Up until this battle, the player has not experienced this combination of battle conditions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulD said:

Got it.  I was just wondering if there was a set percentage of losses involved.  Like, if the AI has a 4,000 INF unit, does 10% (400 killed) cause enough damage to root? So, they root, recover, and come back with 3,600, and another 10% is 360 casualties to root them again. 

I don't think there are numbers specific enough to be useful here. It's going to vary far to much based on how fast that damage is delivered, starting morale, condition, if any of it was through flanking fire, etc. 

You've hit on a lot of the points of why Shiloh is difficult already. Usually the player units are already at a 1-2* disadvantage compared to the AI units, and 1-2k smaller in size. It is very possible to be outnumbered 5-6:1 in the first two phases, so you can only do damage while engaging a few of those units. As soon as enough of them reach your line you have to start backing up.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, PaulD said:

In my Shiloh narration I am trying to cover some of the reasons that the battle is such a challenge, and many people likely have built up a false sense of their forces capabilities since in every battle prior to Shiloh, the player either outnumbers or has equal forces to the AI (Distress Call, Logans, and River Crossing), or the AI forces enter the battle piece meal so the player can take them out in phases (Philippi and  1st Bull Run).  At Shiloh it is completely reversed, with the player having smaller units entering the battle in smaller groups with the AI having all of it's forces early on. Plus the AI units can be so massive (4k to 5k in some cases) that doing enough damage to make them root is a real challenge. Just stopping charges feels like a victory - those big AI units seem like they can tank forever.  Up until this battle, the player has not experienced this combination of battle conditions.

Another Point is that you can get focused too much on bringing the max. number of Units to this battle! If you think how many of them you can use in the decisive phases of the battle I prefer to have fewer (often smaller) but better armed new units who have a major instead of a captain as commander! I have done one try where I sent a lot of detached skirmishers on the offensive on the left side in phase one and the results were promising(whole brigades were turning to save artillery ore trying to free captured units/supply wagon and came late to the frontline action!). I'm really looking forward to see your skirmisher/cav strategy!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 9:01 PM, pandakraut said:

Makes sense overall, there is a ton of value in distracting and delaying the AI in this battle.

My normal approach is definitely heavy smoothbore batteries + my best infantry in the first phase to be able to stop charges dead and then start falling back before I get overwhelmed. Cav come in with the reinforcements to get into their rear.

Cannons, "mobile defense", delaying tactics : yep.  I'll sometimes include a cav unit in the early stages specifically to harass, distract, pick off stragglers, maybe even get a supply train ...

A tactic that works at more advanced levels is to allow & encourage the AI to attack when

• I have advantageous ground and good positioning
  • troops that can support-fire for each other
  • maintain at least one unit 'in reserve' or rested for counter attack
  • artillery well-positioned for supporting fire, concentration, and protected (not within striking distance of the AI)
  • maybe even a cav unit to deliver the coup de grace to weakened attackers. 

The F-key (Fallback) is used regularly throughout the process, tho rotating freshly-rested units into the line is the most effective way to withdraw-while-engaged. 

The AI often will mess itself up: Their multi-attacks are relentless, but it the AI also wears itself out. If you play effective Rope-A-Dope, it can be a big advantage. Resting beleaguered troops is a MUST! 

QUESTION for PandaKraut:

Is it possible to insert an [undo] feature into the Army-building part of the  "camp" session?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dixiePig said:

Is it possible to insert an [undo] feature into the Army-building part of the  "camp" session?

Not possible to add unfortunately. Have to use the save/load functionality. I did figure out how to add a confirm button for drag and drop merging at least.

• Sad 1

Thank you for the answer a couple pages back Pandakraut!  It sounds like that is the issue.

Another question for you, if you don't mind.  Where in your mod's resources.asset file are the AO settings?  Specifically, I'm looking to tweak corps and brigade limits?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OhioJack said:

Another question for you, if you don't mind.  Where in your mod's resources.asset file are the AO settings?  Specifically, I'm looking to tweak corps and brigade limits?

This is an old guide to where to change those, the hex offsets won't be valid anymore though. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zqo03letdgpkvk/AOGuide.png?dl=0

You can get to the right area by searching for the hex 33335340. You're looking for a section with multiple of that block in a row. A little below there is the AO stuff.

Note that if you're trying to change the increments of non-infantry units, those are in the dll rather than the hex. But you could change the max sizes in the config file.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:20 PM, pandakraut said:

This is an old guide to where to change those, the hex offsets won't be valid anymore though. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zqo03letdgpkvk/AOGuide.png?dl=0

You can get to the right area by searching for the hex 33335340. You're looking for a section with multiple of that block in a row. A little below there is the AO stuff.

Note that if you're trying to change the increments of non-infantry units, those are in the dll rather than the hex. But you could change the max sizes in the config file.

I am new here, what does that mean by AO setting? Is it about how many divisions a corp can have and how many people can be in a brigade and stuff like that? 

UNDO function

On 4/19/2022 at 8:39 PM, pandakraut said:

Not possible to add unfortunately. Have to use the save/load functionality. I did figure out how to add a confirm button for drag and drop merging at least.

mmmm ... It just happened again - I accidentally merged units while attempting to move a brigade from one division to another.  But I don't see any [confirm] button. arrrgh

Constant 'saves' seems to be the necessary behavior...

Thanks, PK

I really like the updated play dynamics of the mod : slower, more deliberate, supporting fire, value of 'lines', resting a stressed unit, etc.  Took a little getting-used-to, but very effective and historically valid.

• Any update on when we might have different dynamics for handling horse/mule resources for cav and artillery?
  • Related issue:  How about a Quartermaster role?  It fits well with the strategic aspects of the game.

Edited by dixiePig
clarity
  • Like 1

The confirm button for merging isn't in yet, it will be coming with the next release of the test version.

The feature set for the upcoming patch is pretty locked in a this point, so adding a horse pool will have to wait for the following version to see if it will happen. Right now we're focused on getting the union battles through Antietam updated.

Some kind of quartermaster style functionality would have to wait for a custom perk implementation. Will keep that in mind for when we get to that point.

• Like 1

Hey Panda, I created a new YouTube channel to post gaming content (Gonzo Gamer).  Philippi is up now. I know you had subscribed to my Paul D. YT ID, but I decided creating a new channel was a better idea.

• Like 1

PK> This would be a BIG help - and shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

• I often use the keyboard to initiate unit [F]allback; it's just a lot faster than mousing around.
  • Unfortunately UGCW places the Rout command on the [G] key ... which is right next to the [F] key.  What could possibly go wrong?  
  • This 'bad UI' artifact is beyond stupid.  I've often routed units when I just want them to fallback. 

Is there any simple way to move the 'rout' command to another key?  Or just disable it altogether?

On 5/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, dixiePig said:

PK> This would be a BIG help - and shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

• I often use the keyboard to initiate unit [F]allback; it's just a lot faster than mousing around.
  • Unfortunately UGCW places the Rout command on the [G] key ... which is right next to the [F] key.  What could possibly go wrong?  
  • This 'bad UI' artifact is beyond stupid.  I've often routed units when I just want them to fallback. 

Is there any simple way to move the 'rout' command to another key?  Or just disable it altogether?

This is already possible in the base game. In the main menu under options you can remap the standard controls.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, Karl0915 said:

If I want to make the max brigade size to be 1000 and max division to be 8, which number should I change?

That unfortunately involves hex editing. An example from the base game is linked https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zqo03letdgpkvk/AOGuide.png?dl=0 

The offsets will be different in the mods asset file since we've recompiled it to make sprite changes.

Looking for some advice on Gettysburg Day 1 Union on MG.

I can delay the advance long enough to get my first division in position to hold both VPs on the ridge, but they just keep getting whittled down by heavy artillery and then charged to death. I'm barely hanging on as each wave of reinforcements comes in.

Any advice on how to handle? Any tricks?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Pandakraut for the AO info!  That really helped me tweak the mod for my play style.  I've run into another thing though as I'm digging around.  Do you happen to know how the timers are setup in the game?  Is it based on seconds, 20 ticks / second or something else? 

• Like 1

I have a few questions:
Is it possible to give Charge a higher percentage of speed than running?
Is it possible to adjust the speed of the cavalry?
What does spriteSpeedMultiplier mean?

I'm from China, and I like this mod very much. I have localized the weapon description part in this mod to share happiness, I hope to get your permission before sharing.

• Like 1