Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

On 3/18/2021 at 11:31 PM, pandakraut said:

- Cavalry and skirmishers can now use the run key to turn skirmish mode on and off.

If the answer to this is buried somewhere in this thread, then apologies.....

....but I've been trying to understand what the impact of skirmish mode being off is..... how does it affect unit behaviour?

17 hours ago, parmenio said:

If the answer to this is buried somewhere in this thread, then apologies.....

....but I've been trying to understand what the impact of skirmish mode being off is..... how does it affect unit behaviour?

So skirmish mode is the default behavior that cavalry and skirmishers use. For skirmishers it basically is a check that if the unit is reloading and has equal or less range than the unit it is firing at, it will fall back. Once it's finished reloading it will move forward again to shoot. 

Cavalry will do this and also retreat away from nearby units to say out of range if they don't have a move or attack order.

Many players get frustrated by this logic since they want their units to 'stand still and shoot' but they don't want to keep putting units on hold position. So now the player can turn that bit of logic off.

3 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Many players get frustrated by this logic since they want their units to 'stand still and shoot' but they don't want to keep putting units on hold position. So now the player can turn that bit of logic off.

🙂 Thanks for that... I'd found a few comments complaining about it on Steam so that helps.

Just returned after giving Adishee's submod a trial.  He's pursuing some intriguing concepts - interesting work in progress ...

Have now downloaded v.1.27.3d and scanned the notes. Looks like some interesting stuff.  Especially like your use of the opening splash to announce updates.

But a question:  It appears that I cannot SAVE mid-battle.  Is this an artifact, a feature, Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, dixiePig said:

It appears that I cannot SAVE mid-battle.  Is this an artifact, a feature, Did I miss something?

Saving is disabled in the first phase of the CSA tutorial battle. It should be working as normal anywhere else. If it's not please let me know where there is an issue.

15 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Saving is disabled in the first phase of the CSA tutorial battle.

Gotcha.  Perhaps include that info somewhere in the intro? - as it is a) new, b) non-standard and c) unexpected

Can I also ask ... why? I would assume that tutorial battle is one time when player is entirely likely to want to pause&save.

Playing v.12.73d on MG and enjoying it:  'Spoils of War" does not appear to be as punitive as before (BIG improvement), enemy is feisty, but not overwhelming. I've also capped  across-the-board unit sizes at more-or-less 'historic' levels, which is how I like to play.

Nice improvements!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dixiePig said:

Can I also ask ... why? I would assume that tutorial battle is one time when player is entirely likely to want to pause&save.

It blocks an exploit that is only available in that first phase which I have not found another way to fix. The phase is so short that I didn't think anyone would ever bother saving during it, but apparently people frequently do as you are not the only one who has run into it.

I'll look into adding a tooltip to explain why it is temporarily disabled.

Edited by pandakraut

Not excactly a Question about the Mod..but as i play with it maybe it belongs here.

I saw weapons have different rangeeffevectiveness. How can i determine which weapon is better than another? and what does it excactly say? Should i walk a Unit which is most effective on short range close up? 

How can i determine if i'm in short, long medium range?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Geralt said:

Not excactly a Question about the Mod..but as i play with it maybe it belongs here.

I saw weapons have different rangeeffevectiveness. How can i determine which weapon is better than another? and what does it excactly say? Should i walk a Unit which is most effective on short range close up? 

How can i determine if i'm in short, long medium range?

Short medium and long correspond to 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 of the weapons listed range.

I roughly evaluate weapons by comparing the damage range and the range effectiveness %. If you want to get more detailed I multiply the % by the average damage. 

In general moving closer will always get you more damage though there are a couple exceptions. Whether doing so is a good choice depends a lot on the battlefield situation. Because of this when I'm doing a quick compare I only tend to look at the maximum range percentage for non-artillery weapons.

You can find graphs to help visual this here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E5ZFCAHEY8EyBkEkWIHOfdFlwaYpSDVA00w9a71jq1c/edit?usp=sharing

ok nice, thank you! I just watched your union campaign with 1.24/1.25 and found some differences..specially weaponwise. Are there some that got removed? Like the Percision Musket? or did you use other mods too?

also saw you are using specially in the beginning Lt col as division leaders, i tried this - but this gives me massive efficiency and command hits, was there also something changed?

btw really nice mod!

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

ok nice, thank you! I just watched your union campaign with 1.24/1.25 and found some differences..specially weaponwise. Are there some that got removed? Like the Percision Musket? or did you use other mods too?

also saw you are using specially in the beginning Lt col as division leaders, i tried this - but this gives me massive efficiency and command hits, was there also something changed?

btw really nice mod!

There have been quite a few changes since I made those videos. Many of them to specifically address problem points I found while playing. I basically stopped that campaign because things had become trivially easy.

The general setups in those videos, and a lot of the basics still mostly apply, but the finer details won't be the same. Officers is a big one here, as division commanders now give a higher percentage of command to the unit and the battles led mechanic has been added so that there are benefits for keeping an officer with the same unit. So in most cases you want a high rank officer in command of the division and use the lower ranking officers for the brigades. Though it can still be useful to put a high rank officer on a brigade if it helps get access to a perk.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing again recently and was trying to play with the two scaling numbers in the AIconfig file. I have moved them up and down but nothing seems to change. Do they only take effect on a new campaign or maybe after I play a battle?

3 hours ago, Jorlaan said:

I have been playing again recently and was trying to play with the two scaling numbers in the AIconfig file. I have moved them up and down but nothing seems to change. Do they only take effect on a new campaign or maybe after I play a battle?

For changes to take affect, you need to save the file, restart the game, and start the battle. On the deployment screen you should see the changes taking affect. If you're still having trouble with these steps, let me know which values you are changing.

I am changing the AIscalingSizeMultiplier and AIscalingExperienceMultiplier. I was watching some Fisasco games and he set these to .85 down from 1 for his current campaign and I thought maybe this would help me past the brick wall of Shiloh. I'm just really done with this battle.

However after saving and exiting, changing those two things down to .75 because I just wanna be done with it, save and exit the file, load it back up and the enemy numbers and experience have not changed.

I'm definitely changing the aiconfig file in the Rebalance mod folder. I've only got the one mod. Checking just now they even have 1000 more men than last time.

Admittedly I am using a slightly older version of the mod. Might that be a problem? I might actually update to the newest version and try again. Looking at changes it seems a good amount has changed.

Edited by Jorlaan

10 hours ago, Jorlaan said:

Admittedly I am using a slightly older version of the mod. Might that be a problem? I might actually update to the newest version and try again. Looking at changes it seems a good amount has changed.

These values should work regardless. Though in 1.27.3 the file extension was changed from .csv to .txt. I would recommend setting the values to 0 to test if you're in the right file. Files are currently located in Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance in case you have a much older version where the path was different.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

These values should work regardless. Though in 1.27.3 the file extension was changed from .csv to .txt. I would recommend setting the values to 0 to test if you're in the right file. Files are currently located in Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance in case you have a much older version where the path was different.

That's the file I was changing. It didn't do anything time after time.

I have actually updated to the new version and have made the change in the new file to test. I think it's working, I loaded the battle and they seem to be smaller I think. Most enemy units are now ? until I get MUCH closer than before though, is this intended to make recon more important or maybe a glitch of me using an older save upconverted? If it's the former then I can get behind that, recon was something I largely ignored early before. It has its uses but other things seem more important early.

TBH I am considering a whole new campaign anyways with this new patch. Many little things have changed.

Well I don't know what what up before but with a clear out of the old files and upgrading to the new version it's all working properly.

I think I can salvage this campaign, my recon is now higher thanks to Shiloh points and I'll have enough to do what I need for Gaines Mill. I start campaigns that end at Shiloh so often, now that I'm past it I don't wanna start again. Turned things down to .8 for Shiloh and back up to 1 after. We'll see how it goes, it's only MJ but hard enough for me it seems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post this for a while but I've been enjoying the game too much. This is a fantastic mod - comparing the vanilla game with the mod I can see lots of hard work has gone into it.

This game has been a real joy to play. I bought Gettysburg but didn't get on with it and on that basis and the numerous complaints about AI scaling I didn't bother with this for a long while. I'm not much interested in Age of Sail but I'm going to buy it; Dreadnoughts is of more interest as that is the only period of Naval Warfare I've ever shown any interest in and I'll happily purchase the American Revolution when that comes out.

I haven't played much of the campaign side of this to-date. I'm a real ignoramus when it comes to the ACW. I bought Take Command for the Napoleonic mod and I bought SOW hoping that it would eventually lead to a Napoleonic game which it did. So I've spent the time playing the custom and historic battles (and also adding my own mod code on top of yours but I'll post some info on a separate thread on that).

A couple of things I've noticed. The first is having turned on enableAIMoraleDisplay I observed that this also gets displayed for the player side (screenshot attached - UGCW-enableAIMoraleDisplay.png). I tracked this down to the Update() method in UnitHud.cs:

if (this.unit.side != RuntimeVars.playerSide && Methods.HideHud(this.unit))
{
    this.hpText.text = "?";
}
if (Rebalance.Config.GameSettings.enableAIMoraleDisplay)
{
    Text text = this.hpText;
    text.text = text.text + " " + Math.Round((double)this.unit.morale, 3);
}

I've amended this code to be part of the check for the non-player side (0-100 as well but that's just personal choice):

if (this.unit.side != RuntimeVars.playerSide)
{
    if (Rebalance.Methods.HideHud(this.unit))
    {
        this.hpText.text = "?";
    }
    else if (Rebalance.Config.GameSettings.enableAIMoraleDisplay)
    {
        Text text = this.hpText;
        text.text = text.text + " " + Convert.ToInt32(this.unit.morale * 100).ToString();
    }
}

The second thing was the displayed arcs for artillery units which I only got round to looking at this morning. I've attached three screenshots (UGCW-All-Arcs.png, UGCW-CanisterAndShot.png, UGCW-CanisterOnly.png). CanisterOnly is fine but there is reduction in the displayed range for CanisterAndShot from all arcs to the CanisterAndShot only display. I think this is because the range modifier is being applied twice; once in the CalcEffectiveRange() method in UnitModel.cs

private float CalcEffectiveRange()
{
    float num = (this.weapon.effectiveRange + this.skillData.effectiveRange) * MonoBehaviourSingleton<UnitPreference>.instance.firearmsRangeDependency.Evaluate(this.actualData.firearms);
    if (this.CanisterOnly)
    {
        num = Methods.GetCanisterRange();
    }
    if (this.CanisterAndShell)
    {
        num *= MonoBehaviourSingleton<UnitPreference>.instance.specialModifiers.shellShotEffectiveRangeModifier;
    }
    return num;
}

and the second time in the UpdateArc() method in UnitView.cs:

if (this.data.CanisterOnly)
{
    effectiveRange = Methods.GetCanisterRange();
    this.lines.Reserve(((!this.isGeneral) ? 500 : 400) * 12);
}
if (this.data.CanisterAndShell)
{
    effectiveRange *= MonoBehaviourSingleton<UnitPreference>.instance.specialModifiers.shellShotEffectiveRangeModifier;
    this.lines.Reserve(((!this.isGeneral) ? 500 : 400) * 12);
}

CanisterOnly isn't affected because it's a fixed value overwriting effectiveRange but the CanisterAndShell arc ends up shorter than it should be. I changed this in UpdateArc() to:

if (kind == EUnitKind.Artillery)
{
    this.lines.Reserve(6000);
}

Thanks again for a great mod!

UGCW-enableAIMoraleDisplay.png

UGCW-All-Arcs.png

UGCW-CanisterAndShot.png

UGCW-CanisterOnly.png

Edited by parmenio
Code block layout
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, parmenio said:

A couple of things I've noticed. The first is having turned on enableAIMoraleDisplay I observed that this also gets displayed for the player side (screenshot attached - UGCW-enableAIMoraleDisplay.png).

Yes, this is just a debug option that was added for testing the shatter/surrender at 0 morale system, so it just generically applies to all units despite the variable name. It provides far too much information on enemy units without an investment in recon in my opinion, though the next version will be implementing a more limited form of it.

5 hours ago, parmenio said:

I think this is because the range modifier is being applied twice; once in the CalcEffectiveRange() method in UnitModel.cs

A tester noticed this the other day and I came to the same conclusion. It'll be fixed in the next patch.

Thanks for the bug reports and glad to hear you're enjoying the mod :)

Hi  Pandakraut,

I'm  fixing to start a new campaign with this latest update to this mod and I have used an earlier version and also used  the UI mod 8.0 in the past. I finished the union on legendary but CSA I kind of gave up i did make it to Washington did pretty good the first day and went down hill afterward got impatient I guess but in starting out with this new Mod Version what 3  perks do you suggest I start with on the CSA side and Union side. I have an idea what I will use for the union but it might not work as good with this mod cause in the past i always used a lot of training for the union side but again the new mod might affect my choices for the union. And thanks for any insight you have.      

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, The Shadow Knows said:

Hi  Pandakraut,

I'm  fixing to start a new campaign with this latest update to this mod and I have used an earlier version and also used  the UI mod 8.0 in the past. I finished the union on legendary but CSA I kind of gave up i did make it to Washington did pretty good the first day and went down hill afterward got impatient I guess but in starting out with this new Mod Version what 3  perks do you suggest I start with on the CSA side and Union side. I have an idea what I will use for the union but it might not work as good with this mod cause in the past i always used a lot of training for the union side but again the new mod might affect my choices for the union. And thanks for any insight you have.      

Sorry for the delay in responding. Training starts are very strong at at the moment so you can't really go wrong there. The setup I've been experimenting with lately is starting with 2 medicine, 2 logistics, 4 trainining, and 2 AO.

This is a combined release since a critical bug fix solution was found after 1.27.4 was released through the discord. Detailed patch notes can be found below.

1.27.4.1 Changes:
AI Changes
- Other than cavalry, AI units will no longer try to charge generals.
- Improve AI chain charge logic to check for nearby units that are charging or in melee.
- Reinforcing AI artillery should now be slightly less likely to walk into an ambush if they can see your units.

Balance Changes
- Speed bonus from running no longer applies when a unit is exhausted.
- Detached skirmishers now have reduced morale regeneration when not near an allied artillery, cavalry, skirmisher, or infantry unit.
- 24pdr now categorized as a heavy cannon which reduces its speed.

Bug Fixes
- Wounded officers will no longer be lost when saving and loading in battle. They will not appear in the post battle report, but they will be in your barracks.

1.27.4 Changes:
Balance Changes
- Colt Carbine damage reduced slightly.
- Musketry drills and zuoaves bonuses for skirmishers brought in line with other equivalent perks.
- Ammunition resupply cost reduced for very large infantry units.
- Volley Length reduced for very large infantry units.
- AO unit max sizes reworked. All units will have smaller max sizes until higher AO levels.

UI Changes(thanks to TheSoldier for contributing the icon and name updates)
- Various perks have received new icons.
- Various perks have received new names.
- Added tooltip for saving being disabled in the first phase of the CSA tutorial battle.
- Enemy units now display morale when close enough to display hp.

Bug Fixes
- Turning skirmish mode on and off for skirmishers and cavalry will now only affect the selected unit.
- Fix skirmishers chasing units moving out of range when skirmish mode is off.
- Fix melee cav not moving into melee when charge is on cooldown.
- Fix for shell range when unit is set to canister and shell only.
- Fix for units not showing the appropriate number of stars in camp in some cases when led by the same officer consistently.
- Fix resupply between days cost.
- Fix number of guns display for very large artillery units.
- Prevent cavalry from mounting in fortifications.

Configuration Changes
- Recovery rate of enemy unit's weapons can now be change using the AIConfigFile value weaponRecoveryPercentage. When set to 0 the default rates are used.

Congrats for your excellent job with this mod.

I started a legendary campaign with the Confederation and at Fredericksburg achieved a brutal victory.

Manage of perks is key in your mod with specialized units. Accuracy with the infantry, proper use of artillery ranges, ending routing units and destroying enemy artillery with the cavalry and reconnaissance/flanking operations with the skirmishers.

Thanks a lot, this mod is cool. 😄😘

Fredericksburg.JPG

Edited by JJMagno