Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

4 hours ago, Jorlaan said:

Maybe you'd be someone to ask this of then. I've been doing a lot of Civil War reading over the last few months and I need a recommendation on good books on weapons from the war. Something that gives small arms and artillery would be amazing, but anything you know of would likely be helpful. I've only just realized in the last few days that I need such a book, as I'm nearly done with my standard history tomes 😁. Websites with good info is also great if you know any. I have yet to start my search for this.

I will put together a short bibliography for you and others over the week end.

Actually, here is a place to start...

http://www.civilwar.com/history/weapons-44543/small-arms-94493.html

Edited by BCH
add'l text
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, pandakraut said:
1.25.1 Changes:
Timer Changes
- Adjusted reinforcement timers at Union Gaines Mill and Malvern Hill.
- Union Shiloh timers reduced slightly.

should that show up on the opening screen as 1.25.1 ?

Something a bit odd about 1.25.1

Union kill rates for the River Crossing seem exceptionally high, at only 2:38 on the timer I have a Union skirmisher unit with 438 kills and only 9 deaths; another skirmisher unit 311 kills 5 deaths; a cavalry unit 145 kills 24 deaths. The starting strength of those units were 500, 200, 250 respectively; armed with SF1855, Sharps1859 rifle, SharpsM1859 carbine.

This is playing on the MG level

Yep.. really odd.. one volley from that skirmisher unit with the SF1855 had 233 additional kills. Immediately routed the over 1,000 man CSA brigade.

Sort of thinking you all don't intend that to be a feature...

AI does not have the same advantage, if that helps in trouble shooting.

Artillery rate of kill seems normal.

. tough to tell with the Union Infantry wiping out brigades in two volleys

only lost 48 infantry to the AI loss of 7,151

I will check back tomorrow..

Edited by BCH

1.25.1a Mod - River Crossing

Playing as the Union.

Took about twice the normal casualties as compared to 1.25.. Bad luck or did something else kick in with 1.25.1a?

Something else I noticed.. several times Union brigades stood and took several volleys from CSA skirmishers without returning fire; I had to manually direct the Union brigade to fire back. In each case the Union brigade had the CSA skirmishers within range, as in they never moved to engage the skirmishers. It could be that the skirmishers had a reload bonus, but it seemed unusual.

I  will watch carefully on Logan's Crossroads and post if I observe it happening again.

21 minutes ago, BCH said:

Something else I noticed.. several times Union brigades stood and took several volleys from CSA skirmishers without returning fire; I had to manually direct the Union brigade to fire back. In each case the Union brigade had the CSA skirmishers within range, as in they never moved to engage the skirmishers. It could be that the skirmishers had a reload bonus, but it seemed unusual.

Not sure, haven't noticed anything like that.

3 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Not sure, haven't noticed anything like that.

Well it (brigades not returning fire) certainly did not happen at Logan's Crossroads...

and the battle sort of made up for the heavier than usual Union losses at the River Crossing.

Union                                       vs                                  CSA
Inf.            5,750                      vs                             11,624
Cav              250                      vs                                   453
Art            1,176/48 guns      vs                                   662/27 guns

Losses

Inf                  57                      vs                                 9,221
Cav                57                      vs                                      91
Art                   0                       vs                                   529/21
Missing          0                       vs                                    518

CSA cavalry charged the Union skirmisher brigade in the Southeastern woods; the bad news for the CSA cavalry, Union cavalry was immediately behind the Union skirmishers. The Union cavalry counter-charged; at the same time another Union skirmisher unit armed with Sharps riles came within range of the CSA cavalry rear. The CSA cavalry surrendered.  Union cavalry spotted and quickly seized a full CSA supply wagon.

With no CSA cavalry to spot and protect the CSA left flank; CSA batteries were wiped out. CSA brigades were spotted and flanked by the two Union skirmisher brigades and Union cavalry.

The Union batteries did the work.

I find the loss of only 114 total for the Union to be extraordinary. Not sure I ever had a battle that lopsided before this.

• Like 1

1.25.1a Mod - Shiloh - First Phase - MG level

I believe the reduction in artillery damage by 40% (introduced in 1.25) has made the first phase of Shiloh even more difficult. Additionally the damage increase for increased brigade size benefits the AI more with the 2,000 to 3,000+ man brigades they bring to Shiloh.

I was able to delay capture of Shiloh Church until well after the Union Reinforcements; but that seems to have been to my detriment. CSA AI forces simply pressed onward to the Northeast corner despite being routed time after time. The no star brigades sent to delay the CSA advance simply folded under the overwhelming numbers and fire power of the CSA AI

I also ran out of artillery ammunition rather quickly despite having 3 in logistics; supply was at 50,000, but of course no supply wagons in phase I of Shiloh.

Back to redoing the start of Shiloh....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BCH said:

I was able to delay capture of Shiloh Church until well after the Union Reinforcements; but that seems to have been to my detriment. CSA AI forces simply pressed onward to the Northeast corner despite being routed time after time. The no star brigades sent to delay the CSA advance simply folded under the overwhelming numbers and fire power of the CSA AI

Choosing the right time to fall back is very important in that battle. It's very easy to overstay your welcome and get overwhelmed. You can see in my video of the battle that I only hold in front of the church for a brief period before falling back.

41 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Choosing the right time to fall back is very important in that battle. It's very easy to overstay your welcome and get overwhelmed. You can see in my video of the battle that I only hold in front of the church for a brief period before falling back.

Yep..  watched your video several times.. I need to pull back sooner, as I can not rely on artillery in that phase to counter balance the numbers on the AI side.

Not very optimistic about Shiloh..

Skirmishers that previously could delay and harass the CSA incoming brigades are now either being destroyed or captured very quickly even with making a withdrawal. Basically they do not delay the initial advance at all.

I am going to keep trying different army arrangements and field deployments of course.. but it seems to me that the AI is now much more deadly with the very large brigades.

Gentlemen one quesion .... I downloaded the latest version of the mod, but I am having issues with my Norton 360 saying the assembly file is not safe and removing it. Have you or anyone had this issue?

19 minutes ago, i64man said:

Gentlemen one quesion .... I downloaded the latest version of the mod, but I am having issues with my Norton 360 saying the assembly file is not safe and removing it. Have you or anyone had this issue?

Someone else reported this as well. It's a false alarm. Norton is reporting the dll based on that it was created recently and that a very small percentage of norton's users have a similar file. 

20 minutes ago, i64man said:

Yes, just tell Norton to restore the file.

Panda..

Just reviewed your camp strategy (on YouTube) pre-Shiloh; very interesting and I am trying it out.. much more limited funds than you had at your disposal though.

Do you employ that strategy on all your battles?

Do the CSA AI cavalry just run random patterns on the Shiloh Church phase?

They seem to have all the luck finding my Union cavalry, even when it is stationary and not spotted; no matter where I place them, they quickly find and engage.

2 hours ago, BCH said:

Do the CSA AI cavalry just run random patterns on the Shiloh Church phase?

They seem to have all the luck finding my Union cavalry, even when it is stationary and not spotted; no matter where I place them, they quickly find and engage.

Sometimes the AI knows where you are with its cav, other times it wouldn't notice if your cav was shooting it in the face.

2 hours ago, BCH said:

Just reviewed your camp strategy (on YouTube) pre-Shiloh; very interesting and I am trying it out.. much more limited funds than you had at your disposal though.

Do you employ that strategy on all your battles?

To some extent though it varies by battle. My videos on the battles leading up to Shiloh on v1.24 are still fairly relevant in terms of how to get through the battles with minimal casualties at least. Officer assignment has changed a bit with the xp changes.

• Like 1