Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

Here is what I do for Shiloh on MG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWu7RP5E5c

For Nanesmond River the key is having good enough snipers and counterbattery that you can spot the artillery in the fort and destroy it before advancing with infantry.

Stockpiling artillery across multiple grand battles is the key to being able to field the best cannon. Eventually my artillery units use 24pdrs for close in work and any artillery with 1000 range for counterbattery(siege and 20pdrs being preferred).

43 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Here is what I do for Shiloh on MG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWu7RP5E5c

For Nanesmond River the key is having good enough snipers and counterbattery that you can spot the artillery in the fort and destroy it before advancing with infantry.

Stockpiling artillery across multiple grand battles is the key to being able to field the best cannon. Eventually my artillery units use 24pdrs for close in work and any artillery with 1000 range for counterbattery(siege and 20pdrs being preferred).

OK i try the counterbattery

the fight on Shiloh is awesome, great micro and tactic

Die Arbeit mit den kleinen aber sehr vielen Einheiten zahlt sich aus,  bei mir war und ist alles viel grösser aber auch anfälliger wird mir gerade bewusst.

Danke für das Video

5 minutes ago, sirwaldi said:

the fight on Shiloh is awesome, great micro and tactic

Die Arbeit mit den kleinen aber sehr vielen Einheiten zahlt sich aus,  bei mir war und ist alles viel grösser aber auch anfälliger wird mir gerade bewusst.

Danke für das Video

If you aren't used to playing with units that small it may be better to go with units sized at 1100 - 1300. This lets you take more casualties before the unit becomes ineffective. At Shiloh more units get deployed earlier the more units you bring, so I prefer to bring as many as possible. This also lets me bring multiple artillery units in the first phase which helps a lot with reducing the size of the attacking units.

I think the main issue is that during the previous battles I won, I used up too many of my own troops by only having 1:2 kill ratio. 

Also You are far better at spending your money than I am. I entered Shiloh with 11 brigades !

3 Hours: Welp there goes my entire army! I think that to win Shiloh I need to restart the campaign and play all the previous missions focused on building a numerically large army. I probably wasted too much getting veterans or trying to keep my elite 2 star brigade stocked with M1861's. I probably need to make my artillery more mobile too. Although that kinda bugs me because I know that afterwards there are very few missions that involve withdrawing gradually.

Edited by mosshadow95
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 11:29 AM, mosshadow95 said:

3 Hours: Welp there goes my entire army! I think that to win Shiloh I need to restart the campaign and play all the previous missions focused on building a numerically large army. I probably wasted too much getting veterans or trying to keep my elite 2 star brigade stocked with M1861's. I probably need to make my artillery more mobile too. Although that kinda bugs me because I know that afterwards there are very few missions that involve withdrawing gradually.

Making the artillery more mobile isn't necessarily required. Giving them the accuracy perks makes them significantly more effective, but means you have to buy them more time to withdraw. Lots of cheap max sized skirmisher units is my solution for buying time at Shiloh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mosshadow95 said:

I was wondering on Hard difficulty how do you guys win Bull Run? Normally I just stop at the first hill and just hold it against counterattacks.

Which side? Union I ignore Matthew's Hill and combine my forces near the middle ford and push from there. It's extremely important to reach the river with decent condition and preferably not cross it under fire. In most cases you want to be holding the VP before the reinforcements arrive or you'll be in trouble.

CSA I hold the bridge until I start to get flanked from the north and then pull back and defend at the river. I don't try to defend Matthew's Hill at all. Holding the western edge of the river can be tricky with the tiny Virginia brigades. You can pull back to the treeline along the Henry Hill VP instead of trying to hold the river though I've only seen other people use that one.

7 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Which side? Union I ignore Matthew's Hill and combine my forces near the middle ford and push from there. It's extremely important to reach the river with decent condition and preferably not cross it under fire. In most cases you want to be holding the VP before the reinforcements arrive or you'll be in trouble.

CSA I hold the bridge until I start to get flanked from the north and then pull back and defend at the river. I don't try to defend Matthew's Hill at all. Holding the western edge of the river can be tricky with the tiny Virginia brigades. You can pull back to the treeline along the Henry Hill VP instead of trying to hold the river though I've only seen other people use that one.

Union side usually.

56 minutes ago, mosshadow95 said:

Union side usually.

To elaborate a bit more. I send the starting units to the ford north of the bridge and setup my infantry and artillery in view. Usually clay's dragons come over and get themselves killed. Then I push up the artillery to just outside of rifle range and let them work on the unit defending the ford. 

I bring in 2 melee cav units with my first wave of reinforcements. They go straight south and then go into the field below Matthew's Hill. If an artillery unit doesn't have the speed perk you can catch it in the open and kill it if you get the timing right. I then cross the river and wait for the supply unit to spawn before crossing back. Don't cross the river to the north as you'll trigger the phase early. 

Rest of my troops cross the northern river and then move east towards the northern ford. They link up with the scouts, rest a little bit and then push south. Later reinforcements move towards Matthew's Hill. As the initial units move south the CSA units on Matthew's Hill move to attack them and I setup in the small houses/fields/trees in the area. If I can get them to rout in a favorable direction I use my cav to annihilate a unit or two.

Clear the units by the bridge while pressing in from all sides. Preferably get units to retreat from the edge of the river while resting to nearly full with other units and moving up artillery. Once the crossing can be made uncontested move across in force. This is the most dangerous point as you will likely be charged and if melee occurs in the woods or in the water you will be exhausted and have a hard time making it to the VP. If you do have to cross under fire have units finish reloading and hold fire while crossing. You will lose a ton of stamina if you walk across the river while reloading.

Your cav and any snipers can swing around to the south and harass the enemy artillery or at least make it keep rotating until your infantry can get to it. 2nd supply wagon can be captured at this time as well. Once you have the Henry Hill VP setup an arc along the forest and wheat fields. Make sure to have double lines around the VP and get all your artillery up so that you can hold the wave of reinforcements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

To elaborate a bit more. I send the starting units to the ford north of the bridge and setup my infantry and artillery in view. Usually clay's dragons come over and get themselves killed. Then I push up the artillery to just outside of rifle range and let them work on the unit defending the ford. 

I bring in 2 melee cav units with my first wave of reinforcements. They go straight south and then go into the field below Matthew's Hill. If an artillery unit doesn't have the speed perk you can catch it in the open and kill it if you get the timing right. I then cross the river and wait for the supply unit to spawn before crossing back. Don't cross the river to the north as you'll trigger the phase early. 

Rest of my troops cross the northern river and then move east towards the northern ford. They link up with the scouts, rest a little bit and then push south. Later reinforcements move towards Matthew's Hill. As the initial units move south the CSA units on Matthew's Hill move to attack them and I setup in the small houses/fields/trees in the area. If I can get them to rout in a favorable direction I use my cav to annihilate a unit or two.

Clear the units by the bridge while pressing in from all sides. Preferably get units to retreat from the edge of the river while resting to nearly full with other units and moving up artillery. Once the crossing can be made uncontested move across in force. This is the most dangerous point as you will likely be charged and if melee occurs in the woods or in the water you will be exhausted and have a hard time making it to the VP. If you do have to cross under fire have units finish reloading and hold fire while crossing. You will lose a ton of stamina if you walk across the river while reloading.

Your cav and any snipers can swing around to the south and harass the enemy artillery or at least make it keep rotating until your infantry can get to it. 2nd supply wagon can be captured at this time as well. Once you have the Henry Hill VP setup an arc along the forest and wheat fields. Make sure to have double lines around the VP and get all your artillery up so that you can hold the wave of reinforcements.

How do you afford two units of calvary though?

10 minutes ago, mosshadow95 said:

How do you afford two units of calvary though?

I spend most of my money post Phillipi creating them to use them at Distress Call. Sizing is around 250-300? I think I expand them to 300-350 for Bull Run. I used to disband Loomis to create them so they started at 2* but if I'm remembering right with the increased rewards post Phillipi it is now prohibitively expensive to clear out the recruit pool.

Here are the results of the last time I played through it on MG though it's on a slightly older version: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25749-j-p-rebalance-mod-by-jonnyh13-and-pandakraut-11219-hotfix/?page=24&tab=comments#comment-577074

• Like 1

My first division after Gaine's mill. 52k vs 22k. I barely won by capping a point during the last 7 minutes. The army held out very well and shattered dozens of enemy units but then Jackson's units came with 3 fresh 2k units while all my guys were down to 400s and they just collapsed and shattered all my carefully managed starting units. I ended up ramming all my reinforcements straight into the enemy to stabilize the line and hold out for the last 2 hrs.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

i´d like to try out your mod very much, but how can i get it? The download link on the first page still doesn´t work. 

Same pages earlier there was mentioned that one can get the necessary files via dropbox, but on account of my own dullness i didn´t find any link to it.

I would very much appreciate any kind of help from you guys.

Thanks a lot

6 hours ago, hncam said:

Hi everybody,

i´d like to try out your mod very much, but how can i get it? The download link on the first page still doesn´t work. 

Same pages earlier there was mentioned that one can get the necessary files via dropbox, but on account of my own dullness i didn´t find any link to it.

I would very much appreciate any kind of help from you guys.

Thanks a lot

Links should be working currently. Are you logged into a forum account? Being logged in is required for downloading any hosted files.

7 minutes ago, mosshadow95 said:

Any thoughts on how to do malvern hill properly? I can get a stalemate by killing 2:1 ratios but usually the enemy just blasts through the main line of defense and cuts everyone down, most importantly the cannons during the retreat.

It's been a while, but I think I used to start with 6 infantry and 4 artillery? 2 24pdrs, 2 20pdrs. Can usually get close to taking out one unit of enemy artillery before the infantry arrive. Start with units in the trees, near the bridge/ford. Hit the initial infantry, pull the guns back, then the infantry to the second set of trees where the fortifications are. 

On the left I stay in the clump of trees and the field and retreat to the back of the trees and the houses in the middle as I get pressured. Goal is to have the CSA push into the center where they get hit from both flanks. 

Initial infantry are bigger than normal but I think 1400 was enough for me. Reinforcements are mostly infantry with more artillery mixed in. Snipers eventually but those are hard to make much use of in the battle. Second corps doesn't have all that much in it.

Some other options include a fighting retreat, giving up the point and falling back to either the woods across the river on the left. Or back to behind the stream to the south. Let the AI extend, then loop around behind it and crush it from 3 sides.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, pandakraut said:

It's been a while, but I think I used to start with 6 infantry and 4 artillery? 2 24pdrs, 2 20pdrs. Can usually get close to taking out one unit of enemy artillery before the infantry arrive. Start with units in the trees, near the bridge/ford. Hit the initial infantry, pull the guns back, then the infantry to the second set of trees where the fortifications are. 

On the left I stay in the clump of trees and the field and retreat to the back of the trees and the houses in the middle as I get pressured. Goal is to have the CSA push into the center where they get hit from both flanks. 

Initial infantry are bigger than normal but I think 1400 was enough for me. Reinforcements are mostly infantry with more artillery mixed in. Snipers eventually but those are hard to make much use of in the battle. Second corps doesn't have all that much in it.

Some other options include a fighting retreat, giving up the point and falling back to either the woods across the river on the left. Or back to behind the stream to the south. Let the AI extend, then loop around behind it and crush it from 3 sides.

Hmm looping behind the AI and crushing sounds very good considering its like 60k vs 25k. I guess I should put my bad corps first and fill it with skirmishers or and calvary so they can retreat but provide LOS.

36 minutes ago, mosshadow95 said:

Hmm looping behind the AI and crushing sounds very good considering its like 60k vs 25k. I guess I should put my bad corps first and fill it with skirmishers or and calvary so they can retreat but provide LOS.

60k on MG? That's a bit surprising as I was only facing 40k on legendary with a similarly sized army.