Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

50 minutes ago, BCH said:

Georgia Railroad..

66,000 CSA?  vs 12,000 Union

Lost an entire Corp trying to do a conventional defense; I will be glad when the mod addresses the defensive values of the player's fortifications, etc.

If the scaling is not going to reflect previous successes; something else needs to change.

The fortifications at Georgia Railroad are pretty good stat wise. There are a few places in the east that the positioning is questionable so you often need to retreat from them to other cover.

66k is within 20% of normal, I don't think scaling is doing much.

I think the issue is that you have 28 unit slots available(deploy areas need to get fixed so 30 are allowed) and are only bringing 12k men. A single corps should probably have closer to 30k men at this stage of the campaign even with an artillery based setup. Maybe it's possible to bring something like 20 units of 3* artillery and just annihilate them with that, but probably need more infantry to provide them time to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

The fortifications at Georgia Railroad are pretty good stat wise. There are a few places in the east that the positioning is questionable so you often need to retreat from them to other cover.

66k is within 20% of normal, I don't think scaling is doing much.

I think the issue is that you have 28 unit slots available(deploy areas need to get fixed so 30 are allowed) and are only bringing 12k men. A single corps should probably have closer to 30k men at this stage of the campaign even with an artillery based setup. Maybe it's possible to bring something like 20 units of 3* artillery and just annihilate them with that, but probably need more infantry to provide them time to work.

I can certainly bring more troops.. plenty of resources for that.

Increased all Infantry brigades to 2,000; increased skirmishers where possible; battery size 12 to 14 guns.

I pulled almost every unit to the wooded hill behind and NW of the Troup Hurt Farm VP; the Union entrenchments on that flank are solid defensively (must have been built by those Pennsylvania hard coal miners from Luzerne County ;)  ).

Troup Hurt Farm has been retaken; Intel shows CSA down to just under 9,700 with about 81 guns left. Union has 15,462 effectives with 166 guns still in action; a captured CSA supply wagon has finally made it back to the Union lines and is resupplying the Union forces.  CSA units are no longer assaulting.

Timer at 1:59.

There should be plenty of time to retake the remaining VP.. patience is the key.

• Like 1

On to Richmond..

the Georgia Railroad is in Union hands.

After battle report shows:

Union                                              vs                                        CSA
Inf      20,800                                  vs                                       57,584
Cav.        800                                  vs                                          2,069
Art.      4,391/178 guns                vs                                         4,273/178 guns

Losses
Inf.        7,682                                  vs                                      45,645
Cav.         334                                   vs                                        1,507
Art           584/20                             vs                                        2,796/114
Missing       0                                   vs                                           151

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 2:54 PM, JonnyH13 said:

Updated to 1.25.  Have fun everyone!

Just received this from Norton when I intalled 1.25.. never had a problem with previous versions:

Filename: Assembly-CSharp.dll
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1Full Path: F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll

On computers as of
6/30/2019 at 5:14:11 PM

Last Used
6/30/2019 at 5:16:11 PM

Startup Item
No

Launched
No

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

Assembly-CSharp.dll Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Locate

Very Few Users
Fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

https://uc1f73d4c5d1a51352431f12b664.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/cd/0/get/AjwyB2vJC3EifYV5JAW9FMg2C65xhminVYbWdB2qiARDONMxbpVT8CR5ay1VrAPAfz1da17O84NWLz31oAB44aw0ZKAn0QEgjlKSG54awO0NNg/file?_download_id=7731727692832907762212943656764526494348790630624085484229385823&_notify_domain=www.dropbox.com&dl=1
Downloaded File  from dropboxusercontent.com
Source: External Media

Assembly-CSharp.dll

File Actions

File: F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Managed\ Assembly-CSharp.dll Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
f75302cc23083661e189c4e38bd4272ce8f761ae593b2a538dad835853197b7e
File Thumbprint - MD5:
e2dd952be12a8c439eab9f49a5d5fb28

Next question..

Despite the removal of Assembly-CSharp.dll (I assume it was removed from the zipfile, during installation), the game still runs.. how do I determine if the 1.25 mod is active?

2 minutes ago, BCH said:

Next question..

Despite the removal of Assembly-CSharp.dll (I assume it was removed from the zipfile, during installation), the game still runs.. how do I determine if the 1.25 mod is active?

If the newest version is installed you will see the 1.25 listed in the version number on the main menu. If norton blocked the new dll then you'll just be running the previous version you had installed.

There is nothing really different about this version of the dll so it's possible norton changed their detection algorithm or that norton scans files downloaded from dropbox differently than files hosted on the forums. The forums no longer allow zip attachments hence the change to dropbox.

From the error message the specific detection method is always going to return false positives for this kind of situation. The file inherently has a recent creation date since that gets updated anytime I make any changes to the mod. The majority of norton's userbase probably doesn't play UGCW so the file will also get flagged as uncommon. You'll either have to restore the file from quarantine or temporarily disable whatever norton feature is automatically scanning the file, it was called download insight in a 2010 article for what that is worth.

39 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

If the newest version is installed you will see the 1.25 listed in the version number on the main menu. If norton blocked the new dll then you'll just be running the previous version you had installed.

There is nothing really different about this version of the dll so it's possible norton changed their detection algorithm or that norton scans files downloaded from dropbox differently than files hosted on the forums. The forums no longer allow zip attachments hence the change to dropbox.

From the error message the specific detection method is always going to return false positives for this kind of situation. The file inherently has a recent creation date since that gets updated anytime I make any changes to the mod. The majority of norton's userbase probably doesn't play UGCW so the file will also get flagged as uncommon. You'll either have to restore the file from quarantine or temporarily disable whatever norton feature is automatically scanning the file, it was called download insight in a 2010 article for what that is worth.

I will see if I can pull the .dll from the zipfile and simply copy it by itself.. there is no indication that any other files were quarantined.

15 minutes ago, BCH said:

I will see if I can pull the .dll from the zipfile and simply copy it by itself.. there is no indication that any other files were quarantined.

That worked.. but an easier way is to use a Norton option to restore the deleted file and mark it as acceptable for future reference

1.25 Mod - Defense of Phillipi phase.

This mod has some really neat additions;

I particularly like the variable damage tied to weapon range.

I also note that the CSA AI brigades have some raw brigades (no stars) .

Mod question.. are the entrenchments, etc. still death traps or are they more usable?

51 minutes ago, BCH said:

I particularly like the variable damage tied to weapon range.

If you're talking about the Range Damage Multipliers from the tooltips, these are actually in the base game but it isn't exposed to the player.

52 minutes ago, BCH said:

Mod question.. are the entrenchments, etc. still death traps or are they more usable?

There is no longer a penalty to infantry damage while in a fortification. There are also no terrain damage penalties applied when in a fortification, so there might be some that are more useful now. Will require experimentation to find the ones that are worth being more easily targeted.

11 hours ago, pandakraut said:

If you're talking about the Range Damage Multipliers from the tooltips, these are actually in the base game but it isn't exposed to the player.

Yep.. the tool tip is extremely helpful in assignment of weapons to units; in addition to providing some tactical options during an engagement.

• Like 1

You two come through yet again!  Just downloaded the files and had no problem with the install except to remember where the root directory was on my PC!  I too have Norton and no issues or warnings during the install!  I was just getting to Cold Harbor as the CSA but will end there and restart a new CSA Campaign when back from vacation in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see all the changes you've made. I'm very interested to see what you did with Medicine and how that plays out!

Curious to know how the new version affects the 6 pdr...will we see the same devastating effects or was it reduced?  And with the new version does any arty really stand out?

Will you be doing a new vid series on YouTube using the new version?  I see Fiasco plans to do one in a couple of weeks?

Thanks again guys for your work on UGCW. You've done an amazing job to be sure! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

You two come through yet again!  Just downloaded the files and had no problem with the install except to remember where the root directory was on my PC!  I too have Norton and no issues or warnings during the install!  I was just getting to Cold Harbor as the CSA but will end there and restart a new CSA Campaign when back from vacation in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see all the changes you've made. I'm very interested to see what you did with Medicine and how that plays out!

Curious to know how the new version affects the 6 pdr...will we see the same devastating effects or was it reduced?  And with the new version does any arty really stand out?

Will you be doing a new vid series on YouTube using the new version?  I see Fiasco plans to do one in a couple of weeks?

Thanks again guys for your work on UGCW. You've done an amazing job to be sure! Much appreciated.

The 6pdr is considerably weaker than in 1.24. If you want to get close to what it was capable of you'll want to use napoleons now. Artillery has a wider spread of ranges now which should help different types stand out a bit more. The 3", 10pdr parrot, and Blakely should be much better than before while the whitworth and siege will still be some of the best possible cannon available.

I'll be continuing my Union legendary campaign starting at Shiloh. Camp video just went up and battle will be up within a few days.

Tried the mod out, it's okay, but I have a number of issues I'll try to sum up very briefly:

1. There are a lot of AI related bugs/problems: AI routing INTO my front line (and through it) instead of back to friends. AI running away from my units across the entire map because it has infinite(?) condition and runs the same speed/faster than my infantry do. AI just stopping and doing nothing with 80% of its brigades - except for the couple units engaged at the front line - allowing me to encircle and destroy them.

2. AI units move faster than mine do when they rout/charge. Charging is particularly noticeable with cavalry - AI cavalry charges at a breakneck pace, while my cavalry can't seem to even outrun infantry while charging.

3. Cavalry are too slow (But enemy AI cavalry is extremely fast). I am finding that they often move at/near infantry speed and not 'cavalry speed'. Routing AI units actually run away the same speed as, or sometimes, faster(!) than my cavalry can chase. Of particular note is that I haven't bought my own cavalry, only used provided brigades for each mission - I think there may be movement issues with friendly AI brigades, as these are the ones I most notice with inconsistent movement speeds.

4. 2-star or better AI brigades on hard difficulty, in addition to this mod, are almost unbreakable without flanking, outnumbering 2:1, AND using artillery. This is so bad that it often lets me encircle and completely destroy/capture them. The AI would unironically be more difficult if these units actually routed or used fallback orders.

5. Melee is unreliable. I don't know what I'm missing on this, but I keep running into issues where my 40+ condition infantry charge into a brigade HALF their size, with 1-2 friendly brigades adding covering fire, and LOSING the melee/routing from the outnumbered, flanked enemy (is it because they're 2-star brigades?). Likewise the AI will sometimes charge me with cavalry and kill/rout a unit 2-3x their size, but god forbid I do the same thing with MY melee cavalry!

6. Defensive fortifications near shiloh church are weird. My units occupy them and die extremely fast - faster than if they just stood in the spot without occupying the fortification. In particular I noticed that the AI often gets flanking fire on these locations despite not having what I'd consider a 'flank'. (e.g. the two units firing on mine are maybe 30 degrees apart from each other at most).

7. Skirmisher formations with 1000 men are extremely wide - They're pretty finnicky to position.

8. Skirmishers, frustratingly, constantly run away from enemy units that get just slightly too close - ending up favoring the middle of a field to standing in 100% high cover houses. I really really wish there was some way to stop the AI skirmishers from running off like this.

Altogether I like the direction the mod tries to go in, but I'm not sure it's an improvement over the pacing/design of the vanilla game. It feels like there's a lot more bugs in relation to AI behaviour, but that could just be my noticing it more with the mod since I've been playing more with the mod.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, civsully1 said:

👌 What I thought might happen PK.  The 6 PDRs were devastating so I'll focus on the Naps when available going forward when I start the new version. Thx!

If they are still fast movers, I will keep several brigades of 6 pdrs throughout my campaigns; there ability to get quickly from place to place was key in many of my battles.

1 hour ago, BCH said:

If they are still fast movers, I will keep several brigades of 6 pdrs throughout my campaigns; there ability to get quickly from place to place was key in many of my battles.

They are still very quick and can do acceptable damage so they should still be useful in this role.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boersgard said:

Tried the mod out, it's okay, but I have a number of issues I'll try to sum up very briefly:

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of these issues are carryovers from the base game that we can't really do anything about.

1. There are a lot of AI related bugs/problems: AI routing INTO my front line (and through it) instead of back to friends. AI running away from my units across the entire map because it has infinite(?) condition and runs the same speed/faster than my infantry do. AI just stopping and doing nothing with 80% of its brigades - except for the couple units engaged at the front line - allowing me to encircle and destroy them.

AI units routing will always try to go in the direction where you have the fewest units. If you are surrounding them or units are in melee this can lead to odd direction choices and routing through units. If units are along a board edge they can get 'locked' into a path and will keep going no matter what is in the way. The way to deal with this is through your unit positioning. If you keep double lines or a good concave and leave an open direction for the AI to rout they will almost always go away from your units. When closing a pocket don't get to close, if you set it up right some of your units will be able to fire and the AI will bounce back and forth between the sides of the circle. The improved surrender logic should help as well. It may need to be taken a bit further, but there is a very fine line where the AI becomes to likely to surrender.

The AI should be more aggressive than in the previous version, but it is still very possible to get a lot of units standing around. The AI has never been good about protecting against flanking movements. This is another area where we'll try to make small adjustments, but what tends to happen if you swing between AI stands around sometimes and AI charges everything always which isn't particularly fun either.

2. AI units move faster than mine do when they rout/charge. Charging is particularly noticeable with cavalry - AI cavalry charges at a breakneck pace, while my cavalry can't seem to even outrun infantry while charging.

3. Cavalry are too slow (But enemy AI cavalry is extremely fast). I am finding that they often move at/near infantry speed and not 'cavalry speed'. Routing AI units actually run away the same speed as, or sometimes, faster(!) than my cavalry can chase. Of particular note is that I haven't bought my own cavalry, only used provided brigades for each mission - I think there may be movement issues with friendly AI brigades, as these are the ones I most notice with inconsistent movement speeds.

This is all down to the stamina stat and perk choices. The AI's perk choices are random, so in a given battle it's possible that their 2* cav unit has a MG providing + 40% movespeed and the cav unit itself has an additional +50%. Early on if you have a BG providing +accuracy and your cav unit only has the first movespeed perk the AI cav will run circles around you. Additionally, the AI cav units will frequently have a better stamina that than your own on hard difficulty which will allow them to run faster for longer. 

The AI's units play by the same rules as yours, if you want that fast cav you just have to build your units/army with the setup to support it. But you'll be sacrificing damage in other areas to do it.

4. 2-star or better AI brigades on hard difficulty, in addition to this mod, are almost unbreakable without flanking, outnumbering 2:1, AND using artillery. This is so bad that it often lets me encircle and completely destroy/capture them. The AI would unironically be more difficult if these units actually routed or used fallback orders.

Not sure how far into the campaign you are, but this becomes less of an issue as your units get more experience and better weapons. Bull Run in particular tends to be a bit of a slog since units on both sides do relatively little damage.

5. Melee is unreliable. I don't know what I'm missing on this, but I keep running into issues where my 40+ condition infantry charge into a brigade HALF their size, with 1-2 friendly brigades adding covering fire, and LOSING the melee/routing from the outnumbered, flanked enemy (is it because they're 2-star brigades?). Likewise the AI will sometimes charge me with cavalry and kill/rout a unit 2-3x their size, but god forbid I do the same thing with MY melee cavalry!

This is another situation where perks/stats/condition have very important impacts on the outcome. Condition penalties are extremely harsh as low condition reduces your morale and low values of both of those stats reduce melee damage. Cavalry charging an artillery unit or nearly routed unit in the open is about the only time I will willingly charge with a unit that has less than 80+ condition. Sometimes you can't fall back in time and have to counter charge with less, but it's never a preferred option.

The Efficiency and melee stats provide significant melee damage bonuses. If you charge into a 2* unit with a rookie unit(especially as the union) the more experienced unit will probably win unless you have a lot of other factors lined up in your favor. Charge damage perks are also very significant. That 2* AI cav could have up to +75% charge damage from perks with the right combination. 

Firing into melee in the mod is far less friendly to your own unit than it is in the base game. In many cases both units will rout.

9 hours ago, Boersgard said:

6. Defensive fortifications near shiloh church are weird. My units occupy them and die extremely fast - faster than if they just stood in the spot without occupying the fortification. In particular I noticed that the AI often gets flanking fire on these locations despite not having what I'd consider a 'flank'. (e.g. the two units firing on mine are maybe 30 degrees apart from each other at most).

Known issue from the base game. Early fortifications tend to be terrible even with the infantry damage penalty removed. You are usually better off standing in decent cover, though the fortifications can be situationally useful to hop into against a charge since you will get a melee damage reduction and take reduced condition drain since the unit isn't moving. Even late game fortifications tend to be trade offs since they are often positioned terribly and stretch out your unit allowing more AI units to hit it at the same time.

7. Skirmisher formations with 1000 men are extremely wide - They're pretty finnicky to position.

8. Skirmishers, frustratingly, constantly run away from enemy units that get just slightly too close - ending up favoring the middle of a field to standing in 100% high cover houses. I really really wish there was some way to stop the AI skirmishers from running off like this.

With #7 just to double check you are using 1.25 right? Max size skirmishers should be about 30% narrower now. I find they take up about as much space as a 1k infantry unit now and wheeling them is significantly less annoying than it was in 1.24.

Frequent use of hold position is the key to controlling skirmishers. Giving them longer ranged weapons also helps as the fallback logic is trying to let them fire, retreat out of range while reloading, then return to fire again. With infantry rifles they tend to just stand there and fire since their range matches the targets.

Altogether I like the direction the mod tries to go in, but I'm not sure it's an improvement over the pacing/design of the vanilla game. It feels like there's a lot more bugs in relation to AI behaviour, but that could just be my noticing it more with the mod since I've been playing more with the mod.

The slower game speed definitely takes a bit to adjust to and there are probably some issues that are made worse by the changes. The game speed is configurable in the Mod/Rebalance/ConfigFile.csv. Just edit it with notepad and change gameSpeed to 5 and fastForward to 3 and you'll be back to the pace that the base game runs at.

When I am looking at the weapon tooltips..

using the SF 1861 as an example, I see the range damage modifiers listed as Short; Medium; Long; Max w/ 73%; 52%; 44%; 42% respectively. How does that relate to the damage range of 4.5 to 6?

1 hour ago, BCH said:

When I am looking at the weapon tooltips..

using the SF 1861 as an example, I see the range damage modifiers listed as Short; Medium; Long; Max w/ 73%; 52%; 44%; 42% respectively. How does that relate to the damage range of 4.5 to 6?

If you are at medium range you would take the multiplier of 52% * the damage range of 4.5 to 6. So on average the weapon would deal 2.73 dmg at medium range.