Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 6/16/2021 1.27.4.3


Recommended Posts

Malvern Hill is going to be rather tough after Gaines Mills.. Union losses at the Mills were heavy and not completely recoverable.

Going to play it anyway

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gameplay Rebalance and Customizations created by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut Discord Link: https://discord.gg/NmHUGvq 6/16/2021 Updated to 1.27.4.3      Small patch for a critical bug pl

Gettysburg, Monocacy, Antietam, New Market - selected views: Gettysburg, First day position of Stone's Brigade at McPherson's Farm This would have been the view the advancing Confederates had

You can start with 7 training. This gives the union nearly 1 star recruits and the CSA ~1.5 star recruits. Though currently starting with econ and logistics and just buying cannon and fielding 24p and

Posted Images

Malvern HIll is most likely not achievable without a reduction in losses at Gaines Mill; currently replaying Gaines Mill with an improved defensive line on McGhee Hill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, nik_nv said:

Finally I've got historically correct (almost!) Gettysburg. It was VERY hard and "very costly"..

At the end, after capturing Little Round Top, I defended it against arrived Union reinforcements (25000+)  with few brigades each around 500-1000 men only! With only 15 guns..

Only the features of the capturing mod saved me..

getty1s.png

getty4s.png

getty6s.png

getty7s_end.png

Hi,

Well done  

May I ask what level your using ?

Many thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, nik_nv said:

Finally I've got historically correct (almost!) Gettysburg. It was VERY hard and "very costly"..

At the end, after capturing Little Round Top, I defended it against arrived Union reinforcements (25000+)  with few brigades each around 500-1000 men only! With only 15 guns..

Only the features of the capturing mod saved me..

getty1s.png

getty4s.png

getty6s.png

getty7s_end.png

Hi,

Nicely done  

May I ask what level you are playing on ?

Best wishes

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BCH said:

Malvern HIll is most likely not achievable without a reduction in losses at Gaines Mill; currently replaying Gaines Mill with an improved defensive line on McGhee Hill.

Hi,

May I ask your total strength for Gaines

Best wishes

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 4:19 AM, pandakraut said:

Unfortunately no. The problem with replacing the curves in the mod is that it breaks the damage system and reworking it has been slow going. 

Currently you can mostly ignore the size curves for infantry. Skirmishers either want to max out at 375 or go all the way to 1k. With artillery I'd either max at 14 or go up to 40+.

Thank you

Ok then can you post the "damage fall-off by unit size" curve for the rebalanced mod?

And ,just to be sure, the damage fall-off applies to melee damage also. Right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, contact said:

Hi,

May I ask your total strength for Gaines

Best wishes

Union I Corp 13,564 Inf. and 79 guns
Union II Corp 7,820 Inf. and 34 guns

Total Union (assuming all reinforcements arrive) = 21, 384 and 113 guns

 

Biggest issue that I see so far is that scaling of CSA brigades has resulted in brigades much larger than the Union's/

Additionally, a great many CSA brigades are three star, with the rest seemly all two star.

Not only are you outnumbered by a large margin in mid-battle, the experience and skills of the CSA brigades greatly exceed what is obtainable by the Union as a player.

Just to clarify, I am playing on MG level.

Edited by BCH
add'l text
Link to post
Share on other sites

On to variation # 2 of the Union defensive line on McGhee Hill..

At the start battle screen..  I see CSA at 48,701 men and 172 gun vs. my Union forces of 24,932 and 113 gun.

I am going to attempt to exploit the Eastern woods defensive advantage across from the McGhee Hill objective. This means giving away the objective at some point and then retaking it and either Boatswain's Hill or Woods for the win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taqtaq said:

Thank you

Ok then can you post the "damage fall-off by unit size" curve for the rebalanced mod?

And ,just to be sure, the damage fall-off applies to melee damage also. Right?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxxwxiqtfwnwd63/ModdedEffifiencyCurve.png?dl=0

These curves only apply to ranged damage. In terms of melee, more men is always better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I need help with Union MG... the battle is Supply Raid...played it some 8 times but Stuart's cavalry simply smashes me to pieces. The Sharps M1859 rifle takes out 2-3 cavalrymen per shot, they don't care about canister shot to their face... frustration, frustration, frustration

Edited by Minas Moth
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BCH said:

On to variation # 2 of the Union defensive line on McGhee Hill..

At the start battle screen..  I see CSA at 48,701 men and 172 gun vs. my Union forces of 24,932 and 113 gun.

I am going to attempt to exploit the Eastern woods defensive advantage across from the McGhee Hill objective. This means giving away the objective at some point and then retaking it and either Boatswain's Hill or Woods for the win.

Hi,

Many thanks for info.

According to my report/intelligence Service, it states the CSA will be at 55-60K. Less 5%.

I will be able to field a total of about  40,000 men.

Must admit I do not intend to field much more than 40 guns. I wish to field as many infantry as possible. Maybe a small brigade of cavalry.

I’m thinking  to “hold the defensive line”. My main Corps will be much larger than my second.

I hope to blunt the Rebs attack on my line. If can do so. Will then worry about McGhee Hill.

Good luck.

Best wishes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After action report for Gaines Mills, played at MG lvl:

The numbers according to the after battle results screen..

Union vs. CSA totals brought to the battle

Inf.                20,650       vs.    60,501
Cav.                   494        vs.             0
Guns(Men) 113(2,798) vs.   244(5,984)

Losses

Inf.                 9,416     vs.   25,155
Cav.                  494     vs.             0
Guns(Men)  28(818) vs.  156(3.899)

Union Victory

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BCH said:

After action report for Gaines Mills, played at MG lvl:

The numbers according to the after battle results screen..

Union vs. CSA totals brought to the battle

Inf.                20,650       vs.    60,501
Cav.                   494        vs.             0
Guns(Men) 113(2,798) vs.   244(5,984)

Losses

Inf.                 9,416     vs.   25,155
Cav.                  494     vs.             0
Guns(Men)  28(818) vs.  156(3.899)

Union Victory

 

 

That looks a bit worrying with Malvern Hill coming up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BCH said:

After action report for Gaines Mills, played at MG lvl:

The numbers according to the after battle results screen..

Union vs. CSA totals brought to the battle

Inf.                20,650       vs.    60,501
Cav.                   494        vs.             0
Guns(Men) 113(2,798) vs.   244(5,984)

Losses

Inf.                 9,416     vs.   25,155
Cav.                  494     vs.             0
Guns(Men)  28(818) vs.  156(3.899)

Union Victory

 

 

Hi,

Well done .

As PK says. Worrying for Malvern.

Any thoughts yet. Re next course of action.

Best wishes 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 5/8/2019 at 10:26 PM, contact said:

May I ask what level your using ?

I play MG legendary always.

This time the Gettysburg is very interesting, I guess because my total forces were weaker or equal to Union army.

During the first phase, the attack on that Oak and Seminary ridges was sooo realistic! The Seminary ridge changed the side 4 or 5 times, I captured it then had to retreat and like that several times! One moment I though I play against a human not AI.. such effective it was the enemy' defensive tactic. Look at my losses, 46,5% from the attacking corps. The first time I see the game behave such interesting. If my north corps did not arrive I could probably loose the battle. When my north corps came to the map, the Union brigades quickly retreated to the city and then to Cemetery Hill, like during historical battle, amazing! Only some of them I could manage to catch in the city. Usually, AI brigades are just standing and waiting when I crush them, but now I see something new. 

I think due to numbers (almost equal) and quality of the forces (3 stars brigades on the both sides) the game used some different algorithms than usual..

getty2s.png

getty3s.png

Edited by nik_nv
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nik_nv said:

 

I play MG legendary always.

This time the Gettysburg is very interesting, I guess because my total forces were weaker or equal to Union army.

During the first phase, the attack on that Oak and Seminary ridges was sooo realistic! The Seminary ridge changed the side 4 or 5 times, I captured it then had to retreat and like that several times! One moment I though I play against a human not AI.. such effective it was the enemy' defensive tactic. The first time I see the game behave such interesting. When my north corps came to the map, the Union brigades quickly retreated to the city and then to Cemetery Hill, like during historical battle, amazing! Usually, AI brigades are just standing and waiting when I crush them, but now I see something new. 

I think due to numbers (almost equal) and quality of the forces (3 stars brigades on the both sides) the game used some different algorithms than usual..

getty2s.png

getty3s.png

Hi,

Many thanks. Does sound like it must have been very enjoyable to play. Especially with the battle playing as it did.

Plus of course, the satisfaction of the Victory. On MG level too ! Congrats.

May I ask if using Windows or Apple. I use an Apple IMAC and there has been a recent update. The update says it has improved graphics and AI ! 

Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Minas Moth said:

I need help with Union MG... the battle is Supply Raid...played it some 8 times but Stuart's cavalry simply smashes me to pieces. The Sharps M1859 rifle takes out 2-3 cavalrymen per shot, they don't care about canister shot to their face... frustration, frustration, frustration

Trying to get you some tips from someone who played it recently. I'm pretty sure I defended far to the South of the map and then broke off 3 cav units to rush the point and hit finish as soon as it was contested.

Allied only battles are not balanced at the moment and will be addressed in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

That looks a bit worrying with Malvern Hill coming up.

Yep, it will be tough.

The plus side, all my batteries survived Gaines Mills with minimal gun loss. I Corp, 1st and 2nd Divisions are relatively healthy before a refit. I should be able to refit enough to give it a go..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, contact said:

Hi,

Well done .

As PK says. Worrying for Malvern.

Any thoughts yet. Re next course of action.

Best wishes 

I have 11,234 Inf. to start before I refit the two Corps. I will add more gun batteries to the mix.

Depending upon the numbers seen on the CSA brigades; I will most likely do a fighting withdrawal across the open area. With the initial reinforcements, I should be able to hold the wooded area with the secondary objectives. As the final Union reinforcements arrive, I will push to retake the main objective.

i will send at least two cavalry brigades along the west side of the map to try and pick off as many CSA supply wagons as I can. I will also deploy two strong skirmisher units in the west side woods. This will also pull CSA units away from my main line.

The objective will be to draw CSA units into battery fire as they try to take the secondary objectives to both reduce in morale and numbers. Eventually the Union will need to push forward.

Actually surprised I have gotten this far in the campaign.. my thoughts were that I took too many casualties in the 1st Bull Run Battle to continue effectively at this play level.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Minas Moth said:

I need help with Union MG... the battle is Supply Raid...played it some 8 times but Stuart's cavalry simply smashes me to pieces. The Sharps M1859 rifle takes out 2-3 cavalrymen per shot, they don't care about canister shot to their face... frustration, frustration, frustration

Personally I decline to fight this battle.. little to gain and a lot to lose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BCH said:

Personally I decline to fight this battle.. little to gain and a lot to lose.

On legendary everyone I've talked to has used some variant of cheese to cap the point and finish quickly. Until that mission gets rebalanced that's probably as good as you'll get unless you're on a lower difficulty. 

Skipping is always an option as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried defending all the way South... But the problem there is I have to send a unit up North in order to lure the Stuart's Cav into coming to me... Although there is a farm and I have the High Ground when he charges those 3 star Cavalry units on the open field I just can't fend them off... Even if I use woods the problems are many. In one attempt i had a single unit engage him in a forest with 2 artillery batteries and 4 other units firing at him to no avail, just can't make him break. When he did break he came back charging with 3 units and you know what happens when Cavalry gets melee bonus...

It's a lot of scratching on my head and ayaaa yaaayaaa yaaays happening. I watched people win it even on legendary but boy oh boy.

So I skipped the battle... And went to Chancellorsville... and well... I think I broke the campaign (again lol). I wiped out entire Rebel army... they have only around 15 k troops that shattered and returned to their pool... Managed to capture some 30 cannons, and now comes Gettysburg. As things go like they did in my last Union Campaign, after Chickamauga the Campaign is over... 

I think that soon, really really soon I'll have to start to play at legendary level or try the UI and AI Customization mod to see how I'll manage there.

Edited by Minas Moth
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Minas Moth said:

I made this little list of Historical unit formations:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/502520/discussions/0/1651043958634466944/

Free for use :)

Very nice.. I have have two additional regiments to add to your list for Pennsylvania.

143rd PA Infantry Regiment http://www.pacivilwar.com/regiment/143rd.html

and the 150th PA Infantry Regiment http://www.pacivilwar.com/regiment/150th.html

along with the 149th PA Infantry Regiment that you listed, they comprised Stone's Brigade that held McPherson's Farm till the last possible moment during the first day of Gettysburg, allowing the incoming Union troops (and the rest that retreated back through Gettysburg) to dig in on Cemetery Ridge, Culps Hill, etc.

This was the first battle in which these three regiments were actually fully engaged. Maps showing positions at 4:00PM July 1, 1863 will show the regiment locations. The 143rd was the last to withdraw " the regiment lost 145 killed and wounded and 91 missing out of 465 present for duty. "

CSA Lt. General A.P.Hill commented on the surprisingly stubborn resistance by these regiments...

 

Edited by BCH
grammatical edit
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JonnyH13 changed the title to J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 6/16/2021 1.27.4.3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...