Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

Thanks for the suggestion about the AIscalingSizeMultiplier. 

I finally won the battle of Logan's Crossroads and I can't imagine how to win it on Major General without it.  Maybe my skill will improve as I play the mod more and one of these days I can do it as designed.  The challenge tonight gave me enough of a challenge to be entertaining without feeing hopeless.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BadgerFan said:

Thanks for the suggestion about the AIscalingSizeMultiplier. 

I finally won the battle of Logan's Crossroads and I can't imagine how to win it on Major General without it.  Maybe my skill will improve as I play the mod more and one of these days I can do it as designed.  The challenge tonight gave me enough of a challenge to be entertaining without feeing hopeless.

Logan's Crossroads can go from incredibly difficult to relatively easy depending on how you are approaching it. Basically you can retreat off the VP for most of the battle and fight the AI piecemeal. This example is from a much older version, but the basic structure still works 

I tried to post this yesterday, but it I was unable to validate my account for some reason, so I am reposting now.

I hope to God that the new update reduces the spam charges. As it stands, BG is way too easy and MG is way too hard. I love the concepts of the mod, but I want to be challenged while not doomed. Previous versions were better in my opinion, though Shiloh has always been nearly impossible at MG as a Confederate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tap11 said:

I tried to post this yesterday, but it I was unable to validate my account for some reason, so I am reposting now.

I hope to God that the new update reduces the spam charges. As it stands, BG is way too easy and MG is way too hard. I love the concepts of the mod, but I want to be challenged while not doomed. Previous versions were better in my opinion, though Shiloh has always been nearly impossible at MG as a Confederate.

In the Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance\AIConfigFile there are a couple options for adjusting difficulty.
AdvancedChargeLogic can be set to false to disable the new chain charge logic.
AIscalingSizeMultiplier can be adjusted up or down to increase or decrease the size of all enemy units. I'd suggest trying .85 or .9 on MG. Or you can try maybe 1.25 on BG.

These values can be changed between each battle if you want, so if the campaign becomes to easy after a point you can always adjust from there. In the next patch an option will also be provided to adjust the experience of all enemy units so that should help with being able to find a middle ground between difficulty levels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pandakraut said:

In the Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance\AIConfigFile there are a couple options for adjusting difficulty.
AdvancedChargeLogic can be set to false to disable the new chain charge logic.
AIscalingSizeMultiplier can be adjusted up or down to increase or decrease the size of all enemy units. I'd suggest trying .85 or .9 on MG. Or you can try maybe 1.25 on BG.

These values can be changed between each battle if you want, so if the campaign becomes to easy after a point you can always adjust from there. In the next patch an option will also be provided to adjust the experience of all enemy units so that should help with being able to find a middle ground between difficulty levels.

Thanks for the help, I will give it a go.

20 hours ago, tap11 said:

Does this version have chain charges by the AI? I tried to disable them from the last version as you suggested, but it did not seem to work. Even though I changed it to false I still got them.

Yes, that feature was retained in the latest version to improve the AI's ability to coordinate charges. 

AdvancedChargeLogic set to false prevents the AI from being more likely to charge if another nearby unit is also charging. However, this just reduces the chance, it doesn't prevent it entirely. Charges will be be more common the wider the difference between the size, experience, and melee power of the player's units compared to the AI units is.

AIscalingSizeMultiplier and AIscalingExperienceMultiplier can also be used to reduce the size and experience of enemy brigades respectively. These should allow you to adjust the difficulty of battles as desired.

12 hours ago, Jeepcreep2019 said:

I see in the change log "Wounded allied officers showing up in barracks partially fixed." Does this mean I will not be finding wounded historic officers in my barracks that normally would not have been in the game? If so is it possible to turn the bug back on? 

Re-enabling that is not something that is currently configurable. This bug was potentially providing a huge cash influx from the officers that could be gained from it, so it's not something that should probably be in the game. However, in the future we can try and see if it's possible to ensure that more of those historical officers show up in the barracks or as rep buys, though I'm unsure possible that is(mostly if we can get the historical portraits).

For example a change we have previously considered is moving any rep buy officers into the barracks if they are not bought.

Edited by pandakraut

On 8/25/2020 at 11:26 AM, pandakraut said:

Re-enabling that is not something that is currently configurable. This bug was potentially providing a huge cash influx from the officers that could be gained from it, so it's not something that should probably be in the game. However, in the future we can try and see if it's possible to ensure that more of those historical officers show up in the barracks or as rep buys, though I'm unsure possible that is(mostly if we can get the historical portraits).

For example a change we have previously considered is moving any rep buy officers into the barracks if they are not bought.

I appreciate the response. It would be very cool if down the line new officers could be added to the game. For now I will get by with using the names I added. Just started playing the newest version and its been challenging so far, great work.

• Like 1

Excellent work Panda, I love it so far. As to the officers, I also cant imagine playing the game without this bug :) , I am sucker for historical generals. What I do, is play the game 1.27 and then in missions where i have allied troops I revert to 1.26 at the very end of the battle, make a kamikaze charge, get a couple of officers wounded, save and revert to 1.27 and voila, the officers are there

• Like 1

16 hours ago, superbastard325 said:

Excellent work Panda, I love it so far. As to the officers, I also cant imagine playing the game without this bug :) , I am sucker for historical generals. What I do, is play the game 1.27 and then in missions where i have allied troops I revert to 1.26 at the very end of the battle, make a kamikaze charge, get a couple of officers wounded, save and revert to 1.27 and voila, the officers are there

FYI, you'll be losing out on some experience gain for your officers, money from any captured cavalry, captured supply return rate will be much higher, and any officers wounded before the save/load will be lost using this method.

Recently upgraded to 1.27 : Excellent!  Thank you, @pandakraut

The AIconfigFile tweaks you identify address many of the game balance issues I've had (BG : too easy / MG : too awkward).  Thought I had hit a wall there.

Suggestion: Gather into one posting

• Link to the v.1.27 upgrade
  • info & suggestions on player-customization of new AIconfig file
  • info & suggestions on player-customization of elements of other config files

That'll make it a little easier to share & discuss 'player customization experience' (pro's/con's, trade-off's, etc.) which really lies at the heart of effectively re-balancing the game 

Again:  KUDOS for an excellent improvement by you and @JonnyH13  

• Like 1

I've made it to Shiloh in a MG Union campaign, 1.27.  Looking to build up an army, with a goal of about 28-30 units of all types divided between 2 corps. I've played a couple lower difficulty campaigns before and this seems like a strong enough force to me.

I have the manpower and money to do this, but there's a bottleneck.  Most of the officers left in the pool are brigadiers ranging between 18-30k in price. There is no way I can afford these officers and build up a strong enough force. I would be happy to fill out my command with randomly generated lower officers, but as far as I know there is no way to generate these lower grades unless the academy pool is already empty. Since these six brigadiers represent about a 140k bill, I can't clear the pool and purchase weapons by throwing money at the problem.

I am assuming I'll need start the campaign over, and was wondering how experienced MG players (this is my first run on MG) manage their officer pools at this difficulty.

Nice work on 1.27. I've tried MG a couple times before with other versions and they always felt a bit too hard for my taste. This one feels challenging but not overly punishing.

Edited by worden
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dixiePig said:

info & suggestions on player-customization of elements of other config files

Included in the Mod/Rebalance folder there is a Config file guide that provides some insight into what the values do.

Compiling some suggested middle ground values between difficulties is a good idea, though I don't think I have enough information to do so currently. I've just made guesses on numbers so far, so any feedback on what has ended up feeling good would be helpful.

2 hours ago, worden said:

I am assuming I'll need start the campaign over, and was wondering how experienced MG players (this is my first run on MG) manage their officer pools at this difficulty.

Unless you can find the money to clear the pool, or figure out a way to make it through the battle without clearing it you are unfortunately correct. Clearing the pool is something that I always prioritize, especially because while those officers are expensive they also provide the invaluable service of printing 1*s.  

There is a decent amount of variance in the officers that are available from campaign to campaign, and I have seen cases where a lot of BG generate and it's extremely expensive to clear the pool. Will add this to the list of things to look into either normalizing, or try to find a way to let a min rank officer always be an option somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, JonnyH13 said:

updated to version 1.27.1

Just a minor update to fix several bugs and address a few balance issues. No need to restart 1.27 campaigns after installing.

Balance Changes
- Increased weapon variance chance slightly.
- An additional damage penalty from low morale now applies to melee as well.
- Slight reduction to mounted cavalry range damage.

Bug Fixes
- Fixed negative efficiency issue.
- Restricted merging units in multiday battles.
- Nearby routing units morale regen penalty now applying correctly.
- Fixed merging bug where incorrect number of sprites would display.
- Fixed Blackwater River deployable units issue.

So, a request --> is it possible to move the in-game announcements to center-top screen? or wherever we might like them to appear? I find they come/go most of the time without me really seeing them. Would also be great (not that you can do this) if the game alerted us audibly to the fact that reinforcements have arrived. Lots of room for improvement from the default....

And btw, I really enjoy this mod.

• Like 1