Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

1.26.1 changelog: 
- List of random officer names now in the OfficerName.txt and OfficerSurname.txt.
- 2 points in recon needed to see enemy men and guns on deploy screen.
- Multiple scaling bug fixes.
- Sharps 1859 infantry weapon range curve improved
- Scaling standardized at Phillipi

Not necessary to restart campaigns.
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, pandakraut said:
1.26.1 changelog: 
- List of random officer names now in the OfficerName.txt and OfficerSurname.txt.
- 2 points in recon needed to see enemy men and guns on deploy screen.
- Multiple scaling bug fixes.
- Sharps 1859 infantry weapon range curve improved
- Scaling standardized at Phillipi

Not necessary to restart campaigns.

THX for the fast answer

but i cant find the rifles from: - Sharps 1859 infantry weapon range curve improved ???

did it have in german an another name??

THX once again

On 2/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, pandakraut said:

So...does that mean we can actually add names to that list? If so, can we get this for the UI and AI Mod as well? 

3 hours ago, Garm said:

So...does that mean we can actually add names to that list? If so, can we get this for the UI and AI Mod as well? 

Yes, names can be added as desired. No guarantees for any special characters though.

I'll try to get it into the UI mod within the next few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed that the AI has duplicate brigades on occasion with the same size and general, is this a bug and if not what is the purpose and how can it be disabled. Also it seems like there are duplicate generals or wounded generals in my barracks that are not from my Corps. Is this also a bug still.

Thank You gentlemen for the great work you have done and continue to do, your efforts are greatly appreciated and have successfully kept me from getting a good night sleep for many nights.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:21 AM, pandakraut said:

Scaling shouldn't be affecting either of the first battles beyond the increases from difficulty. I'll double check Phillipi and maybe just make it a bit easier. I can beat it on legendary but it's considerably more frustrating than Potomac Fort.

I'll check all of the allied unit only battles again. They aren't supposed to be scaling against the players units, but I think that part of the base game logic is not working correctly.

The mod is intended to be considerably harder than the base game. The starting union battle has been beaten by multiple people on legendary but it should probably be toned down a bit more to be less annoying.

Huh, I don't know, it seems like Salem Church was definitely affected (and improved now, thanks for the patch!) Salem Church is the battle that comes right after Chancellorsville, by the way, not one of the first few battles, in case that is what you meant. But yeah, Philippi was crazy, I don't know how it's possible to have beaten the huge amount of confederates now that they just charge at your tiny brigades instead of letting you shoot from the houses. Without the new charge logic enabled, it's a much different story admittedly! 

Edited by DogMeatJenkins
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DogMeatJenkins said:

Huh, I don't know, it seems like Salem Church was definitely affected (and improved now, thanks for the patch!) Salem Church is the battle that comes right after Chancellorsville, by the way, not one of the first few battles, in case that is what you meant. But yeah, Philippi was crazy, I don't know how it's possible to have beaten the huge amount of confederates now that they just charge at your tiny brigades instead of letting you shoot from the houses. Without the new charge logic enabled, it's a much different story admittedly! 

Salem Church was still being affected by part of the scaling algorithm, but this should be fixed in 1.26.1.

The only scaling that was affecting Phillipi was a random size modifier, but this could mean facing 3-4k more units day 2 if you got unlucky. 1.26.1 removed this random value for that battle so it should be more reasonable now. Previously it was very difficult and if the AI charges landed just wrong you were probably dead. Good use of the fortifications outside and inside of town was the key. The trenches have 60% melee damage resist so jumping into them as a charge comes in is very effective. 

15 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Salem Church was still being affected by part of the scaling algorithm, but this should be fixed in 1.26.1.

The only scaling that was affecting Phillipi was a random size modifier, but this could mean facing 3-4k more units day 2 if you got unlucky. 1.26.1 removed this random value for that battle so it should be more reasonable now. Previously it was very difficult and if the AI charges landed just wrong you were probably dead. Good use of the fortifications outside and inside of town was the key. The trenches have 60% melee damage resist so jumping into them as a charge comes in is very effective. 

Yeah, Salem Church was 45k Confederates vs my 15000 (AI provided, low experience) Union boys. Now it's 14k Confederates when I reloaded my chancellorsville save on the same campaign. So that's a major difference! I haven't tried Phillipi again since, but yeah, even with losing only 100-150 men in the first phase so my brigades were at full capacity, the confederates just showed up with huge (4000+) brigades my men weren't able to resist in the trenches. They just instantly routed. 

• Like 1

Hi! What problems can there be if I continue to play the company with 1.25 on a new patch? And how can you increase the number of enemy forces before a battle? (too many feds were killed before Entitym, because of this the battle may be too easy).

Thank you so much for the mod, it makes you return to this wonderful game over and over again and is interested in the history of the American Civil War.

• Like 1

Hey, another question - On the battle of Harrison's Creek, as Union, I am asked to select two Corps to deploy, of a maximum of 30 brigades each (mine are only 18), for a total of 60 max or 36 in my case. However, when you actually play the battle, you only get to deploy 8 + 8 + 5 brigades, for a total of 21, but yoou can only pull from the first corps so in my case it's 18, and you never get any reinforcement waves the whole battle. I'm kind of confused as to what's going on, is this a bug, or working as intended? Seems like I'm not getting my reinforcements, or else why are we asked to bring so many only to be able to deploy a 3rd of the total troops? It just needlessly drives up the enemy's strength so I'm facing a really big enemy in the trenches but I am only allowed to bring 21 brigades most of which need to be artillery. But maybe this is how the battle has been designed in the mod, so that it is an uphill battle? Wondering which it is, hmmm. Oh, and I never get my 2nd general, supply cart, etc. from the second corps I'm supposedly bringing along. This kinda seems like a bug to me? 

Edited by DogMeatJenkins
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:37 AM, DogMeatJenkins said:

the confederates just showed up with huge (4000+) brigades my men weren't able to resist in the trenches.

Even with the old code in place 4k AI brigades should never have been possible at Phillipi. Not sure what you managed to hit to see that.

27 minutes ago, DogMeatJenkins said:

Hey, another question - On the battle of Harrison's Creek, as Union, I am asked to select two Corps to deploy, of a maximum of 30 brigades each (mine are only 18), for a total of 60 max or 36 in my case. However, when you actually play the battle, you only get to deploy 8 + 8 + 5 brigades, for a total of 21, but yoou can only pull from the first corps so in my case it's 18, and you never get any reinforcement waves the whole battle. I'm kind of confused as to what's going on, is this a bug, or working as intended? Seems like I'm not getting my reinforcements, or else why are we asked to bring so many only to be able to deploy a 3rd of the total troops? It just needlessly drives up the enemy's strength so I'm facing a really big enemy in the trenches but I am only allowed to bring 21 brigades most of which need to be artillery. But maybe this is how the battle has been designed in the mod, so that it is an uphill battle? Wondering which it is, hmmm. Oh, and I never get my 2nd general, supply cart, etc. from the second corps I'm supposedly bringing along. This kinda seems like a bug to me? 

The deployments in this battle are likely percentage based. So if you aren't bringing the maximum amount of brigades for the battle fewer units will get deployed and you might not end up with your full corps. You can build minimum size skirmisher units to fill out your corps brigade amounts to 30 to get more of your useful units on the field sooner.

Going through the entire Union campaign to fix these percentage deploys is on the list of things to get to, but it's a very time consuming task.

7 hours ago, GeKeSich said:

What problems can there be if I continue to play the company with 1.25 on a new patch? And how can you increase the number of enemy forces before a battle? (too many feds were killed before Entitym, because of this the battle may be too easy).

Continuing a campaign on the new patch will mostly work. You'll probably see some weird issues with officers and supply, but nothing detrimental. New campaigns are always recommended to get the full effect of all the changes though.

In the Mod/Rebalance/AIConfigFile you can increase the value of AIscalingSizeMultiplier to make the enemy larger.

Edited by pandakraut

On 2/28/2020 at 11:30 AM, pandakraut said:

Even with the old code in place 4k AI brigades should never have been possible at Phillipi. Not sure what you managed to hit to see that.

The deployments in this battle are likely percentage based. So if you aren't bringing the maximum amount of brigades for the battle fewer units will get deployed and you might not end up with your full corps. You can build minimum size skirmisher units to fill out your corps brigade amounts to 30 to get more of your useful units on the field sooner.

Going through the entire Union campaign to fix these percentage deploys is on the list of things to get to, but it's a very time consuming task.

Okay, well the problem is just I don't have the army organization to field extra brigades right now. But I could reload and get an extra point. However, what I am actually confused about is that my reinforcement corps is being totally left out of the battle and never given a chance to appear. The first corps deploys all 18 brigades I have, but the 2nd reinforcement corps just never appears, there's never an event like "Your reinforcements have arrived!". Are you sure this is not just a bug in the battle script or something? 

30 minutes ago, DogMeatJenkins said:

Okay, well the problem is just I don't have the army organization to field extra brigades right now. But I could reload and get an extra point. However, what I am actually confused about is that my reinforcement corps is being totally left out of the battle and never given a chance to appear. The first corps deploys all 18 brigades I have, but the 2nd reinforcement corps just never appears, there's never an event like "Your reinforcements have arrived!". Are you sure this is not just a bug in the battle script or something? 

It is possible, I have not looked into how the deployments work in that battle in any detail. 

I am curious why your AO is so low by this stage in the campaign? My corps can usually field more than 18 units by at least Malvern Hill.

Any background on how 'balancing' is done by the AI?  As CSA, I am having some difficulty on Cross Creek on MG:  I keep losing +40% of my army, which results in a Draw.  

I've tried several approaches: smaller/modest sized units, exceptionally strong units, more infantry, more artillery/less artillery, more aggregate numbers of troops, but can't get better than a Draw now.

How does the AI compute balancing?

• Number of troops?  (large  units) 
  • Strength of units (stars/xp)?
  • is Armament (quality of weapons) a factor?
  • Does it make a difference if I have a mix some strong units and some weak?
  • How do artillery and cavalry fit into the computation?

At BG level, Cross Keys was challenging, but I could win with 8 Infantry bdes of about 1500 apiece (varying xp), 3 fairly strong Artillery with ~18 guns apiece, and a xp-strong Forrest cavalry of 350 or so (capture supplies, destroy artillery, and finish off weakened Infantry units)

Because the MG-level game limits your access to 'spoils of war' weapons, the AI's balance methodology becomes a real factor in deciding how to build your army..

45 minutes ago, dixiePig said:

Any background on how 'balancing' is done by the AI?

Please see the scaling section of this post: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/ 

There are a few minor additions by the mod to account for the larger possible infantry sizes and increase the AISize minimum as the campaign progresses, but otherwise it works as in the base game.

good mod acctually,charge system is very impressive,charge the flank is useful.but a brigade with 3000 man can route several brigades with 1500 man seems not very reasonable。although the effect of the charge depends on several factor like the morale and strength,but the ifluence of the number seems quiet large and implausible just like chasing and killing pigs.so i suggest that if the number of the charge brigade is much larger than the charged one,just reduce the damage and accelerate the flight speed of the brigade.

also, i found that now we can gain the wounded general from some special battle which contain some historical general that the computer won't give us after battle,but another question is ,if i save and load the archive of one battle which had some general wounded before ,when i finish the game those wounded generals will disappear,especially when some famous generals disappeared,really make me sad.so i dont konw if it can be repaired in the future.

PS:really hope to gain more historical general during the game especially those have been made but the computer dont give us,like Battery general: henry hunt,robert tyler,Corps general :olandro wilcox,oliver howard,darius couch,philip kearny,george stoneman GK warren,andrew humphreys,daniel butterfield,or Cavary general :david gregg,even brigade general like chamberlain,alexanda hays,david birney, william french,charles griffin,doubleday,solomon meredith,John T.Wilder etc.

really hope to gain all of them 

i konw gaining so much brig.gen will make game less challenge.i request you gays if it possible to put all the historical general in the shop let us to choose which to buy ,or just let them recruitable with a low military rank and let us to train them,,i really dont want to use so much fake officers.

• Like 1

I’m tinkering with the configuration to see if I can get this mod perfect for me: I’m not hardcore - MG is my level, I don’t game the game, I like historical size units, and I like to try and approach the plan of the battle in the way the historical commanders did.  One thing that is bugging me is the way AI skirmishes charge infantry brigades.  Is there a way to dial their AI enthusiasm back so skirmishes behave like skirmishes?

Edited by KeithD
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 1:08 AM, rrtwertqe said:

also, i found that now we can gain the wounded general from some special battle which contain some historical general that the computer won't give us after battle,but another question is ,if i save and load the archive of one battle which had some general wounded before ,when i finish the game those wounded generals will disappear,especially when some famous generals disappeared,really make me sad.so i dont konw if it can be repaired in the future.

There is a bug from the base game that wounded officers from allied units can sometimes end up in your officer pool. Not sure how it happens, but it's a nice bonus.

A mid/battle save load will unfortunately lose any officers that were wounded and replaced by a subordinate. I don't think this is something I will be able to fix, so my general recommendation is to limit the use of mid battle saves when possible. Saving in camp during multiday battles is safe as far as I know.

PS:really hope to gain more historical general during the game especially those have been made but the computer dont give us,like Battery general: henry hunt,robert tyler,Corps general :olandro wilcox,oliver howard,darius couch,philip kearny,george stoneman GK warren,andrew humphreys,daniel butterfield,or Cavary general :david gregg,even brigade general like chamberlain,alexanda hays,david birney, william french,charles griffin,doubleday,solomon meredith,John T.Wilder etc.

In the Mod/Rebalance folder there are OfficerName and OfficerSurname files which override the list of randomly generated officer names. While not a perfect solution, you could add in some of the names above to have a chance at getting them. Truly supporting this would require more extensive work though, especially trying to get the portraits somewhat close.

good mod acctually,charge system is very impressive,charge the flank is useful.but a brigade with 3000 man can route several brigades with 1500 man seems not very reasonable。although the effect of the charge depends on several factor like the morale and strength,but the ifluence of the number seems quiet large and implausible just like chasing and killing pigs.so i suggest that if the number of the charge brigade is much larger than the charged one,just reduce the damage and accelerate the flight speed of the brigade.

In the mod the larger and more experienced brigade is more likely to win the melee against multiple smaller brigades if the total numbers are equal. Getting flanking fire into charging brigades is very important early on to deal with the larger AI brigades. The high kill rate is somewhat necessary to balance out the condition cost of charging. If damage drops then melee steadily becomes less useful overall. We are working on a new capture/shatter system that will hopefully move melee into a better spot.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, KeithD said:

I’m tinkering with the configuration to see if I can get this mod perfect for me: I’m not hardcore - MG is my level, I don’t game the game, I like historical size units, and I like to try and approach the plan of the battle in the way the historical commanders did.  One thing that is bugging me is the way AI skirmishes charge infantry brigades.  Is there a way to dial their AI enthusiasm back so skirmishes behave like skirmishes?

Unfortunately, I don't think there any built in ways to configure that without getting into dll editing. The mod already applies a 15% melee damage penalty to skirmishers which impacts the AI's decision making on when to charge. This probably needs to be looked at more in a future patch.