Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 3/18/2021 1.27.3d


Recommended Posts

On 3/18/2021 at 11:31 PM, pandakraut said:


- Cavalry and skirmishers can now use the run key to turn skirmish mode on and off.

If the answer to this is buried somewhere in this thread, then apologies.....

....but I've been trying to understand what the impact of skirmish mode being off is..... how does it affect unit behaviour?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gameplay Rebalance and Customizations created by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut Discord Link: https://discord.gg/NmHUGvq 3/18/2021 Updated to 1.27.3d  1.27.3d Highlights   - All

Gettysburg, Monocacy, Antietam, New Market - selected views: Gettysburg, First day position of Stone's Brigade at McPherson's Farm This would have been the view the advancing Confederates had

You can start with 7 training. This gives the union nearly 1 star recruits and the CSA ~1.5 star recruits. Though currently starting with econ and logistics and just buying cannon and fielding 24p and

Posted Images

17 hours ago, parmenio said:

If the answer to this is buried somewhere in this thread, then apologies.....

....but I've been trying to understand what the impact of skirmish mode being off is..... how does it affect unit behaviour?

So skirmish mode is the default behavior that cavalry and skirmishers use. For skirmishers it basically is a check that if the unit is reloading and has equal or less range than the unit it is firing at, it will fall back. Once it's finished reloading it will move forward again to shoot. 

Cavalry will do this and also retreat away from nearby units to say out of range if they don't have a move or attack order.

Many players get frustrated by this logic since they want their units to 'stand still and shoot' but they don't want to keep putting units on hold position. So now the player can turn that bit of logic off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Many players get frustrated by this logic since they want their units to 'stand still and shoot' but they don't want to keep putting units on hold position. So now the player can turn that bit of logic off.

🙂 Thanks for that... I'd found a few comments complaining about it on Steam so that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned after giving Adishee's submod a trial.  He's pursuing some intriguing concepts - interesting work in progress ...

Have now downloaded v.1.27.3d and scanned the notes. Looks like some interesting stuff.  Especially like your use of the opening splash to announce updates.

But a question:  It appears that I cannot SAVE mid-battle.  Is this an artifact, a feature, Did I miss something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dixiePig said:

It appears that I cannot SAVE mid-battle.  Is this an artifact, a feature, Did I miss something?

Saving is disabled in the first phase of the CSA tutorial battle. It should be working as normal anywhere else. If it's not please let me know where there is an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Saving is disabled in the first phase of the CSA tutorial battle.

Gotcha.  Perhaps include that info somewhere in the intro? - as it is a) new, b) non-standard and c) unexpected

Can I also ask ... why? I would assume that tutorial battle is one time when player is entirely likely to want to pause&save.

Playing v.12.73d on MG and enjoying it:  'Spoils of War" does not appear to be as punitive as before (BIG improvement), enemy is feisty, but not overwhelming. I've also capped  across-the-board unit sizes at more-or-less 'historic' levels, which is how I like to play.

Nice improvements!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dixiePig said:

Can I also ask ... why? I would assume that tutorial battle is one time when player is entirely likely to want to pause&save.

It blocks an exploit that is only available in that first phase which I have not found another way to fix. The phase is so short that I didn't think anyone would ever bother saving during it, but apparently people frequently do as you are not the only one who has run into it.

I'll look into adding a tooltip to explain why it is temporarily disabled.

Edited by pandakraut
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not excactly a Question about the Mod..but as i play with it maybe it belongs here.

I saw weapons have different rangeeffevectiveness. How can i determine which weapon is better than another? and what does it excactly say? Should i walk a Unit which is most effective on short range close up? 

How can i determine if i'm in short, long medium range?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Geralt said:

Not excactly a Question about the Mod..but as i play with it maybe it belongs here.

I saw weapons have different rangeeffevectiveness. How can i determine which weapon is better than another? and what does it excactly say? Should i walk a Unit which is most effective on short range close up? 

How can i determine if i'm in short, long medium range?

Short medium and long correspond to 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 of the weapons listed range.

I roughly evaluate weapons by comparing the damage range and the range effectiveness %. If you want to get more detailed I multiply the % by the average damage. 

In general moving closer will always get you more damage though there are a couple exceptions. Whether doing so is a good choice depends a lot on the battlefield situation. Because of this when I'm doing a quick compare I only tend to look at the maximum range percentage for non-artillery weapons.

You can find graphs to help visual this here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E5ZFCAHEY8EyBkEkWIHOfdFlwaYpSDVA00w9a71jq1c/edit?usp=sharing

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok nice, thank you! I just watched your union campaign with 1.24/1.25 and found some differences..specially weaponwise. Are there some that got removed? Like the Percision Musket? or did you use other mods too?

 

also saw you are using specially in the beginning Lt col as division leaders, i tried this - but this gives me massive efficiency and command hits, was there also something changed?

 

btw really nice mod!

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geralt said:

ok nice, thank you! I just watched your union campaign with 1.24/1.25 and found some differences..specially weaponwise. Are there some that got removed? Like the Percision Musket? or did you use other mods too?

 

also saw you are using specially in the beginning Lt col as division leaders, i tried this - but this gives me massive efficiency and command hits, was there also something changed?

 

btw really nice mod!

There have been quite a few changes since I made those videos. Many of them to specifically address problem points I found while playing. I basically stopped that campaign because things had become trivially easy.

The general setups in those videos, and a lot of the basics still mostly apply, but the finer details won't be the same. Officers is a big one here, as division commanders now give a higher percentage of command to the unit and the battles led mechanic has been added so that there are benefits for keeping an officer with the same unit. So in most cases you want a high rank officer in command of the division and use the lower ranking officers for the brigades. Though it can still be useful to put a high rank officer on a brigade if it helps get access to a perk.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jorlaan said:

I have been playing again recently and was trying to play with the two scaling numbers in the AIconfig file. I have moved them up and down but nothing seems to change. Do they only take effect on a new campaign or maybe after I play a battle?

For changes to take affect, you need to save the file, restart the game, and start the battle. On the deployment screen you should see the changes taking affect. If you're still having trouble with these steps, let me know which values you are changing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am changing the AIscalingSizeMultiplier and AIscalingExperienceMultiplier. I was watching some Fisasco games and he set these to .85 down from 1 for his current campaign and I thought maybe this would help me past the brick wall of Shiloh. I'm just really done with this battle.


However after saving and exiting, changing those two things down to .75 because I just wanna be done with it, save and exit the file, load it back up and the enemy numbers and experience have not changed.

I'm definitely changing the aiconfig file in the Rebalance mod folder. I've only got the one mod. Checking just now they even have 1000 more men than last time.

Admittedly I am using a slightly older version of the mod. Might that be a problem? I might actually update to the newest version and try again. Looking at changes it seems a good amount has changed.

Edited by Jorlaan
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jorlaan said:

Admittedly I am using a slightly older version of the mod. Might that be a problem? I might actually update to the newest version and try again. Looking at changes it seems a good amount has changed.

These values should work regardless. Though in 1.27.3 the file extension was changed from .csv to .txt. I would recommend setting the values to 0 to test if you're in the right file. Files are currently located in Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance in case you have a much older version where the path was different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

These values should work regardless. Though in 1.27.3 the file extension was changed from .csv to .txt. I would recommend setting the values to 0 to test if you're in the right file. Files are currently located in Ultimate General Civil War_Data\Mod\Rebalance in case you have a much older version where the path was different.

That's the file I was changing. It didn't do anything time after time.

I have actually updated to the new version and have made the change in the new file to test. I think it's working, I loaded the battle and they seem to be smaller I think. Most enemy units are now ? until I get MUCH closer than before though, is this intended to make recon more important or maybe a glitch of me using an older save upconverted? If it's the former then I can get behind that, recon was something I largely ignored early before. It has its uses but other things seem more important early.

TBH I am considering a whole new campaign anyways with this new patch. Many little things have changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I don't know what what up before but with a clear out of the old files and upgrading to the new version it's all working properly.

I think I can salvage this campaign, my recon is now higher thanks to Shiloh points and I'll have enough to do what I need for Gaines Mill. I start campaigns that end at Shiloh so often, now that I'm past it I don't wanna start again. Turned things down to .8 for Shiloh and back up to 1 after. We'll see how it goes, it's only MJ but hard enough for me it seems.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...