Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

9 minutes ago, Gamelabregistrationisbull said:

That would be a game changer, is there any way to tell me how much time I really got left?

This guide has the timers in the base game, so add ~30% onto the end of those. Some battles that has been overriden to be shorter, but in general you should have plenty of time in most battles in the mod. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1396453437

Many thanks, before posting here I had several promising attempts, each thwarted by the damn time limit (or at least what I thought it to be).

Wenn es dich nicht stoert haette ich noch eine persoehnliche Frage, in deinem YT Video hast du keinen deutschen Akzent aber dein Profil(name) ist voll von Referenzen an D-land, bist du zufaellig Deutsch-Amerikaner? Lebe selbst im Ausland und schreibe auf einer AZERTY Tastatur, kann daher keine Umlaute nutzen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamelabregistrationisbull said:

Wenn es dich nicht stoert haette ich noch eine persoehnliche Frage, in deinem YT Video hast du keinen deutschen Akzent aber dein Profil(name) ist voll von Referenzen an D-land, bist du zufaellig Deutsch-Amerikaner? Lebe selbst im Ausland und schreibe auf einer AZERTY Tastatur, kann daher keine Umlaute nutzen.

Nur ein dummer Name, den ich mir ausgedacht habe, als ich jung war. Das Profilbild war ein glücklicher Zufall von einem Schweizer Cassino, den mir ein Youtube-Zuschauer Jahre später zeigte.

Meine Mutter war Deutschlehrerin, deshalb verbrachte ich viele Sommer in Deutschland und lebte auch dort einige Jahre. Mein geschriebenes Deutsch ist leider furchtbar, aber zumindest kann ich die Sprache noch benutzen.

Edited by pandakraut

Hey so I am trying to get this to work on my Mac and I’m having some issues. I found the way to right click on the app and show package contents and browse local files and i out the download file into the data file but it changes nothing. Do I have to manually replace the sharp file or any other ones?

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 5:45 PM, pandakraut said:

The varianceMode also gives a chance for AI units to be larger or duplicate so with some bad luck you can end up with unwinnable scenarios

Could you tell me (approx.) how likely such an event is? Cause Iam doing a new MG Union campaign atm and in the second part of Shiloh (larkin field, etc) iam facing odds of 1:5 (if not more) soldiers, which makes holding these positions (and not losing too many men) pretty difficult. (I've been holding back on huge units, all my inf is 1500men now.)

On another note, iirc i read somewhere on the forum that the mod makes early Union espcially punishing on MG and Legend.

So I was wondering, is it possible that the mod makes (early) CSA easier than the base game? To be honest the CSA on BG is too easy, after Shiloh I was continously able to outmatch the Union in INF and ART, however I've only played until 2.Bull run, so I was wondering if the CSA campaign is supposed to become more difficult later on.

Edited by Gamelabregistrationisbull
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 10:33 AM, BigIrish82 said:

Hey so I am trying to get this to work on my Mac and I’m having some issues. I found the way to right click on the app and show package contents and browse local files and i out the download file into the data file but it changes nothing. Do I have to manually replace the sharp file or any other ones?

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. These should be the full instructions macs. You'll have to move things manually since the zip files are setup for windows installs.

1) In Steam, right click UGCW and select Properties. 

2) Click local files, then select browse local files

3) right click 'Ultimate General Civil War' and select 'show package contents'

4) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/

a) Place the 'Mod' folder in Contents/

5) navigate (relative path) to /Contents/Resources/Data/

a) Copy the resources.assets file into /Data/

b) Copy the /Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll file from the mod release into the /Managed/ folder, overwriting the existing file

3 hours ago, Gamelabregistrationisbull said:

Could you tell me (approx.) how likely such an event is? Cause Iam doing a new MG Union campaign atm and in the second part of Shiloh (larkin field, etc) iam facing odds of 1:5 (if not more) soldiers, which makes holding these positions (and not losing too many men) pretty difficult. (I've been holding back on huge units, all my inf is 1500men now.)

On another note, iirc i read somewhere on the forum that the mod makes early Union espcially punishing on MG and Legend.

So I was wondering, is it possible that the mod makes (early) CSA easier than the base game? To be honest the CSA on BG is too easy, after Shiloh I was continously able to outmatch the Union in INF and ART, however I've only played until 2.Bull run, so I was wondering if the CSA campaign is supposed to become more difficult later on.

You can find, and change if desired, the probabilities in the AIConfigFile. One word of caution, don't make the duplicate chance to high or you risk crashing the game on the larger battles.

sizeRandomProbability, .15
weaponRandomProbability, 0.2
attributeRandomProbability, 0.3
duplicateRandomProbability, .2

The mod does make Union Shiloh much harder. Those odds are not unusual for the opening phases and a fighting retreat until at least the hornets nest is pretty much mandatory on MG and Legendary. The Union start in general is significantly harder because the perk and experience advantage of the CSA troops matters much more than it did in the base game. The CSA start is relatively easy in comparison, though Newport News, Stay Alert, and Shiloh are not exactly easy either.

In the base game the CSA campaign starts getting harder around Antietam. The Union number advantages and smaller recruit rewards start to add up at that point. Many of the late game battles can turn into brutal meat grinders unless the player has properly prepared their army and is aware of the strategies to avoid taking those casualties. This kicks in more on MG and Legendary, on BG you can get ahead enough that the AI likely never recovers.

Edited by pandakraut
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pandakraut, 

First of all, I am a big fan of your mod, you really keep the game alive for me. 

Only remark I have is about  the charges. I find them pretty overpowered. I started playing a game again and on the first mission a Union some 900 man strong infantry charges my 3 000 man unit. My guys pretty much kill maybe 10 federals before being routed. Is there a way to configure charge damage in config files? I would maybe make them half so deadly.

And I wanted to ask if there is any update of the mod on the horizon? :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, superbastard325 said:

Only remark I have is about  the charges. I find them pretty overpowered. I started playing a game again and on the first mission a Union some 900 man strong infantry charges my 3 000 man unit. My guys pretty much kill maybe 10 federals before being routed. Is there a way to configure charge damage in config files? I would maybe make them half so deadly.

And I wanted to ask if there is any update of the mod on the horizon? :) 

Some factors to consider with who will win melees.

1) Unit size
2) Unit experience
3) Unit perks
4) Unit weapons
5) Morale when starting melee
6) Condition when starting melee
7) Equipped weapons
😎 Terrain

Depending on those conditions 900 men could easily route 3000, or the reverse could occur. The base melee damage values are in the /Mod/Rebalance/unitModifiers file. You can compare to the unitModifiersOriginal file to see what the base game values are.

meleeRandLow
meleeRandHi
damageConstantMelee

A variety of changes are in progress, no ETA on when it might be ready for testing or release though.

Thanks for the reply Pandakraut

I made some changes in config files so now I am not having any more trouble with charges. Since I always play legendary, these melee charges have always been a bit too much for me to handle so the only way was to save/load a lot to abort  the charges but that felt like cheating a bit. 

I reduced the size of all formations to half for me and AI, so now I have enough manpower to replenish my troops even with bigger losses. 

I am looking forward to the next update of course, bin gespannt :)

• Like 1

Hey guys, 

I just started a new confederate campaign with the latest mod and playing on MG. I have made it through the first couple of battles and its been tough going but that is what MG is for right? Anyways I have noticed that my artillery units are getting routinely slaughtered in most battles losing 100+ men and 6+ guns. I have them screened by infantry and as always I am judicious in counter battery operations. I have the pretty standard mix of naps, ordnance, 6pdrs, I got lucky and captured 14 x James rifles. I am running 16 cannon per unit and they all have one star and I chose to go with the horse artillery perk as I value the tactical flexibility to quickly move. I have never encountered this regular blood letting of my artillery units before in earlier mods. Also there have been precious few guns actually available even with 4 points in the skill point that increases stocks in the armory for purchase. I did a cursory check and havent noticed anything highlighting major revamps of artillery; I'm sure that I am missing something. Thanks as always!

Derek 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D_Guns said:

Hey guys, 

I just started a new confederate campaign with the latest mod and playing on MG. I have made it through the first couple of battles and its been tough going but that is what MG is for right? Anyways I have noticed that my artillery units are getting routinely slaughtered in most battles losing 100+ men and 6+ guns. I have them screened by infantry and as always I am judicious in counter battery operations. I have the pretty standard mix of naps, ordnance, 6pdrs, I got lucky and captured 14 x James rifles. I am running 16 cannon per unit and they all have one star and I chose to go with the horse artillery perk as I value the tactical flexibility to quickly move. I have never encountered this regular blood letting of my artillery units before in earlier mods. Also there have been precious few guns actually available even with 4 points in the skill point that increases stocks in the armory for purchase. I did a cursory check and havent noticed anything highlighting major revamps of artillery; I'm sure that I am missing something. Thanks as always!

Derek 

One of the recent changes was that AI rifled artillery will prioritize firing at player artillery if it can. The only way to avoid this is to stay out of range, stay hidden, or threaten the enemy artillery by getting another unit within 800 or so range.

There were also some changes made to stealth so that units firing continuously will have a stacking stealth penalty and the AI will get a bonus to spot when a unit takes damage. We can't make the AI more likely to go check a location they are taking fire from, so this is a compromise to help make it harder for the player to kill the AI without any response.

The above changes do make it harder to use smoothbore artillery effectively, as they have to be kept much further back from your infantry to avoid taking losses. Some adjustments to that will likely be needed in the next version.

Are you buying up all the stock of cannon you want before each grand battle? At 4 logistics you should be able to build up a decent amount of cannon fairly quickly doing that. The initial stocks are reduced by the mod but your logistics should be mostly compensating for that change with that many points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, facu_082 said:

Excellent mod. Are new updates planned? I mean, do you plan to make more improvements? or is it a final version?

Glad you're enjoying the mod :)

Another update is in the works, though no ETA on when it might be ready. Plenty of things we would like to improve or add for now.

7 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Glad you're enjoying the mod :)

Another update is in the works, though no ETA on when it might be ready. Plenty of things we would like to improve or add for now.

What kind of things are you thinking of improving? I have worked on other mods, maybe I can help.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, facu_082 said:

What kind of things are you thinking of improving? I have worked on other mods, maybe I can help.

Implementing a new shatter/surrender at 0 morale system, balance pass on carbines, adding a magazine system so that repeaters are actually useful are some of the changes that are already mostly implemented. A lot of the rest is a variety of bug fixes and other minor issues at the moment.

Modding work for this game is all done using dnspy and hexediting. For getting started on dll editing you'll need to I'd recommend just looking around the decompiled dll to get familiar with what is there. Dnspy will also allow you to export to solution, so you can do a directory compare between the base game and the mod to see what the current set of changes are. There are some decent guides available on how to get dnspy to work with unity games out there.

A guide to where some commonly edited hex values are in the game is available here: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26225-weapon-and-perk-modding-guide/

Edited by pandakraut

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, sol_ilya said:

First general's trait for 25% melee bonus to charge. Is this bonus apllied everytime when unit in melee combat, or only when unit is ordered to charge?

This bonus applies only when a unit is in the actual charge state.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

This isn't something that is currently configurable. Can you give me an idea of what you're trying to accomplish?

Thanks for responding and cool mod by the way. You had me at horse artillery...:-)

I was just trying to see if I could "cheat" a bit and keep my morale from plummeting so my guys wouldn't route/shatter as quickly while using your mod.

I played with ConfigFile.csv:

meleeMoraleImpact, 1
firearmsMoraleImpact, 1

but they mod both sides not just the human side.  They would be perfect if they just mod'd the human side.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing the rebalance mod for about a month now, learning how it works.  It is a great advancement over the base game.

Brig General is way to weak to be enjoyable and Maj General is way to hard.  I decided to change a few numbers in the AIconfig file to set lower maximum size limits on the AI.  Worked like a charm and I actually felt I had a chance to win 1st Bull Run.  The problem is that something changed and skirmishers are no longer able to use infantry weapons.  I didn't intentionally turn that off.  I have uninstalled the game and Steam from my pc and then reinstalled Steam, Ultimate General and the rebalance mod.  I still can't use infantry weapons with skirmishers.  Any suggestions as to what my problem is?

The lines I changed were;

AIArtilleryMaxSize 1250
AIInfantryMaxSize 6000
AICavalryMaxSize 2000
AISkirmisherMaxSize 1000
AIOtherMaxSize 640

I set them to 1000/1800/750/750/???

Changing them back did not fix the problem.

The path to the file is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 10:05 PM, BadgerFan said:

Brig General is way to weak to be enjoyable and Maj General is way to hard.  I decided to change a few numbers in the AIconfig file to set lower maximum size limits on the AI.  Worked like a charm and I actually felt I had a chance to win 1st Bull Run.  The problem is that something changed and skirmishers are no longer able to use infantry weapons.  I didn't intentionally turn that off.  I have uninstalled the game and Steam from my pc and then reinstalled Steam, Ultimate General and the rebalance mod.  I still can't use infantry weapons with skirmishers.  Any suggestions as to what my problem is?

Sorry I missed this and glad you got it working again. Skirmishers using infantry weapons is a pretty jury rigged setup in the code, so you have to have at least one infantry unit created for it to work.

My recommendation for tweaking the difficulty is to use the AIscalingSizeMultiplier, though adjusting the unit size limits certainly works as well. This will let you adjust the size of enemy units up or down. In the next release a similar modifier will be added to adjust their experience so that it's easier to find the middle ground of whatever difficulty you are looking for. 

Edited by pandakraut

I hope to God that the new update reduces the spam charges. As it stands, BG is way too easy and MG is way too hard. I love the concepts of the mod, but I want to be challenged while not doomed. Previous versions were better in my opinion, though Shiloh has always been nearly impossible at MG as a Confederate.