Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

15 minutes ago, rtello45 said:

Thanks Panda for the quick reply. Found that after I had posted but good to know I didn't break anything.  How do you change the scenario times? I know you said you increased them by 30% to account for the other changes.

timerMandatoryMultiplier, timerRecommendedMultiplier, and endOfDayMultiplier. Though several battles have hardcoded exceptions that will take precedence over any config file changes. What are you trying to accomplish?

Hello ! I would love to try your mod that looks great but I think I have a problem and I don't understand why because I normally install the mod. When I start a new campaign the game slows down a lot. The walking and shooting animations of the units freeze and the riders don't even go faster than the infantrymen.
Do you have an idea please ? Is it normal maybe (but I saw a video with the mod where the game was perfectly fluid) ?

Edited by Goldenfall

Aaah, I understand. I guess you did that to emphasize realism and avoid fanciful troop movements. I admit that personally it's a bit slow for me ; suddenly, the solution is simple: I play in speed X2 ^^
All other changes are excellent and renew the game, thank you for your quick response.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goldenfall said:

Aaah, I understand. I guess you did that to emphasize realism and avoid fanciful troop movements. I admit that personally it's a bit slow for me ; suddenly, the solution is simple: I play in speed X2 ^^
All other changes are excellent and renew the game, thank you for your quick response.

I spend a decent amount of time in 2x as well. It can take a bit to get used to and it's also changeable in the config files as well.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the complaints about Shiloh on MG. The most I can get on the field is about 30k troops, two 2-star infantry, plenty of quality troops ... there is just no way to win. I've tried about ten times, gone back to refight the campaign three times to optmise my army, and just now spent about eight hours straight trying over and over again.

This shit is really broken to be honest. It's not fun. You can't beat it and even if you manage to, it would just boil down to some fluke or blind luck or some anomaly with the game. I had no problem getting through Shiloh with the base game. Something is wrong here imo.

3 hours ago, adishee said:

Is there a way to edit a file in order to  just somehow bypass Shiloh? Because at this point, I can no longer even play the game + mod.

You could go in the AIConfig file in the mod and change these lines :

AIArtilleryMaxSize, 1250
AIInfantryMaxSize, 6000
AICavalryMaxSize, 2000
AISkirmisherMaxSize, 1000
AIOtherMaxSize, 640

to a value of 1...it will make the enemy army spawn with 1 troops in each brigade.

Just make sure NOT to use a mid battle save.

After Shiloh you can just change them back to defaults.(write them down or copy the file before you change it)

Thanks joxer. I've changed the CSA army size to something a bit more historically accurate (Union apparently outnumbered CSA after the Army of Ohio reinforcements arrived). Currently playing through it again and having a lot more fun -- still very challenging, but no more 9k-man bayonet charges on my 120-man skirmisher unit levels of absurdity. I'll change it back after I get through it.

Edited by adishee

18 hours ago, adishee said:

I have to agree with the complaints about Shiloh on MG. The most I can get on the field is about 30k troops, two 2-star infantry, plenty of quality troops ... there is just no way to win. I've tried about ten times, gone back to refight the campaign three times to optmise my army, and just now spent about eight hours straight trying over and over again.

This shit is really broken to be honest. It's not fun. You can't beat it and even if you manage to, it would just boil down to some fluke or blind luck or some anomaly with the game. I had no problem getting through Shiloh with the base game. Something is wrong here imo.

Hello together

i have won shiloh on MG

on 2 the 3 phase i retreat as musch as possible into the north.

The AI dont go after me, so i wait until the timer go to  zero then i defend in the base and i was able to hold pitthburg landing.

stats Union: start 47000 men losses 13500

CSA: start 47000 men losses 38500

but i must say that i have big luck that the AI dont case me for long time

phase 1 was a absolutly slaughter...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adishee said:

Well done sirwaldi. I gave up trying and edited config files. The game certainly has a lot of longevity trying to get through it on MG ... I really wish there was a multiplayer capability. 

After shiloh everything is going better

i have very fast bring Politics to 10

i think this very important in the game

my tip is also to make a simply charge unit and max them out (at the moment 4500 men by me)  to tanke the enemy fire, only tanking it

i take there the cheapest rifels

its working fine at the moment

On 8/23/2019 at 11:00 AM, rtello45 said:

I wanted to change the scenario time because I don't always have the time in real life to spend but I don't want to give up on the game.  Thanks for your help.

In the ConfigFile there is a gameSpeed variable that can be changed to 5 and a fastForward value that can be changed to 3. This will restore the battle speed to that of the base game.

• Like 1

Having issues with Shiloh at MG level as CSA. 

Problems seems to be with the timer. The 2 times I've captured the VP at Pittsburg landing with 33 mins and 20 mins left on the timer on my attempts. The game just proceeds to the next day when there is roughly 17 minutes left on the clock. No warning no nothing. How long must you control the VP before you get the green check mark to satisfy the mission objective?

I was able to annihilate the Union on the Shiloh Church portion of the map and shattered several brigades on the Spanish field side. Was able to do this with minimal losses. At the Pittsburg landing fortifications  ran into 2 3k and 6 2k brigades along with 2 585 cannon brigades. Man are they tough nuts to crack.  Then the reinforcements arrives from the north which I'm able to isolate consisting of 2 2.5k and one 3k infantry and 1 500 arty. And dispatch them without issue.

But I can't win due to the timer just cutting it short for no foreseeable reason. 

Edited by Lach
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lach said:

Having issues with Shiloh at MG level as CSA. 

Problems seems to be with the timer. The 2 times I've captured the VP at Pittsburg landing with 33 mins and 20 mins left on the timer on my attempts. The game just proceeds to the next day when there is roughly 17 minutes left on the clock. No warning no nothing. How long must you control the VP before you get the green check mark to satisfy the mission objective?

I was able to annihilate the Union on the Shiloh Church portion of the map and shattered several brigades on the Spanish field side. Was able to do this with minimal losses. At the Pittsburg landing fortifications  ran into 2 3k and 6 2k brigades along with 2 585 cannon brigades. Man are they tough nuts to crack.  Then the reinforcements arrives from the north which I'm able to isolate consisting of 2 2.5k and one 3k infantry and 1 500 arty. And dispatch them without issue.

But I can't win due to the timer just cutting it short for no foreseeable reason. 

The landing VP contested timer is about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. The VP cannot be contested when the main timer hits 0. 

Any chance you can provide a screenshot of shortly before the battle seems to end early? There is a known bug in the base game that sometimes when you fulfill all the conditions and click finish you get sent to day 2. But if you don't click finish and wait a few seconds the battle will end with a win.

4 hours ago, Lach said:

I will see if I can get you a scene shot next it happens or will let you know if I get past it. Shiloh is hard and frustrating, but is also fun in its own way. 

It is definitely a challenge, especially on the harder difficulties. Unlike many battles in the game you can't necessarily get away with the same things that you can in other battles.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:27 PM, adishee said:

@adisheeIf you would like to see how I completed the battle on legendary, my play through of it is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RO1pcRGkrg

The mod in general, and Shiloh in particular is intended to be significantly harder than the base game. While getting used to the mod I would normally recommend starting out on the difficulty below whatever you are comfortable with in the base game. 

While it looks like you already found a way to bypass the battle, some other suggestions for config changes that can make the mod a bit easier are changing disableSkirmishers and varianceMode to false. This will provide you with the extra flexibility(and all the exploits) from the skirmishers and provide a more standardized experience. The variance option can be fun, but with enough bad luck it can absolutely give you scenarios that are unwinnable. While intended, that can lead to more frustration in certain battles than all players are looking for.

Thanks for responding, PK. I kinda regret writing what I wrote, I was just really frustrated. Obviously the mod is meant to jack up the difficulty a lot. I absolutely love the mod in general, and the mechanics changes. I'm still tinkering with the config files + difficulty settings + some house rules to try and find a play style I like. I've watched a lot of your and Fiasco's videos, and they're instructive.

I'm wondering, is there a setting in the config files to increase the AI player's experience growth? I'm playing as Union, and I'm trying to get the effect of playing a more experienced CSA army with a more numerous, recruit-heavy Union army -- kind of a historical-ish play through. I couldn't get the desired outcome tinkering with things on MG, they all just turned into SS super soldiers who still outnumbered the shit out of my forces. (One of my house rule is that I never revert to saves -- all decisions, including camp selections, are final).

cheers and thank you

Edited by adishee
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, adishee said:

Thanks for responding, PK. I kinda regret writing what I wrote, I was just really frustrated. Obviously the mod is meant to jack up the difficulty a lot. I absolutely love the mod in general, and the mechanics changes. I'm still tinkering with the config files + difficulty settings + some house rules to try and find a play style I like. I've watched a lot of your and Fiasco's videos, and they're instructive.

I'm wondering, is there a setting in the config files to increase the AI player's experience growth? I'm playing as Union, and I'm trying to get the effect of playing a more experienced CSA army with a more numerous, recruit-heavy Union army -- kind of a historical-ish play through. I couldn't get the desired outcome tinkering with things on MG, they all just turned into SS super soldiers who still outnumbered the shit out of my forces. (One of my house rule is that I never revert to saves -- all decisions, including camp selections, are final).

Frustration is understandable, you are definitely not alone in having difficulties with the current version. Playing a form of ironman the way you are is also going to add a significant amount of difficulty, so beware that it is entirely possible that you could dead end a campaign that way.

The settings you want for experience gain are in the unitModifiers.csv. killsPerEffectivity, killsPerMelee, movePerStamina, shootPerFirearms, and timePerMorale control the rate that stats increase. You can compare to the unitModifiersOriginalValues file to see what the rates were in the base game.

The original goal for 1.25 was that veterans would be so expensive that they could only be used sparingly. This would generally force the player to rely on recruits. Experience rates went up from 1.24 to allow stats to go up overall despite the primary use of recruits. Not sure how well this is working overall, but that was the original idea.