Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

I would aim for most of your infantry brigades being at 1k. A few can be smaller if you're using up available weapons but as you noted most of them need to be larger so they can absorb some casualties.

I will start with utilizing your strategy for Crossroads to see if I can get Union casualties down below 1,000; that will give me more manpower in several ways. Less spent on replacing veterans, and more dollars for new recruits, etc.

Then try something slightly different for Bull Run to see what can reduce casualties to I Corp..

One I experiment with those battles.. replay it all up through Shiloh :)

4 minutes ago, BCH said:

One I experiment with those battles.. replay it all up through Shiloh :)

Yep, that's the way to do it when you're having trouble.

I might be able to have a Bull Run video up by the end of the weekend. Going to see if I can win it while bringing in only 8 units. If that doesn't work then I'll drop getting extra cannon for Shiloh and just go with 10 units instead. 

One of my other experiments will be to try to use the swamp, which is just slightly Northwest of Shiloh Church, as an early trap for CSA brigades.

In one of my previous play throughs several CSA brigades followed a withdrawing Union brigade into the swamp and ended up being annihilated because they could not effectively maneuver.

39 minutes ago, BCH said:

One of my other experiments will be to try to use the swamp, which is just slightly Northwest of Shiloh Church, as an early trap for CSA brigades.

In one of my previous play throughs several CSA brigades followed a withdrawing Union brigade into the swamp and ended up being annihilated because they could not effectively maneuver.

Yeah, that location is a deathtrap if you can get them there.

6 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Yeah, that location is a deathtrap if you can get them there.

That does work well.. lured the CSA brigades into a classic L shaped ambush, completely eliminated a 556 man CSA cavalry unit in a single volley, shades of the charge of the light brigade.

For the experiment, I just played with the Union Army with the mostly 500 to 600 man brigades.. almost won. I held on long enough to have the large Union reinforcements arrive at the Landing. I did not bother to move my right flank (I Corp 1st Div. et al) up to the Landing, because I was seeing what it took to lure brigades into the trap.

Probably should have flanked the CSA left with a couple of the large Union reinforcements.. CSA units that might have normally been there were getting shot up by I Corp et al.

As I look at the save, two Union brigades could have rolled up the flank and pushed the CSA brigades away from the objective.

Hate to say it.. it was a really fun loss.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, pandakraut said:

You'll probably have to engage your infantry directly a bit to take the point but sub 1k casualties is very achievable.

Yep.. that worked very well.. also trapped and destroyed the CSA cavalry brigade.

Edited by BCH
delete image

Hi

Do you intend to update the mod in the near future (like one or two weeks)?

I specifically need the "unit size damage fall-off" to be corrected and the unit size/damage curve become almost linear (just like what it is in the "UI and AI mod")...

4 hours ago, Taqtaq said:

Hi

Do you intend to update the mod in the near future (like one or two weeks)?

I specifically need the "unit size damage fall-off" to be corrected and the unit size/damage curve become almost linear (just like what it is in the "UI and AI mod")...

Unfortunately no. The problem with replacing the curves in the mod is that it breaks the damage system and reworking it has been slow going. 

Currently you can mostly ignore the size curves for infantry. Skirmishers either want to max out at 375 or go all the way to 1k. With artillery I'd either max at 14 or go up to 40+.

Hey PK, I've always wondered why the game doesn't start with the full complement of historical officers available in the Barracks from the start of the Campaign? I'd much rather grow my Army commanded by the better known leaders on both sides. That way I can follow their success (or failure) from the start rather than wait for them to pop up later in the campaign to bought using reputation. Anyway that could be bypassed? Thx!

I must say, Shiloh is frustrating enough with the scaling; but the CSA capture of the Landing point when they have no brigades north or near the defenses is really aggravating.  I put Union brigade after Union brigade on the point itself and could not even start the re-capture of it.

Time for a Guinness.. or two, or more.

2 hours ago, civsully1 said:

Hey PK, I've always wondered why the game doesn't start with the full complement of historical officers available in the Barracks from the start of the Campaign? I'd much rather grow my Army commanded by the better known leaders on both sides. That way I can follow their success (or failure) from the start rather than wait for them to pop up later in the campaign to bought using reputation. Anyway that could be bypassed? Thx!

From a purely technical perspective setting this up in a mod would be difficult.

From a gameplay perspective, giving the player access a large list of historical officers from the outset invalidates part of the campaign progression. Acquiring and leveling up those officers is part of the challenge.

Well Shiloh is over.. nasty, brutal battle that went right down to the last second. Casualties were high for the Union, make that extremely high.

II Corp was decimated holding their respective flank waiting for Buell's reinforcements to arrive, only two batteries survived to fight another day.

I Corp, 1st Div. is completely intact but battered. 2nd Div. is completely gone except for a 2 star battery.  3rd Div. two batteries left. 4th Div. one battery left. 5th Div, destroyed with their commander.

Most losses occurred holding the Landing waiting for Buell. Brigades down to 300 from 1,000 faced off CSA brigades of 2-3,000 and blunted charges while Union batteries focus fired.

The counter was down to 0:03 before I thought.. gee, might have actually won. 

Edited by BCH
delete image
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BCH said:

Well Shiloh is over.. nasty, brutal battle that went right down to the last second. Casualties were high for the Union, make that extremely high.

Good work. If you can piece together an army from what you have left you should be able to make it through the rest.

On Gaines Mills at the moment..

Seven Pines was a lot tougher than expected; I am fielding a full compliment for Gaines Mills, but more veterans would have been nice.

time will tell.

a bit of luck at Phase I of Gaines Mills.. I sent two cavalry brigades to the CSA rear.. caught A.P. Hill with his baggage train undefended; captured the wagons, and A.P.Hill is no longer in the field  :)

Edited by BCH
add'l text
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BCH said:

On Gaines Mills at the moment..

Seven Pines was a lot tougher than expected; I am fielding a full compliment for Gaines Mills, but more veterans would have been nice.

time will tell.

a bit of luck at Phase I of Gaines Mills.. I sent two cavalry brigades to the CSA rear.. caught A.P. Hill with his baggage train undefended; captured the wagons, and A.P.Hill is no longer in the field  :)

Hi,

Near that stage myself.

May I ask what level are playing on.

Thanks

Playing on MG level; I suspect I will need to replay Seven Pines and try to reduce casualties in order to be successful at Gaines Mills.

However, I am going to try some new tactics at Gaines Mills with what I currently have for troops before that.

2 hours ago, contact said:

Hi,

Near that stage myself.

May I ask what level are playing on.

Thanks

Hi,

Many thanks.

Have just played Seven Pines. I’m also on MG level.

I decided to field a small force. Looking to the troops already deployed there to take the brunt of the fighting. Saving my troops.

I fielded just 8,351 infantry. I wanted to keep my best and we’ll armed troops for Gaines. So I raised a brigade of 2000, armed only with rebored  Farmers, which I noticed was in my Arsenal. The other 5 Brigades were numbered from 1200 up to just 1400 men. All armed with M1842.

The 2000 strong Brigade was placed in the centre. Just behind the Victory location in some buildings. With hold orders.

Back up for two small Brigades in front of only about 650 men each. But well armed.

I decided to place two of my small Brigades on my left flank in the woods. To hold. The three other Brigades numbered 1400, 1350 and 1200 strong. Placed on my right flank. I had decided to look to roll up the Reb left flank and hold else where.

The plan worked better than I expected. To my surprise one of the main reasons for me was my raw 2000 strong Brigade ! The Rebs attacked the victory condition. My raw Brigade was superb ! Providing good support for the better Brigades in front. Enabling them to hold.

The Rebs did attack my left flank but were held. More Rebs were used to attack my centre. But I then started to push in from my right flank, broke the Reb Brigade which had turned to counter me. This enabled me to start to roll up the Rebs left flank.

Where possibly always used the troops supplied rather than mine !

Total Union troops were 14696 infantry with 15 guns. I do love a battle where I can use troops other than my own !

The Rebs fielded 16494 infantry and 15 guns.

Casualties were :-  Union infantry 4442               CSA        12145 infantry 

1 gun 10 men.                              10 guns 249 men

1344 missing 

My surprise is the 2000 strong Brigade armed only with rebored Farmers. But being in a good defensive position and firing at close range. With the high damage rating of 18 proved great. Has made me think there maybe a place for such troops in the right position. Especially as they are cheap !

I will now start to build my army for Gaines.

Would be interested to hear how Gaines goes for you.

Best wishes.

Edited by contact
Error
  • Like 1

Nice tactic for Seven Pines..

Gaines Mill is a complete disaster so far.. scaling is as bad as Shiloh..  Union infantry was out numbered 4:1. If, the Union II Corp arrives, it would be 2:1 odds with no casualties, but of course there are considerable casualties.

(60.335 CSA Inf. vs. 12,950 Union Inf, I Corp)

I seem to lose Officers at a higher frequency when playing on the MG lvl; is is a feature of the mod?

Edited by BCH
add'l text

1 hour ago, BCH said:

I seem to lose Officers at a higher frequency when playing on the MG lvl; is is a feature of the mod?

There are no changes to the officer wounding or kill chances in the current version of the mod. You take more damage on MG so there are more chances for it to occur is all.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

There are no changes to the officer wounding or kill chances in the current version of the mod. You take more damage on MG so there are more chances for it to occur is all.

bad luck then.. thanks for the response

12 hours ago, BCH said:

Nice tactic for Seven Pines..

Gaines Mill is a complete disaster so far.. scaling is as bad as Shiloh..  Union infantry was out numbered 4:1. If, the Union II Corp arrives, it would be 2:1 odds with no casualties, but of course there are considerable casualties.

(60.335 CSA Inf. vs. 12,950 Union Inf, I Corp)

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Sorry to hear not gone well at Gaines.

I have looked at the report/Intelligence Service, it states the CSA will be at 55-60k. Less 5% for previous encounter.

I have had a rough look and expect to field somewhere in the region of 40000 men in all.

I am looking to field in the region of 30,000 men for my main Corps. Obviously my 2nd Corps will be much smaller.

Re high loss of officers. It appears to vary for me. Can be high. Then other times not a problem.

Just to advise I am playing on an Apple IMac. There was a recent update. However, it was to do with the graphics and improved AI.

Not that I thought there was a problem there.

Best wishes 

Edited by contact
Error

Finally I've got historically correct (almost!) Gettysburg. It was VERY hard and "very costly"..

At the end, after capturing Little Round Top, I defended it against arrived Union reinforcements (25000+)  with few brigades each around 500-1000 men only! With only 15 guns..

Only the features of the capturing mod saved me..

getty1s.png

getty4s.png

getty6s.png

getty7s_end.png

• Like 2

Nice strategy on Seven Pines;  I will give that a try when I replay Seven Pines.

On Gaines Mill, I am trying the following strategy/tactics: (actually eked out a victory)

Take, but do not try to hold Boatswain's Woods.

Take, but do not hold Boatswain's Hill

Pull all Union brigades back to McGhee Hill, "hold until relieved" , with the exception of two cavalry brigades.

Form a defensive line across McGhee Hill with the right flank anchored in the Eastern woods and back the line with artillery. In my first attempt my line formed a salient which resulted in higher causalities than are perhaps necessary. The next run through I will make a slightly concave line with strong flanks.

Union cavalry brigades are used to spot and harass incoming CSA brigades. Keep them alive, they are vital to the win.Capture supply wagons if it can be done safely, and try to get the supply wagons to McGhee Hill.

CSA brigades will advance and take both objectives and then will move on McGhee Hill; in the beginning they show up piece-meal and end up taking heavy casualties. Eventually they will get their own reinforcements and will mass up for attacks. Union brigades need to be carefully micro-managed because you are greatly out numbered.

The first Union reinforcements were sent to the right flank in order to extend the line and keep CSA units from gaining a position in the Eastern woods. For me this included two 1,500 man brigades, several well armed Skirmisher  brigades, and two batteries of Howitzers (for the close ranged work that will occur).

The two cavalry brigades harassed CSA batteries, and captured two supply wagons (both made it to the Union lines).

The second Union reinforcements were sent to the left flank, and begin to advance on Boatswain's Hill (either the Woods or the Hill must be taken for a win). This action in my last play through drew off most of the CSA brigades defending Boatswain's Hill. These CSA brigades began a counter-attack against the second Union reinforcements which slowly withdraw to pull the CSA units away from the objective.

Down to 0:30 on the counter.. Union cavalry is moved to the West of Boatswains Hill.. they spotted 3 large CSA brigades still in close proximity to the Hill. An empty CSA supply wagon was close enough to be captured. That was used as 'bait' to draw off the CSA brigades (Union cavalry was still un-spotted). As the clock ticked down, the Union cavalry moved into position to retake the Hill. One of the Union brigades was mounted infantry, which were dismounted at the objective. The other brigade was held at the objective with an aim to charge any CSA brigade trying to stop the capture.

A messy victory, very much like Shiloh, going down to the last few seconds.