Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

16 hours ago, Jorlaan said:

You can still load up the situation as it was before the battle by loading the battle auto-save. Or can load the auto camp save from just after the previous battle, so long as you have not yet finished Malvern Hill.

Unfortunately I could not find a prebattle save, for some reason the only save is during the battle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 12:02 AM, mosshadow95 said:

Unfortunately I could not find a prebattle save, for some reason the only save is during the battle.

Lol, but that's all you need. Just load the battle itself, press escape and restart the battle - you will be right before it, can go back into camp and redo whatever you want to.

11 hours ago, civsully1 said:

Dumb question where does the Ultimate General Civil War_Data directory reside on a Windows PC?

If you're using steam it's usually something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War

24 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

So for someone who hasn't loaded this mod or the J&P Rebalence + Surrender mod...which one should we download and use going forward? Thanks in advance!

I would recommend the current version of the J&P Rebalance mod. The combined mod is a bit out of date at this point and was never the most well balanced.

Is there some way to disable the commander in-battle replacement system for KIA/WIA commanders? I find it confusing and it also seems to cause bugs with unpredictably disappearing and appearing officers. On the topic of officers - is it possible to edit the namelist for genericMcGenericface officers? I find it a bit annoying when I have Grant (but not Grant) leading a brigade in the division lead by Jackson (but not Jackson) and supported by the artillery battery led by no one less than Meade himself. Captain Meade. Not specifically a mod issue, I know.

How do you edit names and descriptions of weapons? It's just flavour, but I found them a bit uninspiring and think they could be greatly improved. I've found a lot of really nice sources on the internet (not an expert myself) and think that I could supply more informative descriptions, explaining both historical background, technical design, and ingame capability of various weapons, if this is desired.

How are repeaters meant to work? They do not seem to have superior reload rate, firepower is just slightly higher than late-game rifled musket, and accuracy at long ranges are lower. I don't see how this is balanced, realistic or fun but I might be missing something.

Despite these small issues (which I realize are mostly my personal opinion and not general issues) I really like this mod. I find it a great improvement over the vanilla experience, tilts the experience slightly in 'grognard' direction while still being pretty approachable. It feels amazing when you get your first three-star unit. At the battle of Stones River (Union MG) my three-star musketry-perked infantry brigade stood on that wooded hill just south of the HQ at the Pike and poured an eternal stream of Minies at any greycoat in the fields below, ending up at just below 10000 kills! (yes, that's ten thousand!!). Of course, the greycoats also have three-star units, and they can be just as nasty...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defacto said:

Is there some way to disable the commander in-battle replacement system for KIA/WIA commanders? I find it confusing and it also seems to cause bugs with unpredictably disappearing and appearing officers. On the topic of officers - is it possible to edit the namelist for genericMcGenericface officers? I find it a bit annoying when I have Grant (but not Grant) leading a brigade in the division lead by Jackson (but not Jackson) and supported by the artillery battery led by no one less than Meade himself. Captain Meade. Not specifically a mod issue, I know.

That system isn't configurable currently. I'll have to give it some thought on if I can reasonably make it configurable as it's tied into a bunch of different places. Can you elaborate more on any bugs you are experiencing with it? The more specifics the better.

The namelist is probably in one of the hex files somewhere but I don't know where. I might be able to override it in the game code, but at best I'd either be flagging specific names or printing the whole list out and reading it back in again minus a few entries. 

How do you edit names and descriptions of weapons? It's just flavour, but I found them a bit uninspiring and think they could be greatly improved. I've found a lot of really nice sources on the internet (not an expert myself) and think that I could supply more informative descriptions, explaining both historical background, technical design, and ingame capability of various weapons, if this is desired.

These are currently modified in the resources.assets file with a hex editor. We are severely limited in the number of characters we can use hence the abbreviated names and shortened descriptions. The next version will have overrides for at least the descriptions and possibly the weapon names so we should be able to be a bit more descriptive there. I'm not sure what the full weapon list will be for the next version, but once we get to that point we'll be open to suggestions. 

How are repeaters meant to work? They do not seem to have superior reload rate, firepower is just slightly higher than late-game rifled musket, and accuracy at long ranges are lower. I don't see how this is balanced, realistic or fun but I might be missing something.

The game's enforced volley system limits what we can do with them. The current setup represents the higher fire rate by just increasing the damage. We're experimenting with other options in the next release that should hopefully make them a bit more unique from standard rifles and more useful overall in the game. From what I recall spencers and spencer carbines are pretty effective. Fighting them certainly wasn't much fun. Has your experience been different?

Thanks for the feedback and glad you're mostly enjoying the mod :)

Hello Panda

can you please tell where exactly i find the Save games!

i wanna Transfer the savegames from on Computer to a second but i cant find them

C:\Users\[Insert User Name]\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate General Civil War\Save is where the files live.

C:\Users\[Insert User Name]    weiter als hier her komme ich nicht mehr...

26 minutes ago, sirwaldi said:

Hello Panda

can you please tell where exactly i find the Save games!

i wanna Transfer the savegames from on Computer to a second but i cant find them

C:\Users\[Insert User Name]\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate General Civil War\Save is where the files live.

C:\Users\[Insert User Name]    weiter als hier her komme ich nicht mehr...

Are there any folders under C:\Users? Usually you should see options like Default, Public, and a folder related to the name the computer is associated with.

C:\Users\[Insert User Name

then i see this folders

origin

qtwebengineprocess

3d Objekte

Bilder

Desktop

Dokumente

Downloads

Favoriten

gespeicherte spiele

kontakte linke

Musik

One Drive

Suchvorgänge

Videos

die meisten der Ordner sind leer...

4 hours ago, pandakraut said:

AppData is a hidden folder, if you're on windows 10 here are the instructions to display those: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

Instructions would be slightly different if you're on a different version of windows.

Thank you so much. ist working! 😃😃

Thank you for the LINK!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is kinda funny.. It looks like the rifles are advanced to WWI era.

I always finish the battle not because of the timer, but because of no enemy, all killed/escaped or surrendered. Sometimes one brigade can manage to kill 10000+ enemies,

even skirmishers could kill 5000+ for one battle. It's totally unreal..

Battles always turn to massacre of enemy. AI is so passive, it does not control its flanks, so Cannes happened all the time.

Antietam is for example (attached).

antietam.png

antietam2.png

3 hours ago, nik_nv said:

This mod is kinda funny.. It looks like the rifles are advanced to WWI era.

I always finish the battle not because of the timer, but because of no enemy, all killed/escaped or surrendered. Sometimes one brigade can manage to kill 10000+ enemies,

even skirmishers could kill 5000+ for one battle. It's totally unreal..

Battles always turn to massacre of enemy. AI is so passive, it does not control its flanks, so Cannes happened all the time.

What difficulty are you playing on? Given the numbers you have by Antietam it looks like you probably need to bump up the difficulty one or two ranks. 

Infantry weapon damage is generally much lower than what is available in the base game unless you are taking nothing but accuracy perks. Usually feedback is that they don't do enough damage.

1 hour ago, nik_nv said:

I play with middle difficulty. Well ok, I will try the hard one, let's see the changes.

In combination with surrender mod, the game a little more adequate. At least the enemy surrenders instead of just die 😁

The mod was originally designed for the legendary difficulty. Finding the right balance for players of different skill levels has proven difficult, so several of the changes that would increase the challenge aren't turned on or are limited on the normal difficulty. MG or Legendary should mostly solve your issue of the AI being to passive.

In the next version we are trying out a new damage system that should hopefully result in more surrenders and less sky high kill rates. Progress has been slow at the moment so no release date for that at the moment though.

First of all I want to say you are doing a great job with this mod... just keep it up 😃

Now... to the matter at hand... I've been playing this game for almost 2 and a half years now and started Union campaign on Major General Difficulty... Oh man, what a reality hit I got...Had to restart intro mission for several times just to get to phase 2 and massive Rebel counterattack...The second mission (where I had to protect the supply forts) proved to be difficult and challenging also...Not to mention First bull Run... But somehow i managed to do it... And then... Enter the great AI charge yo to death battle also known as Shiloh... Oh man... Number of times Rebels made me new one on that map is beyond count... But it makes the game extremely challenging...

After few takes i concluded that I am probably doing something wrong (most likely the worst mistake was allocation of my career points prior to Shiloh) so I started MJ Campaign as Confederates also... That one is going without too much trouble which tells me that my tactics as the Union are also sound. By tactics i refer to fluid defense, always seeking the flanks of charging enemy, using the supporting brigades when I do get charged... However with Shiloh battle there seem to be 2 major issues (that can't be influenced by player):

1. number o 2 and 3 star units for Rebels is simply too much... I don't mind being outnumbered and facing 3-5 k brigades rushing towards my lines but the fact remains that many Confederate Brigades are capable of withstanding 3 point blank canister rounds from multiple batteries (some on their flanks) and too much musket volleys (again from multiple brigades)...The amount of time and resources required to break those 2 and 3 star brigades when doing everything right is simply ridiculous. And I am not taking into consideration people who chose to play with static defense instead of using in depth defense.

2. players success at the moment depends too much on one of the following:

• favorable deployment of Rebel AI troops - this essentially means if AI decides to group larger number of brigades on a single focal point (on the creek below the Shiloh church) then a player has a good chance of deflecting his charges (at least for some time) using advance and fall back tactics. If Rebels deploy in 2 brigades deep across the line going east to west there is no way a player can defend the line as there is no possibility to focus fire from batteries or advancing brigades to exploit flanks of the enemy without risking breach in several spots in the lines.
  • mass overuse and spam of skirmisher units which basically breaks the AI and is in a sense a cheat or a hack as it exploits faults in AI's programming because for whatever reason AI will not charge or push into skirmishers as much as in light infantry. AI is content to keep its distance and engage in a shootout with players skirmishers that are hidden in trees or behind cover which in essence buys player a lot of time (or enough time) to break the enemies one by one.

As it stands now... Shiloh for Union needs a lot of work..because without resorting to exploitation of AI's faults there is hardly anything a player can do to stem the tide of STEROID BRED REBELS that just throw themselves head on in everything that you throw at them...

I don't even have a problem with their big brigades having 2 or 3 stars...but, their morale needs to be tweaked as at the moment they just don't care what shoots at them. They don't need to rout from a single volley, but a wavering and retreating to reorganize for another assault makes way more sense than standing in front of 20 odd guns shooting canister and 4 brigades pouring lead into them.

• Like 1

@Minas Moth Thanks for the feedback. 

I'm a bit surprised to hear that the AI isn't charging skirmishers, that tends to be one of it's favorite things to do in my experience. Are you investing in accuracy perks? Based on your described play style it seems like you really want to be focusing on them so your fire is effective.

Here is what I do for Shiloh on MG for comparison: ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWu7RP5E5c

While it mostly doesn't prove necessary for me on MG, on Legendary I try and hold each line for a while to inflict casualties and then will fall back to a more defensible position before I get overwhelmed. The large amount of skirmishers I bring is largely to cover the infantry as it falls back and counter charge as necessary. On MG I barely use them at all.

The mod was originally designed for the legendary difficulty

Ok, ok, I have got your point. 

Regarding the sizes, it seems the ratio of power between sides is hard-coded in the game for major battles somehow.. So as bigger my army the bigger force I meet.

If it would be possible to make it flexible depending on the player' progress through the story, so it will never be the situation when you destroy a 100k army,

then you meet 150k army in the next battle..

As for brigades size, I suggest to limit it by 2500 for linear infantry for both sides since 3000+ brigades are historically incorrect.

In fact, during the war the north brigades variated between 800 and 1700 men, and south 1400-2000..

Edited by nik_nv

23 minutes ago, nik_nv said:

Regarding the sizes, it seems the ratio of power between sides is hard-coded in the game for major battles somehow.. So as bigger my army the bigger force I meet.

If it would be possible to make it flexible depending on the player' progress through the story, so it will never be the situation when you destroy a 100k army,

then you meet 150k army in the next battle..

The army sizing is somewhat flexible, though there are minimum amounts set for each battle so that the campaign has somewhere to progress through. The more skilled you get at the game, the easier it becomes to completely wipe out enemy armies(even in the base game) so most campaigns would probably historically end at 1st Bull Run. The normal difficulty also tends to have the problem that it rapidly becomes possible to build such a large army that the AI can't compete at all and the later half of the campaign is just a formality. The higher difficulties allow the AI to scale more so it takes longer to reach the point where the campaign becomes easier.

If you'd like more detail on how the AI army sizing works you can check out the scaling section of this post: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

Unfortunately having the campaign be truly dynamic is outside the scope of this game and isn't something we can mod into it. Would probably need something more like an active campaign map like you see in the total war games. Their next game Ultimate Admiral looks to be a step closer to that, so maybe one day we'll get a more dynamic campaign map in a sequel or similar style game.

28 minutes ago, nik_nv said:

As for brigades size, I suggest to limit it by 2500 for linear infantry for both sides since 3000+ brigades are historically incorrect.

In fact, during the war the north brigades variated between 800 and 1700 men, and south 1400-2000..

This is one of the areas where we've decided to sacrifice historical accuracy for gameplay benefits. The brigade size increase allows the AI continue to scale even when the player brings a very large army. In the base game you could max out what the AI could field due the lower caps on unit size and the inability of the game to increase the number of AI brigades. Allowing the player to use larger units as well brings it's own issues, but some players really enjoy that style, so we've enabled it and leave it to each person to decide how they like to build their army. I rarely play with anything over 2k myself and outside of one or two outlier battles never face anything larger than 3k.

As the game currently plays, the other benefit to larger units is the AI just plays better with them. When the AI has units between 800 and 1700 it tends to be less aggressive and easily pushed off. As much as the gameplay style isn't something I really care for, doubling the number of units on the field for both sides and increasing their size into the 4-6k range does make it much harder to take advantage of the AI's shortcomings. 

There are also some configuration options that might help bring the mod to a point that you enjoy it more. In the Mod/Rebalance/AIConfigFile you can change remozeSizeCap to false so that the AI uses the same maximum sizes as the base game. There are also AIInfantryMaxSize, AIArtilleryMaxSize, etc values that can be changed to your own preferences instead of going back to the base game sizes entirely.

Another possibility is trying the base surrender mod itself instead of the combined version. WVPM has it setup so that the larger AI units split up into smaller regiments. This has it's upsides and downsides, but I figured I'd mention it in case that sounds appealing. Hopefully this helps explain some of the settings we are using and you can find an option that you enjoy.

If you'd like more detail on how the AI army sizing works you can check out the scaling section of this post: https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/

Oh thank you this is very helpful info. Now it's clear that's the size does not so matter :)

Would probably need something more like an active campaign map like you see in the total war games.

Yes, exactly! This is actually may change everything. Even increasing the battlefields twice to current sizes will give an opportunity for players to do interesting maneuvers,

and possibly outmaneuver the enemy.. Sometimes the scripts in battles are annoying like the Chancellorsville, there in the middle of the battle the script takes half of your army 

and moves somewhere far, hmm, I could do it by myself IF the map was big enough.. 

When the AI has units between 800 and 1700 it tends to be less aggressive and easily pushed off

Yes I noticed it. At the 2nd Bull Run, 2nd phase if I play for CSA and my defense is strong the enemy comes and just wasted time outside my rifles range, but if my brigades

are small, somewhat around 1000 ohhh, you can see the massive charge, when 20000+ soldiers are charging your position at the same time (by the way I could manage to repel

that charge)..

5 hours ago, pandakraut said:

There are also AIInfantryMaxSize, AIArtilleryMaxSize, etc values that can be changed to your own preferences instead of going back to the base game sizes entirely.

Do you know there the same parameters to limit the palyer's units?