Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

Observations about 1.27.1

New Union MG campaign.  Love the feel so far.  The ability to knock out the CSA unit in town and get them to route was a pleasant surprise.  The AI seems to be a bit more logical about their breaking point.  All serious pluses that make melee more palatable to me, a guy who would prefer to get cover and shoot all day. 

Curious how people are spending their career points in the new version.  I went heavy on experience points, a hold over from 1.24 when perks were all that mattered, but find myself curious about using more economy or logistics.  10 units at 1st Bull Run has appeal to me but economy seems to knock down the price of officers as well.  I have an urge to go back and set up my career to favor the economy points and get better officers from the start.

What's anyone else doing?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Raymond Sebastien said:

I don't know if this is a bug, but it's impossible to save the game at the start of the 2nd day of the Battle of Gettysburg. However, if I open the game in the vanilla game, no problems. 😐

Have a nice day and take care.

Thanks for the report, this is related to some fortifications changes we made to try to improve the AI performance and apparently it breaks saves. We'll look into it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arclight09 said:

I downloaded the file to my dropbox and then loaded it on my computer, however UG still doesn't show that it has the mod activated.  Any help would be appreciated.

Were you able to extract the files into this path? C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data 

You should be prompted to overwrite 2 files. A common mistake is that the files end up in this path instead Ultimate General Civil War\UGCWReporter_Data.

If you have the files in the right place, the version number on the main menu should update. Let me know if you continue to have issues and we'll get it figured out.

• Like 1

I started a new Union campaign using the latest version of the mod, and wow .... just finished the distress call mission and it is working great .... I like specially when you can break a unit and force then to surrender. On the phillipi mission, I got 4 confederate units to surrender at the cost of one of mine being shatter and disbanded... On the distress call, I got another 2 units capture, 2 supply wagons and 1 arty batt.... I followed Pandakraut recommendation to start with the economy and logistic background and it seems ammo is a little more plentyfull and weapons cheaper..... getting ready for 1st bull run with 7x inf, 2x arty and 1x skrimisher units... love it

• Like 2

Update re v.1.27:

I prefer to play BG-level, but try to make the combat harder, as the built-in limits on 'spoils of war' recovery of weapons is badly skewed in the UGCW base game.  Tougher fighting is a nice challenge in MG, but the lack of spoils weapons is a poor trade-off - especially for resource-poor Confederates.  More aggressive AI in 1.27 is a nice challenge, though the attacks are often piecemeal and can be 'gamed' (i.e. entrench and pound them with strong artillery and concentrated rifle fire). I also have chain charge logic set to 'true', but enemy attacks still appear generally uncoordinated and relatively easy to counter.

Am using AIconfigScaling settings to make AI more robust, but I have upped ScalingModifier to 1.4 in BG and am still able to spank the Union quite soundly in Antietam. Curiously, some Union units remain quite small, relative to mine. Will push scalingModifier even more to see if I can find that sweet spot...

Is it possible to engineer in more variety into ai behavior?  Some generals were cautious, some were timid, some were foolishly aggressive.  Some could put together a coordinated attack, others might handle it clumsily. For the most part, the ai is fairly predictable.  When you've played the same scenario a few times, there are few surprises.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dixiePig said:

Am using AIconfigScaling settings to make AI more robust, but I have upped ScalingModifier to 1.4 in BG and am still able to spank the Union quite soundly in Antietam. Curiously, some Union units remain quite small, relative to mine. Will push scalingModifier even more to see if I can find that sweet spot...

I would also recommend to try increasing AIscalingExperienceMultiplier. When units have more perks there is a larger chance for the enemy army to be better at melee or at ranged which leads to different behavior from the AI. It's not quite the same as the general AI behavior you are describing, but allowing the player to change that isn't something that is possible currently. 

The AI does use different general settings for different battles/phases. A good example of this is Brock Road where in the first phase the AI is fairly passive, but in the second phase it'll come find you no matter where you are hiding. Not something we can make configurable or randomized unfortunately.

You can also try increasing duplicateRandomProbability a little bit. This will give the AI additional units more frequently which tends to change its behavior quite a bit. I wouldn't recommend a value higher than 0.35-.4 as in the largest battles you can end up with too many units on the field and the game will crash.

Questions about AIConfig File:

(First, I love the mod, great work!) -- So, I have been trying to work out how to reduce the influence of AI scaling, while keeping the difficulty more or less the same. The problem is that just reducing the "AIScalingSizeMultiplier" reduces the effect of scaling, but also makes enemy army sizes smaller in general.

It seems the AI army size (if I am playing Union) is equal to: (Your Army Size)*(AIScalingSizeMultiplier)*(historicalSouthSizeMultiplier)*(varianceMode Stuff)*(some other junk) + 750

A. Is this more or less correct? This is just deduction from messing with the AIConfig file.
B. Does this mean there is no way to flatly increase the AI army size regardless of your army size, using these config files?

At first I figured I could drop scaling, and increase the size randomness (love the idea behind the varianceMode btw), but the magnitudes on AI army size only seemed to change +/- 1000 at most-- that might just be a display issue, I am not sure.

Then I thought I could increase historicalSouthSizeMultiplier, hoping it was based on some fixed per-battle # rather than my army size. It seems though that reducing scaling and increasing the historical multiplier actually seems to make scaling not change in magnitude when average army size is held constant.

I would just like a mode where I don't feel like every time I recruit some more units I am adding that many or more units into the opposing army. Thanks again for all your hard work! 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 4:59 AM, Radek1 said:

Nice mod, but melee cav seems to powerfull, how can I change that?

Can you let me know what difficulty you are playing on, how far you have progressed in the campaign, and what size of cav units you are using? Or is your issue with the strength of the AI melee cav?

What we've found is that on MG and Legendary the melee cavalry is very strong early on, but also very fragile and micro intensive. If the player messes up they will take a lot of very expensive losses very quickly. As the campaign progresses the battles tend to clutter up more and it gets harder to make use of melee cav if you can't manage to isolate units.

In terms of adjusting them, it depends a bit what your specific concern for them is. The perk and weapon numbers can be adjusted with hex editing https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26225-weapon-and-perk-modding-guide/. Unit sizing can changed in the AIConfig and ConfigFiles in the /mod/rebalance/ folder. Past that you'd be looking at dll editing through something like dnspy. 

8 hours ago, tiberiusgracchus37 said:

It seems the AI army size (if I am playing Union) is equal to: (Your Army Size)*(AIScalingSizeMultiplier)*(historicalSouthSizeMultiplier)*(varianceMode Stuff)*(some other junk) + 750

Starting point of how scaling works can be found here https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26142-hidden-mechanics-and-weapon-damage-degradation/. There are some additional changes made by the mod to account for the larger unit sizes and to adjust specific battles, but these mostly either limit the random range(1.0 - 1.5 multiplier) that is applied to a battle or are average unit size related. This does mean that average unit size matters more in both side and grand battles than it does in the base game. 

I would recommend just using the AIScalingSizeMultiplier. The historical size multiplier basically just does the same thing but also affects the historical battles outside of the campaign. These were a quick fix to support some testing scenarios and are not properly restricted from affecting the campaign.

8 hours ago, tiberiusgracchus37 said:

Does this mean there is no way to flatly increase the AI army size regardless of your army size, using these config files?

At first I figured I could drop scaling, and increase the size randomness (love the idea behind the varianceMode btw), but the magnitudes on AI army size only seemed to change +/- 1000 at most-- that might just be a display issue, I am not sure.

Then I thought I could increase historicalSouthSizeMultiplier, hoping it was based on some fixed per-battle # rather than my army size. It seems though that reducing scaling and increasing the historical multiplier actually seems to make scaling not change in magnitude when average army size is held constant.

I would just like a mode where I don't feel like every time I recruit some more units I am adding that many or more units into the opposing army. Thanks again for all your hard work! 

The size random only adjusts the size of units between around +/-30%(exact numbers vary by difficulty). This only affects a random number of units in each battle so it tends to average out around +/- a few thousand. If you increase the sizeRandomProbability it will affect more units which could lead to wider swings depending on RNG.

As mentioned earlier, average unit size does matter more in the mod than in the base game. This is because the mod tries to allow players to play with both small(1-2k infantry) and large(4-6k infantry). Accommodating both setups does mean that there is usually some change to the size of AI units as the players builds out their army, but in most cases the AI should be bringing roughly the same size units(or a bit larger on higher difficulties) as the player. There are some notable exceptions in certain difficult battles though. 

While not the most convenient, I do think that AIScalingSizeMultiplier should work for your goal. You should be able to build your army as desired and if the numbers you are facing are not what you'd like, just adjust the value up or down. You can effectively force their size to 0 or max them out with the right values. In the future we can add a mode that basically turns off scaling entirely except for the player controlled values.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Can you let me know what difficulty you are playing on, how far you have progressed in the campaign, and what size of cav units you are using? Or is your issue with the strength of the AI melee cav?

What we've found is that on MG and Legendary the melee cavalry is very strong early on, but also very fragile and micro intensive. If the player messes up they will take a lot of very expensive losses very quickly. As the campaign progresses the battles tend to clutter up more and it gets harder to make use of melee cav if you can't manage to isolate units.

In terms of adjusting them, it depends a bit what your specific concern for them is. The perk and weapon numbers can be adjusted with hex editing https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26225-weapon-and-perk-modding-guide/. Unit sizing can changed in the AIConfig and ConfigFiles in the /mod/rebalance/ folder. Past that you'd be looking at dll editing through something like dnspy. 

BG, 400-600, even my skir cav beats ai infantry 1vs1, but its true, since Antientam cav seems working as it was in history.

Hello Panda, Johnny, and anyone willing to lend a hand! 

First and foremost! Holy Nuts you guys have done an incredible job! Absolutely loving it and the AI is aggressive, relentless, and smart! Your fellas’ tweaks to weaponry is awesome and the behavior adjustments are awesome! 

Currently playing a Union MG Campaign (the one before legendary) and I’m trying to play as the never ending horde of infantry that just keeps marching forward with a handful of elite units. One problem! I’m running out of guns/money to give to my Cannon Fodder!

So here’s the question(s): 1) is there a possibility of you implementing Springfield 1842 Political Point Purchases to feed my cannon fodder? 2) Can us as users change the capture chance of Opposing Equipment? 3) Can this Capture Chance be utilized (and given a value) in the config files that you have accessible for changing Player/AI Unit size and a plethora of other tweaks for a user (just a convenience thing)?

In regards to Q1, perhaps it could be based on the Money Cost of the equipment? For example, the SF 1855 is ~2x the cost of the SF 1842 (or SF 1842 is 0.5x the cost of SF 1855). With this in mind, as an expanded example, before the battle of 1st Bull Run/Manassas can we have two options of weaponry? 4 PP (Political Points) for 2,000 SF 1855s or 4 PP for 4,000 SF 1842s? 

Thus tending to multiple types of play.

Thanks fellas and stay awesome!

I am trying to understand the specs for various arms.  Two (of many) specs that I don't understand are the Ammunition and Ammunition cost specs.

A 6PDR Field gun uses ammunition "20" at a cost of 50 while a Whitworth also uses "20" at a cost of 200.  What are these numbers telling me?  I assume the 50 and the 200 are costs per volley, but what is the ammunition number and does it relate to the cost?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadgerFan said:

A 6PDR Field gun uses ammunition "20" at a cost of 50 while a Whitworth also uses "20" at a cost of 200.  What are these numbers telling me?  I assume the 50 and the 200 are costs per volley, but what is the ammunition number and does it relate to the cost?

Ammunition is the number of times the weapon can be reloaded and fired without the unit being resupplied. The cost is how much supply will be removed from the wagon per round reloaded. So resupplying a 6pdr will be much cheaper than a whitworth.

• Like 1

Back with another question.  What does fire rate indicate.  A Springfield 1863 has a fire rate of 100, while a Henry has a fire rate of 50 per the armory pop-up notes.  I thought historically that the Henry had a higher rate than the Springfield.  What am I not understanding?

• Like 1

Not to be the guy who seems to only focus on officers in the game. But is there a way to change the names of the historic officers that appear for purchase in the barracks? For instance William Brewster in the Union campaign.

I also got the AI officer heintzelman after Bull Run. Not the one from the barracks but a wounded Heintzleman. I believe he is a “division commander” for the AI in Bull Run. I know you fixed this issue for the most part and I haven’t received any other AI wounded in the other battles. I have had AI Division commanders get wounded in other battles, but they didn’t appear in my barracks, just that one time in 1.27a. Just passing along the discovery. 

Edited by Jeepcreep2019
Grammar

31 minutes ago, BadgerFan said:

Back with another question.  What does fire rate indicate.  A Springfield 1863 has a fire rate of 100, while a Henry has a fire rate of 50 per the armory pop-up notes.  I thought historically that the Henry had a higher rate than the Springfield.  What am I not understanding?

The higher the fire rate number the shorter the time it takes for the reloading bar to fill. The henry, and other magazine weapons, have their own custom system in the mod. They reload almost instantly between volleys as they have not fired more rounds than are in their magazine. Once that limit is reached the longer reload time shown by the fire rate takes affect.

This allows a unit to fire effectively continuous volleys until their magazine is expended, and then the unit will be vulnerable during the longer reload cycle. 

• Like 1

So a Springfield 1861 has a fire rate of 100 while a Springfield 1855 has a fire rate of 125.  Is it reasonable to say that in the time an 1861 loads and fires 100 rounds an 1855 will load and fire 125 rounds?

Is it reasonable to say a Henry, which has a fire rate of 50 and a magazine of 15, could theoretically load and fire 750 rounds in the time it takes an 1861 to load and fire 100 rounds? (50 complete reloads x 15)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BadgerFan said:

So a Springfield 1861 has a fire rate of 100 while a Springfield 1855 has a fire rate of 125.  Is it reasonable to say that in the time an 1861 loads and fires 100 rounds an 1855 will load and fire 125 rounds?

Is it reasonable to say a Henry, which has a fire rate of 50 and a magazine of 15, could theoretically load and fire 750 rounds in the time it takes an 1861 to load and fire 100 rounds? (50 complete reloads x 15)

100 fire rate is approximately one volley per in game minute. 50 fire rate is approximately one volley per 2 in game minutes. In practice the exact results will vary as reloading, aiming, and volley lengths all have an element of randomness built in. You can put two units next to each other with the same stats and weapons and you'll notice that they will get more and more out of sync on their volleys the longer they continue firing.

• Like 1

Just trying  to DL the last version and play. I miss how to do that  Online, I was accossted by a discord window that wanted info and verification details into and that seems dodgy since IIRC my gameLabs games havr no intercourse with discord unless it mighr be used for voice group exchancewhirolw in UGCW I don/ .  This game ,pd/  Ram omtp a Do .  I did run into an unidenimoxvt recenrt verion.  I ruj  thanks