Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

I'd like to add my appreciation for the work you've done here.  It's really made the game a lot more enjoyable.

A couple of personal observations.  When I first bought the game and started it I was pleasantly surprised that the town directly in the center of the map (at the tip of NC) is the one I lived in most of my life.  Don't know why the map has it on it, but it was the location of one of the last skirmishes of the war in the Eastern theater.

The other is Henry Hill in the 1st and 2nd Manassas battles.  I'm obliquely related to the family that owned that property at the time (one of my grandmothers was a Henry)

And I have one question that may have been asked before.  Were any of the sound effects, particularly the voices you hear while in "Camp", taken from the Sid Meier civil war games?

2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

I just tried both saves with the 1.23a dlls and couldn't recreate. Also tried restarting the entire battle from one of the saves and again didn't get the bug. Did not get the endOfDay bug with Salem Church with your saves or an old save of my own.

It's not entirely clear to me from your other comments if you've tried restarting the entire battle yet. That is normally the best chance to resolve issues like this. If you've already tried that I'm not sure what else to attempt.

I'm going to check with Jonny and see if the bug happens for him.

I also could not recreate this bug using either saves.  I will say to follow the above advice about restarting the battle again.  It hopefully will clear it up.

Both of you guys loaded up the saved files and didn't get the problem that I did. ????? Maybe the game gods are mad that I killed so many enemy troops. Perhaps there might be a glitch with my game, that assembly sharp dll file is mad at me, idk.  I am going to attempt to restart the battle and hopefully that fixes the issue.  Thanks for trying to resolve the issue. Hopefully the restart works. I will let you know.

Ok guys. I tried to restart the battle and it did the same thing. I only played day 1 and it went through the set up for day 2 and it just jumped me into the camp (at the end of day 2 which it skipped) to start day 3. Try to load the files again and see if you get the same results. IF you don't get the same results that I did, I will continue to go back to previous saves even if it means going back to Stones River or earlier because, it would seem that this must be an issue on my end. Somewhere prior to Chancellorsville, something must have happened or got corrupted

"9d whatever" is the save prior to battle.

"auto" is the autosave when start battle.

"ec whatever" is my going into battle (making sure all people have orders after the game deploys them.

"cb whatever" is the end of day 1, starting day 2 but skipped and a save in camp and begining of day 3.

eciahxyo.yeqcbruh4bq.rm7autosavesb9dzjcrki.jnr

Edited by Kristoph420

11 hours ago, RToy said:

I'd like to add my appreciation for the work you've done here.  It's really made the game a lot more enjoyable.

A couple of personal observations.  When I first bought the game and started it I was pleasantly surprised that the town directly in the center of the map (at the tip of NC) is the one I lived in most of my life.  Don't know why the map has it on it, but it was the location of one of the last skirmishes of the war in the Eastern theater.

The other is Henry Hill in the 1st and 2nd Manassas battles.  I'm obliquely related to the family that owned that property at the time (one of my grandmothers was a Henry)

And I have one question that may have been asked before.  Were any of the sound effects, particularly the voices you hear while in "Camp", taken from the Sid Meier civil war games?

No we did not edit the sounds or have taken anything directly from other games.  As much as I want to add it in, it would take a lot of work for something that is not high on our priority list.  

3 hours ago, Kristoph420 said:

Ok guys. I tried to restart the battle and it did the same thing. I only played day 1 and it went through the set up for day 2 and it just jumped me into the camp (at the end of day 2 which it skipped) to start day 3. Try to load the files again and see if you get the same results. IF you don't get the same results that I did, I will continue to go back to previous saves even if it means going back to Stones River or earlier because, it would seem that this must be an issue on my end. Somewhere prior to Chancellorsville, something must have happened or got corrupted

"ec whatever" is my going into battle (making sure all people have orders after the game deploys them.

"cb whatever" is the end of day 1, starting day 2 but skipped and a save in camp and begining of day 3.

eciahxyo.yeqcbruh4bq.rm7autosavesb9dzjcrki.jnr

Will try this in a bit.  

7 hours ago, Kristoph420 said:

None of them fail for me. The only suggestion I have to try and resolve would be reinstalling the game and then reapplying the mod.

Alternately, as long as the issue doesn't keep happening in other battles, you can try these saves. Camp post day 1, day 2 post hints, day 2 a few minutes later(hopefully you don't have to use this one but included in case the others don't work).

CampaignBattle.zip

Panda and Johnny. . . Not only did you guys make an awesome mod of this game, you guys also tried hard to resolve my issue. I downloaded the saves you provided and it still did the same thing. Logic would dictate that it is an issue on my end. The only option left is to do what you said, reinstall the game and reapply the mod. Thank you guys for the help.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kristoph420 said:

Panda and Johnny. . . Not only did you guys make an awesome mod of this game, you guys also tried hard to resolve my issue. I downloaded the saves you provided and it still did the same thing. Logic would dictate that it is an issue on my end. The only option left is to do what you said, reinstall the game and reapply the mod. Thank you guys for the help.

My best guess is that something is still screwed up with the end of day logic for you. There was an older bug where battles that went very late would tick over to 00:00:00 and end immediately. Salem Church was one of those I believe. I'm not sure how you are running 1.23 and still hitting it though. Hope the reinstall works out.

Hey guys, it is me again. I have issues. I uninstalled the game. Reinstalled the game. Verified the game files. Then I Download v1.23 , extracted it, copied and replaced all the files and folders that popped up and said copy and replace. I loaded a game up and it seems I have a hybrid of the vanilla game and your mod???? I included some screenshots. I know it is vanilla because a lot of my weak Colonels are now strong colonels and the career point bonuses that your mod provides are not present. Your mod is present because I have 7 divisions. I must have done something wrong. I wish I was better with technology. Anyway, can you give me instructions on how to delete the game and your mod and all the stuff associated with the game. I want to clean it all out and start over with a clean plate. Then I will reinstall UGCW and then reinstall your mod. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1512380108

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1512380398

1 hour ago, Kristoph420 said:

Hey guys, it is me again. I have issues. I uninstalled the game. Reinstalled the game. Verified the game files. Then I Download v1.23 , extracted it, copied and replaced all the files and folders that popped up and said copy and replace. I loaded a game up and it seems I have a hybrid of the vanilla game and your mod???? I included some screenshots. I know it is vanilla because a lot of my weak Colonels are now strong colonels and the career point bonuses that your mod provides are not present. Your mod is present because I have 7 divisions. I must have done something wrong. I wish I was better with technology. Anyway, can you give me instructions on how to delete the game and your mod and all the stuff associated with the game. I want to clean it all out and start over with a clean plate. Then I will reinstall UGCW and then reinstall your mod. 

I'm pretty sure you're just running the base game. The game doesn't enforce division limits outside of preventing you from assigning units there. So if you load a save with more divisions they will still be present even if you are running the base game.

The easiest way to tell what you are running is checking the weapon tooltips. If you see accuracy high and low the mod dll is being used. If carbines are all range 300 the mod assets file is being used.

Great news for me, Panda and Johnny. It worked. I deleted all the whole Civil War General folders and the mod. Reinstalled the game and then the mod and everything seems to work fine. No issues or problems, so far (keeping fingers crossed).  Again thanks for the help and of course making a great mod.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kristoph420 said:

Panda and Jonny. . . . Playing as Union. The battle of Bayou Fourche. . . it says I can bring 18 units. The game only deployed 17 of them.

Odd, I thought I got the full 18 the last time around, will take a look. There are several issues with the deployment numbers though usually they lean towards giving you more units rather than less. I'm using some frankly terrible workarounds to increase all limits by a set amount rather than having to update the hundreds of deployment values individually.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Odd, I thought I got the full 18 the last time around, will take a look. There are several issues with the deployment numbers though usually they lean towards giving you more units rather than less. I'm using some frankly terrible workarounds to increase all limits by a set amount rather than having to update the hundreds of deployment values individually.

That would be a lot easier, I would assume. A terrible workaround is only terrible is it doesn't work.

Bayou Forche does only allow 17. The issue is that the displayed value is the total amount of units. This amount is increased using an equation based on the deploySizeMultiplier in the config file. However when this formula is applied to smaller deploy zones(6 units or less) the formula doesn't result in an increase in unit slots. An exception will have to be added to this battle to fix it but I'm not sure when we would next release a patch to include this.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

Bayou Forche does only allow 17. The issue is that the displayed value is the total amount of units. This amount is increased using an equation based on the deploySizeMultiplier in the config file. However when this formula is applied to smaller deploy zones(6 units or less) the formula doesn't result in an increase in unit slots. An exception will have to be added to this battle to fix it but I'm not sure when we would next release a patch to include this.

I noticed that during that battle because the one unit that didn't show up was my ART unit with Whitworths cannons.

44 minutes ago, echelbergere said:

I am curious. Are there any benefits to the pricier guns like the Lorenz and Enfield 53 for infantry? I see the Whitworths are golden, but the others seem inferior to the Harper’s Ferry 1855, at least in a general breakdown. 

Availability mostly. The HF 55 is only available in limited numbers in the early stages of the campaign. The Lorenz and Enfields import status has more to do with the price than the weapon stats.

For Battle of 1st Bull Run, when playing as either Union or CSA, would it be possible to add a Division to the army' structure for the player's AI force.  I don't mean more Brigades, just divide up the forces a bit more?

When played as Union,  there are 2 AI Divisions, so its not so bad.  Just feels like it's a little unbalance, particularly with variable.  1st Division 3 Infantry and 2 Artillery, followed by 1 Cavalry, then 2 Infantry & 2 Artillery = 10 minimum.  2nd Division 3 Infantry and 1 Artillery.

Last Battle I played the initial deployment was 5 inf + 3 art, then 1 cav, then 3 inf +3 art = 15 units in Div 1, with just 3 inf and 1 art in Div 2.

I know the variable was lopsided but even if all of Div 2 brigades split and none of Div 1 did it would still be 8 to 10 in Div 1 favour. 

When played as CSA, I cant remember the numbers of the AI units but I think it's something like 3 inf + 2 art, then 5 inf + 2 art and a cav and in final phase another 5 inf brigades = 18 all under the Army hierarchy (even without variable split) with no sub-divisions.  When playing all the AI units appear to be under an Army heading with no Divisional split.

You end up with 3 distinct AI forces each with a General but no Division/Army split of the AI forces

Not sure what others think.....

5 hours ago, lightningg said:

For Battle of 1st Bull Run, when playing as either Union or CSA, would it be possible to add a Division to the army' structure for the player's AI force.  I don't mean more Brigades, just divide up the forces a bit more?

The divisional setups in most battles are all over the place and often times units aren't part of divisions at all. Not sure what the reasoning behind this design was but it's not something we can change.

5 hours ago, Kristoph420 said:

Panda and Jonny . . .  Playing as Union. Battle of Brock Road. Only 17 units deployed in Reinforcements corps, even though it says 18.  Im just saying, I could have used that other CAV unit, that is why I noticed.

Known issue from the base game. Supply units count as a slot when reinforcing.

8 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

The divisional setups in most battles are all over the place and often times units aren't part of divisions at all. Not sure what the reasoning behind this design was but it's not something we can change

Ok thanks.  Wasn't sure if it could be changed or not, thanks for clarifying