Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

2 hours ago, saintpietro said:

Many thanks, and a question for you sir, 

in the unitModifiers file, what is the mean for movePerStamina, is the value bigger means the unit could run longer?  

That value is the rate at which a unit gains a point of stamina for spending time moving. So the higher the value the slower a unit gains the stamina stat.

Is there a chance to change how visually infantry formations look, like to correct two by two ranks like in older UGG?

k4hjmtoa.jpg.95674ffaf87fce62c7b9aacadce8aa23.jpg

Or for artillery to fire only if it has clear sight (no more setting it behind the forest and still being able to fire into the enemy on the other side), also like in UGG?I really liked (and it was realistic)how you couldn't fire if infantry was in front of it or at least it had to be on the elevation to have a clear firing line.

Another thing that makes me wonder is why there isn't a option for army commander after you create a second corps and another general takes command of your first corps, and could it be set up?

11 hours ago, NikolaKaleKonj said:

Is there a chance to change how visually infantry formations look, like to correct two by two ranks like in older UGG?

k4hjmtoa.jpg.95674ffaf87fce62c7b9aacadce8aa23.jpg

Or for artillery to fire only if it has clear sight (no more setting it behind the forest and still being able to fire into the enemy on the other side), also like in UGG?I really liked (and it was realistic)how you couldn't fire if infantry was in front of it or at least it had to be on the elevation to have a clear firing line.

Another thing that makes me wonder is why there isn't a option for army commander after you create a second corps and another general takes command of your first corps, and could it be set up?

It might be possible to change the sprite generation for fewer lines , but I haven't had much luck trying in the past.

Altitude difference can actually block artillery fire, it's just really rare. Antietam near the Eastern edge of the sunken road and the round tops are the only place I've noticed it. Perhaps it would be possible to make that more restrictive, but it would take a decent amount of research time. I also expect that adding restrictions would result in the AI behaving rather poorly.

Not following your last suggestion, can you try to clarify or restate it?

7 hours ago, pandakraut said:

It might be possible to change the sprite generation for fewer lines , but I haven't had much luck trying in the past.

Altitude difference can actually block artillery fire, it's just really rare. Antietam near the Eastern edge of the sunken road and the round tops are the only place I've noticed it. Perhaps it would be possible to make that more restrictive, but it would take a decent amount of research time. I also expect that adding restrictions would result in the AI behaving rather poorly.

Not following your last suggestion, can you try to clarify or restate it?

I meant to ask if there is a possibility to introduce position of army commander over the corps commanders, with all it's perks and qualities?

I wanted also to ask is it possible to introduce new weapons, like 30pdr parrot gun,or enable cavalry to carry long rifles like Spencer and Colt revolver rifle,but at cost of not being able to fire from the saddle?

Also,I wish you a good luck with the mods and hoping to improve this game, which has so much more potential and ability to grow.

Edited by NikolaKaleKonj

3 hours ago, NikolaKaleKonj said:

I meant to ask if there is a possibility to introduce position of army commander over the corps commanders, with all it's perks and qualities?

I wanted also to ask is it possible to introduce new weapons, like 30pdr parrot gun,or enable cavalry to carry long rifles like Spencer and Colt revolver rifle,but at cost of not being able to fire from the saddle?

Also,I wish you a good luck with the mods and hoping to improve this game, which has so much more potential and ability to grow.

Adding army commanders is probably not possible. Among the issues with doing so is that adding elements into the UI is very difficult. Everything we've added so far is tacked onto something existing but the space is very limited.

We can repurpose weapons to create a 30pdr. The siege gun is an example as it's using the 14pdr James 'slot'. We are limited to the weapons listed in the assets file though which is why we haven't increased the amount available.

Cavalry could have more weapons allowed though anything with longer range becomes a balance issue. I could probably find a workaround to prevent certain weapons from being able to fire as cavalry. Have to make sure the AI can never have those weapons though.

Thanks for the well wishes :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saintpietro said:

Really brilliant! hat off to you sir.  I search the asset file with Hex couple of times and totally with no clue without text content on right side. 

There are hex decompilers which can translate far more than HxD does which is how a lot of this stuff was discovered.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:59 PM, pandakraut said:

There are hex decompilers which can translate far more than HxD does which is how a lot of this stuff was discovered.

That's very sophisticate tools and no way for me with zero programming knowledge  to access.  

And for the deployment size, is it controled by the .dll for every battle? 

25 minutes ago, saintpietro said:

That's very sophisticate tools and no way for me with zero programming knowledge  to access.  

Not really programming, but can be hard to get into initially. If you're looking to get in deeper I'd message Jonny about it.

26 minutes ago, saintpietro said:

And for the deployment size, is it controled by the .dll for every battle? 

Mostly, there is a deploySizeMultiplier in the ConfigFile.csv you can use to make certain types of changes. Using 1 gets you the base game values, 1.1 the current modded values. Anything higher will increase them. It's more than just straight multiplication of the base values behind the scenes though and many small deployment slots(< 6) I have hardcoded in the dll. But feel free to experiment.

Small update.  

- Weapon tooltips have been updated to show a damage range instead of accuracy low, hi, and base damage. - All weapons now have a Range Damage Multiplier section which shows the modifier applied at short, medium, long, and max range. Cannon will also display the modifier at 100 range. These provide snapshots of how effective a given weapon is at various ranges. - The player's skirmishers on hold position will now fire at units in range when hidden without a direct fire order.

1 minute ago, FrankHan said:

Thanks Johnny and Pandakraut for a great Mod. 

Any timelines for the 1.25 or even better a 1.3? 

Unless something else small comes up 1.3 would be next. It's in progress at the moment, might be ready within the next few months but it depends on how things go.

The downsides of having to work on this on the side :)

Rework of weapons, perks, and size damage curves are the main changes. Possibly some other additions depending on how they work out. Once we get a testable version going I'll see who is active and interested in helping out with testing.

Very Glad to see you sirs are still working on this project, looking forward to a large scale campaign.

currently the scaling still got a bit confusion due to adding Army Bridage number result even less AI on minor battle

Actually I have waited for your mod until get a boy today^^ 

• Like 1

image.png.92d20a696ba19b1a134a3b93192276d2.png

This is the Army after Fredericksburg,  AI get smaller brigade with round 3K, kind like vanilla scaling

and after disband the unit in second and third corp,

image.png.fc225f27402145b217e21fc4cc516f04.png

The AI unit increase to 4.5K.

I use 4K per Infantry bridage, and set AI max for 8K. wondering why 

And in the last battle Washington for south, no matter how big per bridage scale, AI seems keep fixed scale with totol round 300K army

• Like 1

If disbanding units in your second and third corps reduces scaling in that side battle then they were probably smaller infantry units than what is in your 1st corps and were lowering your average unit size.

Scaling in the final battles is hard to affect. There might also be a size cap in the algorithm around 250k that is imposing the 300k limit. I'll look into this one.

Having played one Union BG campaign in UGCW vanilla and two BG Confederate I tired your mod as it looks good and a promising improvement over vanilla.  Progress so far looks pretty promising and I appreciate your efforts so far are focused on MG and Legendary testing (which I'd not played at this time) so I thought I'd make a few general comments on my experience so far.

I appreciate the changes mean it does not play the same as vanilla and different tactics are required so I played the mod on BG as the Confederates and found it good but way too easy.  Maybe just because I've experienced these battles already?  By Gaines Mill every battle was just a one sided slaughter of the Union with the only challenge being can I wipe them out totally by games end.  Antietam, well the Union wouldn't even attack (much) because they knew they were out numbered, so again Confederates attack and destroy them to the last unit.  Come Fredricksburg the Union rock up with 10,000 troops less that the Confederates (53,000 v's 63,000) and so the Confederates (me) attack right from the word go and wipe them out totally ... and I don't consider myself a master of this game by any stretch.   Even a small Whitworth TS sniper unit  of 200 could kill 7,000 union troops and essentially walk along the Union lines and destroy most of their front line brigades with (range) impunity.  So, ok BG is too easy for me, so we go to MG confederate and try again.  Initial battles seem obviously harder so, ok so far, as it should be.  1st Bull run seemed almost a bit comic (but I appreciated the Unions lack of command - my explanation!)  3,500 Confederates stopped 13,500 Union troops at the day 1 farm house objective where I could have been charged and routed easily, but they stood there in the open so I could have target practice, thank you!  Again later the remnants of 3 brigades (about (2,500 troops stopped 12,000 Union troops on 2 directions by sitting in the woods behind a creek while the Union are out in the open, nice and maybe plausible but still any attack and I'm dead.  So I was thankful that the lack of Union aggression saved me and I could progress.

So at Shiloh, total opposite, having won all battles to date but no total destruction of Union armies the Union map intel suggests 49 to 54,000 Union troops to my 37,000 Confederates on MG (which is the same balance as the Historical MG battle for Shiloh) and whoops enter the battle and facing 73,000 Union troops with my 37k.  I can see how small, more efficient units can defeat the Union 3k, 4k and even 5k brigades but it's just way too much to defeat the entire Union army let alone the day 2 reserves.  I've tried multiple different strategies to win on day one or day 2 even but I'm left thinking the Shiloh battle at MG is way too heavy on union troops.  For a one level increase in difficulty it seems to have gone from very winnable to impossible .... that should be legendary level not MG.  Even by fledgling Whitworth TS snipers (93 men) could only kill 870 + on day one (much of it Artillerymen) could not stop the tide.

I later tried the Union on MG and found it even harder on MG than the Confederate, was happy to just get a draw at 1st Bull Run while attacking a vastly superior force but was pointless trying to proceed past that point.

I like the mod and what you've done with it but I feel the difficulty jump from BG to MG is way too much(or maybe the starting army size is wrong), you can walk through BG (with a little experience) but run into an almost total brick wall at MG.  Maybe this is also the case with vanilla, never tried it but the situations above where it feels like the AI armies have either far to few troops or way too many which is an issue. 

In this case would you expect the Union at Shiloh to have 73,000 troops when it knows the confederates will only have 37k or is this not what you planned?

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1