Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

12 hours ago, killjoy1941 said:

Sorry, I should've said infantry-heavy focus, as in using a lot of infantry brigades. I think the organizational aspect is probably only valid through Fredericksburg, since after that I nearly always have a significant recruit surplus. That discourages disbanding. Instead, I usually keep an open corps with one or two incidental division commanders for brigade and division shuffling.

Good point about the skirmishers, though. I hadn't thought of that.

Gotcha. I only keep a minimal amount of Army organization, in that for a major battle my corps can field enough units to take advantage of slots. As a result I do not have a spare corp slot for shuffling so I have to get creative in my methods. I enjoy how they are multiple solutions to manage the shuffling challenge.

Yup, that's how I used to do it, then I discovered the supply exploit wherein you drop a lone ancillary unit into a corps and get an extra wagon. That's pretty irrelevant now that we have so many brigade slots with the mod and the supply cap no longer exists, so it's more habit than anything, but I still do it because I generally only have critical point assignments up to Malvern Hill. Since you don't need three corps until Antietam, it's simply convenience.

15 hours ago, killjoy1941 said:

Yup, that's how I used to do it, then I discovered the supply exploit wherein you drop a lone ancillary unit into a corps and get an extra wagon. That's pretty irrelevant now that we have so many brigade slots with the mod and the supply cap no longer exists, so it's more habit than anything, but I still do it because I generally only have critical point assignments up to Malvern Hill. Since you don't need three corps until Antietam, it's simply convenience.

I wouldn't even call it an exploit, it's more of an oversight, there should have been a required minimum to allow a Corps to be battle-ready, like filling a single Division with at least 3 brigades or units for it to be available for the battle and you'd still get that extra supply wagon. It's just the way the Army Management is designed for its command structure. 

• Like 1

I think having an option for campaign play "arcade style" or "historical style" would be good if you wanted to make it a required minimum. There's something fun about making your corps exactly what you want, and then there's also fun in playing historical style, I feel like that's what's missing from the game in general, it would have been better to have two modes, what was made was a combination of the two modes, it's fun but could be even better!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, madmatg said:

I think having an option for campaign play "arcade style" or "historical style" would be good if you wanted to make it a required minimum. There's something fun about making your corps exactly what you want, and then there's also fun in playing historical style, I feel like that's what's missing from the game in general, it would have been better to have two modes, what was made was a combination of the two modes, it's fun but could be even better!

In terms of corps restrictions I would probably recommend self imposed restrictions. Could go even further and limit yourself to historical ratios of unit types and such. Coding this kind of restriction for the supply wagon is a bit more work than it might initially appear and this feels like the kind of feature that everyone will want a slightly different version of. 

8 hours ago, madmatg said:

definitely feeling the burn on the ammo at 2nd bull run haha ammo has run out with 3.5 hours to go haha, hope I can hold out!

I took 70k into 2nd Bull Run for my first corps last time I played as CSA, and I still nearly ran out by the end. Of course, it's worth noting that because the mod has no real supply cap, fire discipline doesn't exist in my army. :D

Anyway... yeah, it's absolutely worth dumping unused money into supply every time you can. You can always exchange it again if you need to.

14 hours ago, madmatg said:

definitely feeling the burn on the ammo at 2nd bull run haha ammo has run out with 3.5 hours to go haha, hope I can hold out!

Yes logistics is really a thing! It is for that reason I keep a 4, that extra ammo really comes in handy for me.

6 hours ago, pandakraut said:

I messed up and the surrender weapon recovery changes didn't make it into 1.2. Will have a new version up soon with that corrected.

No worries. You and JonnyH have already gone above and beyond what everyone ever thought possible. You guys do you, and we'll patiently wait for the new fun.

Mad respect. Modding is hard (I know from Skyrim experience), so no worries if things don't go as planned. :)

I have never been able to outfit more than half of my manpower pool before any mission (CSA MG). I'm about to fight antietam and I've got 41,966 recruits and 130920 money, with about 5000 rifles in my armory. 

I haven't invested any points in politics the whole game, have had a lot in economy and just started using logistics more(so maybe that's why) but the change (ammo change update) came before my 2nd bull run so I wasn't using lots and lots of ammo each grand campaign. 

This isn't necessarily a bad thing just commenting on it

Edited by madmatg

13 minutes ago, william1993 said:

why do guns cost so much now?

Artillery prices were increased somewhat in the latest version to increase the cost of the player stockpiling the best cannon very quickly. Investing in economy should mitigate that fairly well though.

1. a questions, what's the relationship between damage and accuracy? I have a difficult time trying to figure out how to relate these things when looking at things like the cavalry enfield with 10 damage but 42 max accuracy vs cook&bros with 8 damage and 65 max accuracy? I mean I understand that the damage hit when it's accurate but I don't quite understand how to compare everything

2. Just finished Fredericksburg on CSA MG

65,000 infantry, 10,000 missing, 4700 cannon, 2834 cav

to

3254 infantry, 580 cav

Almost every grand campaign battle has been similar to this, this was definitely the silliest casualty wise because of the maryes heights section where the artillery just destroyed them. 32,500 of the KIA were from 12 regiments of cannon 

7,000 from 2 250 men SS regiments

8,000 from 8 cav regiments

rest from infantry

I am finding this mod to make the game way easier than the original game so far, I am not a great player at this game and never achieved any kind of results like this on my missions in the regular game on MG.

Also after this mission I had captured like 15 or so supply wagons and am finally able to equip all the recruits I have with weapons

Edited by madmatg
Forgot to add some things

30 minutes ago, madmatg said:

I am finding this mod to make the game way easier than the original game so far, I am not a great player at this game and never achieved any kind of results like this on my missions in the regular game on MG.

In some ways the mod makes the game harder, in others a bit easier. Some of this is that damage is still out of balance to try and support larger unit sizes. It's still probably to easy to just stack accuracy and kill everything with artillery though the latest version seems to have toned that down a bit. We're also considering making the player to actually pay to refill their supply wagons after every battle which would help mitigate the ability to just blast away indefinitely with artillery.

Those kind of results are definitely possible on the base game though. Every now and again I go back and play it to test something out and it feels even easier than the mod overall. Some of that might just be my increased familiarity with the game since the last time I played a full vanilla campaign though.

A couple of suggestions if you're looking for more difficulty. Give the union or legendary a try. The union start is definitely more challenging than the confederates since it's harder to get access to perks. Also if you are using mid battle saves and restarts give it a try without them. With how deadly melee is in the mod one or two mistakes can snowball really badly.

• Like 1

Yeah I started the campaign over every time you guys made another update until this last update I just kept going with the new supply change. I definitely have had the problems with units getting charged before I can get to it but with the basic speed so slow it's easier for me to get to it before it gets too out of control. 

I didn't think about how those abilities would really swing the game and how that would make CSA now easier than Union. I'll have to try that

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pandakraut said:

We're also considering making the player to actually pay to refill their supply wagons after every battle which would help mitigate the ability to just blast away indefinitely with artillery.

I thought this was the case anyway that supply is topped up from cash after battle, taking account of what was unused, going by corps supply wagon paragraph in guide

or do you mean that any unused supplies are lost (same as when enemy captures supply wagon) so you have to pay the whole amount after each battle

15 minutes ago, lightningg said:

thought this was the case anyway that supply is topped up from cash after battle, taking account of what was unused, going by corps supply wagon paragraph in guide

That was my assumption as well until very recently. Turns out you only get charged to refill your wagons in between days on multiday battles. Other than that you might as well empty your supply wagon every battle as it doesn't cost you anything. As you noted any captured supply you use is less supply you get back at the end of the battle. Apparently recharging for your supply wagons was turned off early in development since you could easily use up all of your reward money on supply if you used a lot of artillery. So some balancing will probably be needed if we re-enable it.

• Like 1