Game-Labs Forum

J & P Rebalance Mod by JonnyH13 and Pandakraut 05/06/2023 1.28.4

JonnyH13

11 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

I don't use Horse Artillery, but I definitely notice that ammunition for artillery is pretty scarce.  Fire discipline is a thing, yeah.

I've run 2k brigades for nearly my whole time playing the game, albeit with a short dip down to 1,500 as payment for winning at Gaines' Mill - boy did I get a pasting from the dozens of 3k rebel brigades.  Not by choice of scaling, but because I'm most comfortable with that brigade size - good firepower and reasonable mobility.

Yeah, it's absolutely worth starting smaller and increasing your average brigade size over time. I had a couple 900-man brigades for MG Shiloh because I was using every weapon in the armory. :D

My issue is always officers; I can never have enough until I've gotten through Fredericksburg, and I'll generally buy them all as well as use PPs to get them through Antietam.

On 6/30/2018 at 2:32 PM, JonnyH13 said:

Melee cavalry should not dismount.  I will fix it when I have the time.  Been Busy.

My experimentation with it indicates not much of an issue in regards to balance; it does seem to mean that when dismounted, they  stay put. Quite able to defend when dismounted; one can imagine a round of pistol shot at close range, and then sabre and pistol butts to drive back attackers.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:48 AM, jjj said:

Question: is there a certain threshold I have to meet in order to detach skirms from my line infantry? I'm only a few battles in and so perhaps I need more bodies. 

You can't detach skirmishers from line infantry anymore.

You've been given extra deployment slots on each battle to compensate for this and bring in real skirmishers.

• Like 1

..and with the ability now to give those skirmisher units higher end rifles.. you essentially have created a unit like the period British Rifle Battalion (60th Rifles, etc.) Give them perks that allow them to move quickly and fire accurately and even a 500 man unit can significantly impact your battles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pandakraut said:

No timeline at this point for when another major version will be ready. A minor release might happen in a few weeks.

OK, thanx. 

What is planned for the new major version after the hotfixing will be done?

2 or 3 star cav with the right perks can be very dangerous even from the front if they scale large enough. In my experience the losses from this are to high for the player to sustain, but the free AI troops can certainly get away with it.

Given that this occasionally makes the AI dangerous my initial thought would be that it is ok. We are experimenting with some melee and morale changes though so it will probably get another look.

• Like 1

Just started trying to play through MG..  in regards to AI cavalry, I watched a one star AI Cav unit charge and break a 2 star brigade in heavy cover flanked by two supporting brigades. The AI cav was outnumbered at least 3:1, should have been cut to pieces.

It looks like MG level gives less morale to the player... is that correct?

2 hours ago, BCH said:

It looks like MG level gives less morale to the player... is that correct

While the AI units have better stats on MG there is no change to the players stats on the harder difficulties.

Depending on the scenario that could be reasonable. Relying on nearby brigades to fire into melee is not a good idea in the mod. Friendly fire does more damage so you are more likely to rout your own unit. If the cav unit was melee specialized and fresh and the infantry wasn't the infantry will lose even with larger numbers. This is because there are severe penalties for low condition and morale so units can very quickly become combat ineffective if they take a lot of damage from a charge.

Also, depending on the weapons and perk selections of those infantry units their weapon fire might not do much damage early on as the cav charges in. Rifle damage starts off considerably lower than in the base game. All of this can take some adjusting to until you get a feel for it.

The scenario in question was the Distress Call. The 2 star brigade had not been previously engaged, the the two flanking brigades and the 2 star filed one volley into the cav unit right before it hit, with little effect. The flanking units may have very well routed their own 2 star unit. 2 star had '61 Springfields, the 1 star flanking units had '41 Harpers and '55 Springfields.

The best that I have been able to do is a draw on this scenario at MG level.. I can bring about 10,000 to12,000 to the fight, but their ineffectiveness at this level does not allow me to break the hold on the first depot (in the North) with CSA having superior numbers. I can whittle them down with losses being at least twice my own; but I can not retake the North depot.

Good to know that firing into a melee is apt to cause more friendly fire casualties.

16 minutes ago, BCH said:

The scenario in question was the Distress Call.

Distress Call is arguably one of the hardest battles in the mod at the moment. It took me at least a dozen tries to find a good solution on legendary though if you are willing to accept higher casualties it won't be nearly that hard. A couple of hints, some of which you may have seen before: You can use skirmishers to hold up the eastern reinforcements for quite some time along the river ford. It's difficult, but possible to hold the northern fort. Do not garrison the fort, most of the ground inside of the north fort counts as 100% cover. Recapturing the southern fort is far easier than the northern because it doesn't have the cover bonus and is not uphill. Your reinforcements show up as soon as one of the forts is captured, so allowing a unit a clear path to one of them can be very useful.

16 minutes ago, BCH said:

The flanking units may have very well routed their own 2 star unit. 2 star had '61 Springfields, the 1 star flanking units had '41 Harpers and '55 Springfields.

All three of those weapons have 60 melee if I'm recalling correctly. The AI cav will have 70 melee weapons at a minimum. Engaging in melee early on as the union is fairly difficult since your recruit stats are terrible and it's difficult to acquire good melee stat weapons for infantry early on unless you are using muskets. If you want to focus on fire instead of melee you need accuracy perks for the unit and the general as soon as possible.

18 minutes ago, BCH said:

I can bring about 10,000 to12,000 to the fight

One of the mod changes is that you get a larger reward post phillipi than normal. This has the downside of allowing the player to keep adding men even if that isn't always the best idea due to scaling. Consider if it's worth bringing all those men as it will cause the AI units to grow and their units will have better experience than yours.

2 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Base Damage Calculation is Weapon damage * Random value between Accuracy Low / 100 and Accuracy High / 100. 

oh wow I thought the accuracy low/high was the possibility curve and if you had high firearms it would be towards the top of that curve while low firearms skill would be at the bottom, so it's just random?

31 minutes ago, madmatg said:

oh wow I thought the accuracy low/high was the possibility curve and if you had high firearms it would be towards the top of that curve while low firearms skill would be at the bottom, so it's just random?

Accuracy is just a multiplier that is randomly chosen between the high low values. Firearms is evaluated on a curve but is also a multiplier in the damage calculation. It has no direct effect on accuracy that I'm aware of and definitely doesn't impact the probability.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

One of the mod changes is that you get a larger reward post phillipi than normal. This has the downside of allowing the player to keep adding men even if that isn't always the best idea due to scaling. Consider if it's worth bringing all those men as it will cause the AI units to grow and their units will have better experience than yours.

Actually one of my closest times to winning Distress Call on MG was to retire all the units from Phillipi  and redeploy the weapons to new smaller units in order to shrink the enemy scaling in the subsequent battle. I also have concerns about using the 26 gun battery of Napoleons after Phillipi in regards to effectiveness. Most of the time I have only 14 guns maximum in my batteries.

Back to the battle plans.. thanks for the info.