Game-Labs Forum

Community Representatives.

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

Requirements:

- never was banned in chat or in-game or in forum or punished for exploiting

You know this would disqualified most of the folks on here..  Hell even I got a 2 week ban once but got it reversed and only a warning for what I honestly admitted I deserved as I was a little hot headed in the convo.  Though I would more put it as no long term or multi offences on their records.

2 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

You also might consider real world geographic representation.  Perhaps by time zone or continent.  Different viewpoints to be had.

I would look at doing mulit reps for certain nations that have more than one time zone of players.  The big nations that have both US and EU time zone players along with SEA can maybe have more than one.   As honestly nations shouldn't matter in game as it's more about being a go between for the community and the dev team.

2 hours ago, Cornelius Trash said:

Having done a mix of things as a moderator/serverhead in a previous game (NavyField Europe) I suggest the following:

- Representative per nation

- Good language skills (speak english plus dominant language of that nation)

- Weekly community meetings with the representative and leaders of clans in his/her nation: Discuss issues/bugs/ideas.

- Weekly reports to the devs on status of game, bugs found, attitude of players to the game, feedback/ideas etc.

- Elected by the nation on the forum, using in-game names to vote.

- Player has to be experienced, lots of game time and knowledge of the workings of the game.

Pretty good sum up right here of what you should look for.  I would say have a certain number elected by the community but also have a few picked by Devs to.  That way they can have a mix of popular vote and the guys that have been active behind the doors with the dev team but might not be in major clans or openly known to many players.

The main key is they need to be active in the game.  We have to many folks on the forum that want to tell us how the game should be and they don't even play or have it installed any more.  If you want to be part of the active development of a game you should be actively part of that game.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, z4ys said:

guess we all mean when we talk about active that this person is actually providing "good feedback"

There is also difference between providing feedback and providing feedback.

How many who "provide feedback" are actually impartial when it comes to providing feedback and how many are actually only looking to improve their own game experience?

I think Safezones are the most prominent "feedback" example at the moment.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Batman said:

There is also difference between providing feedback and providing feedback.

How many who "provide feedback" are actually impartial when it comes to providing feedback and how many are actually only looking to improve their own game experience?

I think Safezones are the most prominent "feedback" example at the moment.

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

"CR/Team must ever have any personal interest in any game situation." Is in my opinion one crucial point.

I agree

1 hour ago, Borch said:

Admin, charismatic with strong opinion, also very stubborn person, need a counterpart that is able sometimes to bash bad game ideas out of his head. Very polite person will never succeed in that task. 

30 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I would say have a certain number elected by the community but also have a few picked by Devs to.  That way they can have a mix of popular vote and the guys that have been active behind the doors with the dev team but might not be in major clans or openly known to many players.

The main key is they need to be active in the game.  We have to many folks on the forum that want to tell us how the game should be and they don't even play or have it installed any more.  If you want to be part of the active development of a game you should be actively part of that game.

First, I think this Community Representative feedback is too late and realistically I can't believe we are asked about it now and not a year ago, but nonetheless I'll roll with it.

Biggest thing I'm worried about is that we just get a bunch of "yes-men" and no real feedback is actually given. Will that happen? probably not, but I've seen the negative side of this happen. It may be not be the opinion of others but if a person was banned for a period of time or in the past that absolutely should not ban them from being a community rep. Some of the most influential players in this game who helped drive certain mechanics we use now are the same folks who have in the past been banned or warned.....so we should just crap on them because we've all said a bad thing or two every once in a while? I think not.

@Borch states something I agree with - if these members are supposed to be a focus group for feedback going directly to the Admin and Devs then they should be proper feedback, whether that means they say "this is a shit suggestion" or "this suggestion is pretty good" is up to the Reps. They should be honest, simple.

@Sir Texas Sir also brings a good point. These reps should clearly be actively involved on the forums here and in game. If they don't actively play the game then they should not be part of the focus group. Someone must play the game and enjoy testing features.

I don't need some happy-go-lucky guy, I want someone in this group who's willing to call how they see it, whether that be bad or good, but also have a passion for the growth of this game.

• Like 5

Objectivity is simply impossible: good solutions often come from a compromise which can be reached through the confrontation of opposite views and intererests.

That's the reason why there should be one representative for each "kind" of play style and players (casual, hardcore, PVP, RVR, craft, trade, PVE OS stuff)

And each of them shall have not only a lot of hours ingame, but quite an "old" account, since only these are aware of past changes of game mechanics and about what happened after each of them.

Edited by victor

IMO requirement should be to take part in several aspects of the game rather than one, and provide constructive feedback

Why?

Example:

An "only solo PvP" player can tell a more RvR oriented player 1000 times that revengefleets (even close to reinforcment zones) are BS. The RvR player wont change his opinion that the need to protect home waters in terms of revenge fleets is just and has higher priority.

Thus they will never get to an agreeing point.

Moreover they should not be too easily triggerable and keep calm in rough situations.

Now that I think about it, its pretty hard to match all these requirements - I don't.

Suggest @rediii

Edited by Liq
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Liq said:

Thus they will never get to an agreeing point.

In fact they have to propose and suggest, not to decide.

Devs shall just have a clear and most complete picture of different views. 

It's up to the devs to decide the path of the game.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

When you look at the mods you chose there were a lot of rumours that some of them got kicked because they had a different opinion, to prevent those rumours again I would prefer a community vote.

What should these guys do? Giving you input from the community, so that you change your priorities from time to time to fix for the community broken or annoying stuff. Especially after big patches there is often really broken stuff in the game which doesnt get looked at for months. I hope those things get adressed earlier.

My votes are for @rediii @Havelock and @Otto Kohl

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 1

Community contributors have to be People who are on board with the game as it presently is, and who will still be on board in the future.

To ask the nations to elect someone, wont necessarily work, the devs and admin also Need a say, they will be the People who have to work most closely with These People.

If you look at the Problems some other games have had with censure and accusations, I think we have to be careful with who is basically going to represent our game to a wider audience.

We as a community can put Forward a list of prospective candidates, but in the end it should be down to the developers and admin to choose who they think can best work together.

We also Need to look at the People who regularly put out Videos of OW PVP and PBs, they are the guys who can get this game to a wider audience

Edited by Glorgir
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, admin said:

Captains.

As we come closer to the release we need to add additional ways we gather feedback from the community.
One of the tools some MMOs use Community representatives who are elected by the community and have direct line to devs.  (referred there after as CR)

We think it would be a good idea and are looking for ideas on this

• What do you think could be a good method to elect such representative
    • (community vote, or appointment or merit (for example size of the clan, or new player retention in a clan - or a mix of all three)
  • What do you think should be the requirements for a CR?
  • What should be responsibilities for such CR?

Are u telling us that u don't allready have favorits?

5 hours ago, admin said:

we need to add additional ways we gather feedback from the community

Why?

Suggestions section is in the Forum, all you need is to read the suggestions, to see what people want in the game.........

No?

5 hours ago, admin said:

Captains.

As we come closer to the release we need to add additional ways we gather feedback from the community.
One of the tools some MMOs use Community representatives who are elected by the community and have direct line to devs.  (referred there after as CR)

We think it would be a good idea and are looking for ideas on this

• What do you think could be a good method to elect such representative
    • (community vote, or appointment or merit (for example size of the clan, or new player retention in a clan - or a mix of all three)
  • What do you think should be the requirements for a CR?
  • What should be responsibilities for such CR?

If you use CR's, and if you intend to keep the PVE server open, then I would suggest you need a CR from the PVE server.

13 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

My votes are for @rediii @Havelock and @Otto Kohl

rediii and havelock sure....but Otto?  Laugh.  

My opinions on this are perhaps a bit jaded.  Too little too late.  I've seen active and constructive members of the community receive bans for having unpopular feedback or their posts deleted for being "off topic".  The swinging dick, we don't care about feedback mindset has been prevalent here for a while now.  Community reps have been requested for a couple of years now....why the sudden change?  Why after the loss of a large part of the player base and a couple hundred negative reviews why are community relations now suddenly a good idea?  Don't get me wrong, I've always been in favor of some sort of Community Rep system that helps filter the dialog between developer and the player base, but it just seems like maybe this should of been done a while ago before a large portion of the community got pissed and moved on.  

Anyway some of the stipulations mentioned here are unrealistic.  No bans or national news trolling posts?  Most active players on the forums AND in game can put their names down in either column if not both.  We need reps who are going to be active in game as well as on here, easy to contact and talk to, willing to hear other opinions and most importantly, someone the devs will actually listen to.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Christendom said:

why the sudden change?

maybe development pipeline is getting closer and closer to release ?

I mean... we all understand we still player-testers of a "unreleased" game, right ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

Anyway some of the stipulations mentioned here are unrealistic.  No bans or national news trolling posts?  Most active players on the forums AND in game can put their names down in either column if not both.  We need reps who are going to be active in game as well as on here, easy to contact and talk to, willing to hear other opinions and most importantly, someone the devs will actually listen to.   

I dont agree on that. Its possible we are just looking at the wrong people.

Edited by z4ys

CR's need to represent all aspects of the game or at least cover most of them.  If your trying to find 1 player in each nation that is is calling him/her self an expert on all aspects of the game (RvR, PvP in OW, Trading and PvE), make sure this person have 1000+ hours in the game and is still loving it. Then there is a decent chance that this player has the necessary knowledge and is not going to instant leave the day after he/she is elected CR. 

The most logicly imo would be to recruit/appoint clan leaders or clan representatives from the largest clans in all nations. Clans often has new and old players, so the input they get from their members have different points of views. So this gives more variety and numbers should help cover most aspects of the game. If it is a large clan then they they should have members who are active on the forum..

I think the devs should nominate the clans within each nation that meets the requirements and then let the clans can nominate a CR candidate. Then if we feel extremely democratic and there are multiple clans within one nation that meets the requirement we could have an election (or not). Just make sure you give the CR clear/easily understandable purpose, so they actively try to pick up suggestions etc. from their members. And there should be some contingency plan for replacing an inactive CR. 

I hope that the PVE server doesn't get overlooked purly in favour of the much more forum active users of the PVP server. I think the PVE server has a role for many players(to me it looks like 10-20% of players online, but I may very well be wrong) that love the game not for its PVP elements.

• Like 3

I think Gregory and Raxius would be good community reps imo.

Gregory Rainsborough

Raxius

The main reasons i suggest these 2 players are that they  both PvP as lone hunters, both PVP time to time in groups, both have good experience of RvR and both have interests in trade and ship building.  Basically both are all round players imo and are heavily committed to NA.

I think people representing different types of gameplay would also be wise,  traders, PvP focussed, RvR etc. 

No single type of player will give the "perfect mix" the trick is i guess to listen to all and try to get to a happy medium.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1