Game-Labs Forum

Patch 24: Properly depowering your staysails

admin

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Why its the worst part? It's he best part. 
Showing mast penetration WAS A MISTAKE. we reverted it back when we realized it and thought it through.

Good move. I would even like to see that for hull. I mean you see if ship loses hp or not so why show pens at all. Just show its a hit

12 minutes ago, rediii said:

its worse now again

It's not worse - it's less predictable. Less predictable gives more variability. Experience will still let you realize it faster than later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, admin said:

It's not worse - it's less predictable. Less predictable gives more variability. Experience will still let you realize it faster than later. 

Here is the deal. Show me 1 screenshot of 2 pro players dueling and the winner has no mast mods :) It is a battle deciding mod and not a tool....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rediii said:

people in demast and final exam will not understand again that they dont penetrate the mast and ragequit after getting 100 masthits without a falling mast.

Maybe include into the tutorial that masts have thickness and you even get a masthit if you dont pen and therefore do no damage?

demasting tutorial should make clear in order to demast better be close. telling to use unlocked 250m isnt enough

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HachiRoku said:

Here is the deal. Show me 1 screenshot of 2 pro players dueling and the winner has no mast mods :) It is a battle deciding mod and not a tool....

duel is different to ow. It has other rules. In a duel you know your enemy will stay.

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

people in demast and final exam will not understand again that they dont penetrate the mast and ragequit after getting 100 masthits without a falling mast.

Its a tip problem not the demasting problem. we just have to rewrite the tips better 

also there will be a pdf guide too in the future explaining concepts to players (some of it will be based on feedback from players like you and @Havelock and many others).

• Like 2

I think the worst thing about the mast hits only counting if they penetrated was the fact that the person sniping the mast knew they were getting hits while the person the the receiving end gets no notification till the mast goes down. I lost a mast on a Victory to very few hits from a Bellona and I had not even realised he was trying to snipe my masts. If penetration hits were going to stay in then the person on the receiving end should get some notification and be able to have some counter before the mast goes down. If your hull is getting destroyed you see it and can try and protect that side or use repair, but for masts they just go down which can very quickly change the battle even if you could repair.

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

duel is different to ow. It has other rules. In a duel you know your enemy will stay.

No why would the loosing ship stay lol? A 1v1 is no different than a 10v10. How do you think I just joined the brit nation and commanded port battles with a 90% win ratio? I never commanded before... I just learned from 1v1s

This is on of those things that hurts newer players. They could think they are hurting the enemies mast, but the experienced player can feel safe knowing they can’t, while he goes for their hull. 

I don’t understand switching this back, the uncertainty doesn’t really benefit anyone.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah the original change was overwhelmingly loved by every single person I talked to and me. I must say I completely oppose the change back to old mechanics. If the system was "unbalanced" because the guy shooting masts had more info then let the guy getting shot know every time his masts get penned too! That seems really obvious to me! instead of removing one of the few almost completely non-controversial and universally loved changes made recently.

Edited by Capt Aerobane
  • Like 1

The hull is much damaged with shot in a number of places, several along the water line. Several beams and riders, knees shot through, and a broken starboard cathead. Timbers of the Head and Stem full of shot with lots of parts damaged. Chains and Channels shot away, the Mizzen mast shot away nine foot above the deck, bulwarks shot away, the main mast was full of shot and sprung, the Main Yard gone, the main Top-Mast cap shot away. The Main Topsail mast yard shot away. The Foremast shot through in many places, the Foreyard shot away, Bowsprit, Jib Boom and cap shot-away. Spritsail yards and Flying-jib boom gone. Fore and Main Tops shot away and the ship taking in 12 inches of water an hour."

This is the damage HMS Victory received at Trafalgar, she was then towed to Gibraltar for repairs before limping back to Portsmouth.

The sailors on board did not know how much HP any part of their ship had, why should we?

I realise its a game and People want to see what damage they do, but surely we can live with this, they had to.

• Like 2

What if we would not only see markers for hull, sail, etc hits we did ourselves, but also those we suffered? Green markers is damage dealt, red markers is damage suffered. Then we have the same info about our ship the enemy has.

Since this info is basically already there, it might be not that much work to code?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, admin said:

Ill explain 

If you don't know if you penetrated the mast, it takes time to realize that target is fitted for masts which gives all sorts of options for the target to react
If you know if you penetrated the mast you demast in 30-60 seconds. 

This sort of thing is not good for variability of combat. Becomes too easy to make a decision to switch to hull. 

I agree. Dismasting shouldn't be without disadvantages and one of those should definitely be the counter of mast mods that the enemy should have no information about. If it was too easy to find out whether or not the enemy is using mast mods, they lose value and it will promote the one-trick pony mast sniping meta. The guns in game are too accurate / easy to aim, thereby making it too easy to dismast, if you are a skilled player. Dismasting should definitely be a viable playstyle / strategy but so should its counters ( mast mods ).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, admin said:

Its a tip problem not the demasting problem. we just have to rewrite the tips better 

also there will be a pdf guide too in the future explaining concepts to players (some of it will be based on feedback from players like you and @Havelock and many others).

To teach mast penatration, maybe you could place ships at different distances? On the further away ship, the player would need to demast the mid sections. It would give him a feeling and understanding about penetration dropoff too.

The problem with markers is that hull and sail hits only trigger when actual damage has been dealt, not when you bounce a shot or shoot at sails with low HP. Maybe this would need to change too? You still have the HP and sail indicators to judge if you dealt damage. You even have the visualization of shredded sails and bouncing shots, something like this is missing for masts imo. I cant think of a good way to visualize mast damge tho 😕

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Havelock said:

I cant think of a good way to visualize mast damge tho 

😕

What about only showing the mast-splinter animation when the mast is penetrated. 

2 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I'd actually be in favor of not seeing the enemy ship stats at all.  Just have to eyeball it with experience.

I think to make a change like that we’d need much more dynamic animations of ship damage. Large holes in a ships side, cannons overturned, ports beaten together into large gaps etc. Right now it would just be too uncertain. 

3 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I'd actually be in favor of not seeing the enemy ship stats at all.  Just have to eyeball it with experience.

Now that would be hardcore, there would be no more "one more broadside should sink him".