Game-Labs Forum

2nd Bull Run

contact

I still consider myself a newbie with Ultimate General. But feeling smug with just completing this battle with a victory. Standard level as CSA. 

I am learning. New lesson today. Do as instructed in the briefing given. I was tempted to attack rather than just hold until day 3. But I curbed my aggressive thoughts. I counter attacked on day 3 as per the orders. It worked a treat !

So lesson learned. Do as instructed in the briefings !

Ultimate General is the best computer war game I have ever played. ( on IMac). I’m still learning every battle I play. When I feel I have learned enough will try a campaign. 

Thankfully, I have a very understanding wife.

Yeah, 2nd Bull Run on the Union side is a good example. Don't attack at all in the small skirmish before the main battle begins, you are outnumbered and the skirmish will exhaust and deplete your vanguard units. And during the first day of the battle, push as hard as possible because it is possibly to seize the hill and end the fight long before your reinforcements arrive.

What I have found, generally speaking, is that the briefings match pretty well to real history (with exceptions, natch).

So, if your side historically won a given battle, it may be fairly safe to follow the briefings.  But if your side historically lost the battle, then you more likely want to deviate early and often.

Thoughts?

Hi,

Thanks River Of Death.

Your comments make sense.

I must admit at the moment I am trying to play the battles without looking at what  happened historically. 

So that if possible it makes me have to think more about the battle I am playing. This gives me more satisfaction. 

Your comments have given me something to think about.  I will consider using my own tactics  at times and see how I fair. Should I feel I can inflict damage to the enemy.

Win or lose I am finding UG is great.

But I appreciate your comments. I had not really considered the briefings matched what happened.

Kind regards

Edited by contact