Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I have a question regarding the Loot Circle size for various ships sunk or captured.

I have noticed that the loot circle for Cutter's or Lynx's and similar small ships is incredibly small...you have to virtually sail to alongside the ship to loot it. However larger ships are quite a bit larger. Is this as intended?

It makes looting smaller ships very difficult indeed in anything but a small ship yourself. Since valuable books drop as loot is this not a bit unforgiving? Can the loot range not be equal for all ships? Surely my crew use the longboat anyway to carry stuff off... they must just row a bit.

Have the crate floating in the water after the ship sunk would be great, doing solo fleet grind is tedious enough with a 1st-2nd rate to try to go back to he wreck before it sinks, It would be awesome to be able to loot that one dropped module/book while the mast is out of the water. with big ships geared for grind, its sometimes impossible to pickup loot. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

As a rule of thumb, from what I noticed is like half the shipwreck hull length.

That would effectively mean you can kiss looting small ships from a ship of the line goodbye. This has happened to me many times...it very very frustrating especially if I'm a ship length off...so near and yet so far...I just get the screams...

Why am I looting small ships in a ships of the line? Devs clearly say looting AI ships is the best way to get books and other upgrade drops and OW outside of the green zone has a much higher chance of success. So when you are out there you use what you have regardless...

Edited by Sir William Hargood
  • Like 1

It is more a secondary result of the AI coding. They, the AI, always try to keep upwind from you. Hence if they sink, you'll have trouble sailing up to the wreck ( especially in a SOL or anything with a massive stud sail plan). 

As a measure of certainty, just an advice not a disruptive remark, maybe try to fight having the wind yourself ? It becomes really easy to reach their wrecks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

It is more a secondary result of the AI coding. They, the AI, always try to keep upwind from you. Hence if they sink, you'll have trouble sailing up to the wreck ( especially in a SOL or anything with a massive stud sail plan). 

As a measure of certainty, just an advice not a disruptive remark, maybe try to fight having the wind yourself ? It becomes really easy to reach their wrecks.

Or just board anything you intend to loot.  Easy mode. ;)