Game-Labs Forum

Now that chain is limited

Yes but not hard limited, maybe time limited adding a few more minutes to the timers. If that ends up being too long make it 4 or 5x option between any hull or sail repair with maybe 2-3 rum uses. Like in dark souls you can choose between the red and blue Estus flasks, and change them from consumables in the regular shop. Put them as a quick buy item that you restock on. (or get rid of buying repairs all together and replenish them every instance of combat).

I think that would be better than having to stock them yourself or wait for someone to put them on repairs. Saves a lot of time and may or may not improve the quality of battles, the major dissent being you will be unable to pull of amazing repair and run style defeats as easily, the other side would be more decisive, engage or run type of gameplay where you will not be able to engage an enemy and pull off and repair most of your damage to come back again, possibly over extending the battle in an unrealistic manner.

With limited repairs damage may have to be adjusted to fit (internal and masts, maybe some structure changes. You don't need more health to compensate for lack of reps, you just need to match up the damage being taken with crew/cannons being lost by the end of battle) I think now it's pretty good, you lose crew a bit slowly unless you're right up side by side even with shots penning the decks. Cannons mostly get lost in rakes while the sides may lose a few cannons on either side. To balance out the more cautious playstyle limited repairs bring crew lost might be need raising a bit for ranged shots. Things likes leaks could come not always from hitting below the water line but damaging the lower part of the hull so some men keeping the lower end from being majorly cracked (which puts more importance of pump hits). Fires should more easily damage sails, or affect sailing with all the hot hair rising. They hardly do anything now because they're so easily manageable, even if starts out as a 30 crew job to put out a 20 foot fire, you don't receive note able damage for it except in the rare occurrance it starts out large enough to touch sails (a 1 and 100 fire, really)

Edited by Slim McSauce

Chain is very much overpover atm, doing double damage. Fights took longer because first of all everybody chains. Boring! Nearly no chance to geht away if you are fighting against more than one ship. Boring! Skill is worth nothing in this new chainmeta. Why do you want to limit repairs on top of it? It will only make the player witch was ganked beging sunk even faster. I had several PvP fights yesterday and those where the most boring I  ever had. Chain is overpowered like hell. Repairs are limited by the fact that you reduce speed if you take to much of them with you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BPHick said:

Now that chain is limited (yay!), time to limit sail repairs.

Why? 3rd time now....We had already UNLIMITED chain ammo, and we were able to repair ONLY ONCE.

This now, with limited chains is same, only reverted.

No need to limit repairs.

• Like 1

I had the joy of constantly retagging someone for an hour with ball while gaining on them ever so slowly because there's not enough chain on the snow to stop constant repairing. A battle that should have lasted 10 minutes took an hour and ten minutes. 

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

My only concern is drastically low chain effect on bow and stern chasers within shooting range, making it almost useless.

Imo this is fine. 4pd double heads flying 500 meters, how much damage should they do?

With the new chainsystem implemented and taken part in some real pvp, yes, real pvp, no noobbashing at florida, my impression is that basespeed matters. If you are fast, you will get away from everything, so as expected, fir fir meta, here we go again! For bigger engagements we end up with mastthicknesses of SOLs of 1st and 2nd rate too heavy to snipe those masts. So you cant chain them, you cant demast them... Pretty much unsinkable when you are in a 3rd or smaller.

I am really searching for ways to kill floating battteries 1st rates right now when you are not in a 1st yourself, but cant find any. Determined defender made boarding pretty useless, chaining is no more, demasting is nearly impossible and sinking them... yeah sure^^

I'm sort of liking it. I like that chain hurts. Bad. But one doesn't have much of it. I've both given and received unpleasant surprises when one player is expecting a rake or broadside and in comes a massive hit from chain. And it seems that by working an opponents armor and sails, you make him make some crucial choices. When you do that, I don't suppose he thinks repairs are coming to quickly.

If we increase repair time or cool down, I think we'd see less of the ebb and flow, change of momentum and advantage that makes the good battles good. I'd hate to lose that just to get rid of all the bad battles.

The most dangerous opponent is the one who is such a good sailor and shooter that he can devote a lot of slots and perks to repair mods. It's not how quickly you can repair, it's how effectively. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Fights took longer because first of all everybody chains.

lol what. how is slowing someone down making the fight take longer? in the past people would just run and defense tag literally for hours. HOURS. i once wasted 5 hours chasing one guy down. and several times i have wasted 2 hours chasing people down in battle because they would just do the stupid op mast perks and speed build. 

@Nelsons Barrel it's possible to put a Vic in rigging shock with one broadside of Bellonas chains. And grape is not limited. So the nearly non-movable floating batteries have their weaknesses. Just be patient. The moment he uses rum you have 25 minutes and about four good rakes will kill his crew down to boardable by a Bellona imo.

10 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Well, what if I use 12pd? Calibre doesn't make much of a difference, it's the distance that makes chain useless.

Caliber should make a difference also ball should do more rigging damage than it currently does. Certainly adjustments need to be made, hopefully they're not too far away. But imho most recent changes are a step in the right direction towards improved realism over arcade.

I'm not finding any problem catching people even though they don't have limited sail repairs. The amount of repairs they carry is limited anyway by other factors such as how much they want their top speed reduced. The new mechanic is working fine as it is. People just need to adjust play style a bit, take a dedicated fast hunter in your group; traders will limit repairs based on speed and how much goods they want to carry. I had a US hunter group of three chase me in my Endy(which isnt even fully maxed out for speed) and they were whining about I wouldve been dead long ago if sail repairs were limited. Well they were limited... by me cos i wanted 13kn+ speed. The Endy/Surprise/Bellona they bought just werent fast enough to do the job well enough thats all and i escaped.

Edited by PaladinFX

1 hour ago, PaladinFX said:

I'm not finding any problem catching people even though they don't have limited sail repairs. The amount of repairs they carry is limited anyway by other factors such as how much they want their top speed reduced. The new mechanic is working fine as it is. People just need to adjust play style a bit, take a dedicated fast hunter in your group; traders will limit repairs based on speed and how much goods they want to carry. I had a US hunter group of three chase me in my Endy(which isnt even fully maxed out for speed) and they were whining about I wouldve been dead long ago if sail repairs were limited. Well they were limited... by me cos i wanted 13kn+ speed. The Endy/Surprise/Bellona they bought just werent fast enough to do the job well enough thats all and i escaped.

Many of us prefer to hunt alone so taking a fast tagger isn't always an option but I understand what you are saying. I just don't think we should be encouraging the group mentality further

6 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

Many of us prefer to hunt alone so taking a fast tagger isn't always an option but I understand what you are saying. I just don't think we should be encouraging the group mentality further

Well playing solo one has to choose ones targets more careful now. I think that's not a bad thing.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:03 AM, Sir Loorkon said:

Chain is very much overpover atm, doing double damage. Fights took longer because first of all everybody chains. Boring! Nearly no chance to geht away if you are fighting against more than one ship. Boring! Skill is worth nothing in this new chainmeta. Why do you want to limit repairs on top of it? It will only make the player witch was ganked beging sunk even faster. I had several PvP fights yesterday and those where the most boring I  ever had. Chain is overpowered like hell. Repairs are limited by the fact that you reduce speed if you take to much of them with you.

at many old chaining ranges (like edge of the 750m control circle), chain is far less effective than it used to be. It is only OP close in, and at that point if you are shooting hulls you are a sitting duck.

The problem with unlimited chain was this:

Enemy's ability to damage sails would always exceed your ability to repair them.

The problem with unlimited repairs (I mean, what is it really speed-wise to carry a battle's worth of sail repairs):

Enemy's ability to repair sails will always exceed your ability to damage them.

There is a balance to be struck here that isn't "timer" related (as we've already seen with the increased rum timer, perks can still negate it), and that is to limit both the ability to do damage (limited chain, yay!) AND the ability to fix that damage (I am in favor of a 3-repair limit to simulate main suit of sails, backup suit of sails, and the ability to repair either while the other is rigged; OR the current mechanic with only the 1st repair being able to return sails to 100%, i.e. 2nd  is 93%, 3rd 85%, etc...).

Oh, and a demisted ship should not be able to get a brand-new mast in battle, only a jury-rig.