Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Ser_Slack

Quarterly or Biannual Reset of Map/With Nation/Clan Alliance Reset upon Release

Recommended Posts

Have I missed a topic? Possibly. I seen the one for a smaller map which with the population I can understand. I haven't played much lately mostly because I've had a hard time with the RVR mechanics as of late. I'm wondering if the subject has come up for what release brings in terms of the map and nation hegemony. When will the map be reset? Is there goals for a nation that will trigger such? Will there be rewards? I'd love an inroad where we can get back to nightly instant action (flags) and people not getting ass hurt over months of work. Map reset brings a mix up of what ports hold which commodities that people want. Something that brings people back on the regular. PLEASE DISCUSS.

Edited by Ser_Slack
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Naval Action I want to play a port battle happens over a course of 24 hours in a continous open battle. If it can only handle 25v25 at a time so be it with people flowing in and out. Limits on Nations getting flags pulled ect for rvr purposes. Nation with the most points at the end wins. Easy focus. Easy action. Get in your boat and get there. BR limits on some places of course. Easy money making. Easy boat making. Campaigns over the course of a few months not years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to build everything up to a 4th rate from resources in your green zone. With parts needed outside of your green zone for larger. The ability to have a semi lucrative trade in the green zone with a fast track to money taking you outside of the zone to farther ports. The farther the better payout but all being contraband you have to bring back to the capital. While your in the green zone others in your nation can attack you because of your contraband on your journey back to capital. Spit-balling.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All good ideas and I think you'll like the direction the game is going next patch with what you call an economy redux.

I don't think NA can be the game where a full victory is achieved. There's too much going into individual ports and personal assets to have people's progress wiped or delayed because their nation was crushed and they have to wait for the next round (which may take months in this particular scenario)

No, safezones even though the community has swing opinions on are integral to the game. A recent poll has shown that the majority of players would prefer an system that takes place over many days and not in 2 steps. I can see the devs going for that next, they seem to be focused on eco/ow for next patch. I doubt it they will stop momentum to focus on RVR which hold up for the most part.

OW activity on the other hand is pitifully low. The game would benefit to a more rvr side to ow pvp. Something that players could team up and work together doing to have some rvr type affect on the map, whether it be port related or something completely new. Really you look at the map and get no clue about ow pvp. It's such a fog, it's like the game doesn't keep track of what's going. All you can see is hurr this port is mine hurr this port is not. Where's the cumulative info from the various battles or the various ships that sail around, in sight of ports. Spectacles for people on land (if we're playing by the rules that state forts are manned by guns, and not magically aimed and fired by highly advanced salt and sulfur AI)

But I feel where you're coming from, it is very hard to find consistent pvp content. It's really all a big guess what happens on ow, there's no solid foundation to build interesting scenarios from when you're just sailing around blindly looking for other ships to kill. Not sure if we'll ever get that from PBs, they do pretty well as single mass events. OW pvp I do expect to have consistent pvp when I play this game. Too often do I log in, nothing but peeps in chat, very little combat news and very little information to go off of. I only have 8 outpost (the max) and more than half of them go along my territory so I can quickly jump out and get into a battle if need be. The rest are in freeports on all corners of the map, freeports that don't offer much strategic value for my nation.

To me it doesn't make so much sense that pvp happens the most either at a nations capital or freeports. Neither of those offer much of anything to an OW player. (kind of what we all are if you get down to it) OW pvp needs it's own capture mechanic to be on par with RVR.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ser_Slack said:

Have I missed a topic? Possibly. I seen the one for a smaller map which with the population I can understand. I haven't played much lately mostly because I've had a hard time with the RVR mechanics as of late. I'm wondering if the subject has come up for what release brings in terms of the map and nation hegemony. When will the map be reset? Is there goals for a nation that will trigger such? Will there be rewards? I'd love an inroad where we can get back to nightly instant action (flags) and people not getting ass hurt over months of work. Map reset brings a mix up of what ports hold which commodities that people want. Something that brings people back on the regular. PLEASE DISCUSS.

I do like the idea of regular resets but it could also see large numbers of players leaving at the same time. Perhaps post launch there could be an area (parts of the gulf/pacific coast?) which resets every few weeks, with the nations holding the most ports there gaining rewards not related to the regular RvR wars etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldnt a regular reset of the map just lead to an initial rush to capture AI ports and then minimal RvR till next reset? What would be the point in capturing new ports a few days before the reset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Routine map reset intervals, such as quarterly, have indeed been suggested and discussed here on this forum in the past.  In terms of creating an end game goal, and eliminating staleness.  Also in terms of attempting to balance nation populations.  Nothing has ever come of it, and I don't think developers have any interest.  Personally I think it has merits, but this game in fact has no career or end-game facets to it now, so it's a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

POTBS did map resets upon reaching a certain points "MAP WIN" or I think ever three months so it wouldn't get stagmentated.  The diffrence is the ports rolled back to original owners not to neutral in that game.  That would be the only way I can see this working is that the ports have an original nation/owner at the start of all resets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

map resets only cause a lot of pve. Let people just fight around ports? Its not like nothing is changing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always wondered if we could have a winning nation.

EVERYTHING done by that nation’s players counts. Harvest oak? That’s some points, but not many. Sell violins? Points, but just a few. Craft? Yep, base it on Labor spent. Sink AI, youre giving your nation more points. Sink players, alot more points. Capture or succesfully defend a port. Alot of points. After some time, a winning nation would be declared, map reset, and start over. The top 30% point producers in the winning nation would get something shiny as a reward such as a banner he flies from his ships until next reset.

And the beauty is ALT activity would earn points for a different nation than your “main” so you may want to think twice what you do with your ALT.

But I honestly don’t know if anyone would care if their nation won. But I do think the game would improve if all player activity meant something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Farrago said:

I’ve always wondered if we could have a winning nation.

EVERYTHING done by that nation’s players counts. Harvest oak? That’s some points, but not many. Sell violins? Points, but just a few. Craft? Yep, base it on Labor spent. Sink AI, youre giving your nation more points. Sink players, alot more points. Capture or succesfully defend a port. Alot of points. After some time, a winning nation would be declared, map reset, and start over. The top 30% point producers in the winning nation would get something shiny as a reward such as a banner he flies from his ships until next reset.

And the beauty is ALT activity would earn points for a different nation than your “main” so you may want to think twice what you do with your ALT.

But I honestly don’t know if anyone would care if their nation won. But I do think the game would improve if all player activity meant something.

It could be a fun way to proceed, but just foreseeing that it would likely cause much more of the nation jumping problems that we've had in the past, especially with the nation-jump-enabling DLC that's available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

It could be a fun way to proceed, but just foreseeing that it would likely cause much more of the nation jumping problems that we've had in the past, especially with the nation-jump-enabling DLC that's available.

So if you switch nations, all your previously accrued points disappear from old nation and don’t transfer to new nation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how the DLC is intended to work.  What we have had in the past is whole clans nation jumping to change the game dynamics.  I can tell you twice this happened in Global France and it destroyed the nation both times.  IMHO, if the game were to go to a quarterly battle of nations with an ensuing reset, then nation jumping should not be allowed until at least the quarterly reset period.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess what I'm suggesting is a fundamental change in the how we operate on the world make (kindof) with more focus on conquest ala Hero's and Generals ect. Just longer "wars" then H&G. Easy access to everyone on port battles (24 hour - no bitching about time zones everyone gets their turn). Simplistic resource gathering and easy, easy money. Easy ship building. Each nation having goals set at the beginning of a campaign. The time for a new player to rank up taking weeks not months.  I'm well aware that I haven't even considered the exploits via alts ect. If nothing changes fundamentally I don't see the game really taking off after release. There has to be a change that allows easier access to the masses without compromising the ship battles and the advantage of experience. Easy money - easy ship building - easy ranking - 24 hour port battles for player/nation focus. Like I said before since resource gathering, money making, and ship building easier people shouldn't get so ass hurt on a map reset. If it takes them less then a week to get re-established ect. Have "flags" cost alot that it takes either a large clan or a nation pooling money in order to pull it based upon nation census and not flat rates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Archaos said:

Wouldnt a regular reset of the map just lead to an initial rush to capture AI ports and then minimal RvR till next reset? What would be the point in capturing new ports a few days before the reset.

 

I haven't fleshed this out very much. It was 420 yesterday. I would think something like tex suggested. Having some neutral or untaken ports between a few nations - those ports can also hold a resource that makes better boats and commodities you can take back to your capital for big $$ ect.....something to focus people. I honestly think something of this nature HAS to happen to in order to keep stagnation down and player interest up. Maybe if you take some cotton producing port or port region and you get a nation wide +5% to sail repair or something. Incentives, carrots on sticks, goals for player/nation focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×