Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Next big patches: Real currency and Open world user interface update


Recommended Posts

On 4/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, admin said:

its very tempting. but we talked to several players we trust who craft A LOT and opinions are mixed.
but its indeed tempting. Rob a player - carry gold to port, no more magic wallet.

I'm for this. I trade and use four Indiamen and go long distances with them so this would effect me directly. Risky yes, but I'd like to try it out.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Captains. Next 2 patches 3 important things await us. Featured clans and rookie order list In addition to combat tutorials all freshly minted Master and commanders will get a short mission li

no  We have no plans to sell in game currency for money. and will never have this feature in game. You can hold up to this in the future.   

Posted Images

On 4/19/2018 at 12:05 PM, admin said:

Featured clan list will be added to game and only top clans will be on the list based on pve or pvp or conquest or epic event achievements. 

Would be helpful if the clans have an option to display the text box on the first tab in the clan window in this list.

This would enable clans to advertise what they are about and what they are looking to recruit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marcus Corvus said:

Would be helpful if the clans have an option to display the text box on the first tab in the clan window in this list.

This would enable clans to advertise what they are about and what they are looking to recruit.

I'd love to be able to read the clan descriptions folks have entered. I'm sure some have historical reference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 1:57 PM, Archaos said:

Not really true, all it shows is that they have learned the tricks to beat the AI either by being told by others what to do or they have watched youtube videos of how others did it.

That's a characteristic of a good captain - to learn things. I'd definitely take a captain like this to the clan. The biggest barrier I see is that people don't learn, don't search for knowledge, just complain. This exam roots out such people.

Sure, they will have to learn a lot afterwards - even if not about battles, then about ship builds, OW, communication and discipline, economy. Rooting out those who don't learn is a good start though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 6:56 AM, Louis Garneray said:

Can't wait to see that.  Having particular landmarks showing on the map will be greatly appreciated. That's what I used when I was a young sailor and we were approaching the coast, it was also used to re-calibrate the estimated position of the ship (before the satellite navigation took over).

Hurrah! .. for landmarks  It is this type of content that would make OW sailing more engaging, and encourage some of us to travel farther and more often.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No more magic wallet.

I would like to see how DNP or WO will transfer 3mln per day in their ports. :D

Or REDS and RUS will sail to Bermuda to pay for timers each day.

Edited by qw569
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, rediii said:

The need to carry gold in your hold clearly is a nice one that is fighting alts a bit but might turn out bad. ATM you can tow a ship somewhere, buy reps or maybe even a ship in for example shroud but in futhre you would have to sail gold there first.

It is still under design 
The plan has two options

  • Partial implementation
    • Just rename currencies, add gold (doubloons/double escudos) and silver coins (pieces of eight/8 reals silver coin) that will replace pvp and combat marks. Improve crafting components. Rebalance and denominate the prices (remove zeroes)
    • Implications: a little bit more immersion, but nothing changes really
  • Full implementation
    • Move to a physical coin, removing the electronic banking. 
    • Implications: Significant improvements to immersion, increased risk (especially for pvp players, who will have to carry the rewards back to ports or risk losing  them to defence fleets). 

One would argue that because Bank of England started issuing notes in 1695 - trade should not require carrying currency in the time frame of the game, because (assuming venetians and British bankers operate in the area) you could theoretically use notes that would draw onto your main account with one of the banks. We are deliberating on this internally right now.

Improve crafting components.
We will adjust the blueprints for ships and goods removing unnecessary friction from the system. Some of the blueprints are just fake work and could just use raw material as the main source.  For example ship blueprints will require just logs and will not require the captain to mill the planks (as shipyard can do it on their own). This might require a resource/material wipe. If it happens we will announce some time before it happens.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qw569 said:

No more magic wallet.

I would like to see how DNP or WO will transfer 3mln per day in their ports. :D

Or REDS and RUS will sail to Bermuda to pay for timers each day.

It is not us with the biggest problem. If the money transfer should make sence, you have to transfer money to the port that need it. So a clan can not just have it in one big pot, they have to sail the money out to every port. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, admin said:

It is still under design 
The plan has two options

  • Partial implementation
    • Just rename currencies, add gold (doubloons/double escudos) and silver coins (pieces of eight/8 reals silver coin) that will replace pvp and combat marks. Improve crafting components. Rebalance and denominate the prices (remove zeroes)
    • Implications: a little bit more immersion, but nothing changes really
  • Full implementation
    • Move to a physical coin, removing the electronic banking. 
    • Implications: Significant improvements to immersion, increased risk (especially for pvp players, who will have to carry the rewards back to ports or risk losing  them to defence fleets). 

One would argue that because Bank of England started issuing notes in 1695 - trade should not require carrying currency in the time frame of the game, because (assuming venetians and British bankers operate in the area) you could theoretically use notes that would draw onto your main account with one of the banks. We are deliberating on this internally right now.

Improve crafting components.
We will adjust the blueprints for ships and goods removing unnecessary friction from the system. Some of the blueprints are just fake work and could just use raw material as the main source.  For example ship blueprints will require just logs and will not require the captain to mill the planks (as shipyard can do it on their own). This might require a resource/material wipe. If it happens we will announce some time before it happens.

Does it mean that a clan have to sail money out to every port they hold, ore is it only a player based thing. In my opinion if you make gold transfer a thing, it should go both for player, But also for RvR part. 

Guess there will be an bank option, think it only was pieates that had all there gold on the ship og burried on an remote Island. The rest trusted in a bank to hold it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, staun said:

Does it mean that a clan have to sail money out to every port they hold, ore is it only a player based thing. In my opinion if you make gold transfer a thing, it should go both for player, But also for RvR part. 

Guess there will be an bank option, think it only was pieates that had all there gold on the ship og burried on an remote Island. The rest trusted in a bank to hold it.

another option is to PVE around the port hitting merchants for materials and what not if your trades routes are already extended to their limits.

A really cool change of pace, a bit more purpose on the OW :)

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, admin said:
  • Full implementation
    • Move to a physical coin, removing the electronic banking. 
    • Implications: Significant improvements to immersion, increased risk (especially for pvp players, who will have to carry the rewards back to ports or risk losing  them to defence fleets). 

 

Guess its time for basic cutter hunting if it gets in :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

another option is to PVE around the port hitting merchants for materials and what not if your trades routes are already extended to their limits.

A really cool change of pace, a bit more purpose on the OW :)

There is plenty of ways to make the money. You can sail them ofc. But as you said you can also do pve stuff. 

Hell I even guess ppl cross nation will make deals. It will for sure make the logistic more important. My biggest fear is it get 1/2 solution, so it only affect players and not the RvR part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, staun said:

Hell I even guess ppl cross nation will make deals. It will for sure make the logistic more important. My biggest fear is it get 1/2 solution, so it only affect players and not the RvR part.

The physical (immersive and realistic) coins will definitely make it more immersive and interesting in the short term. 

  • It will actually affect the average trader a lot less - he still sails both legs of the trip, risking his ship, thus it does not affect his time. 
  • It will affect the PVP raider most - he will have to conserve the spoils and get them to safety. Currently he just sinks targets and marks/gold is sent to his magic wallet. If the feature is implemented - marks/coins will be sent to his hold and he will have to get them back to save them (or lose them to defence fleets or other raiders). 
  • It will make patrols more popular also. 

Increasing risk for pvp players (who cherish it) is actually a good thing to my belief.
Maybe the community will help see the hidden red flags that will ruin this feature long term

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, staun said:

Full implementation

  • Move to a physical coin, removing the electronic banking. 
  • Implications: Significant improvements to immersion, increased risk (especially for pvp players, who will have to carry the rewards back to ports or risk losing  them to defence fleets). 

 

This sounds so amazing, having nations form treasure fleets to move currency around.
Even if its not 100% historical accurate (Admin mentioned banknotes in another post) it would still be so much more realistic than what we have now.
A big + from me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, admin said:

The physical (immersive and realistic) coins will definitely make it more immersive and interesting in the short term. 

  • It will actually affect the average trader a lot less - he still sails both legs of the trip, risking his ship, thus it does not affect his time. 
  • It will affect the PVP raider most - he will have to conserve the spoils and get them to safety. Currently he just sinks targets and marks/gold is sent to his magic wallet. If the feature is implemented - marks/coins will be sent to his hold and he will have to get them back to save them (or lose them to defence fleets or other raiders). 
  • It will make patrols more popular also. 

Increasing risk for pvp players (who cherish it) is actually a good thing to my belief.
Maybe the community will help see the hidden red flags that will ruin this feature long term

Oh I see it as good thing to make money matter. I just hope we go all in, and not just for PvP. If you have transfer money to pay for ports, well it for sure will give a lot more OW and therefore the chance for PvP. 

Ofc there are risk in implementing money. It can have an effect on trader, and give them more loses. To big lose the stop trade, less OW.

It can effect Nations will to have ports, like the high price on a timer now. We might end up with few ports owned by a nation. But as I said, I think you should go all in. Not just for the Trader/PvP part, But also implement it for RvR. It is a high five from my side.

Btw I do also like the Idea that marks ends up in the cargo and that they have to sail them back.  Only concers is if you have to sail them back to your main port, I have the same with upgrades, if the chest goes. We might spend all oure time moving things around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin said:

It is still under design 
The plan has two options

  • Partial implementation
    • Just rename currencies, add gold (doubloons/double escudos) and silver coins (pieces of eight/8 reals silver coin) that will replace pvp and combat marks. Improve crafting components. Rebalance and denominate the prices (remove zeroes)
    • Implications: a little bit more immersion, but nothing changes really
  • Full implementation
    • Move to a physical coin, removing the electronic banking. 
    • Implications: Significant improvements to immersion, increased risk (especially for pvp players, who will have to carry the rewards back to ports or risk losing  them to defence fleets). 

One would argue that because Bank of England started issuing notes in 1695 - trade should not require carrying currency in the time frame of the game, because (assuming venetians and British bankers operate in the area) you could theoretically use notes that would draw onto your main account with one of the banks. We are deliberating on this internally right now.

Improve crafting components.
We will adjust the blueprints for ships and goods removing unnecessary friction from the system. Some of the blueprints are just fake work and could just use raw material as the main source.  For example ship blueprints will require just logs and will not require the captain to mill the planks (as shipyard can do it on their own). This might require a resource/material wipe. If it happens we will announce some time before it happens.

Using notes where very common in the late 18th and in the whole of the 19th century. For Denmark the German town of Hamburg played a significant role as the bank system there where known for a high degree of reliability. The captain loaned money by issuing notes that the buyer could claim. And the other way around when a cargo was selled. 

The system required a high degree of personal trust and personal contacts where important. In mid 19th century the price on grain failed and many bankers went bankrupt as too many notes where issued without any real value. Out of this chaos began Carl Marx his analysis of some of the Hamburg bankers and thereby sparked the foundation of socialism and communism. 

The claim contract system we have in NA pretty much mirror the real thing. Gold dubloons is much more fantasy and something that belongs to a Pirates of the Caribbean universe 200 years before the period of NA.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

use actual AI to transfer gold of player.

ex:  pvp at La Tortue and want to transfer my gold to KPR, i can choose between doing it by myself or by ''AI button''...maybe i can decide if send my gold in a single ship in only 1 trip or maybe 3 trips.

so an AI trader leave from La T and travel with my gold to KPR but no one can understand if it is a simple trader or a trader with my gold inside, so other players have a new gameplay as hitting AI traders and not only AI battle fleet. every nation will have player PVE oriented that can become finally a threat for PVP player who wants to send their gold by AI traders cause they havn't time or enought ship hold to transfer everything by themselves.

 

this can be also a good mechanic to buy in other ports some res and transfer them back to homeland.   

i can travel with my LGV with gold inside to buy cartaghena, buy cartaghena  and travel back with carta in the hold or....i can travel with my cutter in a port selling cartaghena, put a contract and an AI trader automatically leave my gold-deposit-OP with the correct amount of gold of the contract, travelling until the port with contract, fulfill the contract and sail back with amount of resource.

again PVE players can intercept other players trade routes, more patrol then, more PVP, more interaction.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fox2run said:

 

The claim contract system we have in NA pretty much mirror the real thing. Gold dubloons is much more fantasy and something that belongs to a Pirates of the Caribbean universe 200 years before the period of NA.

Actually Double Escudo (Or common name Doubloon) was used very actively up to almost 1873

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubloon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_escudo
 

Spanish dollar or pieces of eight or piastr or Real de a Ocho was a legal tender in United States up to 1857!!! 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar

It means General Lee and General Grant and Lincoln himself could have used the pieces of eight in paying for bread for example.  

Not only that: The pricing of equities on U.S. stock exchanges in 18-dollar denominations persisted until the New York Stock Exchange converted first to pricing in sixteenths of a dollar on 24 June 1997, and shortly after that, to decimal pricing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin said:

Just rename currencies, add gold (doubloons/double escudos) and silver coins (pieces of eight/8 reals silver coin) that will replace pvp and combat marks.

When the change will hit, will combat/PVP marks already in possession of players be converted/convertable in game or shall be spent before?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, victor said:

When the change will hit, will combat/PVP marks already in possession of players be converted/convertable in game or shall be spent before?

If this change hits current marks will convert of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...