Game-Labs Forum

Tutorial feedback 2

On 5/9/2018 at 5:34 AM, Lovec1990 said:

Lol im unable to complete the endurance exam second brig always gets me despite looting first one and repairing

It's kinda a pain. Boarding the first is easy enough but I guess a guy has to kite the 2nd brig. I tried it a few times and lost, lol. Rage quit. Poor noobs.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, Lovec1990 said:

Lol im unable to complete the endurance exam second brig always gets me despite looting first one and repairing

You can run away for 20 mins and repair twice if your real bad takes time but once your fixed up come back and finish the other, its important to keep shooting the same side of the ship rather than both sides, but never sit side by side trading broad sides unless he is nearly done. Keep turning while your loading then come back in for another shot.

Edited by Fletch67
  • Like 1

Thanks for advices but i finished it with rage boarding first one then i loot it.I had brief broadside firefight with second one then i ran and repaired and returned and rage board it as well.

Final exam was alot easier i completed it in 4th try.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the time to try the tutorial, haven't done the exams yet, it was a hoot. Learning to use manual sails was great, never did that before, I've been wanting to practice it on the PVE server but never got around to it. VERY important skill for everyone. on the Pursuit and Capture, I've always been the prey not the attacker. I've always been fleeing not chasing. What an absolute bit of fun. Put the dog out of your room, they can smell and sense the excitement and won't leave you alone. He's about 36 kilos stands 3/4th of a meter tall and when excited won't leave you alone. Gotten me sunk more than once. 

I hope it will let me pick up where I left off because I have to take a break. I've a couple of ideas for improvement but need to hash it around in my mind first.

Fair winds and off to the real world 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a new player, having only recently completed the tutorials, exams and final, I thought the difficulty was ok, but that the tutorials were ineffective at covering essential game mechanics. 

As others have noted, things like trading, outfitting ships, outposts, buildings, perks, etc... should be covered by the tutorial. 

Hopefully it will be a moot point, as I hear that the rock-paper-scissors style competition to see who has the fastest connection may be replaced with a better boarding mechanism, but the boarding tutorial covers hardly anything about boarding.

Also, when the overwhelming bulk of the content focuses on shooting, it gives a new player the impression that naval action is a shooting arcade.

I think more sailing info in the tutorial e.g. sailing profiles, shallows, storms etc... would make it seem more like sailing was a part of the game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the final exam (took 2 attempts to pass) and I’ll say I enjoyed the tutorials and exams very much!!! The rewards and advancement for successful completion are very nice!!! 

I would suggest a tutorial on how to tack through the wind featuring a fore and aft rigged ship, a small square rigger (Brig) and finally a big slow top tier square rigged ship so the player can see the different and various difficulties involved. An exam featuring the top tier ship could be done...

Also, there’s no fore and aft rigged ship tutorial. They’re all brigs and Cerberus... maybe a handling tutorial for fore and aft rigged...

Maybe a map tutorial... cover the various features to see and tools.

Maybe a lineship tutorial on keeping station and following commands during PBs??? This is probably a clan responsibility.

An open world tutorial of just the basics. Sails up/sails down. Clicking to identify people and what info shown means. Navigation tool use. How to get back into port (this is asked a lot in help).

A tagging tutorial. Mechanics. Positioning. Defensive tagging.

In an earlier post I saw the admin say they originally had the Cerberus against a third rate for the final exam... please more challenges like this!!  Rewards could be extra dock slots, coupons to open new ports, new building basic materials (the stuff you need to have to open a building)

I was interested in, after half a year, playing NA again and tried the tutorial. Well what can i say its ok the demasting some said has to little time is doable. All in all its good for new player to learn the buttons and so on but we need also one for navigating and boarding more in depth.

Now to the bad part the last 2 exams the endurance is a little bit easier and with repairing (repairs from the enemy ship) in between easy done. The final exam i have no idea how to do it boarding like someone recommended is problematic because of the shit-ton mods the npc has, especially if the other one shoots you from behind (wich can be prevented) and after doing it you have almost no crew. Then the idea from admin not shure if there were to much changes in between but out of 5 or so tries iam pretty convinced that the ships try to stay together sometimes they even turn or cut sails for it also with the limited chain i see no way to shoot them to 50% besides its suicide to do it you take to much damage (maybe give us carros and a proper ship and not the fir garbage that alone looses 5+ crew whenever it gets hit while it starts burning). 

In the end i think it can be done i just didnt find the right way to do it. And i will never and the reason for that is it is as fun as diarrhea! With 20 min crew refill timer and 10 min repair its a real endurance test and you can ask yourself will you shoot yourself in the head before the timer is done or not. Its just a waste of time, then better let us beat 1 cerb and one brig or something without repairs. All in all a one 1 dura ship is not worth it!

And if you are a new guy and experience this maybe are good enought to do it then sail out and get ganked iam pretty shure you will ragequit. And the whole "we dont want everyone" well then you should develop mechanics for a 200 people playerbase because i dont think there are a lot more hardcore age of sail fans out there.

Sorry if this sounds angry or something iam really not just wrote what i was thinking. BTW. its funny how your never played office noobs are better then so many well known veteran players. ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

IMO all exams are OK. You can find them challenging as a new player and that is good.

I have completed every task on 1st try except the final exam which took me 2 tries (I am mediocre player at best with some NA experience). The rewards are great for a newbie and the instant promotion to MC is great too. If you can pass the exams then you are competent to sail a frigate. Good idea, I like it a lot. 

I also think that new players should not skip the 6th rates completely. They are great source of fun and fast action with minimal risk. Losing your Herc right after completing the tutorial could be painful.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The final exam is simply too hard. I understand that the game developers want it to be hard but right now for myself, a new player, its just frustrating. I've tried it around 5 times now and each time I'm left frustrated. My latest attempt I reduced one NPC ships sails to 58% then kited the other away while using stern guns to hit his masts. Eventually I knocked down two of his masts by which time the other ship caught up. I kited that one away but was simply too badly damaged and was sunk. 

I think one of the biggest problems is that the Exams are found under the Tutorial section. New players, such as myself, feel the need to complete the tutorials and exams before we consider moving to the main game. When you feel frustrated at not being able to complete the tutorial section you feel that the game is too hard and simply leave. 

A decent compromise would be to put the exams under a separate button rather than having it found in the Tutorial. Recommend that players move on to the exams after they finish the tutorial, highlight the rewards that are awarded for completing them, but don't make it feel like you have to complete them in order to join the main game. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Splice said:

The final exam is simply too hard. I understand that the game developers want it to be hard but right now for myself, a new player, its just frustrating. I've tried it around 5 times now and each time I'm left frustrated. My latest attempt I reduced one NPC ships sails to 58% then kited the other away while using stern guns to hit his masts. Eventually I knocked down two of his masts by which time the other ship caught up. I kited that one away but was simply too badly damaged and was sunk. 

I think one of the biggest problems is that the Exams are found under the Tutorial section. New players, such as myself, feel the need to complete the tutorials and exams before we consider moving to the main game. When you feel frustrated at not being able to complete the tutorial section you feel that the game is too hard and simply leave. 

A decent compromise would be to put the exams under a separate button rather than having it found in the Tutorial. Recommend that players move on to the exams after they finish the tutorial, highlight the rewards that are awarded for completing them, but don't make it feel like you have to complete them in order to join the main game. 

It is not that hard. Try to look under Guides. @Anolytic made a good guide. Just sail very close to the AI. Then it dosent shoot. Just make sure you have more Crew then the AI. Then you dont have to fear boarding 

Edited by staun

• 3 weeks later...

dunno if this is the right place to post

the last tutorial seems buggy, where you have to capture and then rig repair a ship

He was going downwind at about 60 - 70% sails, yet only going a knot?

Edit: Or might that be because he transfered the cargo? and was overloaded?

Edited by Liq

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We also need an in-game tutorial on crafting and better info for all the recopies. It took me a month before i even knew there were encyclopedias that could be crafted....and that was by watching live steams and then asking ppl in the game. All this info should be in game.