Game-Labs Forum

Hercules ship feedback

On 4/19/2018 at 8:08 PM, Hethwill said:

Interesting enough the broadsides work better in Random as opposed to the rolling due to the main gun deck battery placement.

i noticed this as well! the fire rate between cannons seems to be incredibly slow. to get from bow to stern takes a long time, i dont know why this is. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archaos said:

He also said it would be prohibitively expensive, so I wouldnt hold out hope of getting one soon.

But this example reinforces my point as to why there is a requirement for a safe area to test newbuilds out. It doesnt need to give xp or loot but allow someone get the feel for a vessel they have not sailed before or to try different gun loadouts. 

That would have been handy, as I'd only wanted to see what it could be like in combat. If it is available at a prohibitively expensive price I doubt I'd go for it*, but at least it won't be lost to everyone forever.

*I'd hoped, from the pictures, that it would be akin to ships like this, but it is so bizarrely (and heavily) armed and looks quite odd, as well as feeling a little sluggish to me in the one combat I had, so I doubt I'd have gotten on with it anyway.

Which country built the Hercules? I've looked at the Wikipedia page for "Hercules (ship)", and the only ships listed there that fit the bill are a French 38-gunner from the mid-1600s and an Argentinian "frigate that served as flagship of the second Argentine squadron during the Independence War". I'm assuming this is the Argentinian one? Was she originally a Spanish ship, then?

4 minutes ago, Arvenski said:

Which country built the Hercules? I've looked at the Wikipedia page for "Hercules (ship)", and the only ships listed there that fit the bill are a French 38-gunner from the mid-1600s and an Argentinian "frigate that served as flagship of the second Argentine squadron during the Independence War". I'm assuming this is the Argentinian one? Was she originally a Spanish ship, then?

There is some info and links in that thread http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/5702-hercules-frigate-30-guns-with-plans/

Appears to be a former russian vessel.

Edited by Serk
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 7:17 PM, Banished Privateer said:

Sabicu - Crew Space

Seeing that: admin would you mind telling people in the tutorials somehow what woods basically mean in this game. I mean a new player building this powerful ship in a total crap planking hurts. Sabicu/crew space... 🙈

I really liked my Hercules ;]  Had it fully open after few solo fleet missions for 5th rates (to grind it fully took me less time than to do tutorial exams ;]). I had it teak/teak and planing it to use as a raider against traders. I've finished first raid being ganked by Prussian Conni and Bella. Thanks to new chain shot changes I wasn't able to run away from those two powerfull oponents 😕

1. Ship itself - Liked it a lot. At the begining I thought it's 5th rate ;] So I took couple of my NPC Ediminions and do fleet missions agains 3-4 5th rates and was able to survive and trully enjoy sailing and dealinig nice damage. It took me only 3-4 missions to have if fully open and ready to sail. After sailing 5th and 4th rates for a while this one was like a wind for me :D I have 280 crew with extra hammocks and in upgrades and knowlege slots so had enouh crew to operate all guns/sail and even few spares. I wish I could have it for a bit longer to be able to test it further... I hope one day it will be available in game.  Generally having it as a preminum - non tradable/capturable doesn't make a sense for me - they gonna end up as a priceless sign in dock cause people will be afraid to take them out for a ride.  I'd love to be able to capture one from somebody... or even buy it for few milions at the market :D

2. Tutorial - last mission was too hard for me to do without asking for help and watching videos on youtube ;]  I did shoot 150-180 mast hits to two cerberuses planing to slow them down/separate and kill one after another... no **ckin way! What I learned from tutorial about demasting is not working in further part during exam (??!!). So eventually capture one of them NPCs at the very begining, jump into it (had 3-4 boadsides of double shots available!!!) and killed other one. For me last exam is stupid cause only one way to pass it... if those NPSc wouldn't be overpowered, whole tutorial would be nice. 

3. Chain shot changes - just died thanks to it. Small 6th rates won't have any chance with bigger oponents (expecially with biger numbers of them). Since only 2 broadsides od chain shots available you'd always be overshoot by oponents. And even one agains one - bigger ships have more guns to take your masts down with ball shots. Not fair at all! 

Sorry for a bit of off-topic. 

Great ship and I hope to be able to have one more in the future :P

Edited by Tommallionus

On 4/20/2018 at 4:58 PM, Hethwill said:

Full 9's balances crew needs and output broadside weight. Fitted for extra crew ( did not get any extra refit on mine, plain ship ) she gets all stations okay.

The alpha of the top guns, if equipped, will pay off against a oblivious clueless opponent.

Full 6 pounders she is a fine raider with the sail plan to pay off for the trade off of shot weight and to get her out of trouble if needed, not guaranteed though.

NOtice you can't do 6 on bottom deck unless I'm reading it wrong, but even all 9's on the bottom two would be a nastie little beast. I'm running Poods, 32, 6 right now to grind out slots on one and it's a mean little beast agaisnt these AI's so far and still fast being Teak/WO build.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:17 PM, Banished Privateer said:

:lol::lol::lol: Sabicu - Crew Space :lol::lol::lol:

BDKsO-SkSbegofGbyCeggw.png

I'll take a beat that was a US or GB player?  Most likely US?  

23 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

i noticed this as well! the fire rate between cannons seems to be incredibly slow. to get from bow to stern takes a long time, i dont know why this is. 

While grinding on the slots and fighting shallow ships I notice you got to play with your firing range a bit cause you will miss half your broad sides on a smaller target cause they fire oddly.

• Like 1

1st impressions:

- Slow fire rate: It takes a few extra seconds for a round of rolling front/back fire to complete. I guess it is because of the position of the cannons? Not a huge deal (you get used to it) but                                  the most noticeable feature of the ship. 

- Nice HP and firepower: this ship feels like it needs its own class. Its stronger than other 6th rates but not quite a frigate. 

- Not much Yard power: It could just be me, but I feel like yard turning does not do much in regards to ship steering. This result is a sluggish turn rate. 

- Good speed: My T/WO version does 14 knots with 3 speed upgrades and full repairs

- Great sailing profile: not a down-wind chaser, but more versatile than the Prince

Overall, I think it is a great addition, it is one of my favorite additions in a long time. That being said, I dont think it balances well with other 6th rates. If the ship becomes more widely available, it will definitely become the new shallow water PB meta ship. 

Not the most beautiful ship but for sure one of the best modelled ships in game so far. The details and complexity of the standing and the running rigging is just awesome :wub:

Dear DEVS Need Help recovering ship.
So I just finished the final exam, took out the Hercules to see what she can do. Capped a LGV, I switched ships to see what wood the lgv was because you have not fixed that bug since last freaking year and the only way to see a capped ship wood is to switch it, and then it told me I can't switch back to my Hercules because god knows what drove you guys to put that mechanic in the game. The battle timed out and now the Hercules is gone. Real nice! Is there any chance you could restore it for me or something? I spent hours trying to pass that friggin final exam just so I can get the middle finger from a stupid bug from last year. Please help. Maximum frustration level achieved.

• Like 4

On 4/21/2018 at 2:52 PM, Rikard Frederiksen said:

As much as I'd love to have given feedback on this ship, I was jumped before I could even try using it in a PvE mission (as a test run) and lost it to a Trincomalee. Typical of my sort of luck, really; here, have a one of a kind ship you won't be able to get again! Oh look, you've lost it.

you have to laugh really....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

How? Unless you've figured out a way around it there's no way to get Herc or Rattle from tutorials more than once?

I just assumed they would make uniform limitations for the upcoming prem ship packs. Yacht can't be given away either and we can click out one each day.

53 minutes ago, Wraith said:

But you could cap them

Right now you can't. At least this is the case with herc. 

54 minutes ago, Wraith said:

and it should be that way for premium ships too in my opinion

I don't know what they'll decide on. Surely you see the inevitable issues of people using friends or alts to click out one ship a day and letting them be capped?

59 minutes ago, Wraith said:

It's going to make battles some pretty inconsistent affairs if you can board and cap some players but not others, etc.

Maybe? Then again the only difference will be people can't keep disabled premium ships.

29 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Is it confirmed that premium ships are going to be one-a-day redeemables?!  I assumed they were one-off purchases?

I haven't seen any explanation in detail. Again, I'm assuming based on how premium vehicles and vessels work in all other games that I know of (+ the yacht), so I could be sadly mistaken in this sandbox logic.

Would you buy a one-off ship for real money? It's a really hard sell for me. I don't mind supporting the development of this game and I have quite shamelessly bought alts to make my life as easy as possible.

What do you mean by "trade into your ship"?

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

apture and leave your vessel behind knowing all an enemy can do is sink it but, for which you could potentially hop in, use up another ships armor and chain, then hop back in your original ship later in the battle.

That could still be a thing. The only difference being you can't bring a prem back home once the instance is over.

especially when it entails demonstrably superior ships to anything you can craft! 

Why do you say this?

What's the point of even participating in open world activities then?

That is the main attraction for me.

then the economy is shot

But I thought you guys loved doing that. Would you stop OW activities because of a few premium ships? RvR crafting won't be affected as they won't sell a bunch of lineships.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The Hercules is a beautiful ship and very powerful.

It did seem to me that I progressed way too rapidly unlocking the knowledge slots for this ship.  I imagine that is due to it's very high dpm for it's rate.  I think it should take a bit more work, especially for the 4th and 5th slots.

Despite complaints that it sits too low and the big guns are underwater too much, I think it's a good compromise for it's firepower.  Under battle sails or healing downwind, it's not a problem getting a good shot off with those.

Glad to hear some non-premium 6th rates will be buffed.  That and adjustments of the shallow ship BRs will be a good thing.  I'll expect that to improve the balance overall.

As for premiums being non-capturable, I'd prefer being able to capture them in the battle instance but, as @jodgi suggested above, loose them as soon as the battle instance is over.  Or perhaps instead, loose any captured premiums as soon as you enter any port.

Once-a-day dlc redeemables do seem like too much.  Once-a-month, like forged papers, wouldn't be bad though.

2 hours ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

I like this small ship a lot but it looks weird to me as it sits quite high. Especially when compared to the plans. 

She doesn't look like she's riding high to me, judging by dark Youtube videos. Just fat and ugly by nature. :)

On 6/11/2018 at 6:45 PM, Greysteak said:

Once-a-day dlc redeemables do seem like too much.  Once-a-month, like forged papers, wouldn't be bad though.

Once a month no one will buy them. Also if it was once a week.

Premium content shall be well ... premium ... which implies some actual advantage for the purchaser.

Edited by victor

The thing that worries me is the whole issue of balance, both the herc and xebec are shallow ships have high crew count and more firepower than other ships of their class.

Are we not going towards P2W port battles in shallow ports?

I bet 4th rate premium ships will be next.

I guess if it's what is needed to keep servers paid for though is way it must be.

11 hours ago, Dibbler said:

The thing that worries me is the whole issue of balance, both the herc and xebec are shallow ships have high crew count and more firepower than other ships of their class.

Are we not going towards P2W port battles in shallow ports?

I bet 4th rate premium ships will be next.

I guess if it's what is needed to keep servers paid for though is way it must be.

i agree on balance but i kinda wish for premium 3rd rate

• 3 weeks later...

Reduce the crew of the Hercules to 160, reduce base speed by 2kn then it is a balanced ship. Premium ships have the advantage to be free and unique they should never be better than actual ships. Otherwise people will spam Herc´s and requins and new Players will consider this game to be Pay2Win

• Like 3